Marvel coming to WDW?!?!

Rodan75

I suspect it would be RnR coaster. Aerosmith is retiring next year and it would be an easy overlay with the mix tape music.

I believe folks have stated that the current target is somewhere outside of DHS and seemed to hint that it was looking like a pavilion in FW would have some GOTG influences.

I think RNRC would be an easy swap out and wouldn't upset too many folks. But for the same reason they are likely not doing TOT they wouldn't do RNRC...DHS can't afford to lose another attraction right now.

Magenta Panther

I hate to break it to you, but TDO/TDA doesn't at all care about nostalgic fans' (such as myself) opinions. The story told by the numbers is that upset nostalgic fans are the "vocal minority" and that despite people saying that they'll "cancel their AP", they rarely do. Look at what happened with Maelstrom and FEA... that just gave TDO/TDA management all the more reason to ignore angry nostalgic fans when changing a classic attraction.

EDIT: Just to clarify, the GotG ToT in DHS is absolute dead, at least currently. I'm just saying that their leaving the ToT alone has very little to do with us nostalgic fans.

For my part, I'm not a fan of ToT because of nostalgia. I'm a fan because it's a terrific, nearly-perfect attraction, one of the best in the world. An attraction that, incidentally, TDO's recent efforts haven't been able to even match, much less surpass. So ya know what you do with an attraction like that, TDO? YOU LEAVE IT ALONE. Just do that. Please and thank you!

Magenta Panther

Plans have progressed pretty far along a different path, thankfully. Although there are still discussions of removing The Twilight Zone and just having the Tower of Terror. Plot would largely stay the same though. Just no Rod. Could be as simple as a new preshow and voiceover--the change could happen overnight.

Why don't they just leave it as is? Does the IP license cost THAT much? (Although I have always said that the haunted Hollywood hotel concept could totally work without Rod Serling. I just don't get why TDO would bother with removing him).

seabreezept813

Plans have progressed pretty far along a different path, thankfully. Although there are still discussions of removing The Twilight Zone and just having the Tower of Terror. Plot would largely stay the same though. Just no Rod. Could be as simple as a new preshow and voiceover--the change could happen overnight.

It's better than the GotG alternative, but I would definately miss the Twilight Zone. This ride made me interested in the show as a kid and that was in the 90s when it only ran on New Year's Day nonstop.

Sped2424

That stinks but it is preferable to GOTG killing off Tower.

dizneycrazy09

I hate to break it to you, but TDO/TDA doesn't at all care about nostalgic fans' (such as myself) opinions. The story told by the numbers is that upset nostalgic fans are the "vocal minority" and that despite people saying that they'll "cancel their AP", they rarely do. Look at what happened with Maelstrom and FEA... that just gave TDO/TDA management all the more reason to ignore angry nostalgic fans when changing a classic attraction.

EDIT: Just to clarify, the GotG ToT in DHS is absolute dead, at least currently. I'm just saying that their leaving the ToT alone has very little to do with us nostalgic fans.

Oh, I know. Sometimes I like to pretend like my voice is actually heard, like in this case or when I vote.

rioriz

If what I heard is true, my reaction is halfway between "meh" and "could be worse"

I will laugh out loud when Disney presents a half arsed attempt of a GotG ride as the first Marvel property in WDW and down the road Universal is once again pushing the boundaries in their new MCU Avengers ride...

Gaurdians is one of my fav movies this decade and while it doesn't need the Star Wars treatment, Disney would be kicking the can if they don't give the franchise a Great Presence...in Epcot

WDW1974

Original Poster
Just a quickee update, but EPCOT's Future World seems to have been settled on as the future home of the Guardians of the Galaxy because you know ... either they belong ... or, like the misplaced Frozen, they are hot IP that Bob Iger loves and they will get shoved up anywhere.

I've heard two FW locations (one that basically is not being utilized currently, the other a pavilion that is limping along and only open because Disney can't close anything else).

But it would appear WDW's ToT is safe for now from absurd overlays ... DCA on the other hand is not ...

Last edited:

Mike S

Just a quickee update, but EPCOT's Future World seems to have been settled on as the future home of the Guardians of the Galaxy because you know ... either they belong ... or, like Frozen, they are hot IP that Bob Iger bought and they will get shoved up anywhere.

I've heard two FW locations (one that basically is not being utilized currently, the other a pavilion that is limping along and only open because Disney can't close anything else).

But it would appear WDW's ToT is safe for now from absurd overlays ... DCA on the other hand is not ...
I'm guessing it's between Energy and WoL by that description. I would've happily accepted Tomorrowland over this. Or more appropriately in the corpse of DHS.

Will this be a new build and not shoved into an existing ride path at least?

R.I.P EPCOT Center :(

Last edited:

Chef Kronk

Just a quickee update, but EPCOT's Future World seems to have been settled on as the future home of the Guardians of the Galaxy because you know ... either they belong ... or, like Frozen, they are hot IP that Bob Iger bought and they will get shoved up anywhere.

So does this mean RnRC will not be re-themed to GotG?

Haymarket2008

Magic Eye Theatre and Universe of Energy, I presume?

doctornick

I'd actually be quite fine without the TZ branding. I enjoy the show and do get a kick out of the "Sterling" pre-show. But hen I think about it, the ride itself actually lacks a real Twilight Zone kicker -- it's really just a haunted hotel and we manage to escape alive. The TZ always had some sort of twist that subverted the story, but the ride seems to have a straightfoward narrative. (Perhaps someone will chime in and explain that I've been missing the twist all this year, which I might be).

Point being, there's no reason it can't just be a haunted hotel dating from the Golden Era of Hollywood. The TZ branding isn't really needed or critical to the story.

PizzaPlanet

This is great news, at least for DHS's Tower of Terror. But for Epcot and DCA...

doctornick

Magic Eye Theatre and Universe of Energy, I presume?

The Magic Eye Theater is currently being used (by the Pixar Short film festival) so it doesn't really fit the label of "not being utilized". That almost certainly has to be a reference to the WoL pavilion.

I agree with @Mike S that UoE seems like the most likely location for the "limping along" pavilion. Maybe you could argue M:S but that still seems relatively popular.

I'd be all for something going into WoL. Perhaps they'd reuse the existing show building for Body Wars (even doing a new simulator ride with the same setup) -- that would actually allow the bulk of the building to still be available for "festival' stuff. I don't have a clue how they'd try to make GotG "work" for FW though; if it were some concept like the Stark Expo, you could see a tortuous link but GotG is just sci-fi fantasy.

If it ended up replacing UoE, would it be a brand new from the ground up ride? Or reusing the existing mechanism? A slow moving theater ride doesn't seem to fit the franchise. Maybe the Collector has some dinosaurs he wants to show off or something though.

Grumpy4196

I'm guessing it's between Energy and WoL by that description. I would've happily accepted Tomorrowland over this.
Although this would fit thematically in Tomorrowland why would anyone want ANOTHER attraction in the most visited park in the world, especially when there are 3 other parks languishing. No matter how much we want the old EPCOT to return it is not going to happen. I would rather see SOMETHING done in FW than to see it sit and rot as it is currently doing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom