Trip Report Making Lemonade out of Lemons Fractal Family Trip Report - Completed

I think we can all agree that so far 2020 has been one big sour lemon.

For those that did not read my Pre-Trip report; my entire family (Val-wife, Alex - oldest daughter, Sterg - son, Toni - youngest daughter) has recovered from the Covid-19 virus. Myself, Val, Sterg and Toni got it in March and Alex in April while working as a nurse. Val had it worse with a fever for a couple days and flu like symptoms for about a week. The rest of us were either asymptomatic or had minor symptoms.

Add to that the mental stress of living in a society dealing with this pandemic, Toni missing out on a big chunk of her High School Senior Year and her last dance recital (where she was going to take on a major role as Jasmine), work reductions for Sterg and high stress work conditions for Alex on the front line. Yes, 2020 has sure been one big sourpuss.

But, as the saying goes; "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade!"

It just so happened that last year I made a reservation to attend the annual AHEPA convention in Walt Disney World, just as I did in 2017. We were going to stay at the Grand Destino Towers but that seemed very much in jeopardy when AHEPA (which is a charitable organization I'm involved with. Like a Greek version of the Knights of Columbus or Lions Club.) cancelled their convention. Soon after however, I received an email that Disney would honor our reservation in July. This was pretty tempting since we had convention rates and discounts on tickets. Long story short, we decided to go. We felt that having already had the virus gave us an extra level of protection and we knew that Disney would handle the health risks properly. In addition, we later found out that our rooms were moved from Grand Destino to the Contemporary in order to accommodate the LA Lakers and Milwaukee Bucks. Sterg's and my dream of playing Marco Polo with the Greek Freak and LeBron James in the pool were quickly dashed. But who could say no to staying at The Contemporary for $175 a night?

We were a go! It was frustrating however because although we had a resort reservation we did not have park tickets. We also didn't have a "park pass" which was needed during this reopening of WDW. We had to wait for all that to open and I had serious doubts it would by the time our first day at the resort (July 20th) rolled around. I decided to book flights without tickets or park passes. Southwest had roundtrip flights from Philly to Orlando for $90 plus if you had to cancel you got that credit for a future flight. No brainer. This was turning out to be the cheapest Disney trip we have taken as a family! Soon after I was open to buy tickets and book Park Passes. We had started to squeeze that lemon and add it's juice to our pitcher of cold water.

Now for the Cast of our adventure.

Myself - Chris/Fractal. A lover of Disney Parks for the many memories it has given me over the years with my family, the way it helps me completely unwind from my job, and how it taps into my creative side and challenges my skills as a photographer.

Here I am with my crazy kids at Christmas.

MVIMG_20191224_220836-XL.jpg

Val - my beautiful wife. Not the biggest fan of Disney but in the end she was on board. I think secretly she likes it more than she lets on. I will make it up to her with a trip more to her liking.

Here she is with Alex.

00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20180816202048133_COVER-XL.jpg

Alex - our oldest. Now a traveling nurse. Alex is like me in many ways but as she's getting older and more responsible I'm starting to see her take on a number of Val's traits. She's a good mix and always a delight to be with.

From a trip to Colorado we took last year;

DSC00630-XL.jpg

Sterg, aka Fractal Jr. One word to describe Sterg - catalyst - he just makes things happen. He creates reactions both good and bad. He graduated last year from Penn State. He was a captain on the Swim Team but not without drama. He had to miss his promising senior year of swimming when a series of concussions (all outside the water) forced him to medically retire. PSU handled it very well as he helped the team from the sidelines. He now works as a digital marketing consultant as well as helping his cousin get his music career off the ground. Never a dull moment when Sterg is around!

with our dog Prince (Charming).

20200706-DSC06336-X2.jpg

Toni - For long time readers of my reports you know that Toni and I have a special Disney connection. Many times she would be the only one up early with me to tackle the parks at opening. We have had many great adventures together in the Disney bubble. She's now technically an adult (how did that happen?) so I was going to find out this trip if the magic was still there. She's going to attend Clemson University starting next month and I couldn't be prouder.

Toni in front of the Theater her Recital was supposed to perform at.

20200616-DSC05993-X3.jpg

So Covid-19 made our family suffer in many ways, but we took that lemon, squeezed it's juice out into our water pitcher, now we just needed a little Disney sugar to make our Lemonade complete.

Coming up - Our trip begins with a WDW meet-up before our flight even leaves the ground!

Rista1313

Amazingly, the Uber driver covering Walt Disney World didn't really know how to go from the Poly to the Contemporary - even with GPS. We spent almost a half hour in his car changing directions and doing Uturns. OK then.
I think we could have walked back quicker.

We had that happen quite a few times last trip... it was annoying... you would think if someone was going to uber DisneyWorld, they would be familiar.

LisaBelle

No more updates today. Val and I are enjoying a beautiful, breezy day at Rehoboth Beach! View attachment 490952
I am so jealous! My family LOVES Rehoboth Beach. We spent a few hours there in July when we were visiting family. We only had enough time to peek in a few shops and eat dinner. Always a fun and relaxing time there! Did you enjoy any Thrasher’s fries or Dolle’s caramel corn while you were there?

fractal

Original Poster
My favorite thing about the fish eye lens is that it gets so much in the frame! Not sure about the rounded edges, but I love all the stuff in the photo. The old lobby was also my favorite but I love the pics of this one. Nice to see the smiling faces!

I agree regarding the fisheye and the Poly lobby (old and new). Thanks!
Love seeing your family back! Also.. I've taken up watching TikToks during the pandemic and while I've never made one myself, I HAVE seen Sterg on my For You Page! Semi-famous indeed!!

Thanks @akneeconnors ! He's been working hard at it!

Haha it happened to me yesterday!:joyfull:

Oh boy!

You're right, "Eyeball Sushi" looks weird, at least it was tasty! 👀😄

I completely agree with ordering dishes that represent the restaurant best, like you said: steak at a steakhouse and so on. I've literally paid the price when trying new dishes and "expand" my tastes. I've gotten lucky a few times, but mostly, end up regretting my adventurous choices.

I see bread rolls in the background of your Old Fashion picture, were they good? :hungry:

We love visiting the Poly, there's something about that resort that makes us feel happy and relaxed. The family photo might be blurry, but anyone can see you all had a good time.

It's just a good general rule to follow (restaurants). Yes, the bread was warm and tasty!

Thanks @Nunu!

That empty ‘Ohana shot is heartbreaking! 😑

I know. 😢

Enjoy your day!

Thanks @mrek! We had a great time! No beach today however due to rain but still a fun weekend!

)
So jealous of you on the beach right now our beaches (Bahamas) are closed 😞 not complaining just sad

Sorry to hear that-Hopefully they open soon!

Hope you both have a great day!

Yes we did! I maybe even had a few drinks. 🙂
Jealous!! Have a wonderful time. :)

Thanks @DisneyGigi and we did!

Nice beach photo. The husband and I are desperately waiting for the pandemic to be over so we can plan a nice getaway.

Hopefully that's very soon!

We had that happen quite a few times last trip... it was annoying... you would think if someone was going to uber DisneyWorld, they would be familiar.

It just seemed automatic that you would know your way between those hotels.

🤔
for you page, old man

Ha!

Hey now.... give him some slack.. back in our day FYP meant For Your Pleasure.

Lol! 😄
I am so jealous! My family LOVES Rehoboth Beach. We spent a few hours there in July when we were visiting family. We only had enough time to peek in a few shops and eat dinner. Always a fun and relaxing time there! Did you enjoy any Thrasher’s fries or Dolle’s caramel corn while you were there?

Didn't have any Thrasher's fries but they are good! No caramel corn either. One day we grabbed some tasty sandwiches at a Fish & Chips place (Go Fish). I spent my time waiting for the order in an efficient manner by enjoying one of these...

IMG_20200814_150639-X2.jpg

and the next day we ate at a new Tiki Bar spot on the boardwalk. Both were very good.

fractal

Original Poster
Alright, huddle up for a team meeting, but first a selfie...

MVIMG_20200722_092502~2-X2.jpg

It was too early for this,

20200722-DSC08869-X3.jpg

So we decided to explore the Na'vi River. Actually Toni started to complain that it was "boring" but we soon got her in line.

Making our way there;

20200722-DSC08872-X3.jpg

Still couldn't put my finger on what looking different in Pandora.

20200722-DSC08873-X3.jpg

I was able to procure an adequate boat for our voyage and we cast off.

It wasn't long before we were greeted by a Na'vi warrior. Luckily he was friendly.

20200722-DSC08882-X3.jpg

Many strange and beautiful flora.

20200722-DSC08884-X3.jpg

and animals...

20200722-DSC08886-X3.jpg

We spotted other travelers who also proved to be friendly or at least not dangerous.

20200722-DSC08888-X3.jpg

"Hi frogs on leaves above us.."

20200722-DSC08893-X3.jpg

20200722-DSC08892-X3.jpg

20200722-DSC08900-X3.jpg

I see you...

Out there, past the trees...

20200722-DSC08905-X3.jpg

Last edited:

fractal

Original Poster
Near the end of our excursion we meet up with the Shaman of Songs. She welcomed us with open arms as we were immersed in her beautiful and somewhat haunting melody.

20200722-DSC08912-X3.jpg

20200722-DSC08913-X3.jpg

20200722-DSC08914-X3.jpg

20200722-DSC08915-X3.jpg

Some artifacts before we docked.

20200722-DSC08918-X3.jpg

20200722-DSC08921-X3.jpg

I must say, this was the most enjoyable Na'vi River Journey I took. Toni really loved it and was glad we went on; same with Sterg. No big thrills but plenty of alluring things to stimulate the senses.

Flip flops back on the ground in Pandora.

I found this delightful group of waterfalls.

20200722-DSC08928-X3.jpg

Hmmm, I began to ponder, I wonder if I can slow down my shutter slow enough to turn the falling water into silky streams of white. The cloudy day would certainly help as I was without an ND filter.

I dropped my ISO down to 50, my aperture down to f/16 and a 1/4 second shutter. Now I needed some stability. No convenient trashcans that allowed me to frame this so I wedged my camera between two "barrier" rocks that served as a sort of fencing. Also used a 5 second delay on the shutter to prevent any unwanted shaking. Oh yeah, the memory of those darned Pirates stealing my lens during my last trip was still fresh so I kept my camera strap on.

All that plus a little post editing in Lightroom produced this;

20200722-DSC08929-3-X3.jpg

and now that I had the settings all dialed into the camera I tried a few other shots;

20200722-DSC08933-X3.jpg

20200722-DSC08940-X3.jpg

I was pretty happy with the results. For their part, Sterg and Toni were very patient with me. They would go off somewhere then come back and check on me then repeat until I was finished without any nagging. Maybe they're maturing after all?

But we still need our potty breaks.

20200722-DSC08941-X3.jpg

You guys ready to leave this planet?

20200722-DSC08947-X3.jpg

Yep! Peace out Pandora but we'll be back!

20200722-DSC08953-X3.jpg

Before long we were here on our way to Asia...

20200722-DSC08954-X3.jpg

Most of the kiosks in the parks were closed. Another negative of this trip. The vacant pathways however were certainly a positive.

20200722-DSC08957-X3.jpg

and we got another boat!

20200722-DSC08960-X3.jpg

One of our favorite drink places was also closed.

20200722-DSC08962-X3.jpg
20200722-DSC08963-X3.jpg

Our next adventure included a search for a big hairy beast in the mountains.

We started to find clues...

20200722-DSC08964-X3.jpg

That led us straight to her!

20200722-DSC08965-X3.jpg

UP NEXT; a quick photo shoot, a real bummer, fun times in queue and a black and white study.

Last edited:

Billy6

Didn't have any Thrasher's fries but they are good! No caramel corn either. One day we grabbed some tasty sandwiches at a Fish & Chips place (Go Fish). I spent my time waiting for the order in an efficient manner by enjoying one of these...

IMG_20200814_150639-X2.jpg

and the next day we ate at a new Tiki Bar spot on the boardwalk. Both were very good.
This is great grogg! I was just recommending it to a neighbor that hated Guinness and would like this, as I do...

Great stuff as always sir!!

ευχαριστώ!

fractal

Original Poster
You're a photo genius! I'm taking notes.

Now go find some waterfalls!

This is great grogg! I was just recommending it to a neighbor that hated Guinness and would like this, as I do...

Great stuff as always sir!!

ευχαριστώ!

Παρακαλώ

And

ευχαριστώ for following along!

The only bad thing about Boddingtons is how smooth it is. Goes down way too easy!

Are you Greek @Billy6 ?

I love Rehoboth Beach! I used to spend 2 weeks there every summer when I was a kid. Enjoy!!! :)

Thanks, We did! Just a little weekend trip.

Last edited:

newhorizons1

Following along and slowly getting caught up! I’m a lot like Val in some ways that I am a very pragmatic and practical person but not when it comes to Disney. It is my escape and the older I get the more I appreciate that!

I’m checking in to the Contemporary in 39 days! We were originally booked at Gran Destino, too, but I’m happy to be back at the Contemporary!

Absolutely nothing tests the bonds of a family quite like that first ride on Smuggler’s Run together.

Wonderful and beautiful photos, as always!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom