Marvel Land Discussion and Rumors

D

Deleted member 107043

Kind of unrelated, but I was in Dubai last week and was surprised to learn that Disney/Marvel is involved in a newly opened indoor theme park there called World of Adventure. I didn't visit, but this "theme park" looks more like a glorified shopping mall. Still, it's interesting that Disney is licensing Marvel characters to another theme park operator.

vancee

Original Poster
Kind of unrelated, but I was in Dubai last week and was surprised to learn that Disney/Marvel is involved in a newly opened indoor theme park there called World of Adventure. I didn't visit, but this "theme park" looks more like a glorified shopping mall. Still, it's interesting that Disney is licensing Marvel characters to another theme park operator.

That hulk cutout reminds me of the ones they have at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom.

sedati

This is another deal that pre-dates Disney's purchase of Marvel. It was signed in 2007 and announced in 2008- Disney purchased Marvel late in 2009.

Dubai had ambitious plans for Dubailand, a collection of theme parks that was meant to rival Disney World. All records (tallest, fastest, most expensive, etc. were to not only be broken, but annihilated. The worldwide recession in 2008 put all those plans on hold. Only now are scraps of these plans seeing the light of day, and severely diminished from what had been initially proposed. Legoland has been built. A Bollywood park has been built. Universal Studios has not (though they did brake ground and built an entry arch.)

Dubai is ramping up for a world expo in 2020 which has pushed some of these projects to completion. You can search youtube for ride-throughs of what's been opened, but from what I've seen it's all pretty lackluster (I think this how using an IP just for the sake of an IP can fail miserably.) The parks seem pretty dead attendance-wise so far as well. If you find yourself in the area you might have the parks practically all to yourself.

If you're interested in what might have been as far as the initial Marvel pitch, check out this link:
http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/2009/11/dubai-world-marvel-super-heroes-theme.html

Here's more on where everything was at when it was all put on hold:
http://www.thethemeparkguy.com/park/dubailand/photos

Last edited:

TP2000

How was Dubai?! That little theme park looks like something Las Vegas would have done around 1995. Weird.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

So that is where all those ToT bellhop costumes went.... (too soon?)

Ismael Flores

Incredible. I got vibes of Walt’s EPCOT from it. To say that Dubai and Abu Dhabi are ambitiously and aggressively embracing the new global economy would almost be an understatement.

It is an amazing looking city but for some reason I found it extremely boring with no desire to go back LOL.

I actually enjoyed Abu Dhabi and was in awe with the Great Mosque more than most high rise buildings in Dhubia. I guess I got tired of seeing building after building. I actually spent one whole day at the 148th floor of the Burj drinking free expresso and eating free snacks since I had already done a helicopter ride, the sand dunes and camel riding and couldn't find much more to do that didn't include seeing the inside of lavish and almost garish buildings or shopping.

I had a much more fun time in the much less populated Oman, probably because I'm more of the adventurous type. I prefer the craziness of India, Cambodia, Vietnam, Peru, Guatemala instead of lavish skyscrapers. I did like Ferrari world mostly because of its interesting structure and cant wait to probably go back and visit the Louvre in Abu Dabhi

I actually enjoy Singapore more than Dubhai.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 107043

Make sure not to miss the Great Mosque and The newly opened Louvre. I missed the opening of the Louvre because of delays but the great Mosque is amazing

It was a very brief trip as we were in route home after a much longer stay in India. The contrast between it and the UAE couldn't be more different. Just being able to drink the water, breathe clean air, and not fear for my life in snarled traffic probably had a lot to do with my reaction lol.

Ismael Flores

It was a very brief trip as we were in route home after a much longer stay in India. The contrast between it and the UAE couldn't be more different. Just being able to drink the water, breathe clean air, and not fear for my life in snarled traffic probably had a lot to do with my reaction lol.

LOL, yeah India could be quite the adventure. I have been several times and love it. The smells, the sounds the whole chaotic energy in one part of the country and the peaceful serenity of another part of the country. It is one place i recommend everyone to visit. I fell in love with the country and its people. if you ever go back to India visit Kerala in the south or Kolkata in the north east and cross over to Bangladesh or Jaipur and drive down to Randambore national park to see tigers in the wild.

Out of the 39 countries that i have visited i think i would put India in the top 10. number one is tied between Peru and Vietnam.
sorry I'm throwing the thread out of topic but i love hearing when people travel outside of the states and especially out of a WDW vacation. so much beautiful places to visit and many much less costly than a week in WDW

Ismael Flores

getting back to the Marvel expansion, I wonder why Disney didn't just go ahead with the re-alignment of the monorail. It makes perfect sense to go ahead and do it. Even if the eastern gateway never happens it would give WDI a better layout of the northern part of DCA to work without having the monorail track in the way.

SSG

getting back to the Marvel expansion, I wonder why Disney didn't just go ahead with the re-alignment of the monorail. It makes perfect sense to go ahead and do it. Even if the eastern gateway never happens it would give WDI a better layout of the northern part of DCA to work without having the monorail track in the way.

My guess; because some form of the eastern gateway might happen down the line. This would impact to what degree the monorail is re-routed, so why move it until then.

BrianLo

My guess; because some form of the eastern gateway might happen down the line. This would impact to what degree the monorail is re-routed, so why move it until then.

Agreed. The Eastern Gateway is an eventuality still, it has just lost the sense of urgency with the Western plan.

The DCA North-Eastern rethink has now be reshuffled to the back of the pack as a result. It's not like they lack other areas to tackle first - the entire Eastern side of DL, Toontown etc. That buys them quite a few years before DCA gets another really big expansion beyond Marvel. By then presumably they won't be in such a time crunch/position for the city to hold them hostage.

TROR

Doesn't Fox have three X-Men movies coming out next year? What could Disney offer them that could convince them to get rid of their most profitable and successful franchise? Only thing I could think of would be X-Men toy sale rights but if they got rid of X-Men, that would make no sense.

I think this deal is mostly about Star Wars distribution rights and Fantastic Four characters more than anything else. I've been betting on it since Phase Three's announcement that Fantastic Four would be in Phase Four (along with Galactus and Doctor Doom) so if this is the deal it'd not surprise me one bit.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Doesn't Fox have three X-Men movies coming out next year? What could Disney offer them that could convince them to get rid of their most profitable and successful franchise? Only thing I could think of would be X-Men toy sale rights but if they got rid of X-Men, that would make no sense.

I think this deal is mostly about Star Wars distribution rights and Fantastic Four characters more than anything else. I've been betting on it since Phase Three's announcement that Fantastic Four would be in Phase Four (along with Galactus and Doctor Doom) so if this is the deal it'd not surprise me one bit.

I'm just going to put this link right here as a reason why Disney/Marvel would want X-Men for the MCU:

http://marvel.com/comics/series/15305/avengers_vs_x-men_2012

Plus Fox wants to streamline, they are getting out of the Studios business no matter who buys them. They are going to concentrate on News and Sports, that's it. So they don't care who buys the X-Men franchise other than to get top price. So why wouldn't they want to sell it back to the same company that originated the content, Marvel.

TROR

I'm just going to put this link right here as a reason why Disney/Marvel would want X-Men for the MCU:

http://marvel.com/comics/series/15305/avengers_vs_x-men_2012

I understand why Marvel would want X-Men. I don't understand why Fox would want to get rid of them.

Plus Fox wants to streamline, they are getting out of the Studios business no matter who buys them. They are going to concentrate on News and Sports, that's it. So they don't care who buys the X-Men franchise other than to get top price. So why wouldn't they want to sell it back to the same company that originated the content, Marvel.
But why would Fox want to get rid of their studios? Where is this coming from? They're not doing poorly financially are they?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I understand why Marvel would want X-Men. I don't understand why Fox would want to get rid of them.

But why would Fox want to get rid of their studios? Where is this coming from? They're not doing poorly financially are they?

Fox has been making cuts in the TV and Film Studios for awhile now. So they can't be doing that well.

http://variety.com/2016/biz/news/fox-buyouts-250-million-staff-cuts-1201693822/

Murdoch has seen the writing on the wall for awhile now, streaming is the future not the ad model they current rely on, and they don't want to play in that market. Too much capital to get started this late in the game, against Netflix and Amazon. If you don't have a streaming platform (or are building one now like Disney) then you will be left behind.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/rupert-murdoch-talks-sell-much-his-media-empire-disney-n818146

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom