Main Street U.S.A. concrete replacement project begins tomorrow

The Empress Lilly

I'd love to see the hub change and become more green again, but more concrete? Oh dear.

The park is becoming less and less beautiful every day.
Sad, isn't it? :(

The MK is overcrowded. It was designed to accomodate ten million visitors a year. It is now approaching eighteen. These near-eighteen spend more time in the park per day than before, back when there was only one park, or two, and you spend your five days at WDW alternating the parks with enjoying the resort, instead of five stresful days of commando go-go-go park-binging. And the MK had longer operating hours to boot.

The result is that the MK is twice as busy as it was build for. This has all sorts of repercussions, and is the underlying reason for many modern adjustments. From the Fantasyland Footpath Enlargement project (FLE), to the removal of benches and fountains that used to break up footpaths, to plans for an arcade next to MS, to the Brazilian wax of the hub, to the decidedly unmagical Big City Bus Parking next to the MK - buses must stop directly at the MK because the TTC/Monorail/Ferry couldn't possibly handle all those extra passengers, who miss out on the greatest show on property: the slow buildup to the MK, that magnificent opening act that other theme parks without the blessing of enormous size can only dream of.

The latest travesty seems to be the coming destruction of the hub for a concrete slab. From paradise to Soviet Bloc parade ground. :grumpy:

SpectroMan93

They wouldn't dare replace the hub with simply more room for foot traffic would they? I know TDO is almost heartless, but I really hope they wouldn't go as far as to surround the Partners statue with just concrete.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
How is them replacing existing concrete in the road a sign that they will rip out the greenery in the hub for more concrete?

This....

Do you know what the plans for the hub are? I saw a permit for this a couple weeks ago. With an the expiration date of 11/17/2015 and the contractor being Construction, this must be a big project.
MK Hub Hardscape Refresh

More capacity and more concrete. Maybe new waterway bridges. Hopefully the east MSUSA arcade too.

Last edited:

TTA94

I would like to think part of the reason for the hub redesign is for a new nighttime show... If they do anything with the water areas I hope they add fountains while they are at it :D.

Will the parade route in the hub remain the same?

NearTheEars

"Refresh" doesn't sound like a major overhaul, though.

Also, being a hardscape (roads, sidewalks) refresh sounds like replacement and maintenance of the current hardscape.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
"Refresh" doesn't sound like a major overhaul, though.

Also, being a hardscape (roads, sidewalks) refresh sounds like replacement and maintenance of the current hardscape.

I'll agree that "Refresh" doesn't sound like a big deal, but that fact that the permit lasts for 2 years, and the fact that in the contractor, along with what Martin said makes me believe that this is going to be a bigger project then a simple refresh.

Crazydisneyfanluke

maybe they are removing the stage?? I know DLP got their stage removed for Dreams.
I would hope the planters will stay in the hub. also, Could the parade route change to go through Fantasy-land? just a thought.

meyeet

The MK is overcrowded. It was designed to accomodate ten million visitors a year. It is now approaching eighteen. These near-eighteen spend more time in the park per day than before, back when there was only one park, or two, and you spend your five days at WDW alternating the parks with enjoying the resort, instead of five stresful days of commando go-go-go park-binging. And the MK had longer operating hours to boot.

The result is that the MK is twice as busy as it was build for. This has all sorts of repercussions, and is the underlying reason for many modern adjustments. From the Fantasyland Footpath Enlargement project (FLE), to the removal of benches and fountains that used to break up footpaths, to plans for an arcade next to MS, to the Brazilian wax of the hub, to the decidedly unmagical Big City Bus Parking next to the MK - buses must stop directly at the MK because the TTC/Monorail/Ferry couldn't possibly handle all those extra passengers, who miss out on the greatest show on property: the slow buildup to the MK, that magnificent opening act that other theme parks without the blessing of enormous size can only dream of.

The latest travesty seems to be the coming destruction of the hub for a concrete slab. From paradise to Soviet Bloc parade ground. :grumpy:
I agree with everything above. To add to this, maybe if Epcot, Hollywood Studios, and Animal Kingdom had more rides and attractions, the crowds at MK would have other options as well.

Crazydisneyfanluke

How about "laying pathways, stroller parking and viewing areas over existing foliage, flower beds and grass"?
NNNOOOOO!!!!
85d114f75cb51f698b0403f23e547969.jpg

Otamin

It's indeed very depressing.

But let's just hope idiots won't run the show for much longer.

Anyway here's the 2020 plans I managed to uncover, hopefully I don't get in trouble...

Ob9Q9wl.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom