Major DTD update

jt04

Haha dang and I thought my info was fantastic and new. This looks basically like the plan about which I was told. If that is already well known in the fan community, then I guess the only news I have is that yes, it looks like it's on the way, and the dollars are being allocated.

Yes, that news has been around awhile. Even before DG posted it. But it is not very well known outside of places like this. Very much on and off again project.

WDW1974

Interesting fact on that... Disney currently pays a big chunk of change to the state of Florida to maintain I-4 due to the wear and tear caused by Disney guests. The program is called "I-4 Fair Share." I don't have any direct knowledge of how this will relate to the new construction, but the assumption that Disney doesn't help foot the bill for the roadways is incorrect.

Disney may pay (I'm fairly certain they do), but rest assured that taxpayers ALWAYS pay the greater piece of the pie.

Taxpayers used to pay ALL of the big expenditures back in the days when they felt FL couldn't exist without Mickey (I am not sure it could, to be fair!) before people started to get angry and vocal about it and Disney Dollars suddenly were used.

Tim_4

Original Poster
Disney may pay (I'm fairly certain they do), but rest assured that taxpayers ALWAYS pay the greater piece of the pie.

Taxpayers used to pay ALL of the big expenditures back in the days when they felt FL couldn't exist without Mickey (I am not sure it could, to be fair!) before people started to get angry and vocal about it and Disney Dollars suddenly were used.
Haha of course. I don't doubt that it's done for PR, but the fact is, it IS getting done. I mean, besides the money DIRECTLY paid for the roads, Disney is THE largest "taxpayer" in the area who would be footing the bill for roads anyways.

WDW1974

Is this similar to what the Disney Gossip blog posted earlier this year?

Sounds like it ... and folks here, including ex-disgruntled (does that mean he is now gruntled?) Imagineer Lee have said the same thing.

While it's great that Tim has heard it because one would assume he has heard it recently and from good sources or else he wouldn't be wanting to post it, the info itself has been going around for many months.

I recall when Merfie's pal Lee showed me some plans relating to this it was cold in SoFla, so that had to be like back in February, I'm thinking.

WDW1974

Haha dang and I thought my info was fantastic and new. This looks basically like the plan about which I was told. If that is already well known in the fan community, then I guess the only news I have is that yes, it looks like it's on the way, and the dollars are being allocated.

Are you saying this was announced internally as being funded and ON?

And if you feel uncomfortable answering, feel free to PM.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Sounds like it ... and folks here, including ex-disgruntled (does that mean he is now gruntled?) Imagineer Lee have said the same thing.

While it's great that Tim has heard it because one would assume he has heard it recently and from good sources or else he wouldn't be wanting to post it, the info itself has been going around for many months.

I recall when Merfie's pal Lee showed me some plans relating to this it was cold in SoFla, so that had to be like back in February, I'm thinking.

I'm just hoping it's not Disney messing around with the interwebs (no, really :)) yet again. Don't pay any attention to the man behind the curtain and whatnot....

menamechris

It seems the Fantasyland budget would be pretty small to try and re-imagine Pleasure Island (I am assuming that is where the focus would be). Unless they are just redecorating and repurposing everything.

I wish I still cared about the DtD situation. But the fact that no one at the top seems to recognize the initial screwup of shutting the place down doesn't make me feel good about it's future.

klstorey

Along with the parking garage and ramp expect new transit options (red trolleys would be a cheap option and a new parking figuration would allow the current route along the eastern side of the complex to be closed to vehicular traffic) connecting/better connecting this whole section of WDW, including the resorts, Typhoon Lagoon, and DTD.

Also expect a few new rides, despite it's current downtime (due to completely other reasons) has been hugely popular. Expect some more 'rides' like this (I'm hoping but highly doubting that this will include a double Ferris wheel near Cirque, which should be getting a new show about the same time as all of this is finishing up). The putt putt golf is out though.

From my understanding the parking redo will actually include both sides of the street, meaning that the TDO parking will be affected and will become, at least partially, garage itself.

All of this begs the question though; Is Disney finally attempting to copy Universal? Heck from what I've been told they've even been out to Fun Spot and Orange Ave downtown (more unofficially than officially), and oddly enough Vegas in search of what to do with DTD.

It's a bit off topic but I heard a bit of an odd rumor, that all of this ramping up and improving around property isn't just to stay relevant but is also part of a long term (read 10-20 years at minimum) of having WDW host some type of major international event (not the Olympics by any means so don't get that in your mind, but something major and international). There was even talk of actually redoing and improving EPCOT to assist in hosting this event/s. But from my understanding all of this is still just chatter and nothing even semi official yet. Just something to chew on.

WDW1974

Along with the parking garage and ramp expect new transit options (red trolleys would be a cheap option and a new parking figuration would allow the current route along the eastern side of the complex to be closed to vehicular traffic) connecting/better connecting this whole section of WDW, including the resorts, Typhoon Lagoon, and DTD.

Also expect a few new rides, despite it's current downtime (due to completely other reasons) has been hugely popular. Expect some more 'rides' like this (I'm hoping but highly doubting that this will include a double Ferris wheel near Cirque, which should be getting a new show about the same time as all of this is finishing up). The putt putt golf is out though.

From my understanding the parking redo will actually include both sides of the street, meaning that the TDO parking will be affected and will become, at least partially, garage itself.

All of this begs the question though; Is Disney finally attempting to copy Universal? Heck from what I've been told they've even been out to Fun Spot and Orange Ave downtown (more unofficially than officially), and oddly enough Vegas in search of what to do with DTD.

It's a bit off topic but I heard a bit of an odd rumor, that all of this ramping up and improving around property isn't just to stay relevant but is also part of a long term (read 10-20 years at minimum) of having WDW host some type of major international event (not the Olympics by any means so don't get that in your mind, but something major and international). There was even talk of actually redoing and improving EPCOT to assist in hosting this event/s. But from my understanding all of this is still just chatter and nothing even semi official yet. Just something to chew on.

That type of 'news' seems to come around whenever there is an Olympics or World Cup or other such major international event, it's sorta only second to high speed rail for something that is always chatted about (even by the O-Town powerbrokers over expense account lunches at some of the city's finest watering holes) but it just never leads to anything. I think you'll see the WRE open first!

Taylor

That type of 'news' seems to come around whenever there is an Olympics or World Cup or other such major international event, it's sorta only second to high speed rail for something that is always chatted about (even by the O-Town powerbrokers over expense account lunches at some of the city's finest watering holes) but it just never leads to anything. I think you'll see the WRE open first!
You never know a smaller event like the FIBA world championships could come to WDW someday it probably wouldn't push them to do much work though

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
In
It is hard to get excited when it seems projects for Downtown Disney have been a go for years now, only for each one to fizzle and die.
Interestingly though the TD parking garage and new I-4 ramps / transit options have been around since TDO went cheap with PI. The garage and slips were planned as part of the more expensive keep PI option.

jt04

In
Interestingly though the TD parking garage and new I-4 ramps / transit options have been around since TDO went cheap with PI. The garage and slips were planned as part of the more expensive keep PI option.

Seems to me that a relatively easy way to solve the need for garages and new transportation systems on property is to contract out some of the infrastructure. Companies would be stepping up to not only fund and build such systems but also provide logistical/operational support. All this for a piece of the revenue stream provided by parking fees which over the long term could be quite lucrative I think.

dcibrando

I'm starting to think the value of my DVC ownership at Saratoga Springs may go up if these big changes happen. I already enjoy being able to easily walk to DTD now...any additional changes are just icing on the cake (but yes, it does need ALOT more icing in my opinion.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Seems to me that a relatively easy way to solve the need for garages and new transportation systems on property is to contract out some of the infrastructure. Companies would be stepping up to not only fund and build such systems but also provide logistical/operational support. All this for a piece of the revenue stream provided by parking fees which over the long term could be quite lucrative I think.
And to think Disney used to own their Community Transport Division....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom