News Major Hurricane Dorian impacts to Walt Disney World 2019

WDW862

To be fair: the storms that are truly dangerous to central Florida tend to be the storms that take a turn and go there in the last minute...particularly from the gulf side. So that could be the X factor here.

Yep. Irma wasn't supposed to be a big deal for Polk. Hours later the eyewall came right over us. A piece of my window frame is missing so i was stuck holding the window. It was an interesting experience

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yep. Irma wasn't supposed to be a big deal for Polk. Hours later the eyewall came right over us. A piece of my window frame is missing so i was stuck holding the window. It was an interesting experience
A couple of the 04-05 ones did something like that. I remember Ivan?

Did a fair amount of damage in orange and Osceola

ryguy

Does anyone about the pet policy for a hurricane? I feel like the past few hurricanes there were a lot pets at the hotels. I am assuming there must be some law requiring people who evacuate can bring their pets.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Does anyone about the pet policy for a hurricane? I feel like the past few hurricanes there were a lot pets at the hotels. I am assuming there must be some law requiring people who evacuate can bring their pets.

There is. Shelters have to allow pets. But Disney isn't a shelter. I'd check their policy on which pets will be allowed.

JohnD

I'm set to arrive on Saturday monring around 10:30 hopefully the projections hold up.

I think you’ll be fine flying in Sat. morning. But the track is currently landfall around Cape Canaveral. And direct west-northwest through the state. So plan on holding up in your room for a bit until it blows through.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Yikes. We fly in Monday- supposed to arrive in Orlando at 1:30 from Detroit. I'm going to mentally plan on our flight being delayed or cancelled..
We’re in the same boat, a few hours later, flying from Buffalo.

We are talking about driving.

elliotjoubert

I think you’ll be fine flying in Sat. morning. But the track is currently landfall around Cape Canaveral. And direct west-northwest through the state. So plan on holding up in your room for a bit until it blows through.
My biggest concern is just getting there because I am staying a whole week so we have a day to bunker down. I'm actually optimistic that it will go well.

Steph15251

There is. Shelters have to allow pets. But Disney isn't a shelter. I'd check their policy on which pets will be allowed.
I think Disney allowed pets in 2017 ,also fort wilderness because of wind and possible flooding may have to be evacuated if the hurricane hits and many guest take their dogs there.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I think Disney allowed pets in 2017 ,also fort wilderness because of wind and possible flooding may have to be evacuated if the hurricane hits and many guest take their dogs there.

Yes, they allow dogs. But I'd check about other pets, like cats.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Yea we're talking about that. Or possible trying to move our flight up to Saturday so at least we're in Orlando and can at least hunker down if needed instead of worrying about getting there at all..
We can’t move our flights due to work commitments, so that’s not an option.
Driving isn’t ideal, but we’ve done it numerous times (crossing at the Ambassador Bridge coincidentally).

It will save $ on the rental car. If flights are cancelled, we’ll only be out the return flight. Bonus - we won’t have to worry about our droids getting squashed in the overhead bin, and we can bring home as many Coke grenades as we want.

If we can travel safely, we will. I have no intention of putting myself in peril for a vacation.

kong1802

People are getting prepared here in north FL. This is the bread aisle at our Publix taken about an hour ago...

4C1BE7AC-B3FB-4C0E-9FFF-20C98F1C74BA.jpeg

I guess not even the threat of a Cat 3 is enough to make people pull the trigger on the “artisan” breads... lol

fbp

What would happen if I am scheduled to depart my WDW hotel on Sunday evening to head to MCO for my Sunday flight home, but the resort is 'closed' and the airport is closed? Would I be scrambling for accommodations and transportation to them in the middle of a hurricane, or would Disney work with me to find a room on property?

LAKid53

Premium Member
What would happen if I am scheduled to depart my WDW hotel on Sunday evening to head to MCO for my Sunday flight home, but the resort is 'closed' and the airport is closed? Would I be scrambling for accommodations and transportation to them in the middle of a hurricane, or would Disney work with me to find a room on property?

I think if you visited the front desk on Friday or Saturday, they'd try to accommodate you.

worldfanatic

Late summer (Hurricane Season) has always been my go-to time for visiting Walt Disney World. In fact this is the 1st time in several years we don't have a late August/September trip planned.
I definitely remember my apprehension as Andrew way back in '92, and more recently Irma made their approaches to Florida around the time we were scheduled to arrive. Things worked out on those trips, and in an odd way I appreciated those vacations even more because they had been in jeopardy of not happening.
Obviously, what really matters is the safety of everybody in the potential path of Hurricanes. Nobody denies that.
But this is a Walt Disney World Website, and vacations (especially WDW ones) are an important part of our lives.
You can be caring about the safety for everybody in a storm's path, and still be concerned for your own trip. It's not selfish.

I hope everyone who's at the 'World', or will be there, has as little disruption as possible and can still make great, long lasting memories.
I'll be following this thread religiously over the next several days. Hoping it works out well for everybody.

LukeS7

So, here’s my current predicament:
We’re supposed to fly back Monday at 5, we could try to fly back Sunday, but the winds are supposed to be here already so that could get cancelled. We’re already down here (my gf arrived Sunday and I flew down today), so we can’t just opt to not go. Any advice? We’re supposed to be at Cabana Bay Friday-Monday if that makes any difference.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom