Marvel Studios Developing Asian Superhero Film ‘Shang-Chi’

Budd

There is no movie called 'Close to Home.'
Wrong.

Close To Home is an Israeli drama film released in 2005. It's about female soldiers in the Israel Defense Forces,
and Spider Man.
111721a.jpg

My info may not be completely accurate on the Spider Man inclusion, but the part about female Israeli soldiers is most certain.

Jedijax719

I'm guessing either a credit scene after The Marvels or even an appearance in Loki2. But considering Captain Marvel's appearance in the SC credit scene and Ms. Marvel's bangal bracelet's connection to the ten rings, I'm guessing an appearance in The Marvels makes the most sense.

G00fyDad

SC
I'm guessing either a credit scene after The Marvels or even an appearance in Loki2. But considering Captain Marvel's appearance in the SC credit scene and Ms. Marvel's bangal bracelet's connection to the ten rings, I'm guessing an appearance in The Marvels makes the most sense.
SC credit scene?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I mean, eventually you’ll probably be right, but at least you’re consistent!
You in 2017:
I’m sorry…you’re using the same stance to prove…what?…exactly?

They’d kill for 2017…but they stayed main stream then. You can probably find a post of me saying that too (kinda stalky like this…but…whatever)…

So find that and stick it to me.

_caleb

I’m sorry…you’re using the same stance to prove…what?…exactly?

They’d kill for 2017…but they stayed main stream then. You can probably find a post of me saying that too (kinda stalky like this…but…whatever)…

So find that and stick it to me.
I’m saying you’ve consistently warned that Disney was running Marvel into the ground. You were saying this before some of the biggest successes of the collective property.

Sorry to snoop back in your history—I didn’t want to paint you as a consistent naysayer if it wasn’t true.

I disagree with your opinion because they keep proving it wrong. Disney has plenty of creative options—and lots of incentive—to keep Marvel fresh and relevant (even despite some misses).

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I’m saying you’ve consistently warned that Disney was running Marvel into the ground. You were saying this before some of the biggest successes of the collective property.

Sorry to snoop back in your history—I didn’t want to paint you as a consistent naysayer if it wasn’t true.

I disagree with your opinion because they keep proving it wrong. Disney has plenty of creative options—and lots of incentive—to keep Marvel fresh and relevant (even despite some misses).
So since…for arguments sake…did they dump evans and Downey?

And did they go away from the more main stream marvel characters towards ones that never appeared outside of very low circulation comic books?

…cause that was part of the thought process then and now.

Jedijax719

Stories like Shang-Chi and Black Panther can easily be their own franchises. They are both rich in culture and lore. They can both be separated from the mainstay of the MCU while also making appearances in the main thread. Thor and GOTG also have had that opportunity, but they became too silly. I think that may be why I like BP and SC so much. Not knowing much about their comic book history, they feel like new fresh franchises that breathe on their own. They don't need to be connected to anybody else's story and nobody is hungry and desperate to see them interact with the other heroes.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Ok, lets go over this again.

Marvel DID NOT dump Chris Evans and Robert Downey Jr. Both decided they wanted to do other things and move on from the MCU.

Also both have rumored to be coming back for the Avenger films for at least cameos in Kang Dynasty and Secret Wars.

And did they go away from the more main stream marvel characters towards ones that never appeared outside of very low circulation comic books?

When the MCU started they started with B-Team characters because they didn't have access to the "mainstream" characters, ALL of them had very low circulation comic books. Not a one was in the public "mainstream" consciousness. Heck no one in the "mainstream" had even heard of "Iron Man" before 2008 unless they were a fan of the Black Sabbath song or the comics. It was even a gamble because RDJ was still in his career rebuilding mode, it could have failed with that first movie.

So the MCU has always been about using these fringe B and C Team characters to tell stories. It wasn't until Spider-Man, almost 10 years after the start of the MCU, did they get their first "mainstream" characters into the MCU.

_caleb

Even if you’re not a huge comics fan, you should know that many (most?) of the superheroes are mantles taken up by multiple individuals over time. This is one way the stories are kept fresh. So it shouldn’t be seen as some sort of failure that, say, Steve Rogers would move on and Sam Wilson would become Captain America. We should expect changes like these for nearly all the characters.

And from a business standpoint, why keep paying Downey Jr. $75M per film when they can swap Tony Stark out for Riri Williams? Or promote Shang-Chi to fill Thor’s spot on the Avengers?

The multiverse concept gives them even more flexibility—if a character doesn’t work, they can change it up and write it off as a “variant” version of the character.

And most characters started out as smaller/side characters and the more popular ones got their own stories. Some characters were popular outside their own titles, so I’m not sure what comic book circulation has to do with the MCU.

Point is, “they’re going to run Marvel into the ground” strikes me as a silly take, given that there are infinite possibilities and tremendous incentive to do more and more with the IP.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Ok, lets go over this again.

Marvel DID NOT dump Chris Evans and Robert Downey Jr. Both decided they wanted to do other things and move on from the MCU.

Also both have rumored to be coming back for the Avenger films for at least cameos in Kang Dynasty and Secret Wars.

When the MCU started they started with B-Team characters because they didn't have access to the "mainstream" characters, ALL of them had very low circulation comic books. Not a one was in the public "mainstream" consciousness. Heck no one in the "mainstream" had even heard of "Iron Man" before 2008 unless they were a fan of the Black Sabbath song or the comics. It was even a gamble because RDJ was still in his career rebuilding mode, it could have failed with that first movie.

So the MCU has always been about using these fringe B and C Team characters to tell stories. It wasn't until Spider-Man, almost 10 years after the start of the MCU, did they get their first "mainstream" characters into the MCU.

Even if you’re not a huge comics fan, you should know that many (most?) of the superheroes are mantles taken up by multiple individuals over time. This is one way the stories are kept fresh. So it shouldn’t be seen as some sort of failure that, say, Steve Rogers would move on and Sam Wilson would become Captain America. We should expect changes like these for nearly all the characters.

And from a business standpoint, why keep paying Downey Jr. $75M per film when they can swap Tony Stark out for Riri Williams? Or promote Shang-Chi to fill Thor’s spot on the Avengers?

The multiverse concept gives them even more flexibility—if a character doesn’t work, they can change it up and write it off as a “variant” version of the character.

And most characters started out as smaller/side characters and the more popular ones got their own stories. Some characters were popular outside their own titles, so I’m not sure what comic book circulation has to do with the MCU.

Point is, “they’re going to run Marvel into the ground” strikes me as a silly take, given that there are infinite possibilities and tremendous incentive to do more and more with the IP.
I’m shocked you disagree…

But we’ve all been over this ground before…so I propose two solutions:
1. I’ll write what I always say and then write what you two will always say back…so we save time.
2. Let’s skip it and call “the whole thing off”

Whattaya think?

Last edited:

_caleb

1. I’ll write what I always say and then right what you two will always say back…so we save time.

Whattaya think?
DEAL! We do tend to go round and round like this, don’t we?

Despite your curmudgeonly exterior, I think you’re extremely close to letting go of the grump and joining us in the fandom. Come on, you can do it! Embrace your inner MCU geek and join us!

Disney Irish

Premium Member

1. I’ll write what I always say and then right what you two will always say back…so we save time.

Whattaya think?
The point is that its been said for almost as long as the MCU has been going about "Superhero Fatigue" and Marvel running the MCU into the ground. You've trumpeted this same sentiment for a long time. And yet the MCU keeps chugging along for 15 years now and still making money.

One day the MCU won't be successful any more, but now is not that time. It'll have peaks and valleys with the various films, but overall I don't see it going into failure status or "being run into the ground" for a long time.

_caleb

The point is that its been said for almost as long as the MCU has been going about "Superhero Fatigue" and Marvel running the MCU into the ground. You've trumpeted this same sentiment for a long time. And yet the MCU keeps chugging along for 15 years now and still making money.

One day the MCU won't be successful any more, but now is not that time. It'll have peaks and valleys with the various films, but overall I don't see it going into failure status or "being run into the ground" for a long time.
I agree!

Furthermore, I don’t understand how fans can complain when Disney takes creative risks with the MCU (WandaVision, She-Hulk, etc.), and also complain when they turn out films that follow a more conventional approach (Quantumania) as being too formulaic.

There’s something for everyone!

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I agree!

Furthermore, I don’t understand how fans can complain when Disney takes creative risks with the MCU (WandaVision, She-Hulk, etc.), and also complain when they turn out films that follow a more conventional approach (Quantumania) as being too formulaic.

There’s something for everyone!
Its because just like everything in life everyone has an opinion and thinks their opinion is right and more important than everyone else's opinion. Me, I like the overall MCU and am here for everything, not everyone is like that unfortunately.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom