Marvel coming to WDW?!?!

Rubicon77

we're considering going to Orlando in Dec. for the Eukanuba classic, the 2 things I want to see are Diagon alley & Jock Lindsey's. I have to agree about WWoHP, universal has done an unbelievable job, even themed food. The other day or 2 reserved for theme parks? After our last visit in '13 to WDW, I'm having difficulty deciding where to go.....

Mike S

Can we put Nick Fury at the head of this?
tumblr_mouyuhdHO81qj41v5o6_250.gif

DznyRktekt

Re: Shanghai Disneyland

Landscaping actually appears to finally be going in, temporary construction housing is disappearing.

I agree, it's not going to be finished, but at least I can visualize that it will be relatively presentable now at opening. Painting seems far more than 50% complete...

I'm now going for opening (which was pretty much exactly what I never intended to do), so perhaps I'm just trying to be optimistic. Realistically if 3/4 of Tron, Pirate, Roarin' Mountain and Voyage to the Crystal Grotto are running that's enough.

Even if it's a total disaster, should still be a fun time relaying the stories back here. The rest will just be amusing to exec watch and explore.

Attending the opening of a park would be a wonderful experience with great stories to tell.
Watching the video posted, and seeing the investment, Tron, and a Tomorrowland of tomorrow...then thinking that over a year has passed since my last visit to Disneyland, and zero effort other than the painting of the Autopia has taken place in Anaheim Tomorrowland. Movie previews in the Magic Eye, empty People Mover tracks, worn Buzz ride, etc. I hope there are plans for a renaissance of the futuristic areas of stateside parks, both coast Tomorrowlands and EPCOT.

habuma

I just don't understand what the story for this could possibly be. While riding an old hotel elevator you go to another dimension where you meet the guardians? The ride time is relatively short, especially in DCA, so I don't understand how all of the guardians could possibly have time to shine in this attraction. GOTG should have it's own attraction, and more importantly, TOT deserves to stay how it is.

As I read this, I had a strange vision of looking down the hallway and instead of seeing those five people who stepped through the doors of an elevator beckoning you to join them, you see Star-Lord, Groot, Rocket, Gamora, and Drax standing there beckoning you to join them.

[shudders]

I'm going to have to stop reading this thread.

DoTheImpossible

I understand the need to rationalize sometimes when things get bad. But if this re-theme goes through there's no silver lining. You can't say well this would be terrible, I don't support it, but ya know...if it happens it'll be done well so it will work out. If they do this it shows their lack of understanding. Therefore, we should not then trust their judgment on a rush-job re-theme.

It seemed like an enlightenment with a possibly incredible Star Wars land, well-enough TSL, and substantial Pandora. This would show those decisions are mere aberrations and the idiocy that paved the way for Frozenstrom is the true direction of "Parks and Resorts - Orlando Division" oh, sorry, Walt Disney World.

Hopefully logic prevails.

DocMcHulk

Nope. Welcome to The Guardians of the Galaxy Tower of Terror. Yes. Really. Yes, Disney wants to destroy (or make over depending on how you look at it) one of its high points of creative product in the last 25 years to tie it to a BRAND that it can't even use to advertise and promote, in Florida that is.

Remember that scene in GoT where they all got in an elevator and it feel 13 stories... oh wait, that never happened.

Mike S

I understand the need to rationalize sometimes when things get bad. But if this re-theme goes through there's no silver lining. You can't say well this would be terrible, I don't support it, but ya know...if it happens it'll be done well so it will work out. If they do this it shows their lack of understanding. Therefore, we should not then trust their judgment on a rush-job re-theme.

It seemed like an enlightenment with a possibly incredible Star Wars land, well-enough TSL, and substantial Pandora. This would show those decisions are mere aberrations and the idiocy that paved the way for Frozenstrom is the true direction of "Parks and Resorts - Orlando Division" oh, sorry, Walt Disney World.

Hopefully logic prevails.
It was getting almost too positive. They had to find a way to upset us somehow.

FigmentForver96

Maybe they'll try to replicate the prison escape sequence? That is the only scene I could imagine working. But they would need to renovate the entire building exterior to make it look like the space prison.
I believe Spirit said that the tower would become the Collector's mansion. So much of the exterior and even a lot of the interior would remain the same. If this happened I feel one of the biggest things would be removing the Hollywood Tower Hotel sign which in that case they can go ahead and remove my heart as well.

DoTheImpossible

Maybe they'll try to replicate the prison escape sequence? That is the only scene I could imagine working. But they would need to renovate the entire building exterior to make it look like the space prison.

This isn't the imagineering forum, so I won't go into detail. But a variation of that scene, in a new prison, the escape being through the show building, a pre-show giving everyone a glimpse of the GotG characters, props throughout and ending on a spaceship escape (being the RnRc vehicles) makes way more sense for the RnRc.

I only say that to highlight again how it makes no sense even if that's the scene they want to replicate.

I don't know, we'll see what happens. This is just genuinely maddening.

Phil12

Another thought is that Bob Iger could buy The Walking Dead franchise and re-theme the ToT with Rick Grimes and his crew going through a time warp and doing their best to mop up the zombie apocalypse in the 1930's. They could sell baseball bats, crossbows and other such paraphernalia in the gift shop.

AEfx

Look, I disagree with you most of the time anyways... in this and all other cases you're entitled to your opinion. But you have to recognize this has very little to do with the original source of the IP that the attraction is based on.

As usual, you use my posts as a springboard into a rant that had little to do with the statement I made.

It's simply humorous to note that folks are so bat-crap bent out of shape about a non-Disney IP possibly leaving when most of the same folks spend all their time complaining about outside IP invading WDW.

That is all.

AEfx

I think my statement was rather clear.

I personally have always found it lacking. I didn't see it until it was a few years old and folks talked about it as the second coming - after the first time I was like, "That's it?" I didn't realize it was just a very nicely gussied-up drop as the entire point of the ride. Given all the epic comparisons it got, I assumed there was an actual creepy ride somewhere, and then the drop was at the end (like Splash Mountain). The trinket room at the top isn't even particularly neat - it seems like an after-thought (and I believe they simply don't even have that at the other versions of the attraction).

That's why when folks talk about the last great attractions built at WDW, it's really Splash Mountain to me - because ToT is very nicely themed, but it's a rather limited experience.

FigmentForver96

As usual, you use my posts as a springboard into a rant that had little to do with the statement I made.

It's simply humorous to note that folks are so bat-crap bent out of shape about a non-Disney IP possibly leaving when most of the same folks spend all their time complaining about outside IP invading WDW.

That is all.
If the IP works then the IP works, end of story. In this case the non Disney IP worked better then many of Disney's own IPs ever have. The ride was a thematic masterpiece that had a build up and story that not only complemented the entire area of the park, but a buildup that started the moment you entered the parking lot. For whatever reason people cannot look past the end of their nose and see why this is bad. This is not simply about the IP taking over as the IP itself is not a bad one. (I enjoyed the movie). This is about Disney not understanding the very thing that made them great to begin with, storytelling. No matter how they turn it, Guardians will not fit on Sunset Blvd, and if they have to come up with some twisted lame-@@@ backstory to make it fit then that is the sign. You are damn right people are bent out of shape and any real fan who truly knows what makes Disney special would be as well.

That is all.

Last edited:

Jones14

I think this was asked before, but I believe it wasn't answered. Is it possible that the redo could end up affecting DCA but not make it to DHS?

BrianLo

I don't want this to happen in Florida, but everyone assumes they are recreating a scene in GoTG. What if - god forbid - they just use the IP as a jumping point and do something loosely tied to it instead of recreating a scene from the movie?

What if the Guardians aren't really even in it? (Too optimistic? ha ha)

I just don't know enough specifics to decisively say how good/bad of an idea this will be for DCA.

It's not worth the time, money or effort in DHS to fix/plus something that doesn't need fixing. This wouldn't even be a discussion if it wasn't something DCA needed to address though.

Phil12

No matter how they turn it, Guardians will not fit on Sunset Blvd, and if they have to come up with some twisted lame-@@@ backstory to make it fit then that is the sign. Your damn right people are bent out of shape and any real fan who truly knows what makes Disney special would be as well.

That is all.
I think you're wrong. In 1956 Walt Disney presented an episode on his Disneyland TV show entitled "The Plausible Impossible". It's the job of the Disney story tellers to make any and all stories they tell seem to be completely plausible no matter how impossible it might be based upon our knowledge of reality.

I'm confident that the Disney Imagineers are up to the challenge of making a better ToT with GotG!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom