Major Disney Security Issues (long post)

davidpw97

I guess you missed the point. I do not want hunny I want answers!

That room is my home when I am away and I expect my belongings to be safe and the also includes my family. The same is true with my house. If someone broke into your house and took your belongings would you be upset? Would you feel safe? I sure would be thinking a little differant and I was.

I want to know if my room was released?

If it was released I want to know how another guest can be out in without housekeeping giving the OK. Which is policy.

I want to know how bell services can move my luggage without my approval. Again against policy.

If my room was released I want to make sure that something is done in the future to pinpoint that in the training of the registration CM's so nobody else would have to deal with this.

I am a DVC member. I am a part owner. Just like a stockholder I am concerned on how the ship is run. Things like this go into operation costs, which means that I (along with all other members) will pay more in maintenance costs. The more effecient it runs the less I will pay.

Also, I did end up missing some things and had my new $800.00 camera apparently dropped or something dropped on it. My cash did not match up with the receipts, but I cannot prove any money was taken.

First of all I don't think someone opening your room with a key after you had said you didn't want to stay there, and someone breaking into your house illegally are the same thing. If you had been in the room at the time, they may even have noticed the room was occupied and not even gone in, or you would have had all locks and chains across and they couldn't have gotten in anyway, either way you and your family still would have been safe.
Also from my experience working in hotels I would say that your room would have had to have been released for someone else to be checked into it and there is almost no chance of finding out who might have released your room. In the system that I use, it will not allow you to check someone into a room that already shows up as occupied, so its pretty clear that your room had to have been released. I wonder how you know exactly what all the policies of the hotel are. At my hotel if I check someone into a room and they come back to me 5 minutes later asking for a new room I will most likely assume that the room was left clean since they weren't in it very long and I will check someone else into it without inspecting it. Also if housekeeping sprayed the room and then told the desk that the problem was taken care of even though in this case it seems like the problem wasn't taken care of, the desk can only go by the word of the housekeepers. As far as moving someone's luggage, at the hotel I work at we try not to touch a guests property but sometimes it happens. Let's say check out is at 11, at 1 a housekeeper goes into someone's room to clean it and the stuff is still in there we will move it. If a guest has not informed us that they will be using the room another night, or if they did not say they were going to be checking out late and we need that room, we will use it.
As far as the training goes, you can train someone to death and accidents are still going to happen no matter how cheap or how expensive the hotel might be.

PhilharMagician

Original Poster
First of all I don't think someone opening your room with a key after you had said you didn't want to stay there, and someone breaking into your house illegally are the same thing. If you had been in the room at the time, they may even have noticed the room was occupied and not even gone in, or you would have had all locks and chains across and they couldn't have gotten in anyway, either way you and your family still would have been safe.
Also from my experience working in hotels I would say that your room would have had to have been released for someone else to be checked into it and there is almost no chance of finding out who might have released your room. In the system that I use, it will not allow you to check someone into a room that already shows up as occupied, so its pretty clear that your room had to have been released. I wonder how you know exactly what all the policies of the hotel are. At my hotel if I check someone into a room and they come back to me 5 minutes later asking for a new room I will most likely assume that the room was left clean since they weren't in it very long and I will check someone else into it without inspecting it. Also if housekeeping sprayed the room and then told the desk that the problem was taken care of even though in this case it seems like the problem wasn't taken care of, the desk can only go by the word of the housekeepers. As far as moving someone's luggage, at the hotel I work at we try not to touch a guests property but sometimes it happens. Let's say check out is at 11, at 1 a housekeeper goes into someone's room to clean it and the stuff is still in there we will move it. If a guest has not informed us that they will be using the room another night, or if they did not say they were going to be checking out late and we need that room, we will use it.
As far as the training goes, you can train someone to death and accidents are still going to happen no matter how cheap or how expensive the hotel might be.

Yeah, I guess your right. From now on I should just expect this to be SOP. Silly me! :rolleyes:

wannabeBelle

Also, I did end up missing some things and had my new $800.00 camera apparently dropped or something dropped on it. My cash did not match up with the receipts, but I cannot prove any money was taken.

I would think this is a problem as well, no?? If someone goes into my belongings without permission I would say they have assumed the responsibility for those items regardless of if it is missing money or a broken camera.
On another note, have we gotten any response back from DVC/ Disney? Belle

Chux

I want to know how bell services can move my luggage without my approval. Again against policy.

Don't get me wrong, I'm 100% behind you in the fact that you were wronged in the situation...

But do you have a copy of their policy, so that you know that it's against it?

Policies are tricky things, often ways out of situations are buried deep in them, and worded so as to make you think they work for you.

Just a thought.

ZapperZ

As a DVC member, I am very much interested in knowing the progress and outcome of this incident. So maybe someone else isn't interested, but I certainly am. Please please keep me informed.

Zz.

PhilharMagician

Original Poster
I would think this is a problem as well, no?? If someone goes into my belongings without permission I would say they have assumed the responsibility for those items regardless of if it is missing money or a broken camera.
On another note, have we gotten any response back from DVC/ Disney? Belle

I now have my third E-mail response saying that it was turned over to DVC executive offices and I will be contacted within 14 days. No responce from guest services.

PhilharMagician

Original Poster
Don't get me wrong, I'm 100% behind you in the fact that you were wronged in the situation...

But do you have a copy of their policy, so that you know that it's against it?

Policies are tricky things, often ways out of situations are buried deep in them, and worded so as to make you think they work for you.

Just a thought.

No, I do not. I am going by what I was told. Another reason I have such a stickler to the policies is an incident that happened last year. I woke up one morning early last year with something in my eye. I tried rinsing it out with no luck. I though it was something that would work its way out. It was not the first time I have had something get in my eye, so I wasn't to bothered. We went to MK for the parade taping day to watch some of the castle show taping and my eye was getting unbearable. So I go to first aid and they look at it. well they could see something in my corneal, but could not get it out. I had to go to emergency care facility. This took me most of the day and I found out I had a piece of glass imbedded in my cornea. They removed it, out an eye patch over the eye and said we need to see you again tomorrow. Now I was checking out the next day. So I go to the front desk @ OKW (go figure) and ask to have a late check out because I have to go back to get my eye checked again @ 9:00 AM. I was told no It was policy and I signed a contact when I bought into DVC to be out of the room at 11:00 AM. I started to beg the manager to let my DW and DD in the room until I got back, but again I was told no. I was however given a card for some liability department in Disney if I wanted to file a claim. I gave the card back to him and said, do you not understand I am asking for about 1 hr and he said he could not help me. So the next morning I overslept and had to rush to get out. we packed quick and had the car out front waiting to bring me and my family back to the doctor and I called bell services and they told me they could not get the bags unless one of us were there. I told them I had to go to the doctor and we had to leave immediatly and again I was told it was policy. Well, my family waited for me for 3 1/2 hours in the lobby till I returned. Since then I have tried to follow proceedure.

ag2000

I have not really posted anything about our 2 weeks at WDW during the last 2 weeks of Nov, because we had some serious problems. I have been waiting for proper responses from DVC and WDW on correcting these issues before really talking about them, but they have still not contacted me since Dec 10th. So here we go.

The major problem was the we checked into OKW at about 9:30 AM and the room was not ready, so they give you a phone number to call later to see if your room was ready. Well I called all day and finally at 5:30 it was ready. So we were oveer by DTD and jumped in the car and go to our room. We walked in our room and it smelled like something was dead in there. I open the doors to let it air out and bring all of the bags up. Now my DD and I quickly wash up and get ready to head to a ADR at Chef Mickey's. we unpack a few things and the smell just is not clearing out. So now I call the front desk to complain and the phone does not work. Well we have about 50 minutes till dinner time so I decide that we go to the front desk to complain about the room. We get there and I complain that the room smells and that something needs to be done. I found the smell to be coming from under the refridgerator and it smelled like rotten milk. She said that she could change rooms for us. I told here that we were on our way to dinner and we had about 15 minutes to get to Chef Mickey's. We would stop back in to the front desk when we were finished with dinner. She said that would be great and she would see us then. My DD and I walk back to the room to get the car and head for dinner and a housekeeping person was speeding away from our building. I take a quick run up and found that she sprayed a horrible deaoderant spray all over tha carpets to cover the oder and now the room stunk even worse. We go to dinner and had a terrific meal and lots of fun with the characters. After dinner we drive back to OKW and I pull up to the front of thge main building. Now the Bellman comes over to me and says are you Mr. Z**** and I say yea and he tells me he has my bags. I almost hit the ground. I asked him how he got my bags and he said they were asked to get all of my belongings out of the room and bring them back to storage. Now I had stuff I drawers, money on the table along with credit card receipts, camera and video camera, my GPS and the list goes on. They packed up my stuff and brought it back. So I ask to see the manager. While waiting I am looking to osee if all of my stuff is there. We now cannot find any of the refridgerated items of the 2 cases of bottled water. The guy tells me not to worry I can fill out a slip and Disney will reimburse me. Yeah, like that is what I want, NO I just want my stuff. So the manager come into the storage area and we start talking, actually I start ranting. A few minutes later the bellman that got my stuff from the room and brought it to storage walks in and he shows me where my missing items are. So now I am a little releived until he spills the beans. Now this is where it gets good.

Apparently the front desk at OKW checked someone else into my room and the guest called bell services to have my belongings removed from there room. NOw tell me, how secure is that. I could be sleeping and someone could come in late and be checked into my room be accident? I imagine the odds are 1 in 1,000,000 but apparently it is possible. I demanded to be changed to another resort, but I was told there was no rooms. This was the Tuesday night before Thanksgiving and WDW was busy. So I called DVC and got the call center and the woman I spoke to was very helpfull. She spent about an hour trying to find a room and was able to get on at the Beach Club. This woman talked to the manager of OKW to have her hold the BCV reservation for the next day, brecause she was the only one that could. I was now told all was set and to call DVC member services by 9:30 AM to get finalize the reservation that was on hold.

After a nearly sleepless night of thought, I called DVC and the reservation on hold was not there. I was told the manager of OKW never called to put the room on hold for me. I call the front desk and ask for the manager. I am told she is busy and she will call me back. Now it is 9:25 and I am concerned about my 9:30 room off hold issue and so I call the front desk again. Now I speak to the smae person and she says the manager is still busy, but they have a better room in OKW and they are going to send a bellman to move me again. Well, I just blow up. I WANT OUT NOW. I finally get to speak with the manager and she tells me that she called BCV after we disconnect last night and BCV did not have the room they said. Now is this BS or not???? So I said I want out of here so find me a room in another resort. She said that she had been checking all morning and that there was nothing available resort wide. I hang up the phone and of course call the reservation center. I find a room at CBR. They ask me for a CC to hold the room and I refused and explained the issues. They give me a reservation number and tell me I have 2 hours to process the reservation. My DD and I jump in my rental car (which is supposed to be returned in about 15 minutes from now to the CCC) and drive to the main building. I ask to see the manager and she comes out. SHe seems a little shocked that I am standing there. I tell here that I have a room and she says that is impossible. I hand her the reservation number and she types it in and says the number is no good. I almost lost it. I grabbed my cell phone and proceeded to call the reservations line and she says hold on and find the number all of the sudden. I tell her I want to be moved and she finally aggrees.

With this story it may not be a problem for some, but I was travelling for the first week alone with my DD. My wife was not able to get out of work that week. I had just left WLV and had 2 wonderful nights. During the time at WL I had done laundry and left my 7 YO DD in the room watching cartoons while I ran up and down to the laundry room and felt secure. I now could not do that at OKW, matter of fact I am concerned when I sleep if 2 separate guest parties can have access to the same room.

If anyone knows who I can contact it would be appreciated. I have had no luck with DVC memeber services. I want to make sure this never happens again. Not just for me, but for nobody. There is some sort of a proceedure that was missed somewhere and it appears that someone wants to bury it.

Just a note, the problems did not stop where I left off. They continued for 2 more days. I almost callled the airport and got a flight home a week early, but my DD's birthday was a few days away.

what is your DD??????

BTW: I have a good friend that worked front desk manager at one of Rochesters nicest hotels(works at a different hotel now) who once told me that one of his new "idiot" employees had accidentaly did what happened to you and checked someone into a room that was already occupied. so i dont think its 1/1000000

I don't think that any of us have the right to judge the situation, since the OP was there, and we were not. We do not know the tone of voices, we did not make tons of trips back and forth to the room(s) and we did not have things touched, moved, taken, etc.

So instead of telling the OP that he shouldn't be making a big deal, or that he shouldn't have yelled, or he should have done something differently (and I know this was certainly not everyone that posted)...maybe he could get a few more responses that he actually asked for: information to contact anyone at Disney that can assist with his problem.

A little sympathy goes a long way, people. :wave:

figment1985

Attitude will also get you a long way. "Blowing up" to management will not make your case any stronger, no matter how much you think you are in the right. Don't forget that people are people--doesn't matter if they work for Disney or not. They are still going to make mistakes, they are still going to be human, they are still going to dig their heels in when you jump all over them. Working/dealing with Disney does not guarantee perfection or no slip-ups. Losing your cool rarely helps your case with anyone.

I have worked for customer service before (not at Disney) and honestly I do believe in some situations people just need to be yelled at because a lot of customer service reps are plain lazy. This is not the case for me, if you yelled at me I'd just transfer the call over and over again where I worked. But some people just need to be yelled at to get the point across.

But wow- what luck. I am so sorry. I hope you ended up having a better trip at the end of the week.

figment1985

I guess you missed the point. I do not want hunny I want answers!

That room is my home when I am away and I expect my belongings to be safe and the also includes my family. The same is true with my house. If someone broke into your house and took your belongings would you be upset? Would you feel safe? I sure would be thinking a little differant and I was.

I want to know if my room was released?

If it was released I want to know how another guest can be out in without housekeeping giving the OK. Which is policy.

If my room was released I want to make sure that something is done in the future to pinpoint that in the training of the registration CM's so nobody else would have to deal with this.

I couldn't agree with you more. I think some of these posts are from the types of people who are like "life is unfair, deal with it" :eek: I cannot stand it when people act like it's no big deal- I'd like to see how THEY would react if their trip got so screwed up in the beginning.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom