Marvel Studios Developing Asian Superhero Film ‘Shang-Chi’

Kirby86

I'll say this about "Superhero Fatigue" we are definitely in a post Endgame lull. The only Phase 4 movie that made over a billion was Spider-Man. It's not great but it seems most of the other films made money but the constantly having a billion dollar per film days are over at least for now.

erasure fan1

Furthermore, I don’t understand how fans can complain when Disney takes creative risks with the MCU (WandaVision, She-Hulk, etc.), and also complain when they turn out films that follow a more conventional approach (Quantumania) as being too formulaic.

There’s something for everyone!
I think the big difference is quality. Guardians was a big creative risk. A talking tree and raccoon could have been a monumental failure. The difference is she hulk, the eternals, ms marvel.... Are no way near the quality of guardians. Phase 4 can be described in one word. Mediocre. I've said before, there isn't superhero fatigue or star wars fatigue... But there is mediocre media fatigue. I can't say it enough, focus on a good story, stay true to the source material, and more often than not you'll win.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I'll say this about "Superhero Fatigue" we are definitely in a post Endgame lull. The only Phase 4 movie that made over a billion was Spider-Man. It's not great but it seems most of the other films made money but the constantly having a billion dollar per film days are over at least for now.
Most MCU films never did over $1B, out of 31 films so far only 10 did over $1B. That is a little less than a 1/3 of the films. It just so happened that most of those were the lead-in to Endgame, so they were "must see". This got media and public expectations skewed to expect that all MCU films moving forward MUST meet the $1B threshold or it was a failure.

So we're in a period of resetting expectations back to reality. Most will fall into the $300M-$600M range with the more stellar films hitting between $700M-$900M, and then primarily just the Avengers or "team up" type movies hitting over $1B.

erasure fan1

This got media and public expectations skewed to expect that all MCU films moving forward MUST meet the $1B threshold or it was a failure.
I'd say budgets play a roll as well. The first antman made around 130mil in profit and part 2 about 140mil if you use the 3 times production budget estimate. That means part 3 would need to hit around 750mil to be as successful as the previous. Obviously that's from a financial standpoint. You don't want your movies to go backwards.

Kirby86

Most MCU films never did over $1B, out of 31 films so far only 10 did over $1B. That is a little less than a 1/3 of the films. It just so happened that most of those were the lead-in to Endgame, so they were "must see". This got media and public expectations skewed to expect that all MCU films moving forward MUST meet the $1B threshold or it was a failure.

So we're in a period of resetting expectations back to reality. Most will fall into the $300M-$600M range with the more stellar films hitting between $700M-$900M, and then primarily just the Avengers or "team up" type movies hitting over $1B.
Well yeah most didn't however the tail end of Phase 3 I think skewed expectations since we saw a constant stream of Marvel movies hit the billion dollar mark. It wasn't sustainable. Now we're back to more realistic grosses.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I'd say budgets play a roll as well. The first antman made around 130mil in profit and part 2 about 140mil if you use the 3 times production budget estimate. That means part 3 would need to hit around 750mil to be as successful as the previous. Obviously that's from a financial standpoint. You don't want your movies to go backwards.
I would agree to a point. The public prior to franchises like the MCU didn't care about the "budgets" of films. Its only because the media got skewed expectations and started reporting on it that got the public thinking every film must make over $1B and $100s of Millions in profit to be successful.

This is why I believe we're in the period of reset. Phase 4 is basically Phase 1 again, Phase 5 is Phase 2, and Phase 6 will be Phase 3. This is how these sagas are going to go, it follows the comics pretty closely in that respect. And the media and public will have to reset their expectations for every new saga that comes to the MCU.

But I do agree budgets need to come back to reality as well.

_caleb

I think the big difference is quality. Guardians was a big creative risk. A talking tree and raccoon could have been a monumental failure. The difference is she hulk, the eternals, ms marvel.... Are no way near the quality of guardians. Phase 4 can be described in one word. Mediocre. I've said before, there isn't superhero fatigue or star wars fatigue... But there is mediocre media fatigue. I can't say it enough, focus on a good story, stay true to the source material, and more often than not you'll win.
It sounds like you’re treating each film as though it was a standalone effort. But they work together. Endgame made eleventy-bajillion dollars. But it wasn’t simply because it was an amazing film (though it was, in my opinion). It was also the culmination of several films that worked up to it.

Also, “quality” is tough to quantify. Some equate it with “box office revenue against production and marketing costs.” But the MCU grows when Disney tries new things and expands it in new directions. The “mediocre” stuff and the more experimental stuff has value to the overall property that can’t be measured strictly in theatrical earnings.

Jedijax719

What does any of this directly have to do with the topic?

Point is: Simu Liu says Shang Chi will show up again soon. I'd say that based on the reception of his movie, most people want to see Shang Chi and his world again. So that's good. I can't wait to see what they cook up for his sequel and more about the origin of the ten rings. It worked as a superhero origin story very nicely. However, it could also have worked if he wasn't part of the MCU or wasn't even a hero (since the ten rings were magical in the way the Force is for Jedi and wizardry is for the Potter characters).

erasure fan1

It sounds like you’re treating each film as though it was a standalone effort. But they work together. Endgame made eleventy-bajillion dollars. But it wasn’t simply because it was an amazing film (though it was, in my opinion). It was also the culmination of several films that worked up to it.
They do work together, no argument there. But phase 4 wasn't all that great at working together to tell a larger story. It wasn't nearly as cohesive as phase one was. They threw too much at the wall to see what would stick. It was a quantity over quality issue in my opinion. What the MCU did that was so special in my opinion, was tell a quality standalone story, while having plenty of threads tying the overarching story together. Not every film needs to be a billion plus. But I still think it's fair to judge antman against antman. I don't expect antman 3 to beat out an avengers but I do think it should beat the last installment.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
So at what point is there a “problem”? That’s an honest question…just looking for an opinion.

Because everyone that said there was no problem with another tent pole turned out beyond dead wrong and are still disgruntled and pee into the wind about it.

But that was a red alert and this is more of a yellow for now.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They do work together, no argument there. But phase 4 wasn't all that great at working together to tell a larger story. It wasn't nearly as cohesive as phase one was. They threw too much at the wall to see what would stick. It was a quantity over quality issue in my opinion. What the MCU did that was so special in my opinion, was tell a quality standalone story, while having plenty of threads tying the overarching story together. Not every film needs to be a billion plus. But I still think it's fair to judge antman against antman. I don't expect antman 3 to beat out an avengers but I do think it should beat the last installment.
It’s gonna drop close to 70% on the second weekend…which is the equivalent of a Hollywood flatline.

I don’t think anyone is even gonna try to shine this turd…but I’m usually wrong there

Disney Irish

Premium Member
So at what point is there a “problem”? That’s an honest question…just looking cod an opinion.

Because everyone that said there was no problem with another tent pole turned out beyond dead wrong and are still disgruntled and pee into the wind about it.

But that was a red alert and this is more of a yellow for now.
It depends on what you define as a "problem".

The only problem I see is that Marvel tried to listen to fans who said they wanted more content, and then had fans complain that it was then too much and so now scaling back. As I've said I'm of fan of the MCU overall, so they can bring as much content as they want and I'm here for it, but not every fan is like me. So they will find the happy medium between movies and series that will bring everything into balance. Marvel has good leadership, and so I don't see much "problem" here.

Not everything is like that other franchise you like to constantly bring up as some sort of litmus test.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
In all honesty Phase 1 was a mess in terms of a cohesive story, it was really just a bunch of standalone stories with some basic elements that tied it to the others. They were still working it out and what it meant for a multi-phase story arc to be. It wasn't until Phase 2 (deep into it if you ask me) before it really started to click that everything is tied together.

Phase 4 setup characters for the larger parts of Phase 5 and 6, this is exactly what Phase 1 did. By the time Phase 6 is finished I think people are going to go back and see what Phase 4 really meant to the overall story-arc of the Multiverse Saga.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Not every film needs to be a billion plus. But I still think it's fair to judge antman against antman. I don't expect antman 3 to beat out an avengers but I do think it should beat the last installment.
As for Quantumania, its tracking better than the other two Ant-man films. If things continue it should finish better than the other two when is all said and done.

I won't put a prediction here, because some people don't like it when I do that. :cool:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It depends on what you define as a "problem".

The only problem I see is that Marvel tried to listen to fans who said they wanted more content, and then had fans complain that it was then too much and so now scaling back. As I've said I'm of fan of the MCU overall, so they can bring as much content as they want and I'm here for it, but not every fan is like me. So they will find the happy medium between movies and series that will bring everything into balance. Marvel has good leadership, and so I don't see much "problem" here.

Not everything is like that other franchise you like to constantly bring up as some sort of litmus test.

In all honesty Phase 1 was a mess in terms of a cohesive story, it was really just a bunch of standalone stories with some basic elements that tied it to the others. They were still working it out and what it meant for a multi-phase story arc to be. It wasn't until Phase 2 (deep into it if you ask me) before it really started to click that everything is tied together.

Phase 4 setup characters for the larger parts of Phase 5 and 6, this is exactly what Phase 1 did. By the time Phase 6 is finished I think people are going to go back and see what Phase 4 really meant to the overall story-arc of the Multiverse Saga.
You know what I think? It’s gonna get worse the more comic book and less Hollywood they go…

But this is the first time you’re hearing this 😎

Disney Irish

Premium Member
You know what I think? It’s gonna get worse the more comic book and less Hollywood they go…

Well it is all comic book my friend, its literally stories ripped from the pages of the comics. So the only way they could go more comic book is if they started making films with the panels instead of live action..... :cool:

MarvelCharacterNerd

And from a business standpoint, why keep paying Downey Jr. $75M per film when they can swap Tony Stark out for Riri Williams? Or promote Shang-Chi to fill Thor’s spot on the Avengers?
I'll jump in on this one - because RDJ knocked it out of the park in his first appearance - he MADE the MCU. (And I say that as someone who didn't fall in love with the MCU until Thor and Cap debuted.)

The problem with Riri (and America Chavez for that matter) is neither of them were anything other than generic (IMO) in their initial appearances. There was no "wow - I want to know who that is!" factor although I'd hoped there would be.

I'm very fond of Sam and quite liked Monica but neither made me say I NEED to see more of them (though I'm looking forward to both of their upcoming adventures).

Which is different than say, Shuri or (again IMO) Ms. Marvel - both of whom instantly clicked for me as characters I adored from the moment they were introduced.

You're always gonna have resistance to any replacement characters (politics/trolling aside). So they've got to WOW right out of the gate. And a lot of these new kids... aren't. Not totally the fault of the actors, I'll add, so much as scripts not servicing them well either.

So they can pay a discount for Riri and likely not fill a lot of seats. Or they can pay a premium for RDJ and likely fill them. It's up to Disney/Marvel what the cost/benefit analysis ultimately shows.

But RDJ, Hemsworth and Evans had star-making turns in those roles right out of the gate (along with Pratt, Boseman and others). Thus far, the next generation of MCU hasn't. And to me, that's the biggest difference between Phase 1 and Phase 4. Not fatigue - fandom. I'm looking for characters I instantly love and few of the newbies do that for me thus far.

_caleb

I think that would be true IF audiences were still only casually aware of Marvel. But haven’t all the films, shows, and Happy Meal toys essentially developed the fandom? Seems there’s an appetite for the more comic book stuff at this point. Case in point: No Way Home. No way they could have pulled that off back in 2008 (when they launched the MCU with Iron Man).

_caleb

I'll jump in on this one - because RDJ knocked it out of the park in his first appearance - he MADE the MCU. (And I say that as someone who didn't fall in love with the MCU until Thor and Cap debuted.)

The problem with Riri (and America Chavez for that matter) is neither of them were anything other than generic (IMO) in their initial appearances. There was no "wow - I want to know who that is!" factor although I'd hoped there would be.

I'm very fond of Sam and quite liked Monica but neither made me say I NEED to see more of them (though I'm looking forward to both of their upcoming adventures).

Which is different than say, Shuri or (again IMO) Ms. Marvel - both of whom instantly clicked for me as characters I adored from the moment they were introduced.

You're always gonna have resistance to any replacement characters (politics/trolling aside). So they've got to WOW right out of the gate. And a lot of these new kids... aren't. Not totally the fault of the actors, I'll add, so much as scripts not servicing them well either.

So they can pay a discount for Riri and likely not fill a lot of seats. Or they can pay a premium for RDJ and likely fill them. It's up to Disney/Marvel what the cost/benefit analysis ultimately shows.

But RDJ, Hemsworth and Evans had star-making turns in those roles right out of the gate (along with Pratt, Boseman and others). Thus far, the next generation of MCU hasn't. And to me, that's the biggest difference between Phase 1 and Phase 4. Not fatigue - fandom. I'm looking for characters I instantly love and few of the newbies do that for me thus far.
Good thoughts here. I see what you mean. I think they’re having to navigate some interesting dynamics with these next-gen characters. The original actors cast some pretty big shadows. And because several of them are women and people of color, there are social dynamics at play. But I think each will get their chance to shine (or not) when they become more of the focus of the story.

At this point in the MCU, we’re seeing the very comic book approach to character development and mantle-passing: sidekicks replace main heroes, and scrappy newcomers have to fill big shoes. Personally, I don’t want Sam to be a Steve replacement, I want to see them take the character in a new direction (which they seem to be), so I’m excited about Captain America 4.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom