Marvel coming to WDW?!?!

Blairnicol

God, if they want to over-lay something why not Space Mountain??? Hyperspace Mountain actually works great at DL?!?!?!?! Talk about ruining one of their BEST attractions. UGH.

dstrawn9889

God, if they want to over-lay something why not Space Mountain??? Hyperspace Mountain actually works great at DL?!?!?!?! Talk about ruining one of their BEST attractions. UGH.
because SM is in such horrible condition already, they would have to gut and re-track... better to ignore until they are forced to replace

kennyy_d

Completely disagree. Don't see how, in any way, how dumping Sunset Boulevard could be considered the only or a preferred option.

Sunset Boulevard is fantastic (though the Aerosmith themed RnRC is an awkward fit) and there is absolutely no need to re-theme it for the new DHS. Dumping the working studios theme in favor of the Hollywood/movie adventure theme doesn't render Sunset Boulevard a bad fit or compromise any story-line. In fact, quite the opposite, if that area is goes, the new park becomes MORE of a hodge-podge and disjointed. Keep Hollywood Boulevard, Sunset Boulevard and Echo Lake as the general ode to Hollywood and the movie & television entertainment world, and then from there immerse yourself in a few of the greatest movie & television entertainment franchises of all time - Star Wars, Toy Story, the Muppets, and [Indiana Jones or whatever else]. If they want to do a token Marvel presence through Guardians of the Galaxy, and, instead of something new, won't consider anything, but a shoehorn fit into an existing attraction, change up the RnRC. The theming is much less critical to the attraction and far less integral to the rest of Sunset Boulevard. And there are lots of possibilities.**

On the "business move" and "probably make a crap ton of money," I don't buy that either. On the short term, I don't really see a re-theme of the Tower of Terror to Guardians of the Galaxy as being a draw that will pull back in single-day DHS admission visitors or will get people to extent their WDW stay. In the long term, they won't need to spend resources re-theming Sunset Boulevard because the Star Wars and Toy Story lands will be driving people into the park.

I've not been to California Adventure to see what ToT and the associated area theming is like there to know whether changing ToT there would be an awkward and disruptive move. If it's not the same presence and anchor that it is at DHS, and it's sitting at the gateway to the area that makes the most sense for building out a substantial Marvel presence, one could understand why a change may be considered over there. But this whole idea has never made a single bit of sense whatsoever for Florida and DHS or whatever it's going to end up being called.

** Do something in front if it like an old comic book store promoting the latest Guardians of the Galaxy issue. In addition to the primary GotG comic focus, they could secondarily feature old school Disney character comics and comic illustrations featuring characters appearing both in comics and Disney movies like the Lone Ranger, Davy Crockett, Swiss Family Robinson, etc. They could easily work in one of their precious gift shops with a Marvel and comic focus, related memorabilia and whatever. Have the queue/pre-show be comic illustration style and with some of the music from the mix-tape or maybe, to fit the older Hollywood theme, old, crackly radio broadcast show type readings/narration of GotG comics. The coaster could be the where the GotG comic world is transformed into the real world with some more music from the mix-tape.

Someone mentioned earlier how if they kept Sunset Boulevard they could storyline it as walking through "old Hollywood" and stepping into the new, pretty much what you elaborated on. I think that's brilliant! However the ride itself, ToT, is set back in old hollywood and it's classic hotel architecture fits that theme as well. You see ToT when you enter the park, and heck, its what you are walking towards when taking a stroll down Sunset Boulevard. So my question and concern here is that with a GotG themed attraction at the center of attention on Sunset Boulevard it seems it would disrupt the flow of story of old hollywood, whereas the original ToT does not, it enhances the experience. I mean, if I was walking down a classic, old Hollywood boulevard I don't think I would look up to see a Galactic Mansion housing some GotG. I can see how that might be a problem they will have to solve. Just something to think about. So when I say they might try to re-theme Sunset Boulevard that was the angle I was coming from, not that I dislike it or think it is not already well themed (minus RnRC being a bit awkward like you previously mentioned).

I completely agree, RnRC would be a, seemingly, MUCH better fit for all of this... there's a reason WHY they chose ToT... actually I wouldn't be surprised if that was just the attraction they coincidentally pulled out of a hat that day.

I will have to disagree with you on the monetary issue. I think adding Marvel, along with Star Wars, will draw in a group that Disney usually refrains from targeting. You can't tell me that along with Star Wars, teenaged boys won't be drawn to visit this park? Recently there has been a bit of a disinterest in Disney theme parks from that gender and age group, most, if given the choice, would prefer Universal. At least that has been my experience, I'm sure there are some who don't. I feel like with this move Iger is, in a way, attempting to steer the ship one degree to the right. Now, especially in DHS, princesses and fairytales will be less of an occurrence while, lightsabers and galaxy fights will begin to join in the terms used to describe Disney Theme Parks. I think this will draw in a different crowd with a large fan base. Which seems to be a common trend right now in the company. Star Wars, many male viewers and a large fan base. Avatar, many male viewers, large fan base. Marvel, many male viewers, large fan base. I don't think people will stop giving there money altogether to Disney because of this, maybe we will but not most. We are the die hards, the analyzers, and the extremists, most others won't care because there are too many other so-so attractions that the demise of one incredible attraction simply doesn't equate.
Ignorance is bliss.

Christian Fronckowiak

In the Parks
Yes
@WDW1974 Any thoughts as to why TOT over say RnRC? Is it the contract with CBS is set to expire sooner than any licensing agreement with Aerosmith?
I'm trying to wrap my head around it, as we all seem to think a GOTG overlay would work better in RnRC over TOT. Also it seems fan backlash would be minimal. Would it be easier because if they do DL first, its cheaper just to copy than design and create new for RnRC?
I know how you feel, but have you heard anything "inside" regarding this?
Exactly. It's not about DHS' Tower getting a GotG overlay. It's about DCA's Tower getting an overlay with characters allowed in Florida, so they can share the costs of doing it between the two resorts.

Cesar R M

Well lets not say it will be Crappy...yet...

If TDA wants it Im sure they are going to spend the money to make it a good re-theme. However that is a tough thing to say because there is nothing good about re-theming one of the best themed rides on the planet
It could be still as bad a superstar limo.
If it took that much to Frozen, can you imagine how little they will do in 5 months?

seabreezept813

Someone mentioned earlier how if they kept Sunset Boulevard they could storyline it as walking through "old Hollywood" and stepping into the new, pretty much what you elaborated on. I think that's brilliant! However the ride itself, ToT, is set back in old hollywood and it's classic hotel architecture fits that theme as well. You see ToT when you enter the park, and heck, its what you are walking towards when taking a stroll down Sunset Boulevard. So my question and concern here is that with a GotG themed attraction at the center of attention on Sunset Boulevard it seems it would disrupt the flow of story of old hollywood, whereas the original ToT does not, it enhances the experience. I mean, if I was walking down a classic, old Hollywood boulevard I don't think I would look up to see a Galactic Mansion housing some GotG. I can see how that might be a problem they will have to solve. Just something to think about. So when I say they might try to re-theme Sunset Boulevard that was the angle I was coming from, not that I dislike it or think it is not already well themed (minus RnRC being a bit awkward like you previously mentioned).

I completely agree, RnRC would be a, seemingly, MUCH better fit for all of this... there's a reason WHY they chose ToT... actually I wouldn't be surprised if that was just the attraction they coincidentally pulled out of a hat that day.

I will have to disagree with you on the monetary issue. I think adding Marvel, along with Star Wars, will draw in a group that Disney usually refrains from targeting. You can't tell me that along with Star Wars, teenaged boys won't be drawn to visit this park? Recently there has been a bit of a disinterest in Disney theme parks from that gender and age group, most, if given the choice, would prefer Universal. At least that has been my experience, I'm sure there are some who don't. I feel like with this move Iger is, in a way, attempting to steer the ship one degree to the right. Now, especially in DHS, princesses and fairytales will be less of an occurrence while, lightsabers and galaxy fights will begin to join in the terms used to describe Disney Theme Parks. I think this will draw in a different crowd with a large fan base. Which seems to be a common trend right now in the company. Star Wars, many male viewers and a large fan base. Avatar, many male viewers, large fan base. Marvel, many male viewers, large fan base. I don't think people will stop giving there money altogether to Disney because of this, maybe we will but not most. We are the die hards, the analyzers, and the extremists, most others won't care because there are too many other so-so attractions that the demise of one incredible attraction simply doesn't equate.
Ignorance is bliss.
Great point about teen boys. I teach at the high school level and we are currently reading Harry Potter. So naturally the boys keep bringing up Universal. They are also stoked for Star Wars. However, I asked them about Tower of Terror and nobody liked the Guardians idea. They like the eerie fear factor of TOT, and said they are bored with superheroes. Most were unimpressed by the Guardians movie anyway.

RSoxNo1

I have to note the irony of people who generally complain about Disney being "outside" IP-addicts are so bent out of shape about Disney possibly changing out an IP that Disney does not/did not/will not ever own.

Now before some over-achieving knee-jerker jumps down my throat in belief that I support this - I don't, particularly - I am actually rather "meh" about it to be honest as I have always felt ToT lacking in show to begin with, it's never been my favorite. However, to see folks get so up in arms about a non-Disney IP when so much of the complaining 'round here is IP-based, is pretty humorous.
Look, I disagree with you most of the time anyways... in this and all other cases you're entitled to your opinion. But you have to recognize this has very little to do with the original source of the IP that the attraction is based on. The fact is, it is among the most well executed attractions every created and that is driven by the Twilight Zone intellectual property.

Whenever intellectual property is infused into an existing attraction framework it has never succeeded in being substantially better than it's predecessor. There is a lack of understanding by the current crop of executives about what makes a quality attraction. They don't understand the concept of non-linear story telling. The only understand things that are linear, concrete, and quantifiable. They only understand black and white. Or in many cases black and red. As such, they look at an attraction like Tower of Terror and think, "this is a popular attraction with an IP that no one knows. What if we put in an IP that's incredibly popular? That will undoubtedly make it better.

This is the type of idiot making theme park decisions at Disney today.

I know he's the red headed step child around here, and god forbid his name ever appear in a thread that WDW1974 started, but Jim Hill had an interesting piece about Tony Baxter's desire to stick around at Disney as he witnessed the deterioration. In the piece he talks about how WDI is broken and while it certainly is, the executives in charge of WDI most definitely need to take accountability as well. Here's the most telling part of the story:

Here's the story as it's been told to me multiple times over the past 10 years by numerous themed entertainment professionals: American business magnate Steve Wynn reportedly reached out to Tony and tried to recruit him to come design theme parks & hotels for his company. Baxter would have supposedly been the head of his own creative division at Wynn Resorts, Limited and would have regularly worked on high profile, multi-milllion dollar projects.

Tony was allegedly very flattered by this offer but still turned Steve down. The reason? "Imagineering is broken and Disney management hasn't realize it yet," Baxter supposedly told his friends. "That's why I can't leave. Someday Disney management is going to realize that WDI is broken and I still need to be in the building when that happens. I'm the one who knows how to fix this place."

Mike S

You know if Shanghai's very possible clumsy start ends up killing this thing's budget and they end up not going through with it, I'm gonna make so many so many heroic Godzilla memes out of the Rapids ride's crocodile monster.
I look forward to them :)

hopemax

Tony was allegedly very flattered by this offer but still turned Steve down. The reason? "Imagineering is broken and Disney management hasn't realize it yet," Baxter supposedly told his friends. "That's why I can't leave. Someday Disney management is going to realize that WDI is broken and I still need to be in the building when that happens. I'm the one who knows how to fix this place."

Once upon a time, I thought that was a fair sentiment. Now, I'm realizing the opportunity costs. If Tony had left and headed his own creative division, wonderful things could have been created, he would have provided an additional home for creative people and visitors would have been able to enjoy the creations and have something tangible to point to how the classic Disney philosophy was better, even if it didn't come out of a Disney business unit. Competition is what Disney needed, instead of getting fat and lazy as king of the hill. I know that is a hard pill to swallow, and sometimes you can't help but think that the moment of realization is close at hand, and if you just wait a little bit longer, so I don't "blame" Tony or anyone else that thought they could make more of a difference from the inside.

That was the thing that I found so appealing about my first trips to Universal after Hogsmeade opened. After a decade of listening to people explain that Disney was the way it is because people are too "whatever" these days and they're a business, no attraction could possibly amaze them like Pirates did...and then I rode Forbidden Journey. Merchandise can't be "location specific," except there it mostly is. Food menus can't have more variety, etc. Little pathways like along the water behind the SS Olive where most people don't even go. All still exist in a successful theme park entity. But people need to see the alternative, and once they do...all the Disney is a business is revealed as such a load of bs. Just as Costco, Southwest or other companies act differently than 90% of their competition.

PizzaPlanet

I just don't understand what the story for this could possibly be. While riding an old hotel elevator you go to another dimension where you meet the guardians? The ride time is relatively short, especially in DCA, so I don't understand how all of the guardians could possibly have time to shine in this attraction. GOTG should have it's own attraction, and more importantly, TOT deserves to stay how it is.

Mike S

Once upon a time, I thought that was a fair sentiment. Now, I'm realizing the opportunity costs. If Tony had left and headed his own creative division, wonderful things could have been created, he would have provided an additional home for creative people and visitors would have been able to enjoy the creations and have something tangible to point to how the classic Disney philosophy was better, even if it didn't come out of a Disney business unit. Competition is what Disney needed, instead of getting fat and lazy as king of the hill. I know that is a hard pill to swallow, and sometimes you can't help but think that the moment of realization is close at hand, and if you just wait a little bit longer, so I don't "blame" Tony or anyone else that thought they could make more of a difference from the inside.

That was the thing that I found so appealing about my first trips to Universal after Hogsmeade opened. After a decade of listening to people explain that Disney was the way it is because people are too "whatever" these days and they're a business, no attraction could possibly amaze them like Pirates did...and then I rode Forbidden Journey. Merchandise can't be "location specific," except there it mostly is. Food menus can't have more variety, etc. Little pathways like along the water behind the SS Olive where most people don't even go. All still exist in a successful theme park entity. But people need to see the alternative, and once they do...all the Disney is a business is revealed as such a load of bs. Just as Costco, Southwest or other companies act differently than 90% of their competition.
True story.

When I first went to Hogsmeade (on opening day :D) I told a team member that I never thought anyone could touch Disney. And this at a time when I was still on the Pixie Dust and actually really hyped for New Fantasyland :hungover:

RSoxNo1

I just don't understand what the story for this could possibly be. While riding an old hotel elevator you go to another dimension where you meet the guardians? The ride time is relatively short, especially in DCA, so I don't understand how all of the guardians could possibly have time to shine in this attraction. GOTG should have it's own attraction, and more importantly, TOT deserves to stay how it is.
I've heard a few ideas thrown around here. I would just assume any new story would call the building something other than a hotel.

rioriz

Shortsighted view, reluctantly if this did happen, I would probably still ride it. Is probably still enjoy the fall, as I always do.

I'd sit outside with an ice cream cone, share memories of days of old and shed a tear or two for what was. Then inevitably, :(begrudgingly, jump back on.....:(

I'm weak...:jawdrop::cry::cry:

Cesar R M

You know if Shanghai's very possible clumsy start ends up killing this thing's budget and they end up not going through with it, I'm gonna make so many so many heroic Godzilla memes out of the Rapids ride's crocodile monster.
but.. godzilla is japanese o_O

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom