Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
When Buena Vista Street at DCA was being built (rebuilt), I wondered why they did the same thing there....they had the perfect opportunity to disguise the show lighting, but ended up putting it right out there in front of everyone. After spending so much money on creating an awesome environment, I just can't fathom why they didn't go the extra step when it came to lighting placement.

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
You'll note, in every picture posted, the towers are off to the side of the "view" being presented. Not smack dab in the middle of it!
In these pictures, you're right....but, in the hub, they are just as misplaced as in the MK. I just couldn't find pictures that showed the bad placement. It's the same problem, but the trees in the DL hub create the same sightline problems (although I'll take the foliage over perfect sightline).

Brian

If I recall correctly, the lighting towers we're discussing are only turned on during super busy times, for what I assume are safety reasons. But perhaps, if there is a nighttime presentation of Festival of Fantasy on the way, they might be used for that purpose too.

On a different topic, have/will the plaza rose gardens be destroyed as part of the next phase of the expansion? And speaking of the next phase of the expansion, any photos of that yet? :D

englanddg

One Little Spark...
In these pictures, you're right....but, in the hub, they are just as misplaced as in the MK. I just couldn't find pictures that showed the bad placement. It's the same problem, but the trees in the DL hub create the same sightline problems (although I'll take the foliage over perfect sightline).
The trees at MKs hub created the same issues before they were removed. But, the theory wouldbe,as they are turning the hub and Main St into the "mass viewing area for fireworks" and leveling all they can, that they would consider a pole stuck in the middle (and the associated speaker enclosures) in their design. That is the point.

I'll save judgement until the are finished, but from the pictures posted earlier, I know exactly where the photographer would have had to stand to take them, and it's not like he/she had to go out of their way to frame the "obstruction"...it is there, it is obvious, and it breaks the show.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
If I recall correctly, the lighting towers we're discussing are only turned on during super busy times, for what I assume are safety reasons. But perhaps, if there is a nighttime presentation of Festival of Fantasy on the way, they might be used for that purpose too.
Only from my hazy personal recollection, but they were used regularly before and after the night parade and fireworks. Indeed, they were timed during Spectro to go out bang on the thunder in the intro, like the other route supplementary lighting - other lighting cleverly designed to be hidden or to be motorised out of the way.

Brian

Only from my hazy personal recollection, but they were used regularly before and after the night parade and fireworks. Indeed, they were timed during Spectro to go out bang on the thunder in the intro, like the other route supplementary lighting - other lighting cleverly designed to be hidden or to be motorised out of the way.

We may be thinking of the same thing. I was basing my first post on Spectromagic/Fantasy in the Sky (and in later years, Wishes) time.

RandySavage

I

This is part of my curiosity. I have some questions too for those in the know:

I've never followed parades that closely. Are these lighting rigs all over the parks (not just MK) primarily to enhance parades? Daytime and nighttime? In the past, were they not needed (e.g. doesn't the Electrical Parade illuminate itself and not require spotlights? Was the sun formerly enough for daytime parades)? Used for castle shows?

Or are these lights part of Walt Disney Lawyereering's crusade over the last decade to make these dangerous theme parks less deadly, via higher railings, fewer curbs, additional lighting fixtures, lap bars, brightened queues (pirates), etc. Are these spotlights there to make the major pathways brighter and thus safer for visitors at night (not just parades)? Are they on all night?

EDIT: partially answered above.

On a different topic, have/will the plaza rose gardens be destroyed as part of the next phase of the expansion? And speaking of the next phase of the expansion, any photos of that yet? :D
Yes (well, the east side path goes through them, at least), and some of the last handful of the inner hub's big, original trees at the Liberty Street bridge are also in the crosshairs of the new path on the west side. Will be close, but I hope most are spared.

On a tangential note, DisneySea just opened its own version of the MK Hub Project (they filled in a portion of the Mediterranean Harbor to allow more room for crowds, shows and closer viewing of Fantasmic). This box is one of many where the show rigs rise out of the ground when needed:
023002015030100.JPG

Last edited:

Brian

I

This is part of my curiosity. I have some questions too for those in the know:

I've never followed parades that closely. Are these lighting rigs all over the parks (not just MK) primarily to enhance parades? Daytime and nighttime? In the past, were they not needed (e.g. doesn't the Electrical Parade illuminate itself and not require spotlights? Was the sun formerly enough for daytime parades)? Used for castle shows?

Or are these lights part of Walt Disney Lawyereering's crusade over the last decade to make these dangerous theme parks safer, via higher railings, fewer curbs, additional lighting fixtures, lap bars, brightened queues (pirates), etc. Are these spotlights there to make the major pathways brighter and thus safer for visitors at night (not just parades)? Are they on all night?

Yes and the last of the inner hub's big, original trees at the Liberty Street bridge are also in the crosshairs of the new path on the west side.

You are correct that MSEP provides it's own lighting onboard the floats. Most building and lamp post lighting is shut off during them. I haven't seen Festival of Fantasy yet, but I can't imagine them needing these lights for it, since it's runs during the daytime.

In my amateur opinion, these lights are a result of the "lawyering." As I said in my earlier posts, I have memories of these lights being turned on at night during peak times (before/after Wishes and Spectromagic) when the hub was flooded with people. The reason I think it's "lawyering" is because other areas of the park have supplemental lighting too...

31p5XSLex1L._SY445_.jpg

I recall seeing a number of units like these on the roofs of Frontierland and Liberty Square buildings at peak times. Workers would have to manually pivot the arm into an upright position (like in the picture) and then turned on one by one. When done for the night, they'd be lowered back down and out of the sightline. They probably also exist on the roofs of buildings in the other lands, but I have yet to see them.

Perhaps someone more in the know can weigh in?

Last edited:

note2001

You are correct that MSEP provides it's own lighting onboard the floats. Most building and lamp post lighting is shut off during them. I haven't seen Festival of Fantasy yet, but I can't imagine them needing these lights for it, since it's runs during the daytime.

In my amateur opinion, these lights are a result of the "lawyering." As I said in my earlier posts, I have memories of these lights being turned on at night during peak times (before/after Wishes and Spectromagic) when the hub was flooded with people. The reason I think it's "lawyering" is because other areas of the park have supplemental lighting too...

31p5XSLex1L._SY445_.jpg

I recall seeing a number of units like these on the roofs of Frontierland and Liberty Square buildings at peak times. Workers would have to manually pivot the arm into an upright position (like in the picture) and then turned on one by one. When done for the night, they'd be lowered back down and out of the sightline. They probably also exist on the roofs of buildings in the other lands, but I have yet to see them.

At first glance I thought you were pointing out a drone option for lighting. LOL.
In the future however, I can see drones as a viable option, once the power source situation is figured out and weather permitting. MA State police already have one they're testing, saw it positioned over a wreck at night. Insurance on those things will be extraordinarily high though in that they'd be hovering over crowds.

mm52200

These light poles are primarily used for parade route/show lighting. Whenever MiSiDaPi has an evening show they are used and when they run Boo to You and Once Upon a Christmastime parades at night they are used to light the parade route. Incidentally they tend to also use them during busy times prior to MSEP and Wishes. I think these poles were always in the area except there wasn't a viewing area directly behind them like there is now. Most other parade route lighting can be found on rooftops but the hub area is the one area where they have to use these poles unfortunately.

NearTheEars

You'll note, in every picture posted, the towers are off to the side of the "view" being presented. Not smack dab in the middle of it!

That's also all a matter of where one takes the photo of said poles. A few steps to the right or left and boom! Unobstructed castle.

That doesn't mean i like them. If they CAN do better, then they SHOULD.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The other lighting around the parks seems to be supplementary to the themed on stage street lighting where it is deemed too dim for safety. And rightly so. The roofs of Liberty Square, Frontierland and Main Street have them where they tilt / telescope up on motors after dark and disappear when not in use. They really illuminate the main through routes and parade path using spot lights. There may be a post in Liberty Square like the hub thinking about it.

Walking around then the lighting is not in use and things are far darker. Same for World Showcase.

However the key is that the majority disappears when not in use. And that's just on rooftops for pathways. Not infront of a world famous icon. And ironically in the sightline from an area people reserve specifically to look towards the castle.

jdmdisney99

On a tangential note, DisneySea just opened its own version of the MK Hub Project (they filled in a portion of the Mediterranean Harbor to allow more room for crowds, shows and closer viewing of Fantasmic). This box is one of many where the show rigs rise out of the ground when needed:
023002015030100.JPG
Any more pictures of this? Would be interesting to compare the two.

Cesar R M

31p5XSLex1L._SY445_.jpg

I actually wonder if they will serve for when the extended parties (24 hours) happen.
better illumination the entire day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom