Major Grand Floridian Refurbishment

wdwfan22

I think by themselves it looks ok, I don’t love the blue theme in the overall feel of the GF.
I really like the blue over the current colors. The theme at the Grand has always been a hard sell for many. To old and stuff looking. They really have nailed the rooms and I’m hoping the lobby turns out well. I like the new Citricos look so here is hoping it’s pulled off well.

wdwfan22

I think almost everyone agrees with this -- paint, new carpet, etc. are all needed. There's just a fear of what they'll actually do with an interior refurb considering their recent track record is not very good, especially when it comes to resorts.
I think it’s just a matter of opinion. The Yacht Club, Contemporary and Old Key West Lobby’s we’re all done nicely. The resorts can’t stay the same forever. Not at the price points they want. They have to change with current design trends.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I think it’s just a matter of opinion. The Yacht Club, Contemporary and Old Key West Lobby’s we’re all done nicely. The resorts can’t stay the same forever. Not at the price points they want. They have to change with current design trends.
Agreed. I hate the OKW lobby redo, but the pictures I’ve seen suggest I wouldn’t hate the other two. Not sure when I’ll actually see those two in person, though.

Nothing says “timeless” like changing things to meet current design trends. Just pointing out the hypocritical nature of the statement $lappie made about “more timeless, more relevant, more family, more Disney”. Can’t be timeless if you keep updating to meet current trends.

wdwfan22

Agreed. I hate the OKW lobby redo, but the pictures I’ve seen suggest I wouldn’t hate the other two. Not sure when I’ll actually see those two in person, though.

Nothing says “timeless” like changing things to meet current design trends. Just pointing out the hypocritical nature of the statement $lappie made about “more timeless, more relevant, more family, more Disney”. Can’t be timeless if you keep updating to meet current trends.
All hotels/resorts update. I don’t know anyone that wants to stay in a hotel/resort that hasn’t been updated in twenty years. So yes updates to current trends need to happen.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
All hotels/resorts update. I don’t know anyone that wants to stay in a hotel/resort that hasn’t been updated in twenty years. So yes updates to current trends need to happen.
Right, I’m fine with updates, I don’t think anyone is against that. Disney should never let a lobby or whatever get so run down, that’s bad show (which they don’t apparently have much of a problem allowing these days). What I’m against is a wholesale change of, for example, the theme of a lobby due to the choices made. The original OKW lobby felt like it came right out of Old Key West. The new one feels like it came right out of a catalog.

wdwfan22

Right, I’m fine with updates, I don’t think anyone is against that. Disney should never let a lobby or whatever get so run down, that’s bad show (which they don’t apparently have much of a problem allowing these days). What I’m against is a wholesale change of, for example, the theme of a lobby due to the choices made. The original OKW lobby felt like it came right out of Old Key West. The new one feels like it came right out of a catalog.
im curious to how many feel that way though. My entire group felt that Old Key West was extremely dated the last time we stayed there. The lobby was in desperate need of a refresh. I think its a major improvement over the old.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
im curious to how many feel that way though. My entire group felt that Old Key West was extremely dated the last time we stayed there. The lobby was in desperate need of a refresh. I think its a major improvement over the old.
It definitely needed a refresh, I just don’t like what they did. The lobby lost all its charm. It’s my favorite DVC resort, so I am a bit biased. 😉

UNCgolf

The Contemporary lobby is great. The Yacht Club is fine too, but I don't think it was a significant change.

Old Key West's lobby change was a disaster; it's atrocious compared to the old lobby. I'm sure not everyone feels that way, but the complaints about it seem pretty widespread compared to some other Disney changes.

Regardless, I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing. No one is suggesting the resorts stay exactly the same, but keeping the theme is important. Otherwise there's little reason to stay there compared to other, cheaper options (or similarly priced options that are much better).

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
The Contemporary lobby is great. The Yacht Club is fine too, but I don't think it was a significant change.

Old Key West's lobby change was a disaster; it's atrocious compared to the old lobby. I'm sure not everyone feels that way, but the complaints about it seem pretty widespread compared to some other Disney changes.

Regardless, I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing. No one is suggesting the resorts stay exactly the same, but keeping the theme is important. Otherwise there's little reason to stay there compared to other, cheaper options (or similarly priced options that are much better).
I think the issue with the lobby at OKW is it went from like 80% period/20% “90s” modern to 3% period/97% modern. If they had done a 50/50 split of upgrades while leaving some period pieces I think it would have worked better. I feel like that’s also not the final flooring for the lobby. It’s the same the contemporary had after it’s refurbishment and it got ripped up last week and replaced with a better quality one, maybe supply chain problems? The OKW lobby is beautiful but is missing that Disney magic that’s hard to pinpoint.

wdwfan22

I agree keeping the theme is important, but I also feel the theme has been kept. Everyone is going to have a different take on it. In my opinion they are still maintaining the theme, they are just not going overboard with it like they have in the past. I never liked the original lobby at Old Key West. It was dark and the horrible mural on the backwall screamed early 90s. I like the updated color and more modern take on Key West.

correcaminos

I didn't have any feelings about the OKW lobby prior. As in I didn't feel a desire to hang out there. It was there and meh. Much like the old tile in the kitchen and bathrooms. Now I find it inviting and will hang out there. Same with SSR now. I agree that it'd a huge improvement over the old. OKW owner for almost 20 years now too.

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
I didn't have any feelings about the OKW lobby prior. As in I didn't feel a desire to hang out there. It was there and meh. Much like the old tile in the kitchen and bathrooms. Now I find it inviting and will hang out there. Same with SSR now. I agree that it'd a huge improvement over the old. OKW owner for almost 20 years now too.
Have to say anytime I’ve passed through lately the lobby seems to be much more utilized and enjoyed than I remember previously. I do think they need to continue down the turtle krawl area and freshen it up a bit. Would also like to see Olivia’s and the suitcase combine a bit and maybe go an open air bar/restaurant route like geyser point. The bar is under built and the restaurant, like GF cafe has not aged the best. Also for the love of god update these people’s costumes.

wdwfan22

Have to say anytime I’ve passed through lately the lobby seems to be much more utilized and enjoyed than I remember previously. I do think they need to continue down the turtle krawl area and freshen it up a bit. Would also like to see Olivia’s and the suitcase combine a bit and maybe go an open air bar/restaurant route like geyser point. The bar is under built and the restaurant, like GF cafe has not aged the best. Also for the love of god update these people’s costumes.
Agreed Olivia's and the bar need refurbed next.

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
F7883778-7554-44A9-856D-91D1521199D9.jpeg
3AF8AFE0-9E5F-40D0-8144-08528F8AC950.jpeg
4019B72B-290C-4ABD-8539-4CA8F64613C5.jpeg

Here is my “vision board” for the kinda feeling I’m hoping for at Grand Floridian Cafe. Maybe hide some hidden orange birds in the wallpaper.

As for thread drift to OKW future Olivias redo:
647FC70E-3F6F-4A81-B8B1-44C6D86ADB32.jpeg
AEE01D0A-B2E0-49F4-B139-3952F95247AC.jpeg
0EA7E9B6-7E68-42A9-B47B-CBF84FFD2E98.jpeg

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
We heard rumblings about this a few years ago. Changes to Citricos IMHO were decent. The changes to the bar area...not so decent. Losing the orchestra was awful but the new DVC rooms do seem nice.

So overall a mixed bag. However, most recent projects (RR I am looking at you) or proposed projects (Polynesian DVC) have been disappointing. I am rather concerned they will rip whatever "grandness" remains at the GF.
No ROI on orchestras. This ain't a concert hall. If they want ambiance, let them enjoy their screaming little tourist brats as background noise.

UNCgolf

I think the issue with the lobby at OKW is it went from like 80% period/20% “90s” modern to 3% period/97% modern. If they had done a 50/50 split of upgrades while leaving some period pieces I think it would have worked better. I feel like that’s also not the final flooring for the lobby. It’s the same the contemporary had after it’s refurbishment and it got ripped up last week and replaced with a better quality one, maybe supply chain problems? The OKW lobby is beautiful but is missing that Disney magic that’s hard to pinpoint.

Yeah, that's the thing. It's not that the Old Key West lobby is bad in a vacuum -- it would be perfectly fine as the lobby to a Disney Springs area hotel -- it's that it barely even hints at theme. It looks like they just went and bought a bunch of stuff at Home Goods.

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
Yeah, that's the thing. It's not that the Old Key West lobby is bad in a vacuum -- it would be perfectly fine as the lobby to a Disney Springs area hotel -- it's that it barely even hints at theme. It looks like they just went and bought a bunch of stuff at Home Goods.
I’ve been curious if it was pandemic related. Usually there’s a buying team that travels around and looks for pieces for projects like this. Maybe they were hindered? I dunno. Like I feel like they just need to switch the light fixtures and the desks to more period looking it would help. Then again I don’t know what year conch flats is supposed to be set.

5466F03A-E224-4532-AA7B-AE12C24B4D4F.jpeg
58B4744B-CD42-493C-81A9-39120EAAA284.jpeg

Even some pieces like this would help storytell that this hotel existed before 3 months ago

ETA contemporary just got new floors. Lights, and desks last week for their remodel from last year, so maybe the same will happen for OKW

Last edited:

Vegas Disney Fan

I’ve never been to OKW and all this talk got me curious so I went looking for pics, my first impression looking at pictures was the new check in area looks much nicer, then I saw the library and thought “what were they thinking?” Weird how the same remodel can make one area (check in area) look better while making another look terrible. So much teal in one room.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom