Trip Report Making Lemonade out of Lemons Fractal Family Trip Report - Completed

I think we can all agree that so far 2020 has been one big sour lemon.

For those that did not read my Pre-Trip report; my entire family (Val-wife, Alex - oldest daughter, Sterg - son, Toni - youngest daughter) has recovered from the Covid-19 virus. Myself, Val, Sterg and Toni got it in March and Alex in April while working as a nurse. Val had it worse with a fever for a couple days and flu like symptoms for about a week. The rest of us were either asymptomatic or had minor symptoms.

Add to that the mental stress of living in a society dealing with this pandemic, Toni missing out on a big chunk of her High School Senior Year and her last dance recital (where she was going to take on a major role as Jasmine), work reductions for Sterg and high stress work conditions for Alex on the front line. Yes, 2020 has sure been one big sourpuss.

But, as the saying goes; "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade!"

It just so happened that last year I made a reservation to attend the annual AHEPA convention in Walt Disney World, just as I did in 2017. We were going to stay at the Grand Destino Towers but that seemed very much in jeopardy when AHEPA (which is a charitable organization I'm involved with. Like a Greek version of the Knights of Columbus or Lions Club.) cancelled their convention. Soon after however, I received an email that Disney would honor our reservation in July. This was pretty tempting since we had convention rates and discounts on tickets. Long story short, we decided to go. We felt that having already had the virus gave us an extra level of protection and we knew that Disney would handle the health risks properly. In addition, we later found out that our rooms were moved from Grand Destino to the Contemporary in order to accommodate the LA Lakers and Milwaukee Bucks. Sterg's and my dream of playing Marco Polo with the Greek Freak and LeBron James in the pool were quickly dashed. But who could say no to staying at The Contemporary for $175 a night?

We were a go! It was frustrating however because although we had a resort reservation we did not have park tickets. We also didn't have a "park pass" which was needed during this reopening of WDW. We had to wait for all that to open and I had serious doubts it would by the time our first day at the resort (July 20th) rolled around. I decided to book flights without tickets or park passes. Southwest had roundtrip flights from Philly to Orlando for $90 plus if you had to cancel you got that credit for a future flight. No brainer. This was turning out to be the cheapest Disney trip we have taken as a family! Soon after I was open to buy tickets and book Park Passes. We had started to squeeze that lemon and add it's juice to our pitcher of cold water.

Now for the Cast of our adventure.

Myself - Chris/Fractal. A lover of Disney Parks for the many memories it has given me over the years with my family, the way it helps me completely unwind from my job, and how it taps into my creative side and challenges my skills as a photographer.

Here I am with my crazy kids at Christmas.

MVIMG_20191224_220836-XL.jpg

Val - my beautiful wife. Not the biggest fan of Disney but in the end she was on board. I think secretly she likes it more than she lets on. I will make it up to her with a trip more to her liking.

Here she is with Alex.

00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20180816202048133_COVER-XL.jpg

Alex - our oldest. Now a traveling nurse. Alex is like me in many ways but as she's getting older and more responsible I'm starting to see her take on a number of Val's traits. She's a good mix and always a delight to be with.

From a trip to Colorado we took last year;

DSC00630-XL.jpg

Sterg, aka Fractal Jr. One word to describe Sterg - catalyst - he just makes things happen. He creates reactions both good and bad. He graduated last year from Penn State. He was a captain on the Swim Team but not without drama. He had to miss his promising senior year of swimming when a series of concussions (all outside the water) forced him to medically retire. PSU handled it very well as he helped the team from the sidelines. He now works as a digital marketing consultant as well as helping his cousin get his music career off the ground. Never a dull moment when Sterg is around!

with our dog Prince (Charming).

20200706-DSC06336-X2.jpg

Toni - For long time readers of my reports you know that Toni and I have a special Disney connection. Many times she would be the only one up early with me to tackle the parks at opening. We have had many great adventures together in the Disney bubble. She's now technically an adult (how did that happen?) so I was going to find out this trip if the magic was still there. She's going to attend Clemson University starting next month and I couldn't be prouder.

Toni in front of the Theater her Recital was supposed to perform at.

20200616-DSC05993-X3.jpg

So Covid-19 made our family suffer in many ways, but we took that lemon, squeezed it's juice out into our water pitcher, now we just needed a little Disney sugar to make our Lemonade complete.

Coming up - Our trip begins with a WDW meet-up before our flight even leaves the ground!

MickeyCB

Still adding photos from this trip...

Still have to catch up on the rest of your report, but just had to say thank you so much for posting the link! The photos are stunning and now I'm going to have to do a little shopping!! Eagerly looking forward to seeing the remaining photos!
(You didn't by any chance get one of the partner's statue did you)? :D There's always a million people around when I've tried to get a good pic.

fractal

Original Poster
Val called to let us know she was entering the park. We agreed to meet at Flight of Passage.

This was a sad sight. My favorite boat to photograph at AK was sinking!

20200722-DSC09151-X3.jpg

Not looking good.

20200722-DSC09152-X3.jpg

There were a number of boats in AK that looked bad; as if they were abandoned.

We continued on our way. Sterg and Toni ahead while I lagged taking photos of things I found interesting.

20200722-DSC09154-X3.jpg

20200722-DSC09157-X3.jpg

We rendezvoused with Val and quickly made our way though the FoP queue.

20200722-DSC09160-X3.jpg

20200722-DSC09165-X3.jpg

Toni needed some wardrobe adjustments.

20200722-DSC09168-X3.jpg

20200722-DSC09169-X3.jpg

Don't know what this is but it looks cool! Can you spot the nickel and penny?

20200722-DSC09172-X3.jpg

Skull of something I don't want to mess with.

20200722-DSC09173-X3.jpg

20200722-DSC09174-X3.jpg

More important and authentic looking stuff.

20200722-DSC09175-X3.jpg

Back in our pre-show chamber.

20200722-DSC09179-X3.jpg

"Are we ready?" I asked like a football coach.

"Yes!" was the response.

20200722-DSC09180-X3.jpg

"Are we excited?"

"Yes!"

"OK team let's go!"

"Hi team"
Toni replied; having had enough of my pep speech.

At least they posed for me.

20200722-DSC09181-X3.jpg

fractal

Original Poster
Swooping and diving through the landscape of Pandora on our banshee certainly builds up an appetite!

Once again we had a wonderful meal at Satu'li Canteen.

20200722-DSC09184-X3.jpg

Now leaving Pandora;

20200722-DSC09185-X3.jpg

We had a hankering for another trip back in time.

20200722-DSC09188-X3.jpg

20200722-DSC09189-X3.jpg

20200722-DSC09190-X3.jpg

20200722-DSC09191-X3.jpg

20200722-DSC09192-X3.jpg

This time I was fully committed to capturing the inside of Dinosaur on my SD card; teeth be damned.

Never got this guy before.

20200722-DSC09198-X3.jpg

Was able to pull out more color and detail of the background here.

20200722-DSC09201-X3.jpg

another first for me; Raptor on the left!

20200722-DSC09203-X3.jpg

Carnotaurus with the lightning in the background!

20200722-DSC09206-X3.jpg

See you later buddy!

20200722-DSC09207-X3.jpg

Well, made it through with some new shots to add to my Dinosaur library and without the need to see an oral surgeon.

Heed the warning!

20200722-DSC09214-X3.jpg

fractal

Original Poster
Still have to catch up on the rest of your report, but just had to say thank you so much for posting the link! The photos are stunning and now I'm going to have to do a little shopping!! Eagerly looking forward to seeing the remaining photos!
(You didn't by any chance get one of the partner's statue did you)? :D There's always a million people around when I've tried to get a good pic.

Here's one.

DSC00676-X3.jpg

fractal

Original Poster
Literally the only ones in the store.

20200722-DSC09215-X3.jpg

Dino "chotsky"

20200722-DSC09216-X3.jpg

20200722-DSC09217-X3.jpg

20200722-DSC09218-X3.jpg

This truck had a redo. I think I like the original better, but on the list of things important to me at Walt Disney World this is way down.

20200722-DSC09219-X3.jpg

This was one of the highlights of the trip and classifies as something near the top of my list of things important to me at WDW. A cast member doing something extra like this is just an awesome thing to watch! I wish I would have gotten his name.

20200722-DSC09220-X3.jpg

Val wanted to ride Everest and who was I to argue? Plus I had a few more photos to take to complete my comprehensive mapping of the queue.

20200722-DSC09223-X2.jpg

20200722-DSC09225-X2.jpg

Val seriously thinks I'm insane for taking this photos.

"Who cares about this?"

"Oh, you would be surprised."

20200722-DSC09226-X2.jpg

resorted back to black and white for this...

20200722-DSC09227-X2.jpg

and this, which I really like in B&W.

20200722-DSC09230-X3.jpg

More queue mapping...

"Does anyone have a picture of the Serka Zong T-shirt?"

"Why yes Mr. Rohde I do!"

20200722-DSC09228-X3.jpg

20200722-DSC09229-X3.jpg

Another trip up the mountain!

Using the 24mm here.

20200722-DSC09232-X3.jpg

20200722-DSC09233-X3.jpg

20200722-DSC09237-X3.jpg

20200722-DSC09238-X3.jpg

20200722-DSC09244-X3.jpg

It was right after this that we bumped into @coachwnh and his crew. They asked if we wanted to ride Everest with them but we were monitoring Alex's close approach to the park.

20200722-DSC09245-X3.jpg

Two seconds later I got a call from Alex. She arrived at the parking lot only to be told she could not enter. She didn't give the reservation number I texted her before the trip only because she didn't think of it. The CM she dealt with didn't seem very helpful and started to get rude with Alex. She more or less told her to leave even though Alex explained she had a reservation at The Contemporary and tickets for AK on this day (couldn't she scan her wrist band?).

As much as we wanted to join our new friends from the Lehigh Valley PA, I had to excuse us to try to reel in Alex who was now on her way to The Contemporary!

Last edited:

fractal

Original Poster
Alex is a wonderful human being. She always thinks of others before herself and that trait is what makes her an awesome nurse.

That same trait however makes her a bit of a pushover. She was too nice to the CM at the parking lot entrance and was now driving off. I told her to pull up the reservation number I gave her, turn around and give it to that CM. She at first didn't believe me that it would work but after I insisted strongly for her to execute my plan she did. 15 minutes later she was parked and walking into AK.

We met her near the Tree of Life.

20200722-DSC09257-X3.jpg

20200722-DSC09254-X3.jpg

20200722-DSC09255-X3.jpg

Hi Alex!

20200722-DSC09256-X3.jpg

It was good to have the entire family together again at Walt Disney World! We've had 2 trips since 2013 that one of them was missing.

Time to show Alex what was new at Animal Kingdom and Avatar happens to be one of her favorite movies!

On our way. The Disney Characters boat cruises were still running.

20200722-DSC09258-X3.jpg

Not happy to see these guys all filled up with moss and plants growing in their "spouts" and on their shells. Last time they were shooting water out of those shells.

20200722-DSC09261-X3.jpg

Once again, we are briskly walking up the queue ramp to Flight of Passage.

20200722-DSC09265-X3.jpg

20200722-DSC09267-X3.jpg

Did you know there is a bathroom in the FoP queue line? I didn't until that day.

We had two people go to the bathroom and during that entire time not one person came up behind us.

20200722-DSC09268-X3.jpg

20200722-DSC09269-X3.jpg

Alex loved Flight of Passage which made me happy.

Off to our next adventure.

20200722-DSC09271-X3.jpg

UP NEXT - Is that giraffe going to move? Fisheye Everest looking really cool. Great times at Disney Springs!

belledream

I just read through all 16 pages (minus a few spoiler alerts) and I’m feeling so many emotions! Your photos are beautiful, and I am a total sucker for random details in queues and shop windows, so I am 100% feeling like I’m on this journey with you.

Also, your focus on photography and your interactions with your family, instead of the sadly now-standard COVID-talk is such a breath of fresh air... that reading this made me forget that there is a pandemic going on. It’s just another magical Disney vacation.

Lastly, while my children are still actual babies, seeing your kids embrace the World with their awesome dad gives me all the feels. I spend way too much time already worrying about them growing up too fast for my liking, but your various flashbacks remind me that there are so many different adventures to be had and memories to be made in the years to come.

Just want to say thank you! This really made my night.

imthewalrus79

Still adding photos from this trip...

Thanks so much for the link, @fractal. There are so many great shots that you could buy and hang throughout a home, even if you're not necessarily a Disney Parks fan, imo. And looking at all of those, I hope you are able to get over to the Tokyo Disneyland Resort someday. I'd love to see your beautiful photography around the most beautiful Disney Parks in the world, and even the city of Tokyo, in general.

And I can't wait to see the rest of the photos from this trip.

Darstarr

In the Parks
No
Did you know there is a bathroom in the FoP queue line? I didn't until that day.
Yes, I did. I learned that little fact on my last trip. Then I asked my friend I was with “what happens if one of us has to go? Do we both get out of line?” With that a young woman said “excuse me, I am trying to get back to my brother. I had to use the restroom.”
Mystery solved!

Also, I noticed you had drinks while walking around. Did you stick the straw under the mask to take a sip? Or demask briefly to take a sip? What is the approved procedure?😂
(The things we ask🤷‍♀️)

fractal

Original Poster
Your dinosaur pictures are amazing. I have trouble getting a good look at those things without a camera. Awesome job!

Thanks!

We totally understood, and we made up for it a few hours later!

Yes we did!

I just read through all 16 pages (minus a few spoiler alerts) and I’m feeling so many emotions! Your photos are beautiful, and I am a total sucker for random details in queues and shop windows, so I am 100% feeling like I’m on this journey with you.

Also, your focus on photography and your interactions with your family, instead of the sadly now-standard COVID-talk is such a breath of fresh air... that reading this made me forget that there is a pandemic going on. It’s just another magical Disney vacation.

Lastly, while my children are still actual babies, seeing your kids embrace the World with their awesome dad gives me all the feels. I spend way too much time already worrying about them growing up too fast for my liking, but your various flashbacks remind me that there are so many different adventures to be had and memories to be made in the years to come.

Just want to say thank you! This really made my night.

Thanks for reading and the kind words! Trips are definitely different as they get older but my kids still love going. Don't worry about them growing up just enjoy them as much along the way. :) I also recommend taking many more photos than necessary and writing trip reports. My kids (and I) love going back and reading the old ones.

If blessed enough, I'm not that far away from taking grandchildren to WDW!

Thanks so much for the link, @fractal. There are so many great shots that you could buy and hang throughout a home, even if you're not necessarily a Disney Parks fan, imo. And looking at all of those, I hope you are able to get over to the Tokyo Disneyland Resort someday. I'd love to see your beautiful photography around the most beautiful Disney Parks in the world, and even the city of Tokyo, in general.

And I can't wait to see the rest of the photos from this trip.

Thanks @imthewalrus79 ! I would love to go to Tokyo DL! Maybe I should start a Go Fund Me! :D
Yes, I did. I learned that little fact on my last trip. Then I asked my friend I was with “what happens if one of us has to go? Do we both get out of line?” With that a young woman said “excuse me, I am trying to get back to my brother. I had to use the restroom.”
Mystery solved!

Also, I noticed you had drinks while walking around. Did you stick the straw under the mask to take a sip? Or demask briefly to take a sip? What is the approved procedure?😂
(The things we ask🤷‍♀️)

The rule is you can take off your mask if you are stationary eating or drinking. So lots of quick stops along the way.

Yeah, I thought the bathroom queue was genius but also not sure of proper procedure. Luckily we didn't have to worry about that!

Thanks for following along!

Last edited:

arich35

Alex is a wonderful human being. She always thinks of others before herself and that trait is what makes her an awesome nurse.

That same trait however makes her a bit of a pushover. She was too nice to the CM at the parking lot entrance and was now driving off. I told her to pull up the reservation number I gave her, turn around and give it to that CM. She at first didn't believe me that it would work but after I insisted strongly for her to execute my plan she did. 15 minutes later she was parked and walking into AK.

Wow this sounds very familiar. My wife (27) is a nurse and has the same traits as your daughter, she is a big pushover and hardly ever listens to what I say the first time but eventually she does and it works out.

fractal

Original Poster
Alex really isn't a thrill ride type of person. Two of her favorite rides are Space Ship Earth and Kilimanjaro Safari. She likes the coasters and all but when she was at WDW last in 2015 she refused to go on Mission Space Orange (remember that for later). So after Flight of Passage I insisted we go on KS.

Some photos on the way...

20200722-DSC09273-X3.jpg

20200722-DSC09274-X3.jpg

In the queue.

20200722-DSC09278-X3.jpg
\

20200722-DSC09279-X3.jpg

The trucks had plexi glass shielding between each row and we were seated spaced - every other row. It made photography just a little more challenging.

Off we went on our safari and I was ready with my camera.

I was sporting my 85mm 1.8 lens and enjoyed it's quick and accurate autofocus.

20200722-DSC09283-X3.jpg

20200722-DSC09284-X3.jpg

The crocs were sunning themselves as they always are.

20200722-DSC09292-X3.jpg

20200722-DSC09296-X3.jpg

20200722-DSC09300-X3.jpg

Flamingos. So far everything going on script.

20200722-DSC09312-2-X3.jpg

The driver made a quick comment of the giraffe coming on the road. We didn't think much of it.

20200722-DSC09313-X3.jpg

We were more focused on the other giraffes.

20200722-DSC09318-X3.jpg

20200722-DSC09322-X3.jpg

But as we got closer to the "road" giraffe we realized just how close we were going to get. Alex said with some concern "Is that giraffe going to move? Are we going to hit it?" Typical Alex - worried about the giraffe.

The driver slowed down as we approached. I could almost pull on it's tail.

"Hi giraffe butt." Toni said. See the difference in sisters?

20200722-DSC09327-X3.jpg

As we slowly passed I had the opportunity to take some crazy close up photos. It was like a portrait session!

OK, now turn a little to your left...

20200722-DSC09328-X3.jpg

Very good!

20200722-DSC09330-X3.jpg

Now pretend you're eating a leaf...

20200722-DSC09331-2-X3.jpg

Great job, beautiful... now you can eat!

20200722-DSC09332-X3.jpg

Well that was fun! As soon as we passed the giraffe I was looking at the photos in my camera hoping I didn't screw up that neat opportunity. I was glad I didn't!

Everything else after that seemed easy.

Cheetah hiding way in the back? Yeah I got that.

20200722-DSC09335-X3.jpg

20200722-DSC09338-X3.jpg

fractal

Original Poster
This guy was just standing there. Easy-peasy.

20200722-DSC09342-X3.jpg

I have never had luck with the lions on KS. Either they were a complete no-show are they were well hidden behind rocks.

Well the photo-Gods blessed me that day as Mufasa and his lionesses were out and sunning themselves in clear view of my camera.

20200722-DSC09347-X3.jpg

20200722-DSC09349-X3.jpg

20200722-DSC09363-X3.jpg

I was happy!

20200722-DSC09371-X3.jpg

After the safari everyone went on "potty" break while I took photos of some Disney details.

20200722-DSC09381-X3.jpg

20200722-DSC09382-X3.jpg

20200722-DSC09383-X3.jpg

20200722-DSC09384-X3.jpg

20200722-DSC09385-X3.jpg

Oh Joe Rohde, you make my heart sing!

Now fix the Yeti!

20200722-DSC09386-X3.jpg

20200722-DSC09387-X3.jpg

20200722-DSC09392-X3.jpg

fractal

Original Poster
Wow this sounds very familiar. My wife (27) is a nurse and has the same traits as your daughter, she is a big pushover and hardly ever listens to what I say the first time but eventually she does and it works out.

Seems like that type of personality is almost a must to be a nurse!

Sorry for any overloads of "likes", we just got back from WDW yesterday so I'm catching up on stuff here today as a way to relax, even though there is stuff I should be doing! So many great pictures! Love them and your storytelling!

No problem! Looks like you and Brad had a great time - can't wait for the report!

A toilet in the FOP queue - well that’s something I didn’t know!
still following along - loving the pictures l

Thanks for sticking with me. Yeah, the toilet in the queue was a surprise but makes sense.

Still haven't gotten to your "surprise".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom