Marvel Studios Developing Asian Superhero Film ‘Shang-Chi’

DCLcruiser

His story will eventually be woven into other MCU properties.

Just think of the first Ant-Man or Doctor Strange movie which seemed to be unconnected one-offs to the MCU, but then got folded in.
Hopefully it's good. The Madarin's ten rings (actual rings) have a lot of power/back story that hopefully will be focused on.

And I guess, maybe a tie-in to the Middle East branch of the group, Ten Rings, who attacked Tony etc.

khlaylav

Ronin, the term, is Japanese...Ten Rings founder is Chinese. That might not go over well culturally to cross the two.
Doesn't necessarily have to be a positive association.

Dude basically became the Punisher after his family got Snapped. Ten Rings is a criminal/terrorist organization. Do the math (which would involve a lot of blood).

Anyways, I liked the trailer. Sometimes a good martial arts movie is just a good martial arts movie; don't necessarily need a connection to the wider universe to watch.

DCLcruiser

Doesn't necessarily have to be a positive association.

Dude basically became the Punisher after his family got Snapped. Ten Rings is a criminal/terrorist organization. Do the math (which would involve a lot of blood).

Anyways, I liked the trailer. Sometimes a good martial arts movie is just a good martial arts movie; don't necessarily need a connection to the wider universe to watch.
Def wouldn't be as good association. Ronin Samurai invaded mainland China.

I'm also wondering how they will bridge the Ten Rings groups. In Iron Man, etc, and based on their flag, they are a Middle-Eastern/Turkic organization. The founder, the Mandarin, is Chinese, and has 10 rings wall decor in Chinese-type characters. Maybe some sort of Genghis Khan or Silk Road connection, or they just needed bad guys and found friends in the Levant.

erasure fan1

The trailer looked promising. Maybe it was just me, but the trailers production, especially in the audio department, seemed a bit poor. But the content was good. I do hope we get a little tie to iron man 3 and the dvd short with Trevor in prison. I can't see them just ignoring it.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I'm also wondering how they will bridge the Ten Rings groups. In Iron Man, etc, and based on their flag, they are a Middle-Eastern/Turkic organization. The founder, the Mandarin, is Chinese, and has 10 rings wall decor in Chinese-type characters. Maybe some sort of Genghis Khan or Silk Road connection, or they just needed bad guys and found friends in the Levant.

In Iron Man, the antagonist appropriated the title of The Mandarin which he thought was an urban legend and even set up an actor to play the part. The real Mandarin was not amused.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The trailer looked promising. Maybe it was just me, but the trailers production, especially in the audio department, seemed a bit poor. But the content was good. I do hope we get a little tie to iron man 3 and the dvd short with Trevor in prison. I can't see them just ignoring it.
Trevor is no longer in prison. He was broken out by an agent of the "real" Mandarin in order to punish Trevor personally for using his name.

It was in the Marvel one-shot called "All Hail The King".

Last edited:

erasure fan1

Trevor is no longer in prison. He was broken out by an agent of the "real" Mandarin in order to punish Trevor personally for using his name.

It was in the Marvel one-shot called "All Hail The King".
Yes, that's what I'm talking about. I'm hoping they just don't gloss over it
I'd like to remind those that keep bringing up Iron Man 3, in that movie that group calling themselves the "Ten Rings" was fake.

Shang-Chi is the first MCU film to show the "real" Ten Rings.
Yes, but because of the short, they are tied together. It doesn't need 45min of explaining but I think it does need to be addressed. I don't think you can have an entire movie with a fake Mandarin, and then bring the real one in and have no explanation. Would it be a deal breaker? No not really. But I think it would be a real plus in my opinion.

DCLcruiser

I'd like to remind those that keep bringing up Iron Man 3, in that movie that group calling themselves the "Ten Rings" was fake.

Shang-Chi is the first MCU film to show the "real" Ten Rings.
Iron Man (1) has Tony's convoy attacked and he is taken captive by the real Ten Rings (Middle East branch). They capture him in order to have him build a Jericho missile. He instead builds a metal suit and escapes.

Iron Man 3 has the fake Mandarin, etc.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Yes, that's what I'm talking about. I'm hoping they just don't gloss over it

Yes, but because of the short, they are tied together. It doesn't need 45min of explaining but I think it does need to be addressed. I don't think you can have an entire movie with a fake Mandarin, and then bring the real one in and have no explanation. Would it be a deal breaker? No not really. But I think it would be a real plus in my opinion.
Well if the rumors are true Trevor is to make an appearance in Shang-Chi. We'll have to see if that comes true or not, but its at least out there that he'll show up.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Iron Man (1) has Tony's convoy attacked and he is taken captive by the real Ten Rings (Middle East branch). They capture him in order to have him build a Jericho missile. He instead builds a metal suit and escapes.

Iron Man 3 has the fake Mandarin, etc.
There is a reason why I said Iron Man 3.

Also its typically called a Cell not a Branch when dealing with a smaller subset of a terrorist organization operating independently of the main organization.

DCLcruiser

There is a reason why I said Iron Man 3.

Also its typically called a Cell not a Branch when dealing with a smaller subset of a terrorist organization operating independently of the main organization.
I was recapping Iron Man 1 because you said that Shang-Chi would be the first time we see the real Ten Rings. The real Ten Rings have a part in Iron Man 1, 2 and Ant-Man. Shang-Chi will be the origin story of the Ten Rings (the group and the alien jewelry).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom