News Major Hurricane Dorian impacts to Walt Disney World 2019

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Latest projected path. Looks like storm is projected to curve more towards South Florida.

Screenshot_20190828-204955.png

WDWTank

NWS and NOAA models have this making a beeline for Central Florida this weekend. (There's nothing big happening at WDW this weekend is there?) Several computer models including the Euro and GFS show this developing into a major hurricane before reaching the Space Coast. Map is updated at 5 and 11AM/PM
085210_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

For Reference Disney Resorts Hurricane Policy.

For Reference DVC’s Hurricane Policy.
Looks like Uncle Walt is not happy about the possible future of the parks.

LAKid53

Premium Member
So, here’s my current predicament:
We’re supposed to fly back Monday at 5, we could try to fly back Sunday, but the winds are supposed to be here already so that could get cancelled. We’re already down here (my gf arrived Sunday and I flew down today), so we can’t just opt to not go. Any advice? We’re supposed to be at Cabana Bay Friday-Monday if that makes any difference.

Based on the 8PM update I just posted, you won't be flying out Monday.

LukeS7

Based on the 8PM update I just posted, you won't be flying out Monday.
Yea, I’m just wondering what the best course of action is :/ Right now it looks like that might be riding it out until Tuesday night or Wednesday, but as others have mentioned, the delays will probably impact that

Regarding the airports. Keep in mind cancellations will begin far before the Hurricane and last well beyond landfall especially if there is damage to the airport. The airport is more than planes as you need the staff to run the airport and all can change quickly if a mandatory evacuation is ordered. After Harvey, IAH was shut down to the public for weeks due to the fact there was not enough staff to fully operate the airport on top of other issues. If you want to leave, best shot is to be out Saturday or latest Sunday morning. That’s assuming your airline has not already repositioned aircraft. This Hurricane has nothing to stop it and from an Orlando perspective you hope this thing goes a little further North.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Yea, I’m just wondering what the best course of action is :/ Right now it looks like that might be riding it out until Tuesday night or Wednesday, but as others have mentioned, the delays will probably impact that

If you can, I'd shoot for Wednesday. Airport may not reopen on Tuesday. Airlines will have to fly planes and crew in. Roads may be inaccessible.

More importantly, extend your stay at Universal. The last thing you want is no place to stay as the storm hits town.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
If you can, I'd shoot for Wednesday. Airport may not reopen on Tuesday. Airlines will have to fly planes and crew in. Roads may be inaccessible.

More importantly, extend your stay at Universal. The last thing you want is no place to stay as the storm hits town.
Wait, what? I thought you were taking us in. 😘

GVegas

So we are leaving South Carolina on Saturday morning And driving down to stay for a week. I am 50/50 on whether we should reschedule or not. My concern is traffic and the lack of gas. Thoughts?

LAKid53

Premium Member
So we are leaving South Carolina on Saturday morning And driving down to stay for a week. I am 50/50 on whether we should reschedule or not. My concern is traffic and the lack of gas. Thoughts?

At some point, major roads in Florida will become one way to facilitate evacuation. The executive order the Governor signed allows for this. I'd map out alternate routes.

Crazydisneyfanluke

You won't run into traffic as everyone will be heading the other way. Gas will be a problem as they usually stop delivering gas 24-36hrs before landfall. Supplies will be an issue then as well. I would stay put and postpone.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom