Main Street Electrical Parade

SteamboatJoe

I tend to find whether one prefers MSEP or Spectro is often dependent on which one was running during your first trip to MK, especially if you were a kid on said trip. My first trip was '93 so I'm bias towards Spectro; didn't see MSEP until I was an adult. That said, honestly, I liked them both.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
I tend to find whether one prefers MSEP or Spectro is often dependent on which one was running during your first trip to MK, especially if you were a kid on said trip. My first trip was '93 so I'm bias towards Spectro; didn't see MSEP until I was an adult. That said, honestly, I liked them both.

exactly

Goofyernmost

Very true. That is the first one I saw and that is the one I preferred, but, I can't really believe that I am locked into that theory. The first time (and many subsequent times) I saw CoP it was with "Now is the Time". Loved that song and it had many real strong memories connected with my girls. However, I equally like "Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow" but, for an entirely different reason (not because it was the original). They both fit into my life at the time and therefore had redeeming qualities to the point of being a draw. Those two parades, mood wise, did not connect at all. MSEP was upbeat for me and Spectro was a massive downer.

geekza

I'll always deeply love the MSEP, but I realize it is completely out of nostalgic reasons. As a kid in the 1970's, the sound of Baroque Hoedown and the sight of Pete riding Elliott was the coolest thing on the planet. I did like Spectromagic the one time I got to see it. It seemed like a natural progression.

TwilightZone

How is Spectromagic boring? It actually fitted the nighttime atmosphere of MK.
It was kind of slow and not a lot of the floats were really that exciting or great. When I think of other night parades I can think of most of the floats. Spectro I can only remember one or two.

TTA94

I hope at D23 next year they announce a parade is coming for the 50th, but if they do I feel it will be very vaguely mixed in with a overall announcement that they are working on new entertainment enhancements, followed by their favorite line of (stay tuned to the Disney Parks blog).

fngoofy

I agree as well.... MSEP's music is better.

brb1006

Very true. That is the first one I saw and that is the one I preferred, but, I can't really believe that I am locked into that theory. The first time (and many subsequent times) I saw CoP it was with "Now is the Time". Loved that song and it had many real strong memories connected with my girls. However, I equally like "Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow" but, for an entirely different reason (not because it was the original). They both fit into my life at the time and therefore had redeeming qualities to the point of being a draw. Those two parades, mood wise, did not connect at all. MSEP was upbeat for me and Spectro was a massive downer.
I still don't understand how you find Spectro to be a downer or a funeral march.

note2001

Spectromagic was wonderful for pulling down the wait times on the rides. I remember the year my kids and I got on BTMRR 4 times in a row with no wait (climbing that queue the 4th time around was rough). I was never interested in Spectro as I hated the mime like faced characters and my kids didn't seem to enjoy the parade much either.

I'd love to see a new nighttime parade headed to the MK, but I think Disney is playing a game with holding off on anything until we get closer to 2021 and the 50th celebration to get more of the "WOW! Disney knows how to celebrate." effect.

Goofyernmost

I still don't understand how you find Spectro to be a downer or a funeral march.
I'm sure you don't or you wouldn't like it as much as you do. It is simple for me, if compared one is very upbeat and fun the other may have a few nice float in it, but, to me it was morbid. I apparently saw those white faced "marchers" to be, for a lack of a better word, spooky. I didn't see where they fit in with what was supposed to be a fun evening parade and the music, in any other location, might be great, but combined with the other stuff just struck me as funeral like. I don't think I was the only one that felt that way, and many probably weren't even really in touch with why they felt less then excited about it, but, that was what I saw, what I felt and I think that what I saw was a legitimate feeling. If you didn't see it, you probably never will, but, that is your right. I'm not trying to talk you into it, just tell you how it made me feel.

note2001

The primary theme behind Paint the night is obviously based on a tune in Wreck it Ralph, with other tunes mixed in on top for each float, but it's worth acknowledging that the writers paid homage to the MSEP theme quite frequently throughout the parade. Listen carefully as some of the floats transition in and out and you'll hear those familiar notes, perhaps played a little faster than we recall, but no doubt they're there.

VJ

Yeah I felt spectromagic to be the most boring of the state parades, as well as the most boring of the around the world parades and not the best night parade overall. The best night parades, worldwide, IMO are the ones from japan

dreamlights
and

fantillusion

Honestly, it's hard to beat the music of Fantillusion!. Bruce Healey is a musical genius.

TTA94

The primary theme behind Paint the night is obviously taken from Wreck it Ralph, with other tunes mixed in on top for each float, but it's worth acknowledging that the writers paid homage to the MSEP theme quite frequently throughout the parade. Listen carefully as some of the floats transition in and out and you'll hear those familiar notes, perhaps played a little faster than we recall, but not doubt they're there.

I wonder if the Hong Kong show stop music was ever considered to be used as the main music? Would have needed to be changed up of course with additional lyrics and such but it might have worked, and IMO would have been a better choice than “When Can We Do This Again” which has nothing to do with “Painting The Night”. Usually in parades the parade name is part of the lyrics.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom