Major Props to Wilderness Lodge

erstwo

Original Poster
I have debated for a long while whether or not to post this, but given how negative some can be about WDW, their perceived loss of magic at WDW, and their perceived lack of caring of upper management, I really wanted to share this story.

Plus, I think credit should be given where credit is due! :) (And I figured those who love the WL would love to hear this:D)

It's a long intro, but bear with me. Some of you may have read my October trip report. It was during that trip that I learned that a sweet friend's son- Carter, age 2- had been diagnosed with an inoperable, agressive brain tumor.

Carter's mom, Sarah, had already planned their family's first ever WDW vacation for November of 2011, but of course that trip had to be canceled/ postponed due to Carter's diagnosis.

Since October, Carter has been under the care of the very best doctors at St. Jude in Memphis. After 2 rounds of chemo, it was discovered that the chemo administered at St. Judes had not been successful in treating the tumor, in fact the tumor had grown slightly. So they were sent to North Carolina to start a new round of different chemo treatments. After the third round finished 2 weeks ago, Carter was evaluated and it was deemed that his white blood cell count, etc was acceptable and finally, finally!!!!! they were on their way to Walt Disney World!!!!!! :sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:

They arrived a week ago yesterday. Carter, Sarah, her husband, her older (4 year old) son and a babysitter to help them. They pulled into the Wilderness Lodge after driving from their home in South Carolina, to be greeted like royalty.

They were not Make a Wish, but they were certainly treated as if they were! They were given a wonderful room with an amazing view, were given some sort of access/ pass thing (they were able to get VIP seating at shows and such) and were told to contact the staff at the Wilderness Lodge immediately if they had any other needs.

Monday (a week ago today) was Hollywood Studios - a fantastic day making so many wonderful memories I know will be treasured forever. Tuesday was Animal Kingdom. Sarah posted the most adorable picture of their family with the cast of Nemo the musical - they were so happy! :)

Late Tuesday night, very early Wednesday morning Carter became very sick - throwing up constantly - and Sarah became very worried. She notified the front desk and they immediately called for an ambulance. Bennett (the 'head' manager from my understanding) began to personally look after them at this point. He advised Sarah on which hospital to go to and kept in contact with her offering any help the Wilderness Lodge could give.

Unfortunately, they received the worst kind of news at the hospital. Carter's tumor had grown again and he would need to be Med Flighted to St. Jude's immediately. Transportation to and from the hospital was provided on the house for Sarah, Carter, and Carter's father and brother (the exception being the ambulance ride I would suppose?) several times.

At first Carter was to be flown out immediately on Wednesday. Due to some mix up with the insurance (isn't it always the way?) they were postponed - on very short notice until super early Thursday morning. Bennett personally checked on them, made sure they had everything they needed and opened the counter service restaurant early Thursday morning, just for Sarah, so that she could have something to eat before they got on the medical airplane.

It. was. amazing.

The Wilderness Lodge could not have been kinder to this family in their time of need. The refunded them all of their unused meal credits, were flexible on checking out - first they needed to check out immediately, then they needed an extra night and then 2 extra nights because Carter's dad and brother and the babysitter had to drive home to South Carolina before heading to Memphis.

It was complete chaos in the face of one of the most difficult things a parent can endure and the Wilderness Lodge was there for them, reassuring them they were ready to go with the flow.

I give MAJOR props to the Wilderness Lodge, Bennett and WDW.

This isn't what this post is about, but of course it goes without saying that all prayers, best wishes, and positive thoughts for Carter and his family are much appreciated! You can read more about Carter and keep up with his story on his Caring Bridge site:
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/carterbucciero1/journal
(hope it's okay that I posted that?)

Thank you Wilderness Lodge for being so kind to my sweet friend!!!!

Tom

Beta Return
THIS. This thread right here....undeniably proves how utterly unimportant all the DVC, Bob Iger, Avatar and other "gripe" threads are.

Thank you for sharing this story. Simply incredible. My best goes out to Carter and his family.

tigger1968

What a great example of service and dedication from the cast at the Wilderness Lodge. My thoughts and prayers go out to the family, and I am blown away at the steps the cast took to accomodate and assist them. A great example of true Disney service.

captainkidd

Doesn't surprise me in the least. As much as any of us complains about Disney, they still are some of the most caring people you could come across.

Such a sad story for that poor little boy and his family though.:(

bgraham34

Thanks for sharing the story. I do hope that everything will be ok for Carter and his family. And I am happy to call the Wilderness Lodge, Home.

PolynesianPrincess

This story has the waterworks flowing over here :cry: I work in a home health care agency and we see a lot of children going on Make-A-Wish trips and when they return, we hear about how wonderful Disney treated them. It just goes to show the magic is not all lost. I feel so many people are looking for the bad that they overlook the good too often.

My thoughts are with your friend and her family. Unfortunately in my line of work, I see this all too often, so I know how difficult times are right now. Prayers are going out to them. Thank you so much for sharing this.

bethram

That is just wonderful, I'm so glad WL was good to them. It makes me happy that we chose to stay there for our next trip.

My prayers go out to Carter and his family.

rsoxguy

Great story concerning the human spirit. I hope that Carter and his doctors beat the living hope out of that cancer.

SulleyanBoo

Thank you so much for sharing. So great to hear of the amazing ways they were accomidated in their time of need. Very sad story though and I wish nothing but the best for you and this family. I will say an extra prayer for them today.

Tom

Beta Return
This story has the waterworks flowing over here :cry: I work in a home health care agency and we see a lot of children going on Make-A-Wish trips and when they return, we hear about how wonderful Disney treated them. It just goes to show the magic is not all lost. I feel so many people are looking for the bad that they overlook the good too often.

My thoughts are with your friend and her family. Unfortunately in my line of work, I see this all too often, so I know how difficult times are right now. Prayers are going out to them. Thank you so much for sharing this.

Yes, it was quite an emotional story to read, especially having lost friends and family to cancer, and knowing what those special things in life really mean - moreso in the last days.

Since they weren't Make a Wish, I wonder how Disney was tipped off? Perhaps because they had to book through Special Needs?

Jimmy Thick

This is why I scoff at the people who take useless pot shots at Disney, Meg Crofton, TDO, etc...

They know nothing to what Disney is really all about.

Volunteer at your local Make a Wish foundation, see just what Disney does.

Jimmy Thick-And people wonder why I stick up for Disney all the time.

erstwo

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the kind thoughts for Carter and his family!

Other than his cute little bald head and his port, I think they knew about his cancer because they had a wonderful travel agent. I think the travel agent arranged the special passes.

derelicte - I don't know how you do it! This has been so very hard to see and I'm just a friend, who lives far away and can only offer a little bit of support. You are amazing for the work you do!

I totally agree that this just shows that the magic is still there at Disney. Bennett is STILL checking on Carter & Sarah. Now that's taking care of your guests! :)

heartodisney

Thank you very much for sharing, our prayers out to all that need them. We were blessed to stay at the WL last Nov./ Dec. and loved it...HOME..always comes back as the key word...all the staff were great! Please keep us updated.

lbrad

Thank you for sharing this story.
So nice to see kindness in action. Kudos to WL and their staff!!!
Prayers for Carter & his family!!!

devoy1701

Great Story. My thoughts are with the family having to go through this experience. I don't know how I would ever be able to handle the news of the diagnosis and living through the treatments, knowing I was pretty much helpless to help my son.

I've always had great service with the Wilderness Lodge, and the employees (and especially the managers) of the Deluxe resorts have ALWAYS seemed to go above and beyond the call of duty. So I'm not sure why there is any anti-"Doom and Gloom" commentary in here at all or how it relates to Disney at all other than it being at an on-Property hotel. I would expect this kind of service from any upscale resort or hotel and I imagine they would provide it in this type of situation. So how does this relates to people taking "cheap shots at TDO or Meg?" Pixie Dust Brigade is just as bad at making cheap shots as the Doom and Gloomers. There really is no place for it in this thread.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom