Major Disney Security Issues (long post)

dragonfox98

Goof29, Thank you so much for your concern for all of our welfare (not just the OP)! Although I stay off-property (I can rent a house cheeper than staying on property), I understand what you go through on a daily absis - I worked in the industry, too. Thanks again for being so compasionate and kind.

Also, to the OP - I'm so sorry that your vacation went so poorly, but I do hope your DD had a good time for her birthday.

Sorry that you had such a bad stay. Each resort operates independtly so that manager most likly didnt what you to leave because then they would have a empty room and during vacation times its all about numbers. But still that does not give them any reason to check someone into your room but i have a thory of how it happened. PM and i will explain.

Rob562

It's totally inexcusable to promise them to move them and then tell someone else the room is available and not move their things or at least tell them they would.

I'm sorry that the OP had such a bad experience. But I just wanted to point out that it does kinda sound like a couple of crossed connections stemming from the front desk CM who the OP first talked to about moving. The CM was *trying* to do a good thing by handling Guest Recovery and moving the OP, but perhaps didn't realize the full effect her actions would have.
As another poster said, what most likely happened was that the CM moved the OP in the computer to the new room. This secured the new room so that it would be held for them. But, it also had the effect of releasing the old room (with their belongings still in it), and it was then re-used by another front desk CM who saw it as available.

Then playing the part of the random other Guest, what would you do if you walked into a room and found someone else's stuff there? To the front desk, the room would show as being assigned to that person and not the OP, so they sent out a bell services person to get the stuff out of the room because the room "belonged" to the new Guest. (perhaps the bellman got the OP's name off the luggage tags, and they looked the name up and found where it was supposed to go). My guess is that had the OP gone up to the old room and tried his key, it wouldn't have worked. (I wonder how the other Guests felt that night, worrying whether some random person was going to walk into their room in the middle of the night)

Now let me be clear, this is the point where I allow the "innocent mistake" arguement to end. The failed Guest Recovery by the front desk and the manager is inexcusable, and I'm surprised that the OP hasn't heard from Disney. He should definitely keep on them for a resolution. But, you can at least see a glimmer of good in that it all stemmed from a simple oversight by a CM trying to do something good...

-Rob, who tries to find at least *one* bright side in everything...

Space Mountain

I would type out everything that happened and send letters to the following addresses. You will get a response, It may just take awhile. Good luck.

Walt Disney World Guest Relations
PO Box 10000
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830

Compliments, Complaints, and Suggestions
Walt Disney World Guest Communications
P.O. Box 10040
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830-0040
Email: wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com

Mr. Michael Eisner, Chairman & Chief Executive Officer
The Walt Disney Company
500 South Buena Vista Street
Burbank, CA 91521-4873

Mr. James A. Rasulo, President
Walt Disney Parks & Resorts
Burbank, CA 91521-4873

Mr. Al Weiss, President
The Walt Disney World Resort
PO Box 10040

Mr. Lee Cockerell, Executive Vice President of Walt Disney World
Operations
1375 Buena Vista Drive
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830-1000

Mr. Roy E. Disney, Vice Chairman
The Walt Disney Company
Burbank, CA 91521-4873

Rob562

I would type out everything that happened and send letters to the following addresses. You will get a response, It may just take awhile. Good luck.

Walt Disney World Guest Relations
PO Box 10000

Compliments, Complaints, and Suggestions
Walt Disney World Guest Communications
P.O. Box 10040
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830-0040
Email: wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com

Mr. Michael Eisner, Chairman & Chief Executive Officer
The Walt Disney Company
Burbank, CA 91521-4873

Ummm.... You might want to update your contact list... Eisner hasn't been CEO for a couple years... And didn't Al Weiss get some sort of promotion to oversee the American Disney parks?

-Rob

brertigger

I find this whole thing pretty scarey!
How fortunate for you though that you got your valuables back!

I think the whole "no available rooms" thing may be something they're trained to say when you ask - we got the same line when we were at POR last September and had been given the wrong type of room. We asked for a different room, and first they said there was nothing else available at POR (possible, although not really likely at that time of year), then the manager told us that there were no rooms available on all of Disney property (!!!!). That's when I started laughing. Turned out they had the wrong paperwork in front of them (we noticed it when we went to sign), and all of a sudden, they "found" a room for us like the one we had requested. No apologies given I might add....:(

At All Star Music once they gave my family the wrong type of room. The manager told us that no other rooms were available. After awhile of arguing with the manager, they somehow found the exact type of room we should have had the whole time. They did comp the night though (they had done it originally, then said they would let us keep the comp, since it took so long). It was interesting-they found a room the exact moment we started asking them about availability at each deluxe resort.

CheersBoston

As far as security goes, that's why they have a "security" lock on the door that you lock from the inside. If the room is double booked and you're in the room with the security lock on, the key card is useless. It would take hotel staff to actually open the door. Mistakes happen!!

goof29

Eisner is definitely no longer with the company (thank goodness!). Al Weiss is now the head of Disney Parks and Resorts worldwide. Meg Croftin is President of Walt Disney World Resort. Also Lee Cockrell retired several months ago. He was replaced by Erin Wallace.

SpongeScott

Scott...give the guy a break will ya. The guy tried to remain calm and handle the problem without getting upset and was getting no where. Sometimes you have to get upset and rant on people in order to get noticed and let them know you're serious.

A lot of customer service these days is placating the guest/customer so they go away...not take care of the problem.

Disney wouldn't take care of the smell...spraying isn't going to get rid of the problem if something spilled under the refrigerator and never got cleaned up or if something died under there.

It's totally inexcusable to promise them to move them and then tell someone else the room is available and not move their things or at least tell them they would.

I'm sorry the OP had a bad experience...but I have to concur that the housekeeping quality control at OKW has a lot to be desired lately. And the bell services staff has slipped to over the last few years...and it's my home resort.

The OP needs some compassion Scott not a lecture.

I wish the OP luck in getting this resolved.
Like I said, there are two sides to every story. Perhaps this is why there has been no response yet from Disney. I too hope he gets it resolved.

So, give me a break. And don't reply.

Tim G

Ummm.... You might want to update your contact list... Eisner hasn't been CEO for a couple years... And didn't Al Weiss get some sort of promotion to oversee the American Disney parks?

-Rob
And Roy disney also is off the lists... :D

I just want to say that I'm sorry you had such a hard time on your trip.. I would have been... well not very nice if I'd been forced to put up with that service.. Hopefully you get a response soon and make it more than worth your while to return.. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you..

Mr Disney

In the Parks
Yes
Just adding to what everyone else is saying... I just feel the need to apologize on behalf of Disney as well. Please keep us updated on a response (if you get one) and how it goes. I would really like to know how our company is dealing with guest recovery in different areas of the resorts and parks.

:wave:

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I would hardly call any of this a major security issue. But then i dont live in a gated community.

it is a rather tawdry customer services issue.

Disney05

I think someone deserves a night or two in the Castle! Oh, and don't bug Roy Disney. After 51 years he's getting a divorce from his wife.

davidpw97

I would hardly call any of this a major security issue. But then i dont live in a gated community.

it is a rather tawdry customer services issue.

From my experience working in hotels I would have to agree with the above statement. This isn't a major security issue but rather it is most likely a miscommunitcation between employees and could happen pretty much anywhere.
I don't want to attack the OP however I do think if it were me I would have done things differently. First off, If I walk into a room that smells like roadkill, i'm not going to bother unpacking, i'm going to march myself right back to the desk and ask for another room. And If I were going to be spending 2 weeks at WDW, I would probably be more worried about having a place to sleep at night, than whether or not I can make my dinner reservation, those can usually be changed.
I don't think the hotel should have cleared out your things but if It had been me, I don't think I would have left my things in the room to begin with if I were expecting to move to a new room.
I'm glad you recovered all your things and hopefully you were able to end your vacation on high notes rather than the crap you began your trip with.

It is things like this that make staying off property in rental houses or condos so much more appealing.

Plutoboy

Sounds like a lack of training as well as security issue more than anything. I'm a General Manager of a Hilton Resort here in Orlando and I can tell you that it is possible for multiple parties to be assigned/checked into the same room. Is it right or acceptable?? ABSOLUTELY NOT but it does unfortunately happen.

IMO what happened is that when you went to the desk to complain the cast member, with good intentions, moved you in the system to another room but did not let you know that. This freed up your original room for another party to be checked in. He/she probably thought that you had your luggage with you and that is was okay to have the room switched to VR (vacant ready).

Also in regard to the miscommunications with being moved to another resort and the confirmation numbers being invalid....I had a similar situation at Disneyland when it came to dining at Ariel's Grotto inside DCA. The reservation/ADRs had been set for months and when I called to confirm the night before my name was no where to be found and no availabilty. I asked to speak to Ed Grier--President of Disneyland, a personal friend from when he was at WDW, and the reservation was magically found....ends up they switched my first and last name...again training issues.

I too would write a letter but not to just a manager or DVC...find out the name(s) of the General Manager of each resort involved. It will be possible for one name to be running several resorts as I know is the case with Caribbean Beach and Pop Century. Do not settle for just a form letter but try and get a response from them personally.

Good luck

Plutoboy

I would hardly call any of this a major security issue.

Regardless of what others may believe it is a MAJOR security issue if keys are given to another guest for a room that may already be occupied. As absurd as it may sound people travel with guns and take those guns into their hotel room with them. I know of three instances within the past 2 months where hotels near mine have had a guest walked in on and a gun was pulled. Think of it as your home and a stranger just walks in while you are sitting there.

While it is a mistake and unintentional...it is still a security issue.

wdwishes2005

I would hardly call any of this a major security issue.

Regardless of what others may believe it is a MAJOR security issue if keys are given to another guest for a room that may already be occupied. As absurd as it may sound people travel with guns and take those guns into their hotel room with them. I know of three instances within the past 2 months where hotels near mine have had a guest walked in on and a gun was pulled. Think of it as your home and a stranger just walks in while you are sitting there.

While it is a mistake and unintentional...it is still a security issue.
Exactly. I thought about that, and it is a bad situation for both people.
Nobody checks in and expects someone to be in there room, and nobody checked in expects someone to walk into their room. throw in a weapon and you have an explosive mix.

wannabeBelle

Definitely keep me updated on this one!!!! I Agree with most of the people here in that the OP Seemed to be OK until not one thing but a bunch of things went wrong. I dont know if I could have kept my cool and I Am normally a CM's dream guest!!! This just seems like it was over the top. Belle

PhilharMagician

Original Poster
Sounds like a lack of training as well as security issue more than anything. I'm a General Manager of a Hilton Resort here in Orlando and I can tell you that it is possible for multiple parties to be assigned/checked into the same room. Is it right or acceptable?? ABSOLUTELY NOT but it does unfortunately happen.

IMO what happened is that when you went to the desk to complain the cast member, with good intentions, moved you in the system to another room but did not let you know that. This freed up your original room for another party to be checked in. He/she probably thought that you had your luggage with you and that is was okay to have the room switched to VR (vacant ready).

Also in regard to the miscommunications with being moved to another resort and the confirmation numbers being invalid....I had a similar situation at Disneyland when it came to dining at Ariel's Grotto inside DCA. The reservation/ADRs had been set for months and when I called to confirm the night before my name was no where to be found and no availabilty. I asked to speak to Ed Grier--President of Disneyland, a personal friend from when he was at WDW, and the reservation was magically found....ends up they switched my first and last name...again training issues.

I too would write a letter but not to just a manager or DVC...find out the name(s) of the General Manager of each resort involved. It will be possible for one name to be running several resorts as I know is the case with Caribbean Beach and Pop Century. Do not settle for just a form letter but try and get a response from them personally.

Good luck

I beleive you are correct about my room, but the woman I spoke to denied that she gave my room up. The manager that happened to be there surprisingly thet night I checked in and the next morning also said she was going to do an investigation and let me know exactly what happpened. I did not get a response from her. I just kept getting the feeling that they hoped I would forget and disappear, and I feel they still want that. I just need to find the right person to contact.

I just got another canned response from Guest relations. It was sent yesterday, so I would hopefully expect more on that early next week when more people are in the office.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom