Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

halltd

Thanks for the photo update.

Since one of the goals of the project was to create unobstructed views of the castle, I'm surprised the telescoping system used at other parks (see the dozens of highly-themed boxes at DisneySea below) wasn't used for those big parade lighting rigs:

With no mature trees going anywhere near them, those poles are really going to stick out in perpetuity.

Only had to search this tread. It's all here already. ;)

Goofyernmost

You'll note, in every picture posted, the towers are off to the side of the "view" being presented. Not smack dab in the middle of it!
Wouldn't that depend on where you are standing? Shouldn't it be coupled with what they are specifically supposed to accomplish? Sidestep about a foot and they are no longer directly in the middle of it. Heavens people have been looking between tree branches for years now, while that thin line of the pole is almost invisible for most people unaware that it has any traumatic significance. So for a minor amount of obstruction supposedly you get a better show. Concern about it seems fairly petty to me. We cannot have everything, life isn't like that.

I don't always agree with the things that they do, but, to seriously feel that they should spend that much on retractable anything, when so few are actually impacted by it, just seems a little extreme. Judging from the placement of the lamp posts in DL, I'd have to say that it never has been a huge concern of Disney. Safety isn't involved, so show is. On one hand the argument is made that being there is a bad show. Then on the other hand that particular placement could possible enhance the show to a much higher degree then it takes away from it. Balance is what is required here. This doesn't really seem out of balance to me.

Cesar R M

Wouldn't that depend on where you are standing? Shouldn't it be coupled with what they are specifically supposed to accomplish? Sidestep about a foot and they are no longer directly in the middle of it. Heavens people have been looking between tree branches for years now, while that thin line of the pole is almost invisible for most people unaware that it has any traumatic significance. So for a minor amount of obstruction supposedly you get a better show. Concern about it seems fairly petty to me. We cannot have everything, life isn't like that.

I don't always agree with the things that they do, but, to seriously feel that they should spend that much on retractable anything, when so few are actually impacted by it, just seems a little extreme. Judging from the placement of the lamp posts in DL, I'd have to say that it never has been a huge concern of Disney. Safety isn't involved, so show is. On one hand the argument is made that being there is a bad show. Then on the other hand that particular placement could possible enhance the show to a much higher degree then it takes away from it. Balance is what is required here. This doesn't really seem out of balance to me.
when the place is packed.. you hardly can "move one foot to the left".
because everyone would want to also move "one foot to the left" to dodge the view when you moved too.
noone wants to have a pole blocking.

Martiyoman

when the place is packed.. you hardly can "move one foot to the left".
because everyone would want to also move "one foot to the left" to dodge the view when you moved too.
noone wants to have a pole blocking.
So let's say 1 in 100 have a "bad" view. Though I'd guess probably closer to 1:300. Football stadiums don't have retractable goal posts (mostly), for the same reason disney doesn't have retractable lighting. It's a mostly minor drawback during a very small portion of the day that doesn't necessitate such a cost increase. At least to me.

erwinalber4

I'm sorry, but what is "natural" in a park environment?
I think he meant natural as in a photograph way. He mentioned he was a photographer. Like imagine seeing a picture of Cinderella Castle and forget anything outside the borders of that picture. It becomes more than a park and is a picture of a magic kingdom that people from everywhere come to see and it has a grand majestic castle, lush green grass and flowers, a sparkling moat around the edges and a big wait what is that? A light pole with stage lighting.

I think I may have thought way too much into that actually. But I understand his meaning.

Father Robinson

I think he meant natural as in a photograph way. He mentioned he was a photographer. Like imagine seeing a picture of Cinderella Castle and forget anything outside the borders of that picture. It becomes more than a park and is a picture of a magic kingdom that people from everywhere come to see and it has a grand majestic castle, lush green grass and flowers, a sparkling moat around the edges and a big wait what is that? A light pole with stage lighting.

I think I may have thought way too much into that actually. But I understand his meaning.
You understand it perfectly. You didn't think too much into it. For those of us who understand why the Disney World is the most magical place on Earth, (It's a place where reality as we know it is a thing that exists OUTSIDE the entrance to the property), we all understand why something like an exposed show element placed right smack in front of arguably the most photographed thing in the world can be annoying, as well as mind boggling. No my friend, you understand it because you understand what Disney means to people.

Cesar R M

So let's say 1 in 100 have a "bad" view. Though I'd guess probably closer to 1:300. Football stadiums don't have retractable goal posts (mostly), for the same reason disney doesn't have retractable lighting. It's a mostly minor drawback during a very small portion of the day that doesn't necessitate such a cost increase. At least to me.
hu.. most professional stadiums(if not all) do not have the light lamps infront of the people.. they have them BEHIND the people and up the stands in high towers.

Also, in sports.. the action moves constantly from area to area. you're not always blocked.
in this case.. your view from the castle will be effectively blocked 100% of the time unless you force your way and move from the spot.

jakeman

100422_jets_stadium__jc-11134754-300x450.jpg

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I'm curious how legal would allow the instillation of sports turf. Lots of liability between the slipperyness when wet and the heat it retains from the sun.

Sound be some interesting lawsuits....

I did wonder about how well this area would drain but never did consider how slippery it can be or how much heat AstroTurf does retain resulting in the surface temps being much higher. Yikes. Pack all those FP+ peeps in there with an elevated heat level, fun fun. It will be interesting to see how quickly water drains after a heavy downpour.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
There are many types of artificial grass surfaces. I recently was on playing field that was "real grass" replacement for AstroTurf. I right away noticed that it did not give off the heat like the old AstroTurf did. So I guess a lot will depend on what type of artificial grass Disney put in these areas. I will be there in two weeks and going to check this out.

wdizneew

dsc02771-jpg.85035

After seeing this photo, I am really disappointed with this view...it almost looks like the crane belongs behind the castle with all these poles in the way.

I'm guessing the further back you are in the Fastpass viewing area, the less these poles bother you. However, you still have to deal with the crowd of people standing in front of you.

Paradise Park at DCA has it right with the lower light poles. Although, the show lighting is still in the way.

http://.smugmug.com/Disneyland-Resort/Conner-Purzyckis-43010-Photo/090/859266422_JWqMH-M.jpg

CaptainShortty

I did wonder about how well this area would drain but never did consider how slippery it can be or how much heat AstroTurf does retain resulting in the surface temps being much higher. Yikes. Pack all those FP+ peeps in there with an elevated heat level, fun fun. It will be interesting to see how quickly water drains after a heavy downpour.
Disney has already approved a turf like material called ForeverLawn. It was used (and will be used again I believe) at the playgrounds at the Flower & Garden Festival. It doesn't get nearly as hot as AstroTurf and drains very well.

wannab@dis

A quick google finds a picture of what the view used to look like...
caseys-view-p.jpg

It used to include trees and, gasp, light poles. The new view is a huge improvement and the lovely view down Main Street is still there without the light poles. Unfortunately, it does get dark at night, so the lights are necessary. If they bother you, stand on Main Street.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom