Major reorganization of the manager structure at the parks coming soon

hpyhnt 1000

Winds of change certainly seem to be sweeping through the halls of Disney at every level. Hopefully for the better.

Are we talking just personnel and title changes or more structural issues like who gets final say over projects/budgets/operations, etc.?

WDW1974

Heard rumours of this, even across the ocean, but I do wonder if this will actually mean anything for CMs and/or Guests ... or if it is simply another rearranging of furniture mixed with George Kalogridis needing to do something to show he's still there.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Can someone explain why this would be considered a good idea? Doesn't make much sense to me.
I'm sure I could come up with some reasons, they might even sound like they make sense. I can't guarantee that they have anything to do with reality though.
For example, it would allow for a manager to focus on continuity, a focused guest experience, for one small(er) area. Instead of being in charge of merch across the entire park, you as a manager get to have control over your merch, the people who sell this merch, the people who stock it, etc. if something isn't working efficiently, your stock folks are not keeping up with your excellent sales force, you can handle it without going through 2 layers of management. Your "land" is your own little fiefdom all within your control.

Of course, there are always a million counter points to every point, and I could poke holes in this one above (a jack of all trades, master of none, etc), but it could be that they are looking to centralize control around a guest experience that is aligned by area instead of skill set.

<shrug>

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I'm sure I could come up with some reasons, they might even sound like they make sense. I can't guarantee that they have anything to do with reality though.
For example, it would allow for a manager to focus on continuity, a focused guest experience, for one small(er) area. Instead of being in charge of merch across the entire park, you as a manager get to have control over your merch, the people who sell this merch, the people who stock it, etc. if something isn't working efficiently, your stock folks are not keeping up with your excellent sales force, you can handle it without going through 2 layers of management. Your "land" is your own little fiefdom all within your control.

Of course, there are always a million counter points to every point, and I could poke holes in this one above (a jack of all trades, master of none, etc), but it could be that they are looking to centralize control around a guest experience that is aligned by area instead of skill set.

<shrug>
There is also the possibility that this will allow for more varied merchandise in each area as opposed to the same merchandise throughout the parks....One can hope anyway.

DisDan

This is a preemptive move to prepare for the restructuring of management across all parks in WDW. As the parks all start to go more Land-centric. Interesting

Disone

<shrug>
Its too soon to tell. But it not limited to line of business. From whats been said so far, instead of having control of all the merch, in the park, a GM would have control of everything within a part of the park, so like all the Merch, F&B, Entertainment, Attractions and Custodial of Main Street USA. Between that GM and the front line cast, there is suppose to be no more then two layers of management. What all that looks like is beyond me right now, and what it means only time will tell.

lazyboy97o

Possibly, but I could also see how having unique merchandise could drive sales in one area over another.
True, but it would require the big push for a land to get such merchandise, then have that merchandise really succeed and be protected by its manager (merchandise unrelated to a land wouldn't be new ground). The differences in merchandise died because every story had to out do the others so they all stocked up on the best-selling merchandise.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
True, but it would require the big push for a land to get such merchandise, then have that merchandise really succeed and be protected by its manager (merchandise unrelated to a land wouldn't be new ground). The differences in merchandise died because every story had to out do the others so they all stocked up on the best-selling merchandise.
I know you are right, but I can still hold out hope.

MarkTwain

Not so long as the new divisions remain in competition with one another. Then the incentive to be more generic could only increase.

The potential here for more competitiveness between divisions is interesting and concerning.... A lower-level manager might now have the power, for instance, to shut down a small attraction or food location to open up another merchandise location. This would have been difficult before without stepping on a F&B or ops manager's toes. That concerns me.

Although the "thematic cohesiveness" theory sounds nice, I really doubt this was the reason they did this, so I can't imagine this will do much visibly for guest experience. I imagine the main benefit will simply be reducing costs and creating a more streamlined operation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom