Major Grand Floridian Refurbishment

James Alucobond

Plus they should probably pick one theme for Grand Flo.

I don't know how it can be themed to Mary Poppins, Alice in Wonderland, Beauty and the Beast, the islands and a 1930's boardwalk. Which have nothing to do with Florida.
It seems to be going mostly in the direction of Poppins with some Beauty and the Beast aberrations. Not terribly different from the Moana-heavy Polynesian with Lilo & Stitch here and there.

correcaminos

The DVC rooms are considered different entities. That is why you have Moana rooms for Polynesian resort and Lilo and Stitch for DVC rooms. I would actually expect the same for GF and VGF.

TrojanUSC

The DVC rooms are considered different entities. That is why you have Moana rooms for Polynesian resort and Lilo and Stitch for DVC rooms. I would actually expect the same for GF and VGF.

Everything I’ve heard is that the DVC rooms they just rolled out will be carried over to the hotel side also. I personally think they are the best rooms they’ve designed in a long while. Classy, modern and a hint of IP without being overbearing.

correcaminos

Everything I’ve heard is that the DVC rooms they just rolled out will be carried over to the hotel side also. I personally think they are the best rooms they’ve designed in a long while. Classy, modern and a hint of IP without being overbearing.
That's the thing though. I have only heard assumptions here that they will be the same. I would expect differences in the resort room until Disney says otherwise. But that's how DVC is. Again they did the Polynesian rooms similar vibes but yet different IPs. I just would not expect the rooms you see to be same as BPK DVC rooms is all. They could go super cheap and break usual trends too but I wouldn't assume that until I see it confirmed by Disney or someone who saw a refurbed room in person.

To answer myself: The videos above only differ in a 23min DVC Q&A. I decided to look myself and had them running simultaneously and about 10:40 they add the DVC Q&A in. The rest are all about the history of GF and specifically the DVC rooms.

Last edited:

No Name

The lobby is looking a little old and crusty in ways that aren’t part of the theming. Dirtied, cracking, and blotchy paint around baseboards and railings, old worn carpet on the stairs… it looks very much like makeup on a 50 year old building and an actual quality interior refurb is much much needed.

griffin ferrari

The lobby is looking a little old and crusty in ways that aren’t part of the theming. Dirtied, cracking, and blotchy paint around baseboards and railings, old worn carpet on the stairs… it looks very much like makeup on a 50 year old building and an actual quality interior refurb is much much needed.
Actually the Grand was Build in 88'.

UNCgolf

I think almost everyone agrees with this -- paint, new carpet, etc. are all needed. There's just a fear of what they'll actually do with an interior refurb considering their recent track record is not very good, especially when it comes to resorts.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I think almost everyone agrees with this -- paint, new carpet, etc. are all needed. There's just a fear of what they'll actually do with an interior refurb considering their recent track record is not very good, especially when it comes to resorts.

Agreed. For the fear, see: Key West, Old. The redo of the lobby there was atrocious.

DC0703

Agreed. For the fear, see: Key West, Old. The redo of the lobby there was atrocious.
I had to look this up to see what they did. Someone on the Disney design team clearly has a thing for teal. That seems to be the main color component in most of their refurbs as of late. Everything is light blue, while they seem to be nixing all warmer, richer colors and wood tones.

Probably an unpopular opinion but The Grand Floridian is one hotel where that may work. I like the DVC room concept art and what they did with Citrico's. Victorian decor can be a mixed bag - some love the vintage elegance, others think it looks like a stuffy grandma living room. Those new rooms imply they are trying to thread the needle with victorian meets modern aesthetic. I like it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom