News Major Hurricane Dorian impacts to Walt Disney World 2019

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Thank you. And thank you (and others) that have helped me keep my anxiety under control for the drive down here. I very much appreciate it!

Have a great time. Hopefully the models showing the storm moving away from Florida are accurate. And it will be the typically summer rainy visit to WDW. And there will be gas for your drive home.

Last edited:

Hobnail Boot

Crap...

The Mom

Premium Member
Please note that a landfall in Florida is still not ruled out. A 1 mph difference in lateral speed can shift the track by 25 miles. Everyone from Norfolk to the Florida Keys needs to be prepared.

I'm not saying that we are out of the woods, but that those further north might want to read what Floridians have been saying about preparations.

I'm still expecting a few days stuck in the house, and potential power loss.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
What you describe can happen in a thunderstorm. I call it nil. We can agree to disagree. A day's worth of cleanup is nothing compared to what would happen if a major storm dumped 30 inches of rain on Orlando. The parks wouldn't reopen for months or longer.

I'm starting to wonder if you're a 12 year old, or are just bored and trying to start trouble. Either way, you are so clueless that it's actually borderline comedy to watch you dig that great big hole with that tiny plastic shovel.

donsullivan

Premium Member
It's time to pass the hurricane preparedness torch on to The Carolinas. I remember Hugo, and the devastation it caused in Charlston - and elsewhere.

I lived in Charlotte when Hugo came screaming through there and totally tore up a city that was not built to deal with hurricanes. I got a really good picture of what a huge and dangerous storm can do to an inland city after that one.

Last edited:

VaderTron

Unless the path continues to move east, this is not that much better for Florida than a direct hit. It's somewhat good in that the eye wall (strongest winds and storm effects) would not slam into a specific area of Florida doing intense damage to that isolated spot before weakening over land. However, the line projected to run just a short way off the coast of Florida is only the eye of the storm. There could still be many miles of the hurricane impacting the coast and inland areas. The bad part will be that the eye (the part that absorbs energy from the warm ocean waters to maintain the storm's strength) looks like it will remain over the ocean. If that happens the storm will not weaken very much if at all, and could even continue to strengthen as it runs up the coast. This could mean that hundreds of miles of coast are affected by Cat 4 winds, rain and surge. Let's not get too excited in Florida yet until we see a model showing the storm many miles off the coast. Until then, stay ready please.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
I linked to one of the most respected weather forecasters in the south (criticize him all you want - easy to do as an nameless faceless person on a message board) who is now leaning towards the notion that the storm will actually miss Florida. If I didn't already have plans, I would hop a plane to Orlando tomorrow and enjoy GE. Crowds will be light and the weather will probably be gorgeous through Monday.

Then when you get there and they shut down the parks after Orlando gets a hurricane warning, don't come crying on here saying your trip was wasted because of the weather.

BoarderPhreak

Unless the path continues to move east, this is not that much better for Florida than a direct hit. It's somewhat good in that the eye wall (strongest winds and storm effects) would not slam into a specific area of Florida doing intense damage to that isolated spot before weakening over land. However, the line projected to run just a short way off the coast of Florida is only the eye of the storm. There could still be many miles of the hurricane impacting the coast and inland areas. The bad part will be that the eye (the part that absorbs energy from the warm ocean waters to maintain the storm's strength) looks like it will remain over the ocean. If that happens the storm will not weaken very much if at all, and could even continue to strengthen as it runs up the coast. This could mean that hundreds of miles of coast are affected by Cat 4 winds, rain and surge. Let's not get too excited in Florida yet until we see a model showing the storm many miles off the coast. Until then, stay ready please.
That's what I said... It's far from over.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom