Marvel coming to WDW?!?!

deWild

After going back over the mumble-jumble, I still am fascinated to know how GotG could be included in a drop-tower attraction. I just can't see it, although this comes from a reliable source.

GiveMeTheMusic

You know, Hope, I had a quote from a friend/source recently and had no idea where to run it and I think I'm just going to insert it here (no fanboi jokes, please) regarding management at P&R (in this case at DLR, but with a guy who was a WDW vet until 2012) and how it plays into decisions like adding GotG to ToT.

"The only person more clueless than Chapek on this one is Michael Colglazier, who always has to remind everyone that he went to Stanford and Harvard and is obviously the smartest person in the room. Except when it comes to theme parks and the business of being a good host to 28 million or more paying guests per year, he's barely educated and really has no idea how the place runs or operates."

Yes, the man who has been running DLR for FOUR YEARS is still clueless about his business. Can you imagine being allowed to be clueless in your job for that long without being shown the door?

Lordy, the stories I've heard about Colglazier. He can't get "promoted" out of DLR soon enough for the people there who actually know what they're doing.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It starts before you even get to the ride. The whole Sunset Blvd. leading to our Tower is an absolutely perfect builder of suspense and anticipation. The lack of it really hit me when I went to DCA last year.
That's part of what makes it a perfect ride. The Tower looms large as you turn down the road but you still have that walk ahead of you, gazing up at the tower as it gets closer and bigger. Still gives me butterflies even though I've ridden it so many times. On my last trip we had a pretty heavy thunderstorm and it was raining with lightning in the background for that walk. It was even more spooky.

At least the outside won't be changing much.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
After going back over the mumble-jumble, I still am fascinated to know how GotG could be included in a drop-tower attraction. I just can't see it, although this comes from a reliable source.
It makes about as much sense as putting them into Cinderalla's Castle. Unless the sequel is going to include time travel back to classic Hollywood;)

Quinnmac000

I think the reason for me this is an absolute nightmare is due to nostalgia. The year was 1998, I was 5 years old watching Disney Channel and I kept seeing and watching that tower of terror film with Kirsten Dunst. Around March, for my birthday,my parents took me to WDW for the first time. The moment I knew that was going to Disney, my mom showed me the brochures of all the parks. I freaked out because I saw the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror. Right then, I knew it had to be the first ride I did at Disney. We went to Magic Kingdom the first day and I absolutely sat out of doing everything because I refused to do anything first but ride ToT. The next day we went to MGM which was called at the time and rode it. I was absolutely terrified and I loved it.

I guess this going away or even get a overlay kinda is like saying goodbye to an old friend.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Cooler heads have prevailed...I was posting from frustration.

I'm still holding my breath that "cooler heads" will also prevail with Disney

I have learned that posting while angry ...well, no, I have not learned anything about that sadly!:D:devilish::D:cool:

I did just get an update from one source on this and it may give you some hope. Don't have time to go into complete detail, but in Anaheim it is 90% a done deal. It is already being slated onto rehab/ops calendars. WDW is about 50/50. Believe it or not, but Georgie K is showing some back bone here (so folks might want to pepper HIS OFFICE with phone calls expressing this view). Now, he isn't doing this because he respects fans, the park or the attraction. He's doing it because while DCA will shut the entire ride down on what likely will be Jan. 1st, he knows what a nightmare that could be at WDW. He has proposed keeping this open partially while working on one shaft at a time (oh gawd, do you know how hard it is for me to not make jokes here?!?!?:hungry::devilish::eek::D). That seems to be a compromise he is willing to do. My take is he can be influenced, so go to it if you care. Even Anaheim is only ALMOST a done deal, but it appears that only something major (SDL opens and bleeds from the start, terrorist attack domestically kills travel, natural disaster etc) is going to stop this in Anaheim.

So ... some hope in FL ... almost none in CA ... and people out on the Twitter taking shots at me when, quite bluntly, I am almost always right ... like when I said that UNI was going to add a Potter component to its Studios park and connect them via a train ... all the wand wavers forget that I was the first voice on that one and was laughed off loudly (although since then a few individuals have said they suggested this online) and attacked and if they only knew who my source was on that one.

Anyway, that's it ... I am sure tomorrow will bring more cutbacks, price increases and the like ... just remember: you aren't a real Disney fan if you don't see the value in an $11 Yoda cupcake or collect glassware from Trader Sam's.

Last edited:

Wikkler

Tower of Terror is perfection. It is the pinnacle of themed entertainment. The fact that this is even a rumor with any legs at all in an absolute absurdity. ToT is the standard to which Disney should hold itself, yet we keep getting derivative shi-----
It seems literally everyone wants to cuss about this, including me. Don't we all just wish Steve lifted the filter just for this thread?

TP2000

"The only person more clueless than Chapek on this one is Michael Colglazier, who always has to remind everyone that he went to Stanford and Harvard and is obviously the smartest person in the room. Except when it comes to theme parks and the business of being a good host to 28 million or more paying guests per year, he's barely educated and really has no idea how the place runs or operates."

Yes, the man who has been running DLR for FOUR YEARS is still clueless about his business. Can you imagine being allowed to be clueless in your job for that long without being shown the door?

I can't imagine that, at least not in any other industry but Disneyland. This has played out before, circa 1997-2003 with Pressler and Cynthia Harriss, and it ended horribly for both the park and those execs.

I watched Colglazier on the live feed of the Anaheim City Council meeting when they voted on the tax exemption, a meeting that lasted over six hours. It was obvious that Mr. Colglazier is, to put it politely, a stuffed shirt.

Lucky for Colglazier his big boss, Chapek, is just as clueless about operating theme parks as he is. How Disney corporate allows their cash cow and iconic properties to be run by guys like this is beyond me. Truly baffling.

Mike S

You know, Hope, I had a quote from a friend/source recently and had no idea where to run it and I think I'm just going to insert it here (no fanboi jokes, please) regarding management at P&R (in this case at DLR, but with a guy who was a WDW vet until 2012) and how it plays into decisions like adding GotG to ToT.

Dear Disney,

Can I have a high ranking executive job? I'm just as qualified if maybe a little more than that guy.

Sincerely, Mike S

suburbianj

Right,screw it,we should all realise that Disney does whatever the hell disneys wants to do....personally I think shut down the whole park for 18 months to two years and let them do what they are going to do,that timescale is possible,especially as there will be no visitors in the park.....it does mean the other three parks are going to be even more hellish,but id rather they did that then make me wait another five years minimum to have the whole shebang done! In the meantime,ill be making do with universal as they can seem to throw rides up a hell of alot quicker than Disney can....strange that ain't it???

Wikkler

Right,screw it,we should all realise that Disney does whatever the hell disneys wants to do....personally I think shut down the whole park for 18 months to two years and let them do what they are going to do,that timescale is possible,especially as there will be no visitors in the park.....it does mean the other three parks are going to be even more hellish,but id rather they did that then make me wait another five years minimum to have the whole shebang done! In the meantime,ill be making do with universal as they can seem to throw rides up a hell of alot quicker than Disney can....strange that ain't it???
It would be easier to make money if guests still had to pay 100 dollars to get in a park that's more than half closed.

Mike S

That's part of what makes it a perfect ride. The Tower looms large as you turn down the road but you still have that walk ahead of you, gazing up at the tower as it gets closer and bigger. Still gives me butterflies even though I've ridden it so many times. On my last trip we had a pretty heavy thunderstorm and it was raining with lightning in the background for that walk. It was even more spooky.

At least the outside won't be changing much.
It's a piece of expertly crafted showmanship. Like getting to Magic Kingdom by boat or Monorail. Or EPCOT Center.

Phil12

We've had the Haunted Mansion for more than four decades. Does that call for us to change the storyline? Pirates? Small World? The licensing fee is pittance in cost in grand scheme of their expenses and the Twilight Zone concept simply works. It might be an intellectual property of the past, but that's irrelevant as far as I'm concerned because it's such an wonderfully integrated attraction. Does everything have to be a licensed property that Bob Iger has gotten the board to approve during his tenure?

Phase one of the past decade and a half has been to have the Pixar characters supplant Disney characters and now we're cramming in Lucasfilm and Marvel to the full hilt. I'm all for progress and using properties where they work, but my goodness, it's borderlines on a cluster...... Tomorrowland filled with Pixar, now the Studios with Pixar, don't forget your obligatory amount at Epcot, followed by the Star Wars Studios, and the shoehorning of Marvel in any way, shape, or form they can barely muster due to the legal agreement with Universal. It's pathetic.

I used to be saddened by the naysayers that saw Disney as nothing more than the example of America's phony consumerism and corporate shilling beyond comparison. When I see what the company has turned the parks into, I think that many of those people were onto something.
Had the Haunted Mansion Movie been a hit, you most definitely would have seen major changes. Pirates was changed for obvious reasons (and some people still moan about those changes). CBJ would have been changed as well except the movie was rotten.

The park attractions need to evolve with the current IP for the sake of youth. Out with the old and in with the new. Davy Crockett had to retire and Rod Serling will need to retire too.

I'm sorry but that's the way it goes. If Disney has a hit film (or string of films) the park attractions are going to change. As Walt used to say, just think of it as plussing.

I sympathize with your nostalgic yearnings and I too sometimes wish the clock would stop in order to retain my favorite era, music or theme park attraction. But I'm practical enough to understand that time waits for no man. So it my responsibility to savor and get my fill of Mr. Toad, 20K, The Skyway, having lead pellets in the Shootin' Arcade, The Main Street Magic Shop and other such attractions before theme park evolution changes or eliminates them.

And it's just common sense for Disney to push their own IP to sell Groot plush.

Wikkler

Had the Haunted Mansion Movie been a hit, you most definitely would have seen major changes. Pirates was changed for obvious reasons (and some people still moan about those changes). CBJ would have been changed as well except the movie was rotten.

The park attractions need to evolve with the current IP for the sake of youth. Out with the old and in with the new. Davy Crockett had to retire and Rod Serling will need to retire too.

I'm sorry but that's the way it goes. If Disney has a hit film (or string of films) the park attractions are going to change. As Walt used to say, just think of it as plussing.

I sympathize with your nostalgic yearnings and I too sometimes wish the clock would stop in order to retain my favorite era, music or theme park attraction. But I'm practical enough to understand that time waits for no man. So it my responsibility to savor and get my fill of Mr. Toad, 20K, The Skyway, having lead pellets in the Shootin' Arcade, The Main Street Magic Shop and other such attractions before theme park evolution changes or eliminates them.

And it's just common sense for Disney to push their own IP to sell Groot plush.
I don't have enough food to feed you. Shoo.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom