Major 2015 Pirates of the Caribbean Refurbishment Watch/Rumor.

hokielutz

Thanks for the video update. I missed the soft opening by less than a week. Sadly I don't have a return date for my next visit.

I second the question from earlier... what camera was used for this video of the ride? or are the scenes really that much brighter?

PorterRedkey

balance was an issue with the old boats and balance will be an issue with any boat that operates on the attraction. When dealing with a free-floating vessel you always have to be mindful of weight distribution. Weight and balance are not the issue with the current boats.
While balance is an issue, (I'm thinking of Alice in DL where two adults get the back seat instead of the front), it is not a new phenomena. When the Pirates boats were changes, it seemed that attention to balance needed to be increased. Personally, I think this is because the boats are lighter. This makes the impact of the passenger's weight effect the boat more.

Can anyone tell me the weight of the old boats vs. the new ones?

Rescue Ranger

So happy Jones is back!!!
Was hoping for Mermaids though.

Not happy with the Barbossa costume change however. Makes no sense since after last movie he reverted back to his iconic costume. This is silly.

Goofyernmost

So happy Jones is back!!!
Was hoping for Mermaids though.

Not happy with the Barbossa costume change however. Makes no sense since after last movie he reverted back to his iconic costume. This is silly.
I don't think that is Barbossa. It looks to me like the original captain has returned. Barbossa had a different dialog. If you look close the AA doesn't look like him at all, even beyond the costume. The Barbossa AA looked like Barbossa.

Goofyernmost

Sorry I'm confused. Are the mermaids working or not? Also, what are they like when operational?
Apparently not. I saw them once and it was nothing more then a projection on the water and if you didn't know where to look it was very easy to miss completely. Not really worth the effort. Even when seen it wasn't all that impressive. The only place I ever saw it was on the left beside the boat in the water, just before the mist projections of Davy Jones and whoever else they are using now. It didn't last long and if you blinked you would miss it.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Apparently not. I saw them once and it was nothing more then a projection on the water and if you didn't know where to look it was very easy to miss completely. Not really worth the effort. Even when seen it wasn't all that impressive. The only place I ever saw it was on the left beside the boat in the water, just before the mist projections of Davy Jones and whoever else they are using now. It didn't last long and if you blinked you would miss it.
Before the mist projection? I sort of remember after.
Either way, yes, the effect was subtle - a little bit of moving light and a slight ripple in the water. It was, however, on both sides of the boat.

Okay, someone else weigh in, and decide which old fogie brain (mine or Goofy's) is sharper.

Before or after the mist?

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Either way, yes, the effect was subtle - a little bit of moving light and a slight ripple in the water. It was, however, on both sides of the boat.

Okay, someone else weigh in, and decide which old fogie brain (mine or Goofy's) is sharper.

According to the this video, it's after.

And once again you have the geniuses trying to capture a lighting effect with a flash camera!

PizzaPlanet

I don't think that is Barbossa. It looks to me like the original captain has returned. Barbossa had a different dialog. If you look close the AA doesn't look like him at all, even beyond the costume. The Barbossa AA looked like Barbossa.

Thats odd... it sounds like Barbossa to me. I don't think Barbossa ever looked that much like himself to be honest.

MerlinTheGoat

That absolutely is Geoffrey Rush as Barbossa (and it's his voice speaking), but they've changed his clothes to his privateer outfit from On Stranger Tides.
pirates_of_the_caribbean_on_stranger_tides__barbossa-t2.jpg

It is indeed a strange change given that he only wears the outfit during his employment under the crown. Not that he wasn't a pirate anymore during his time working for the King, he had ulterior motives. But he changes clothes as soon as he completes his mission, and he definitely isn't acting under British rule in the ride (attacking the fortress and allowing his clearly pirate crew to invade the town and terrorize everyone). It doesn't make much sense really, a very baffling change.

lazyboy97o

It is indeed a strange change given that he only wears the outfit during his employment under the crown. Not that he wasn't a pirate anymore (secretly he still was) during his time working for the King. But he changes clothes as soon as he completes his mission, and he definitely isn't acting under British rule in the ride (attacking the fortress and allowing his clearly pirate crew to invade the town and terrorize everyone). It doesn't make much sense really, a very baffling change.
Poor storytelling has been par the course for the attraction since it was decided that it needed to be "more relevant."

MerlinTheGoat

I should mention i'm not trying to find fault in the refurb for the record, just some thoughts. I'm not really offended, more confused. The refurb as a whole looks like it went pretty well otherwise, things are looking and sounding quite good again from what I can see from the video (though only an in-person ride will show how far this goes).

I hope the fix to the boats comes soon though. As a tall guy, I like the first row as I feel it has better leg room, but currently it's not worth being soaked (literally it's been worse than Splash Mountain).

Goofyernmost

I will concede that it could be after the mist. I just remember seeing a glimpse of it. I didn't check my GPS to see exactly where it was. So you could win this one, but, then again why shouldn't you, you're a much younger "fogie" then I.

Goofyernmost

That absolutely is Geoffrey Rush as Barbossa (and it's his voice speaking), but they've changed his clothes to his privateer outfit from On Stranger Tides.
pirates_of_the_caribbean_on_stranger_tides__barbossa-t2.jpg

It is indeed a strange change given that he only wears the outfit during his employment under the crown. Not that he wasn't a pirate anymore during his time working for the King, he had ulterior motives. But he changes clothes as soon as he completes his mission, and he definitely isn't acting under British rule in the ride (attacking the fortress and allowing his clearly pirate crew to invade the town and terrorize everyone). It doesn't make much sense really, a very baffling change.
I will concede this one also, I have never seen "On Stranger Tides" so that threw me. The voice didn't resonate with me, but, it's more then possible. A thousand pardons.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom