Marvel coming to WDW?!?!

Donaldfan1934

Look I dont really care personally, I have no interest in comic books or the characters. But those, with far more interest than I, have taken time to humour your quite frankly mental ramblings and engaged you in discussion. Sadly you seem to have taken this as validation of interest in your personal fantasies.
The lack of discussion may be down to those who live in some form of reality in terms of theme park developments beleiving that what you wish to discuss is pie in the SKY.

If your auntie had baws shed be your uncle.
If I were fantasizing, I would've said that Universal would surely relinquish the rights to Disney so they can build a better land at DHS 2.0. If anything, I'm trying to counter the fantastical notion that Universal is some near perfect dream factory where there are only total and complete sucesses. The discussion would exist without me or not. There have been a number of others who have shared similar views on here. I've just been propelling it a bit the past couple of pages.

lazyboy97o

If I were fantasizing, I would've said that Universal would surely relinquish the rights to Disney so they can build a better land at DHS 2.0. If anything, I'm trying to counter the fantastical notion that Universal is some near perfect dream factory where there are only total and complete sucesses. The discussion would exist without me or not. There have been a number of others who have shared similar views on here. I've just been propelling it a bit the past couple of pages.
You're grasping at straws because you can't quote a single clause, you cannot back up your claims. Universal being a dream factory has nothing to do with the rather plain language of the contract.

Last edited:

Quinnmac000

So what I'm gettting at is you are making stuff up because Universal is doing something right which is why people have been praising them over Disney? Wow.

I get loving Disney and I'm not trying to offend but I feel that is a notion that enables Disney to cheapen out and cut things. Its a dangerous road to go down.

Last edited:

Donaldfan1934

The funny thing is why are you complaining about Universal not creating an avengers ride 4 years when Disney could've also done it at the same time on the west.

Anyways as the contract has been up for debate many times, BriMan over at Orlando United broke it down what Disney can and can't do and what rights Universal has in regards to Marvel. Maybe then some questions will finally stop.
You're right, Disney should've built the land in DCA by now. Although, the ideal situation would be for them to be building a third gate that better incorporates franchises like Marvel and Star Wars as we speak. But the reality is that Universal builds a ride per year and Disney doesn't. Since we're going by this reality where Marvel also dominates the box office, why would you green light any other ride when you have the Avengers. Thanks for mentioning the Orlando United article. I'll be sure to check it out.

lazyboy97o

You're right, Disney should've built the land in DCA by now. Although, the ideal situation would be for them to be building a third gate that better incorporates franchises like Marvel and Star Wars as we speak. But the reality is that Universal builds a ride per year and Disney doesn't. Since we're going by this reality where Marvel also dominates the box office, why would you green light any other ride when you have the Avengers. Thanks for mentioning the Orlando United article. I'll be sure to check it out.
Five year development timelines are not unusual.

I did with the timeline, remember? you just shut it down.
Because it had absolutely nothing to do with your point. Just because you can quote any random line doesn't make it relevant.

The situation was hypothetical based on theories and speculation from multiple pages back. Speaking of a hypothetical situation doesn't mean I'm making stuff up.
The contract is known. There is no hypothetical.

Mike S

Because other parts of the parks needed attention more than Marvel Supehero Island did. Disaster! and Twister needed replacements and both are coming next year. Transformers made great use of what used to be dead space. The Springfield expansion was hugely successful compared to what the area used to be. KidZone will be replaced by Nintendo. They're fixing the weaker areas first while they also made upgrades to Spider-Man and Hulk.

Quinnmac000

Because other parts of the parks needed attention more than Marvel Supehero Island did. Disaster! and Twister needed replacements and both are coming next year. Transformers made great use of what used to be dead space. The Springfield expansion was hugely successful compared to what the area used to be. KidZone will be replaced by Nintendo. They're fixing the weaker areas first while they also made upgrades to Spider-Man and Hulk.

He would know...he currently is there right now....listen to him Donaldfan.

Donaldfan1934

Five year development timelines are not unusual.

Because it had absolutely nothing to do with your point. Just because you can quote any random line doesn't make it relevant.

The contract is known. There is no hypothetical.
Ok, that's true, but doesnt that count construction too? The timeline part had to do with how they may not have used the MCU already, so yes, it was relevant. As @Quinnmac000 stated, the language of the contract has often been debated about so there were theories about a deal with Disney that would work in there favor. I was just saying why that wouldn't be the case in a situation that hypothetical.

Mike S

He would know...he currently is there right now....listen to him Donaldfan.
I actually just got to my hotel. I also have a nice review of the TMs in Diagon Alley. I was by the ice cream shop and asked where I could buy Butterbeer Fudge which I read about online (if it's possible to taste heaven, that's what it would taste like :hungry:). The TM told me about the new sweet shop that opened and where to go then actually walked me over there. When I got there the TM working the counter took my order before I even got to the register to make things a bit faster even though it wasn't that long of a wait. TMs just seem very happy overall. I also saw trash being taken care of multiple times to prevent overflowing cans. Let's see how Disney goes.

Donaldfan1934

I must say that I agree with you that Disaster, Kids Zone, and Twister replacements were prioritized since those experiences were very outdated. It doesn't explain why things like the wholly indepent Kong got greenlit first, but I can see why USO is getting more than IoA because it simply should.

Quinnmac000

I must say that I agree with you that Disaster, Kids Zone, and Twister replacements were prioritized since those experiences were very outdated. It doesn't explain why things like the wholly indepent Kong got greenlit first, but I can see why USO is getting more than IoA because it simply should.

Kong was green lit before Avengers even came out. It just wasn't announced until 3 years later.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.

Im typing this slowly so the hard of thinking can understand. I am a tourist, a consumer, I have no allegiance to any particular brand of entertainment provider, I just want to be entertained. I say what I like and what I don't like regardless of ownership, its just personal opinion, OK its more valid than most because its mine but we cant all be me.
Your slavish devotion to one mega corporation is dully noted, but I think you are letting the frustrations' you are suppressing as a fan boy of comic books, and Disney's failure to quench your thirst for mouse created attractions, eradicate any rational thought as to how a multinational corporate monster may please its shareholders before dealing with the whims a niche section of fans. If they are getting profit from no outlay why would they even consider spending?
Its fantastic that something so banal generates such passion in one so young, but sadly its just a little misplaced as many many people are trying to tell you. Its all about the money and Disney are getting a whack from a competitor whos success is mutually beneficial for both organisations and all for no costs. Yep theyll be desperate to shred those agreements and splash out on a twenty year building plan of one spinner two meet n greets and a couple of shops n eateries. Cha fuggin Ching.

Donaldfan1934

Kong was green lit before Avengers even came out. It just wasn't announced until 3 years later.
That makes a bit more sense. Although, priorities do shift with the world around them. An example of this would be Jimmy Fallon being the Twister replacement. I doubt that was the case before he got bumped up to the Tonight Show time slot 2 years ago.

Quinnmac000

That makes a bit more sense. Although, priorities do shift with the world around them. An example of this would be Jimmy Fallon being the Twister replacement. I doubt that was the case before he got bumped up to the Tonight Show time slot 2 years ago.

Jimmy Fallon attraction is going to be a not as expensive D-ticket attraction on a ride system that will be relatively easy to update and change later on to boost capacity. Twister was old and half the effects were working to the best of their ability so I'm sure that helped push up getting it in line and also with Fast and Furious and Kidzone closing later on. They had to work on increasing and getting old stuff that can be fixed done now rather than later in the Studios.

Marvel has 9 more films lined up after infinity wars so Universal not jumping to get an Avengers ride up on a franchise that still probably has 20 more films being made from it makes sense. There is a lot of red line as they have to make sure its good enough for Marvel. (Universal has to spend money for top notch Marvel attractions per contract or Marvel can pull the plug if they have documentation of it.). So development for that over Kong will take a lot more time and effort similar to what Disney has to do for Pandora.

Mike S

Kong was supposed to replace Disaster! originally but then they thought, "we can do better."

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The funny thing is why are you complaining about Universal not creating an avengers ride 4 years when Disney could've also done it at the same time on the west.

Anyways as the contract has been up for debate many times, BriMan over at Orlando United broke it down what Disney can and can't do and what rights Universal has in regards to Marvel. Maybe then some questions will finally stop.

His interpretation of the contract is interesting. He cites the section about the Marvel Action Universe, which was a retail concept that Marvel was going to develop, as proof that Disney cannot use ANY Marvel character at WDW since it is within 60 miles of Universal. This is definitely a new interpretation.

This article will do nothing to stop the questions. The writer does not claim to be a lawyer, so his opinions on the contract hold no more weight then anyone else who posts on these message boards.

Quinnmac000

His interpretation of the contract is interesting. He cites the section about the Marvel Action Universe, which was a retail concept that Marvel was going to develop, as proof that Disney cannot use ANY Marvel character at WDW since it is within 60 miles of Universal. This is definitely a new interpretation.

This article will do nothing to stop the questions. The writer does not claim to be a lawyer, so his opinions on the contract hold no more weight then anyone else who posts on these message boards.

Its interesting perspective but I think the strongest statements are these two that he highlighted.

b. Mini-theme parks, recreation centers, game centers and the like designated with the Marvel name or the name of any Marvel characters or any major entertainment component of a Marvel Action Universe such as a motion based film ride shall not be within 60 miles of any Universal Theme Park with a THE MARVEL UNIVERSE.

iii. Within the ADI market of the city containing a Universal Theme Park (even to the extent such ADI exceeds a 60 mile radius) there shall not be a Marvel themed simulator ride.

So what it says to me is they can theme Tower of Terror in WDW to Guardians of the galaxy but Guardians of the galaxy logo and the marvel logo can not even be used nor will they be able to market it publicly. So essential Disney can try to do whatever but in the end, you can only rely on word of mouth to say you have marvel in your parks.

Donaldfan1934

Jimmy Fallon attraction is going to be a not as expensive D-ticket attraction on a ride system that will be relatively easy to update and change later on to boost capacity. Twister was old and half the effects were working to the best of their ability so I'm sure that helped push up getting it in line and also with Fast and Furious and Kidzone closing later on. They had to work on increasing and getting old stuff that can be fixed done now rather than later in the Studios.

Marvel has 9 more films lined up after infinity wars so Universal not jumping to get an Avengers ride up on a franchise that still probably has 20 more films being made from it makes sense. There is a lot of red line as they have to make sure its good enough for Marvel. (Universal has to spend money for top notch Marvel attractions per contract or Marvel can pull the plug if they have documentation of it.). So development for that over Kong will take a lot more time and effort similar to what Disney has to do for Pandora.
This solidifies a few things. The question is, what does Marvel consider top notch? if Universal has to play to Marvel's approval, they might end up bringing the attraction down from an E ticket type ride to something small, yet "reasonable" by contract standards.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom