Main Street U.S.A. concrete replacement project begins tomorrow

ToTBellHop

What a strange time of year to be digging replacing concrete..
I don't think so. Summer is a logical time for cosmetic refurbishments since they usually try to avoid closing rides and drastically affect capacity. When parks are open 365 days a year, refurbishment needs to be continuous. It makes tremendous sense to close attractions during the off season and do stuff like this when it's busy. It'd be a bit unfair to have countless rides closed in the off season AND construction walls everywhere for cosmetic work.

bubbles1812

Ooooooh. New concrete! This would be a project that would excite my dad. He likes to walk around and see where they have laid new sidewalk in my city. (No I'm not joking, but hey, he's still loveable anyways ;))

I would agree with @MerlinTheGoat. When I was there in February, it looked like it could use some work. And it does get a crazy amount of traffic every day. On a side note... cobblestone would be pretty cool. But at the same time, my college had it down its main walkway, and I can't tell you how many people I saw tripping and/or faceplanting all the way down because of it. Not sure it is the best choice for a theme park.

MerlinTheGoat

It's possible to have brick or cobblestone walkways with minimal uneven surfaces and cracks (bricks probably a better choice as cobblestones by their nature are usually bumpy). The Disneyland parks in Paris and Hong Kong have Main Street walkways with brick and they appear to be quite smooth and don't look like they are prone to causing tripping or bumpy rides with wheeled vehicles.

http://thehungryegghead.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/img_3106.jpg
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3419/3402627693_6544f3b31e_o.jpg

They just look so much better than concrete.

And yeah, probably requiring higher levels of upkeep. So that may be a troublesome mix with the notoriously maintenance challenged TDO.

ImagineerDude

I guess I think it would be better to do this after CaDCTP ends its run FOREVER before Festival of Fantasy? I agree it needs it and a brick or cobblestone Main Street would be really nice...it just seems like an odd time to do this...

rodserling27

This is good. Cracks in concrete are a pet peeve of mine. I like when MK looks fresh and lovely.
It is expected that later in the project there will be some disruption to parades.
Wondering if maybe MSEP, MISICI, and CaDCT might go dark for a week or so while they replace spots the parades won't be able to get around.

spectrodanny

It is expected that later in the project there will be some disruption to parades.

do we read that as "Celebrate A Dream Come True" twice a day on modified route between Frontierland and the hub?

Zman-ks

What a strange time of year to be digging replacing concrete..
75.gif

agreed....

wogwog

Ready for a surprise that is being included with the obvious necessary work? Lots of curbs are going away. Heard from a MK manager the curbs facing Town Square at the Emporium and Confectionary will be ripped out for sure. Maybe in other spots as well but he was not positive how much of the existing curb will go away. Think one giant ramp like they have at the corners. Harder and more expensive as well as more time consuming to do would be to flatten the sidewaks like in front of the Train Station or Castle.

My sarcastic opinion is that this is being done to keep the guests from walking off the curb and getting injured while walking around with their face buried in a dumb phone trying to make some part of My Magic Minus work or get a Fast Pass to COP. Evidently $3 billion spent on the MMM project did not include injury to guests.

Mickey_777

It also doesn't need to be real pavers. They could "stamp" a pattern into the concrete to make it look like pavers but without all the settling/loose paver issues of the real thing.

Real brick would be nice like they have out in Anaheim. If real brick isn't practical, then a stamped brick design could be nice. I absolutely loved the look of the brick at Disneyland.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom