Main Street Fountain Removal

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Since we have been frequent visitors to The Magic Kingdom for over forty years we have noticed that quiet areas (or even not so quiet areas) where you could sit down and relaxed have gradually disappeared. After all, someone sitting is not potentially spending money on refreshments, meals, or in the stores. Maybe they are considered to be jaming up the traffic flow if they are not moving along with the crowds.

I'm pretty sure its for traffic flow with MK being so crowded. They added a whole chock full of benches at DHS. If they were against sitting in principle, I don't think they would have done that.

draybook

Also, that area has always been pretty empty when we go. Of course, we might not go as much as some of you guys, but that's our own personal experience. The only time we've seen it crammed was in October at the end of the Sanderson sisters show when everyone was trying to go hit the bathrooms on the way out. Even then we just chilled at one of the empty Caseys tables and relaxed.

Instead of adding more and more bypasses and crap, how about they get those leads/managers off of their assets and direct traffic. I don't think we need to see any more groups of them walking along parade routes, chatting each other up.

draybook

By definition, bypasses do free up congested passages by providing... bypasses.

That's if you take out the people component. You know, seeing as how people seem to congest the walkways, thus creating the need for "bypasses". It's only a matter of time before they run out of space for bypasses. Managing the crowds would go a lot further. But hey, I'm just a logical kind of guy...

Disone

Dude, you brought it up. That makes it everyone's business.
Eh, I don't think that was the point of this post. Just because someone says they have use a restroom, does not really imply and invite to ask what they did in there. Now, back on topic, looks like this no temporary this time. Also, if they really do intend to start using this as an exit.... what does this mean for the potential of future night parades?

SteamboatJoe

Glad I got a couple of shots of it this past May.

20170513 (9).JPG 20170512 (183).JPG

tl77

That pathway does line up perfectly with the new Hub expansion path on the West Side of Main Street, and there's a mirror image path on the East Side of the Hub expansion that leads to the current Bypass, between the Plaza Restaurant and the Tomorrowland Terrace. It seems plausible that there could someday also be a West Side Bypass, but I don't know if removing that fountain alone is enough room for it. If you look at this aerial photo you can see there's nothing but concert sidewalk next to the Plaza Restaurant where the current Bypass is, it's just one big open walkway there, on the other side around the Fountain there are lots of little grassy areas that would need to go to open that area up to foot traffic. If the start removing all the bushes and landscaping around were the fountain used to be, then maybe you can start speculating about a second Bypass, but it could be that they simply removed the fountain so that parents with small kids and strollers could more easily get to the baby care building.
Aerial View hub.jpg

tl77

Notice how not only is the fountain gone, but part of the fenced off area behind it. Now it is a straight shot to the backstage gate instead of having to walk around to get to the bypass when they use it.
I'm staring to wonder if the removal of this fountain is in some way related to the return on the House of Magic facade on Main Street, because the "Original Main Street Bypass" was the Penny Arcade (which is #8 on this 1973 map) it had a main entrance on Main Street and a back entrance basically where this fountain is, but the House of Magic (#29) also had a main entrance off Main Street and a back exit into the Penny Arcade. So the original WDW "Penny Arcade" had a similar function to the Disneyland Paris "Arcades" that run behind their Main Street

I was hoping this new Theater they are going to build, would bring back some of the neat little shops from the original Main Street in new locations, maybe they'll do it on both sides of Main Street... the "Cinema" (#7) used to be an actual movie theater back then too
wdw1973mainstreet.jpg

hobovampire

Awwee the potty fountain. Where else will we stare into questionably dubious water while also being reminded of a quaint London park?

But hm! How curious!

hobovampire

Also, rookie question I know, but how will it be used as an effective bypass with the buildings there? Wouldn't they have to raze those to the ground first? Like remove the potties and such, especially since it was mentioned for parades, good heavens how on earth?

peter11435

Also, rookie question I know, but how will it be used as an effective bypass with the buildings there? Wouldn't they have to raze those to the ground first? Like remove the potties and such, especially since it was mentioned for parades, good heavens how on earth?
There is already a passage in place to get backstage.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom