Marketplace Co Op coming to Downtown Disney in early 2014

71jason

Just out of curiosity is there anything they could announce for Disney Springs that would make people happy?

Off the top of my dome ...
  • Adult-focused nightlife (but you saw that coming)
  • Stores that double as attractions (Lego is a good example, from what I hear World of Coke would have been/would be as well)
  • Something original and novel that no one's ever thought of before--like building a permanent World's Fair (not saying to clone EPCOT, but in 1981, that was a shocking new idea you didn't see five of in any metropolitan region)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Yes. Realistic and varied shops. A larger variety of restaurants. Oh... and a 2014 completion date. And a return of PI.
The first 2, yes. The last 2, no shot.

I'm just curious what everyone would consider varied shops. Most people seem to feel they shouldn't include stores found in your local mall or at an outlet. It also seems a lot of people don't want stores that sell products found in other parts of the parks either. That's fine, but it's not realistic to think they will add 50 stores and every one will be unique. There aren't enough unique concepts out there. I think they will need to blend in both existing and unique to be successful. I'm just assuming that when they eventually get around to announcing the new vendors we are going to hear a lot of "I have one of those in my local mall" comments.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Off the top of my dome ...
  • Adult-focused nightlife (but you saw that coming)
  • Stores that double as attractions (Lego is a good example, from what I hear World of Coke would have been/would be as well)
  • Something original and novel that no one's ever thought of before--like building a permanent World's Fair (not saying to clone EPCOT, but in 1981, that was a shocking new idea you didn't see five of in any metropolitan region)
Good ideas.

It's kinda too bad that Legoland opened down the road. I think they could have expanded the Lego store into a Lego section of DTD. Especially considering that some of Lego's best sellers right now are Star Wars and Marvel sets. I doubt Lego would be interested in expanding their presence now.

I think both Coke and M&M have/had something like what you are suggesting in Vegas. Those types of attraction/stores would be great adds. I also think they should offer some sort of unique transportation. I know they have boats to take you from one side to the other, but something like a monorail (probably too expensive) or trolley cars.

lazyboy97o

Just out of curiosity is there anything they could announce for Disney Springs that would make people happy?
A social club for explorers and adventurers...

While the World of Coca-Cola has the obligatory exit through the gift shop, it is the end to a bigger museum.

Slowjack

So it's a way to try out store concepts, with minimal investment and theming, that they are trying to call a Co-Op? I suppose it's refreshing candor that new developments are touted strictly on the basis of financials, even on a guest-facing site like the Parks Blog, but I still find the press release a bit odd. This paragraph, for example, uses a lot of words to say nothing:
“Think about your favorite marketplaces from across the US,” said Tom. “These unique shopping experiences in major cities like Seattle, San Francisco, Los Angeles, or New York all have something in common – they are compelling and distinct, allow visitors to connect to the environment, and foster a sense of discovery. This is our goal with the Marketplace Co Op.”
Unique shopping experiences...that all have something in common. So they aren't unique after all. But wait. What do they have in common? That they are distinct. Um, okay. So, like all these other places are different from each other, the Co-Op will be different from all of them. And then, by doing so, will be just like them. Got it. And what's the goal of the Co-Op? For visitors to connect with their environment. The environment here being a big store. Do corporate types have macros that generate this blather automatically?

I can just see the smiling faces of the children when their parents tell them to good news. Disney World is getting even better. Now we can connect with our environment and foster a sense of discovery. That may confuse the smaller children, but then the adults can patiently explain that it means we'll help Disney find out which types of stores best separate us from our money, and the smiles will quickly return.

G00fyDad

I'm just curious what everyone would consider varied shops. Most people seem to feel they shouldn't include stores found in your local mall or at an outlet. It also seems a lot of people don't want stores that sell products found in other parts of the parks either. That's fine, but it's not realistic to think they will add 50 stores and every one will be unique. There aren't enough unique concepts out there. I think they will need to blend in both existing and unique to be successful. I'm just assuming that when they eventually get around to announcing the new vendors we are going to hear a lot of "I have one of those in my local mall" comments.

None of it has a good shot. The question was what would people actually like to see there. Not what is actually coming. We are going to end up with fancy-shmancy shops, high-end tasteless restaurants, and no PI. AND, it will take until late 2015 to complete.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
None of it has a good shot. The question was what would people actually like to see there. Not what is actually coming. We are going to end up with fancy-shmancy shops, high-end tasteless restaurants, and no PI. AND, it will take until late 2015 to complete.
Well you will get a larger variety of restaurants and more varied shops unless they leave the store fronts vacant. Whether or not you like the variety or the offerings is a whole different issue.

RSoxNo1

This is an interesting concept, I think D-Tech has been some of the best stuff Disney has done merchandise wise in the last 10 years. In a time when homogenization has been ever increasing, the D-Tech stuff stands out.

SirLink

Ya know just a hunch but maybe that is the problem in a nutshell that all Disney is building is a shopping centre. They need to get brands that have shops that double as attractions, but also stores that are only available in one place in the world. Not stores that are available within a 20 mile radius. Bring in designer fashion labels from Milan/Barcelona/Etc.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Ya know just a hunch but maybe that is the problem in a nutshell that all Disney is building is a shopping centre. They need to get brands that have shops that double as attractions, but also stores that are only available in one place in the world. Not stores that are available within a 20 mile radius. Bring in designer fashion labels from Milan/Barcelona/Etc.

But then you would hear nothing but complaints that it's all "high end shops" that are overpriced or "I would never go to Disney World to buy a $300 pair of shoes". I think if they are adding 50 stores there is plenty of room for everything. Some high end designer fashion shops, some standard shops found at most malls or outlets, some unique attraction/store combo stores and of course more Disney related stuff (both unique items and products readily available everywhere). With the number of foreign tourists at WDW you also can't assume that everything available at your local mall is available in Brazil or even England. With so many stores they should be able to have something for everyone as long as they keep a broad focus.

Disneykidder

The stores look cool but my gang liked to go to Tem Disney while I headed to Tred-D. I'm not going to tell them all of this as they will be highly annoyed.

John

Sure beats the same adult S and XXL shirts that have been hanging on the same racks for over a year because all the good sizes were sold out or the shirt was overpriced generic crap to begin with.

Who goes to Disney to buy a Baltimore Ravens ball cap?

oooooooppppsss that might be me?

lazyboy97o

But then you would hear nothing but complaints that it's all "high end shops" that are overpriced or "I would never go to Disney World to buy a $300 pair of shoes". I think if they are adding 50 stores there is plenty of room for everything. Some high end designer fashion shops, some standard shops found at most malls or outlets, some unique attraction/store combo stores and of course more Disney related stuff (both unique items and products readily available everywhere). With the number of foreign tourists at WDW you also can't assume that everything available at your local mall is available in Brazil or even England. With so many stores they should be able to have something for everyone as long as they keep a broad focus.
Even considering the international visitors who like to shop, Disney's high rent won't allow these stores to compete with the Premium Outlets. Too many common brands with inflated prices just help create an atmosphere of being a ripoff and tourist trap.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
I like the idea of the store but not the name. I'm guessing if any of these brands take off they could become their own store or if not popular they would be replaced. There is a sports section of the store so I'm guessing that is where the popular Team Mickey items will go.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom