Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

danlb_2000

Premium Member
\

What is the purpose of these structures? The roof I understand, but what is the concrete box sticking out of one side going to be for?

image-jpg.94743

dstrawn9889

the backside, as you can see in the pictures after that one, show a full 6'8" door, in a sunken well... most likely temporary storage/access to utilities for those food stands/carts... and the plumbing for any water fountains

Goofnut1980

So call me crazy, but why are the bringing back two of the previous style buildings for snacks. It honestly does not match anything else they are doing in the hub. Nothing on MSUSA has that style to it. I could see if there were 4 like before, but its only 2... and then they are going to put something with the new turrets. It sort of looks out of place. Or am I wrong?

Thank you roj2323 for posting updated pictures. What a mess still! The pace of this project is rather frustrating. :banghead:
Frustrating yes, but remember, the park closes anywhere between midnight and 1 (or 2 am on occasion), and then opens as early as 8am on some days, 9 on others (depending on emh's). So the Mon-Fri overnights they have to work (once the guests leave the park), they only have anywhere from 6-7 hours to work (realistically). Because the park closes later this time of year, there are fewer hours in which to work. Now, having said that, it's Disney for crying out loud, you would think if they could move mountains, they can surely rebuild some paths, planters and repour some concrete in a reasonable time frame. I'm not going to pretend that I know everything about construction because I don't, and who knows what problems they may have run up against during these renovations, but it sure does seem like it's been a process. I know what it's like renovating a house, I can only imagine renovating a theme park - of course with their money and resources, it's far from apples to apples. Although you have to admit, the second side of the central plaza is moving faster than the first did.

Goofyernmost

Frustrating yes, but remember, the park closes anywhere between midnight and 1 (or 2 am on occasion), and then opens as early as 8am on some days, 9 on others (depending on emh's). So the Mon-Fri overnights they have to work (once the guests leave the park), they only have anywhere from 6-7 hours to work (realistically). Because the park closes later this time of year, there are fewer hours in which to work. Now, having said that, it's Disney for crying out loud, you would think if they could move mountains, they can surely rebuild some paths, planters and repour some concrete in a reasonable time frame. I'm not going to pretend that I know everything about construction because I don't, and who knows what problems they may have run up against during these renovations, but it sure does seem like it's been a process. I know what it's like renovating a house, I can only imagine renovating a theme park - of course with their money and resources, it's far from apples to apples. Although you have to admit, the second side of the central plaza is moving faster than the first did.
You actually answered your concerns with the first part of that paragraph. They could easily do it faster, if you didn't mind the fact that you would not be able to get close to the front of the Castle. On top of the shortage of actual work time, keep in mind that materials, equipment and set up as well as tear down are also in that limited time frame. Concrete has to cure and things have to be moved around (also during that small window) to accomplish what is left to be done and it is in the most vital and heavily traveled part of the entire redo.

Yes, it is Disney and if they wanted too, they could speed it up. However, at what expense to the Guests? Men and machines operating while guests are milling about doesn't sound like a really good idea to me.

You actually answered your concerns with the first part of that paragraph. They could easily do it faster, if you didn't mind the fact that you would not be able to get close to the front of the Castle. On top of the shortage of actual work time, keep in mind that materials, equipment and set up as well as tear down are also in that limited time frame. Concrete has to cure and things have to be moved around (also during that small window) to accomplish what is left to be done and it is in the most vital and heavily traveled part of the entire redo.

Yes, it is Disney and if they wanted too, they could speed it up. However, at what expense to the Guests? Men and machines operating while guests are milling about doesn't sound like a really good idea to me.
I couldn't agree more. I was actually making that point to the OP. Yes, it's frustrating, but I can sympathize with what the guys are going through. It's easy to say "It's Disney, it should be done NOW. Magic dammit!" lol. Unfortunately, this is the real world, as "fantasy-like" as Disney and Magic Kingdom is, construction is real-life. Tractors and diggers don't move themselves - and they don't move fast. There's logistics, and this IS a big job. We were there last year when the walls from the recently revealed "Plaza Gardens East/West" were still up, and you know what? It didn't bother us. For us, our trip this summer will be different in the sense that yes, there will still be construction - when won't there be? But having said that, with the Plaza Gardens open, it'll actually feel a bit more open than it did last year. I try not to be cynical about these things, after all, it was Walt Disney himself that said that it was his idea that the parks would never be completed and always evolving, so, I go with that. My only hope is that Partners is unboxed and accessible by Independence Day for our customary family photo. Will it ruin our vacation if it isn't? Heck no! It's a statue, and one that is so mobbed that time of year to begin with you have to get there first thing to even get a pic with it - otherwise it's flooded and overtaken by a million Brazilians the entire day, it's only 0.05% of our trip. It would just be nice, and I'm still hopeful, even after seeing the most recent pics. They're not THAT far off with still more than a month to go. Disney KNOWS that is the busiest part of the park, hence why they're doing what they're doing. So I'm sure with that known, they're trying to have that part finished up asap with the summer crowds building and the July 4th holiday on the horizon.

Last edited:

roj2323

\

What is the purpose of these structures? The roof I understand, but what is the concrete box sticking out of one side going to be for?

image-jpg.94743
I believe it's likely just a utility closet. I'm not sure of what else they could be using it for as it's obviously not a cooler and it's not meant to be accessed often. The odd thing however is just how well renforced it is. It's built in a way in which you could park a tank on it or throw explosives at it and it would survive. Saying I'm confused by it is really an understatement.

dstrawn9889

I believe it's likely just a utility closet. I'm not sure of what else they could be using it for as it's obviously not a cooler and it's not meant to be accessed often. The odd thing however is just how well renforced it is. It's built in a way in which you could park a tank on it or throw explosives at it and it would survive. Saying I'm confused by it is really an understatement.
agreements all around, its like a small bank vault

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom