Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

kap91

Question...when will the bypass be used? only on Holidays and capacity nights? all year round? That answer depends on how I view how much to invest in the bypass. If only on capacity and Holiday nights it doesn't bother me that they are not building full facades for something only used on a handful of nights in the year.

This. A beautified backstage walkway used a handful of days a year is perfectly acceptable and better than what is there now.

A beautified backstage walkway used day and night 365 days a year is a problem.

jakeman

And this (the thread, not your post) is why the folks at Celebration Place feel like they own the fan community in social media.

Let's not talk about what was decided at last week's meeting when JUNE's price increases were suddenly moved up to February.
You must have missed that thread. Here's a link:

Ticket Price Increase!

It currently is 6 hours younger than this thread and at the time of this posting has 95 more replies. Up until a moment ago it was at the top of the News and Rumors section.

I hope this helps settle your mind about the topic.

ABQ

I'll have to go back and check, but I seem to recall the plans calling for removal of that path and the demo of the Swan Boat dock.

EDIT: Yep...
Thanks...or no thanks....Thank you for finding the data, but darn, I liked that path and dock. Will the sea serpent topiary at least be spared?

JungleTrekFan

You said the Rose Garden was being eliminated, but it didn't look bad. I say, if the Rose Garden is going, it is bad. Therefore, your two statements don't compute.
Yes it is, and so is the swan boat dock. But its being replaced with added walking space, makes the hub look much grander and uniform, like Tokyo’s, adds more viewing for fireworks and parades. Oh and the planters and fountains that are being added look a lot nicer then the rose garden. Yes the garden was nice, but it by no means was it irreplaceable. Personally i think these new plant areas will look a lot nicer than the rose garden.
Looks like some topiary gardens on each side.View attachment 46891

Thanks...or no thanks....Thank you for finding the data, but darn, I liked that path and dock. Will the sea serpent topiary at least be spared?
Yep see this picture from Lee above, it is still in their.

Lee thank you again for posting these plans, i love going through plans and drawings like this.

Last edited:

HM Spectre

Except ... well, except that some of us don't think that. While there are nice design elements, the project winds up a FAIL (as the kiddies like to say) based upon the fact they are not building a proper bypass. Nope, they'll put lighting up, and some very cheap landscaping that will hopefully keep you from giving Phil's Caddy four flats. Maybe they'll pull an old prop out of a warehouse and drop in down. But they won't do a proper arcade like DLP. It will still be painfully obvious that you are backstage where you don't belong.

That's the thing though... I don't think most people are behind what you're describing here. Projects like this are spun in a completely different way by social media. It's not like Disney is advertising this as an expanded people-parking lot at the expense of water and trees and overall show quality. IF people realize that this is going to be done on the cheap and not a "proper arcade" as you put it, most people would be against it. The excess capacity would certainly be welcome but not if it's going to make the central point in MK look like hot garbage.

Not everyone is privy to the information that you have though. Maybe I have more confidence in WDW fans than I should right now but I have to think if what you're describing were conveyed, people would be upset about it. That's just not the message being put out there by the powers that be (for obvious reasons) so that's not how the gen pop are receiving the news. If realistic views not covered in pixie dust by TDO were made mainstream and put out there right away, I think you'd see a very different reaction...

I don't like the idea of losing the encircling water. I understand more viewing area, but I also see them taking out more trees and making it look more and more blah and desolate. I also don't like the flat Main St. without sidewalks while we are at it.

Soarin' Over Pgh

You are welcome.

I really wish one day I could come here with some truly great news about WDW. Really.

Now, I'm going to go deal with my, unfortunately, poor current health!

Knock it off with that poor health stuff. Feel better. Take care of yourself. :)

And thanks for your insight, as much as I hate to read it sometimes, it's ...it's important stuff to read.

Mawg

I can't help but think the hub will be an eye sore and a complete traffic nightmare until the construction is completed. Any word on how they will get this done without impeding traffic and guest experience? Seems like a place I would not want to go until completed. Won't comment on how I think it will look when it's completed, I'll save that for when I see it but I can't help but think it will look terrible under construction.

tl77

Yes, but that is speaking logically and with commen sense. That there is the rub.

We also are Disney Parks fans and understand how things work. The vast majority of people visiting don't. I wouldn't use one of mine, but I know plenty of people who would. Sad but true... at the same time, that is great because that is one less person trying to get one for Splash, Space, and Thunder Mountains.

Wait I have to book my meal reservations 180 days before my trip??? What!!!!!!!! o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O - How many times have you seen and heard that one? Disney planning for most of "US" is second nature, but when you talk to many people they think: 1. "You're Crazy!" 2. "That can't possible be true." When they get there :facepalm:... I told you so. :D

I'm still not sure it is an FP+ area though. If it is I'm assuming people wouldn't use it, you're assuming people will, but the seating that's currently in front of the Plaza down by the moat, is something you pay extra for and they serve you a meal there. That area also seems to be getting expanded in this new over haul and they are adding a similar looking space in front of Casey's.

So it's either FP+ or some kind of V.I.P. area, or the sort of reserved area they have around World Showcase for convention guests ect... But with all the added space around the hub, it doesn't seem like these areas aren't really a "necessity" to me, more like a "luxury"

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I'm still not sure it is an FP+ area though
There are two designated, gated FP+ areas either side of Main Street. These are the areas above the current water to be covered with artificial grass. Logic would say if they're going to all this trouble it should be an area for anyone since the company openly admits they have a traffic problem. But this is FP+.

In brighter news it appears the east diversion should have a connecting guest corridor to Center Street East.

Last edited:

Slowjack

This. A beautified backstage walkway used a handful of days a year is perfectly acceptable and better than what is there now.

A beautified backstage walkway used day and night 365 days a year is a problem.
I was at MK in mid-January and they were sending people backstage even then. I don't know that it would be open every day, but it's not just going to be on phased closing days.

WDWYankee15

I was at MK in mid-January and they were sending people backstage even then. I don't know that it would be open every day, but it's not just going to be on phased closing days.
My guess would be that they hope to have the bypass done soon... maybe before the Spring Break rush, but most certainly before the summer peak season. This way they can in ernest start the hub work without having to have an even more damning effect on the currently poor crowd control following the fireworks. This is speculation on my part and not knowledge. Again trying to use logic and common sense... could be a problem.

As far as what impact it will actually have on crowd movement during construction, I would guess that would be limited to elimination and the use of the small paths that are to be removed. That is where having the new bypass in place would really come in handy. Looking at the images (below) that @MarkTwain was so kind to make and provide, they should be able to do the construction around the hub and connect into the existing spokes of the hub without having to shut anything else down. I believe this is why the Casey's Corner project was just down now in the slow period as it effects areas that are currently in use.

So while it may be a bad eye sore (and possiblly they will do one segment or 1/4 of the pie if you will at a time or something so not everything is ripped up at once) for some time, the foot traffic should be effected very little during this project.

Photoshopped a quick aerial before and after:
Overlay_zpsbdcbcc66.jpg

Overlay3_zpseaa67eb9.jpg

QUOTE]

PrincessNelly_NJ

My feelings are pretty mixed on this... I know it needs to happen but I hate that they are removing the Rose Garden and the seating near the Plaza (that is where we always watched Wishes from and it was hardly ever crowded. But mostly, why are they putting in artificial grass? Have they always used artificial grass?

dstrawn9889

there are plenty of rosebushes in EPCOT, probsbly sprigged from those very roses. and the arent going to bulldoze those roses, i would expect mousescaping out the night before transplanting them for movement to the greenhouses/landscape storage area...

PrincessNelly_NJ

there are plenty of rosebushes in EPCOT, probsbly sprigged from those very roses. and the arent going to bulldoze those roses, i would expect mousescaping out the night before transplanting them for movement to the greenhouses/landscape storage area...
True but it was just a beautiful spot and I know so many people who got engaged there will be sad to see it go... Oh well...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom