Major Disney Security Issues (long post)

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
:confused: :confused: :confused:
So it's alright for management to be @$$holes to you? I think everyone in every kind of management has very much an obligation to be nice to their customers and clients, if they want to keep them.

I think the poster meant that Management has no legal obligation to be "nice". Managers have a business incentive to do everything they can to correct any perceived problems for guest and pretend they agree, but if a customer is belligerent, arrogant or just downright rude, they don't have to be nice.

I've been in lots of situations where being calm and rational have resulted in better treatment by people who I've just watched treat another customer horribly. I invariably thought the customer in question deserved the treatment they got... Either they were complaining about something insignificant or imagined, or they were demanding an entirely unrealistic corrective measure. I actually heard one guy at All Star Music refusing an upgrade to a Moderate, saying they deserved to be in a Deluxe because their room wasn't adequately cleaned when he went in [he'd been told originally that Mousekeeping was busy, but his room would be made up within the next two hours].

A bit of a tangent, but I was pulled over for speeding and handed the officer my license and registration and advised him that I had indeed been speeding and he had caught me fair and square. When he came back with my ticket, he'd reduced my speed to the minimum they were puling cars over for and wrote in the margin what my fine would have been and how many points I would have lost for the speed he'd actually clocked me at. He said "Since you were polite and cooperative"... I asked him and just that morning he had been spat on, yelled at for making people late for work, asked for his badge number so they could complain and asked to bring his supervisor to the scene "immediately" [and they thought they were late before! :lol:]. He said anybody who was nice was such a breath of fresh air he happily gave them a break! I thanked him and drove off to work. :D

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Regardless of how many heads are in beds anytime a guest walks into a already occupied room, whether or not a gun is present or not, it is a major guest issue as well as a major security issue. For any manager to treat it otherwise is unacceptable.

How would you feel if it happened to you????

It has and I went oops.

and perhaps 23 years of military service have lead me to believe this is not a major security issue.

Molehills and mountains spring to mind.

Shaman

So hold on...I leave me room one night for dinner, comeback to find out someone else has moved in and all my stuff was removed...

And I should not be furious? :veryconfu

I think the OP was way nice...he seems to have given Disney many opportunities to make the situation right. I don't think the OP was unreasonable, of course I wasn't there in person (and like Scott said there are two sides to every story)...but judging by the OP's story Disney really screwed up many times....

We're not talking about a problematic customer demanding unreasonable things....all Disney had to do is go to the room, find the source of the odor and remove it.

The only thing I would have done differently is skip dinner that first night and would have waited for the room issue to be resolved.

I loved my stay at OKW...and most of my experiences with CMs have been real positive. I'm sure this is not the norm...but I've dealt with various room key issues at Disney, as well as not so bright (or over-worked) front desk personnel which look at you like you're crazy when you have some kind of problem.

MainSt1993

I asked him and just that morning he had been spat on, yelled at for making people late for work, asked for his badge number so they could complain and asked to bring his supervisor to the scene "immediately" [and they thought they were late before! :lol:]. He said anybody who was nice was such a breath of fresh air he happily gave them a break! I thanked him and drove off to work. :D

:lol: Sounds like working Guest Control!

I think the morale of our collective story is that yes, you're paying Disney the company to entertain you on vacation, and you have every right to expect them to live up to their reputation. But you're interacting with people, who are having all the same emotions you are. When you're feeling cranky, hot, tired, and overwhelmed by the crowds of people, chances are so is the CM. A little understanding goes a long way.

lewisc

The OP didn't like the smell in the room. The front desk said they would find them another room. The resort had the right to find a guest that would put up with the "smelly" room. Once the guest said the room was unacceptable he should have gotten his stuff out of the room. The front desk was wrong in assuming the guest got his stuff out of the room but during a sold out time you can't expect to occupy two rooms.

The front desk should have asked if the OP needed assitance getting their stuff out of the room and the OP should have asked if it was OK to leave his stuff in the room until his new room was ready.

The OP was concerned someone could have entered the room when they were asleep. The deadbolt and chain take care of that.

MainSt1993

I think the OP was way nice...he seems to have given Disney many opportunities to make the situation right. I don't think the OP was unreasonable, of course I wasn't there in person (and like Scott said there are two sides to every story)...but judging by the OP's story Disney really screwed up many times....

I dunno, as soon as someone starts yelling at me I go on the defense, and the OP said he did yell multiple times and at multiple people. To look at the situation from a different perspective, he was demanding a room at a different resort that was already at or beyond capacity. It's sort of like having a problem at Space Mountain and going to the Jungle Cruise to complain about it. So in accomodating the demand of this guest, another unrelated guest is now going to have a problem that they otherwise wouldn't have had. His demand was for a manager from somewhere else who didn't have a dog in this fight to mess up someone else's vacation. :veryconfu

The room key thing was a bad mistake, sure, but there is an auditable paper trail if anything had been missing. The problem would have been over had he accepted the new room at his original resort - which I'm sure was examined with white gloves and a magnifying glass before given to him - laughed off what happened with the manager, and let said manager "make it up" to him with the wide range of property-wide perks at their disposal.

Shaman

I dunno, as soon as someone starts yelling at me I go on the defense, and the OP said he did yell multiple times and at multiple people. To look at the situation from a different perspective, he was demanding a room at a different resort that was already at or beyond capacity. It's sort of like having a problem at Space Mountain and going to the Jungle Cruise to complain about it. So in accomodating the demand of this guest, another unrelated guest is now going to have a problem that they otherwise wouldn't have had. His demand was for a manager from somewhere else who didn't have a dog in this fight to mess up someone else's vacation. :veryconfu

The room key thing was a bad mistake, sure, but there is an auditable paper trail if anything had been missing. The problem would have been over had he accepted the new room at his original resort - which I'm sure was examined with white gloves and a magnifying glass before given to him - laughed off what happened with the manager, and let said manager "make it up" to him with the wide range of property-wide perks at their disposal.

I think the OP's biggest mistake was going to dinner that first night without having first resolved the room issue.

Yelling gets no one anywhere, but I can understand why the OP was upset. There seem to be communication failures throughout. The OP probably paid a pretty penny for the vacation and didn't expect to be spending precious hours and days dealing with such a mess. I don't think its unreasonable to ask to be moved to a different resort, especially if OKW had continued to screw things up (why trust that the rest of your stay there will be uneventful after everything that had happened?).

wannabeBelle

I think the bottom line was that there were MULTIPLE Screw ups here. The OP didnt seem so bad with the first instance of the room not being up to par. If that had been taken care of or if the OP came back and had a message on the phone saying that they would be moving him and to please contact Bell Services when he was ready to move to a new room, I think all of the rest would have been avoided.
I am aware that stuff does happen and if the appropriate people had taken responsibility to get it right from the beginning and worked with the gentleman, None of the later stuff would have come to pass.
I will almost always give someone the option to correct an error or oversight but when that chance turns out badly again and again, that is a SERIOUS problem that doesnt inspire anyone's confidence and leads to more tense feelings all the way around. When a manager refused to come to the phone because he/she was "busy" given what this man went through, that was inexcusable. If the manager was indeed otherwise occupied, give the OP his choice to hold on for the manager or to receive a call back. I also work in a service industry and I am considered an escalation point for irate callers. In most cases, they are just upset that no one has gotten back to them, not that they got an answer they didnt want to hear.
Belle

DisneyLindz

In oversold situations the hotel , by law regardless of state, must find another hotel for you and pay for 1 night room and tax plus a phone call to your alternate hotel. Most hotels, as in my Hilton's case, will provide transportation to the alternate hotel and make a reservation for you to return to them the following day.

This is very useful information for everyone to know before heading on vacation! If this were to happen to me (overbooked hotel and I'm the one without the room) what is the right way to bring this up to the staff/manager?

lewisc

Many hotels have that policy, but I don't know of any federal law that requires the treatment you described.

I don't think Disney comps one night if they overbook and move you to another resort. Are you staying the guest doesn't have to pay any extra if the hotel moves a guest to a more expensive property? I'll agree, although I'm not sure if that's legally required.

In oversold situations the hotel , by law regardless of state, must find another hotel for you and pay for 1 night room and tax plus a phone call to your alternate hotel. Most hotels, as in my Hilton's case, will provide transportation to the alternate hotel and make a reservation for you to return to them the following day.

Plutoboy

This is very useful information for everyone to know before heading on vacation! If this were to happen to me (overbooked hotel and I'm the one without the room) what is the right way to bring this up to the staff/manager?

Most managers are going to be aware of their sold out situation ahead of time and there are already rooms held at another hotel that the "walked guest" will be sent to. You should never have to bring this up to manager...if they are on top of their game then they shoudl already know.

In regard to another posters question... Disney has this policy as well...obviously they would like to keep the business within their gates but I can tell you that they "walked" a couple of guests to my hotel during the holidays and the 1 night was on the mouse.

It Is the obligation of the overbooked hotel to find accommodations for the arriving guest that they cannot accommodate!!! Not only is it good guest service but IT IS THE LAW!! For an example...The National Home Builders Show is coming to Orlando in mid-February. THis conventions house appr. 150,000 people and nearly every hotel is sold out.

In the case of my staff having to walk someone to another hotel we cover the cost regardless if it is a motel 6 or the Gaylord Palms.....sometimes the hotel is less than what we charge and some will be a lot more. Most hotels will have negotiated rate with one another which is obviously not the full rate that a normal guest would pay.

WDWRLD

For an example on busy nights I always have reservations overbook my hotel by 25-30 room knowing we will have cancellations and no shows........I guarantees me a higher occupancy and more chances of a sell out.

I can see if the policy is that you wont be charged if you dont show but if you have paid in full whats the diffrence? Its already a sellout, they are really trying to doubledip and have two people pay for the same room.

Plutoboy

I can see if the policy is that you wont be charged if you dont show but if you have paid in full whats the diffrence? Its already a sellout, they are really trying to doubledip and have two people pay for the same room.

Once again mY hotel does not charge people in advance of their arriving. Only thrid party comapnies like Expedia, Hotels.com and those such comapnies do chagr ein advance.... I have never really cared for those third parties but people seem to love them.

wannabeBelle

Hey there, Most hotels DONT charge but there are a few third parties as you said and Disney does charge one night's lodging prior to arrival. Belle

i have only read a couple of the posts to this thread but here is how i see the problem in a nut shell...

Disney has created it's own catch-22. While we all know "people are only human", as guests we expect more because disney has taught us to expect more from them. that is what they have built their hotel empire on-excemplary service. so, while the occasional mistake is made, and customer's get upset (rightfully so, imo), cast members, management and everyone else is supposed to go above and beyond for us as paying guests. if this happened at a holiday inn, maybe worth getting upset over, but one doesn't normally expect 4 star treatment there. whether at a value resort or a home away from home resort, we are told repeatedly that we are the number one priority, even if there are thousands of hotel rooms and it is the "busy season". disney prides itself on marketing the fact that guests are treated like they are the only one's on propery, so i think that when a situation arises, such as the one that is the subject of this thread, then the problem becomes exacerbated. i think this is a phenomenon that happens unconsciously. one immediatley expects the best from disney, so when these expectations are met with dismal results, you can understand someone's frustrations. especially after so much calling, inconvience, and broken promises on more than one occasion.

i agree that sometimes honey gets you further than vinegar, but sometimes the honey just plain runs out-even at disney.

good luck in your endevour for closure.

dflye

Once again mY hotel does not charge people in advance of their arriving. Only thrid party comapnies like Expedia, Hotels.com and those such comapnies do chagr ein advance.... I have never really cared for those third parties but people seem to love them.
I would much rather have the option of paying cold hard cash up front months in advance for any hotel stay of any length to guarantee a room when I checkin than to play the overbooked lottery at checkin time.

At least, I'm assuming that the pre-paid patrons have a higher ranking than those who are paying at check-in or check-out time.

wesTcoastY

I'm not disputing what you're claiming, but there are two sides to every story.

You obviously did not have a good experience and hopefully you can come to some kind of closure with Disney. However, mistakes do happen and they do happen on a monumental proportion sometiimes. I have worked in a hotel before and I know that double-booking of a room does unfortunately happen. It doesn't happen often, but it does. All it takes is to key something into the system wrong, forget to key something, etc. Therefore, if someone else is then booked into your room, what else is security to do besides remove all of your belongings?

Attitude will also get you a long way. "Blowing up" to management will not make your case any stronger, no matter how much you think you are in the right. Don't forget that people are people--doesn't matter if they work for Disney or not. They are still going to make mistakes, they are still going to be human, they are still going to dig their heels in when you jump all over them. Working/dealing with Disney does not guarantee perfection or no slip-ups. Losing your cool rarely helps your case with anyone.

I'm sorry you had a problem with all of this. But remember, Disney has thousands and thousands of hotel reservations they deal with every day, especially at a busy time when you were there. Perhaps they thought things were resolved since you finally ended up with a room; perhaps they chose to deal with you in the least minimal way possible because of you losing your temper; perhaps they are still contemplating a reply to you. As I've heard before, if you paid with a CC, you could have refused to pay the charges since the goods promised to you were not delivered in a proper manner.

Good luck.

Excellent post!

Plutoboy

I would much rather have the option of paying cold hard cash up front months in advance for any hotel stay of any length to guarantee a room when I checkin than to play the overbooked lottery at checkin time.

At least, I'm assuming that the pre-paid patrons have a higher ranking than those who are paying at check-in or check-out time.

Unfortunately how you pay does not have a bearing on whether you have a room or not. It usually is a first come first serve basis....I know that policy stinks and doesn't seem fair and personally I disagree with it.

This is why before I became a General Manager I would always check my family into their hotel I booked for them at 6 or 7 in the morning...this way I knew they had a room.

As a hint....if you are not staying on Disney property the way most hotels will decide if you are going to be walked (if the hotel is oversold) is this....the lower the rate, you get walked. If your reservation is for only 1 night.... you get walked. The only people that would take a major presedence is Hilton Honors/Marriott Rewards (hotel frequesnt stay programs) because the hotel is fined by corporate if those guest get relocated.

PhilharMagician

Original Poster
i have only read a couple of the posts to this thread but here is how i see the problem in a nut shell...

Disney has created it's own catch-22. While we all know "people are only human", as guests we expect more because disney has taught us to expect more from them. that is what they have built their hotel empire on-excemplary service. so, while the occasional mistake is made, and customer's get upset (rightfully so, imo), cast members, management and everyone else is supposed to go above and beyond for us as paying guests. if this happened at a holiday inn, maybe worth getting upset over, but one doesn't normally expect 4 star treatment there. whether at a value resort or a home away from home resort, we are told repeatedly that we are the number one priority, even if there are thousands of hotel rooms and it is the "busy season". disney prides itself on marketing the fact that guests are treated like they are the only one's on propery, so i think that when a situation arises, such as the one that is the subject of this thread, then the problem becomes exacerbated. i think this is a phenomenon that happens unconsciously. one immediatley expects the best from disney, so when these expectations are met with dismal results, you can understand someone's frustrations. especially after so much calling, inconvience, and broken promises on more than one occasion.

i agree that sometimes honey gets you further than vinegar, but sometimes the honey just plain runs out-even at disney.

good luck in your endevour for closure.

I guess you missed the point. I do not want hunny I want answers!

That room is my home when I am away and I expect my belongings to be safe and the also includes my family. The same is true with my house. If someone broke into your house and took your belongings would you be upset? Would you feel safe? I sure would be thinking a little differant and I was.

I want to know if my room was released?

If it was released I want to know how another guest can be out in without housekeeping giving the OK. Which is policy.

I want to know how bell services can move my luggage without my approval. Again against policy.

If my room was released I want to make sure that something is done in the future to pinpoint that in the training of the registration CM's so nobody else would have to deal with this.

I am a DVC member. I am a part owner. Just like a stockholder I am concerned on how the ship is run. Things like this go into operation costs, which means that I (along with all other members) will pay more in maintenance costs. The more effecient it runs the less I will pay.

Also, I did end up missing some things and had my new $800.00 camera apparently dropped or something dropped on it. My cash did not match up with the receipts, but I cannot prove any money was taken.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom