Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

Sage of Time

Is this for PotC or for the new hub?
Photo discovery as of Tuesday, Mar 10. Riding the Epcot monorail you pass by a construction/staging area where the old airstrip used to be in the mid-20th century (east side of monorail). Two towers are being constructed in this area, only visible for a few seconds. My first thought is they could be replacement towers for the Spanish fort inside Pirates of the Caribbean, since they have that shape and turret top, which is why I posted these photos here. However, someone else might have a better clue (i.e., movie prop, future attraction, something completely different). The tower on the left is still metal framework. The tower on the right has a outer covering.

View attachment 86337

in this photo, you see the right tower with the "turret top" shape.

View attachment 86338

WDWtraveler

Photo discovery as of Tuesday, Mar 10. Riding the Epcot monorail you pass by a construction/staging area where the old airstrip used to be in the mid-20th century (east side of monorail). Two towers are being constructed in this area, only visible for a few seconds. The tower on the left is still metal framework. The tower on the right has a outer covering. Both are yet to be finished and painted, with no top yet. I originally posted this under Pirates of the Caribbean thinking they might be part of the refurbishment. With help from other forum members, I believe these are towers for the hub redevelopment, to be placed on either side of the castle.

img_5033-jpg.86337

img_5035-jpg.86338

Bolt

Photo update as of Tuesday, Mar 10. As reported earlier, the low construction walls were removed around the two planter areas in the center of the hub. See below two photos.

The Partners statue is in the background of this photo.

View attachment 86323

In this photo, you can see Disney wasted no time in surrounding the Rose Garden hub area with construction walls and has already begun landscape and earth removal. See photos below. Additionally, the two smaller buildings to the left and right of the castle stage (which had drinking fountains) have been completely removed.

View attachment 86322

Here is the pathway through the Rose Garden.

View attachment 86328

The "photo op" location at the entrance to the Rose Garden. The pole in the photo is part of the arch over the entrance.

View attachment 86329

The small building (drinking fountain) to the left of the castle was right behind this construction wall.

View attachment 86330

Taken from Liberty Square bridge, here is the other side of the wall in the above photo.

View attachment 86331

The newly planted large trees near the Crystal Palace are beginning to leaf out. Here is the view from the hub towards the Crystal Palace.

View attachment 86332
I do enjoy in the 2nd to last photo, they wrap the bulldozer in green netting since it was peaking over.

halltd

Photo discovery as of Tuesday, Mar 10. Riding the Epcot monorail you pass by a construction/staging area where the old airstrip used to be in the mid-20th century (east side of monorail). Two towers are being constructed in this area, only visible for a few seconds. The tower on the left is still metal framework. The tower on the right has a outer covering. Both are yet to be finished and painted, with no top yet. I originally posted this under Pirates of the Caribbean thinking they might be part of the refurbishment. With help from other forum members, I believe these are towers for the hub redevelopment, to be placed on either side of the castle.

This is awesome to see. A couple days ago I was actually wondering if they would prefab these (and the two other popcorn cart buildings) and then fly/truck them in at night. It's great to see this is what they're actually doing!! So the only "ugly" work that will be visible in the park is ground work. Yay!

halltd

I'm curious as to why these railings have been replaced with the new version, but at what appears to be the old height. Do you think these are at the height to actually allow for people to sit/lean on during the fireworks and the others in the hub area that were replaced with taller ones were kept tall to prevent people from leaning and thus keeping traffic moving along?

I always thought the new railings were going in at a higher height for safety reasons. But, now I don't know.

Brian

I'm curious as to why these railings have been replaced with the new version, but at what appears to be the old height. Do you think these are at the height to actually allow for people to sit/lean on during the fireworks and the others in the hub area that were replaced with taller ones were kept tall to prevent people from leaning and thus keeping traffic moving along?

I always thought the new railings were going in at a higher height for safety reasons. But, now I don't know.

It's possible, but unlikely (regarding sitting) because I'm sure if the lawyers had anything to do with it, they would not be designing railings meant to be sat on. Sitting on railings is a humpty dumpty lawsuit waiting to happen.

The Empress Lilly

img_5033-jpg.86337

img_5035-jpg.86338
Obviously these two towers are the upcoming Lord of the Rings fifth gate.

Rose&Crowner

There is no pedestrian access at all between the Hub and Liberty Square during parade times. They put up ropes to divert Guests at least 15 minutes before the night parade comes through (not sure about the day parade but I presume it's the same procedure). That stretch just before the Liberty Square bridge operates as a VIP viewing area for celebrities, etc, as well as a mid-route "problem fixing" spot where techs and managers can stop a float and deal with any issues that may have cropped up along the way. (I remember standing just over the bridge in Liberty Square and seeing them have to open up the side of the Spectromagic metronome float to deal with an issue)

When the Hub is done they'll also have to add an additional CM PAC position and rope along the new northwest path to keep people from getting to the Liberty Square bridge (though presumably retaining access to the snack stand going in along there).

-Rob

Nice to know, thanks!
I still want to see how they build the walls out into the "street" so they can create the new paths tied into the old.

Nevermind! Pic updates showed me!

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

Yeah, I'm in the minority, and maybe I need a pic of the new hub from this angle to really be sure, but I think I prefer the new hub...

I was being sarcastic in an attempt to fish out the people that really do find that hub ugly. I did, and now they are marked. But regardless of their poor taste, that hub was awesome because of the trees and no ugly stage, and no Facebook or selfies (yay, narcissism!).
I don't think that the old Hub was ugly, in fact it was quite nice, however, at some point all of us have to pull ourselves out of yesterday and into what is needed today. I used to find 1965 Cadillac's nice to look at, but, they sure wouldn't translate into today's world. It is being set up to take care of demand whether we like it or not. As is evident here, some do not find it all that bad. Some think it is the work of the Devil himself. Doesn't really matter it is what it is and we can either like it or lump it, as we used to say in grammar school. When all is said and done this is a Theme Park and it appears that they have done an awful lot of planning and working of design and expense to make it as useful and attractive as possible. I think that they have achieved that in this case. But, whatever we do, let's not give Disney credit for anything. It might make their heads swell up.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom