Marketplace Co Op coming to Downtown Disney in early 2014

SirLink

But then you would hear nothing but complaints that it's all "high end shops" that are overpriced or "I would never go to Disney World to buy a $300 pair of shoes". I think if they are adding 50 stores there is plenty of room for everything. Some high end designer fashion shops, some standard shops found at most malls or outlets, some unique attraction/store combo stores and of course more Disney related stuff (both unique items and products readily available everywhere). With the number of foreign tourists at WDW you also can't assume that everything available at your local mall is available in Brazil or even England. With so many stores they should be able to have something for everyone as long as they keep a broad focus.

Don't have so many stores then. Believe it or not if there is an awesome new brand that is only available in say Harrods and they have the exclusive on it here in the UK - use the fact its WDW to get around it an have unique shops. I would rather pay $300(so £200) on a Menswear at Disney Springs with brands I enjoy than buying it on One Disney Goods. There are tons of unique products out there some only available at one store such as the Harrods, or brands which don't have a brick and mortar base of operations. There should be no standard shops found at any Mall ... hence why maybe Disney should get rid of the World of Disney seen as they already have one in MK. I have a lego store as well in my local Mall.... think outside the box.

SirLink

Even considering the international visitors who like to shop, Disney's high rent won't allow these stores to compete with the Premium Outlets. Too many common brands with inflated prices just help create an atmosphere of being a ripoff and tourist trap.

Exactly which is why they may as well focus on stores that have limited presence internationally.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Don't have so many stores then. Believe it or not if there is an awesome new brand that is only available in say Harrods and they have the exclusive on it here in the UK - use the fact its WDW to get around it an have unique shops. I would rather pay $300(so £200) on a Menswear at Disney Springs with brands I enjoy than buying it on One Disney Goods. There are tons of unique products out there some only available at one store such as the Harrods, or brands which don't have a brick and mortar base of operations. There should be no standard shops found at any Mall ... hence why maybe Disney should get rid of the World of Disney seen as they already have one in MK. I have a lego store as well in my local Mall.... think outside the box.
I don't think that's the plan. I haven't seen anywhere where Disney described having only unique stores that sell items only found there. It's a pretty narrow focus and probably not a great economic decision. They are trying to appeal to a much more diverse base of people. There is no reason they couldn't have a store that sells exactly what you describe and be "one of a kind" and then have 2 stores found in your local mall in another section or even on either side. If you go to Disney Springs to shop you would skip the stores you don't like and shop in the ones you do like. That goes for World or Disney too. How is it going to negatively impact your experience if there are stores you don't have any interest in shopping at as long as they do have what you want in a different store? You are basically saying have less stores but make them all unique. I'm saying build more stores and mix in the unique with popular chains. You still get the unique stores either way.

Beholder

As far as what I'd "like" to see, I like the worlds fair idea. Create a "world bazar" if you will. Don't replicate WS, but perhaps create smaller footprints from countries who don't have the resources or inclination to fund/sponsor an entire pavilion in EPCOT. Israel, Spain, Egypt, Russia, Greece, and countless others can show off and market those things that are unique to their region and culture. Food stuffs, clothing, regional sports teams, beverages, toys, and perhaps a chance to "sell" the idea of actually visiting their respective country. Throw in items from each country's history like books or replica artifacts, and there you go. Something like "Downtown Disney's World Market Place". I don't know, I'm just spit balling here, but I'd like it anyway.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
As far as what I'd "like" to see, I like the worlds fair idea. Create a "world bazar" if you will. Don't replicate WS, but perhaps create smaller footprints from countries who don't have the resources or inclination to fund/sponsor an entire pavilion in EPCOT. Israel, Spain, Egypt, Russia, Greece, and countless others can show off and market those things that are unique to their region and culture. Food stuffs, clothing, regional sports teams, beverages, toys, and perhaps a chance to "sell" the idea of actually visiting their respective country. Throw in items from each country's history like books or replica artifacts, and there you go. Something like "Downtown Disney's World Market Place". I don't know, I'm just spit balling here, but I'd like it anyway.
I love this idea!

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It could also be a more appropriate place to have a more permanent version of the food and wine festival.

71jason

I like the idea of the store but not the name. I'm guessing if any of these brands take off they could become their own store or if not popular they would be replaced. There is a sports section of the store so I'm guessing that is where the popular Team Mickey items will go.

Exactly. And the D-Tech stuff is already offered at kiosks around DTD. It sounds like this is World of Disney Part II.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
This sounds like a really bad joke. But I'm sure Disney will be able to replicate a true NYC shopping experience and create a haven for the "sophisticated woman with a passion for scarves, shoes, bags and jewelry."

You mean the sidewalk sales in brooklyn at 200x the price

disney4life2008

Same merch as everywhere else 2x the price

I am not a fan of DD in its current state and it sounds like the updated disney springs will not be anything more than upscale shopping and dining. To be honest, I much preferred Hyperian Wharf at least that was themed and seemed like it would bring more entertainment. But disney springs - I am picturing a large outdoor shopping mall no different than what already exists everywhere else in Orlando

luv

It sounds to me like a place with cheaper rents, for stores who don't want to commit to (or can't afford) paying Disney astronomical sums without seeing how they'll make out first.

As long as it's all pretty and has open space, I'm all for whatever they put in.

I'd like it to be more unique, though. We already have malls here. :)

PrincessNelly_NJ

I'm sad to see Team Mickey go but hopefully "D-Tech on Demand" will carry things for Galaxy phones/tablets and not just Apple products.. that really bugs me!

freediverdude

I think a really good idea for something that isn't anywhere else, would be a large area with spaces for people to sell their kickstarter-type projects. This might be a little edgy or forward-thinking for Disney, but I think people would flock to it. It would be like a real innoventions that people could invest in and get actual products. A lot of those crowd funded type projects aren't that expensive to buy into either, like Coin for example.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom