Main Street Electrical Parade

erasure fan1

Just playing Devil's Advocate here. I hear a lot of folks saying they don't want clones in WDW, but why not?
Cloned rides don't bother me because a good ride is a good ride. I get why people are against it, they want new original rides. But the only other park I even have a chance to see is Disneyland, so I'll take any great ride I can get at WDW.

geekza

Cloned rides don't bother me because a good ride is a good ride. I get why people are against it, they want new original rides. But the only other park I even have a chance to see is Disneyland, so I'll take any great ride I can get at WDW.
That's how I feel, too. My life would have been a lot sadder had I not been able to experience the Haunted Mansion growing up. Same for Pirates, although I was super-jealous of the Disneyland version once I grew up and found out how different and how much longer it is.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Unique rides/parades = Reasons to visit other parks. Cloning rides, while I understand why they do it, homogenizes those parks more and gives people fewer reasons to experience other parks. In the case of PotC, which was "cloned" around the world, you get a different experience with each, and thus a reason to visit each park. Soarin'... not so much, outside of the queues being different. IASM seems quite similar, but how different can it really get? I sincerely wish we had visited DL years before we finally did in 2016. It's an amazing experience that really puts WDW into a different light, for me at least.

TTA94

Hmm well while not surprising Soundsational is said to be returning around the first of 2019. I wonder what this means for PPP? Maybe they just “borrowed” parts from MSEP and will put it back together once PPP ends? lol.

geekza

Unique rides/parades = Reasons to visit other parks. Cloning rides, while I understand why they do it, homogenizes those parks more and gives people fewer reasons to experience other parks.
While that's true, most folks will never be able to visit more than one park. It's not exactly cheap to visit a single park, much less afford to travel to the others. People who get to visit more than one park are a tiny minority of the total number of guests at any park.

Kman101

PTN belongs in California, and it fits quite well in its new home. And I'm of the opinion that WDW these days needs original parades, not more borrowed-from-DL parades. MSEP was fine for it's first MK run, and that should have been it.

Well, I think it goes without saying they need and we all want an original parade. But will they is the question? ... Didn't @MansionButler84 suggest at one point a clone was still not out of the question? But let's hope we get an original one.

If, sadly, we do get a clone of PTN, it belongs in DHS. Would kind of be a nice change to have a night parade in DHS. Just looking at "best case scenario" here if we do end up with a clone ... lol. Of course the absolute best case would be a thematically fitting night parade rolling down Main Street USA. But we'll see ...

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
While that's true, most folks will never be able to visit more than one park. It's not exactly cheap to visit a single park, much less afford to travel to the others. People who get to visit more than one park are a tiny minority of the total number of guests at any park.

Which is funny, because for repeat visitors, for what you spend going to WDW you could easily visit DL. But we all know that WDW doesn't market to repeat visitors, only the first-time rubes.

KBLovedDisney

Feel like we need a nighttime parade dedicated to the older generation of Disney.

Add some nice LED effects, make it somewhat [original] Fantasia dedicated along with other notable classic Disney film works from way back when and some Disney renaissance and boom!

Disney Imagination Nighttime Spectacular! Or DINS for short.

brb1006

Feel like we need a nighttime parade dedicated to the older generation of Disney.

Add some nice LED effects, make it somewhat [original] Fantasia dedicated along with other notable classic Disney film works from way back when and some Disney renaissance and boom!

Disney Imagination Nighttime Spectacular! Or DINS for short.
Don't forget Disney films from the 1960's and 1970's.

Last edited:

geekza

Which is funny, because for repeat visitors, for what you spend going to WDW you could easily visit DL. But we all know that WDW doesn't market to repeat visitors, only the first-time rubes.
It really depends on where you live, considering the cost of airfare. They certainly don't have any hotels that are as inexpensive as some WDW hotels, at least Disney-owned ones. I looked at going to Disneyland instead of WDW this time, but it was going to be substantially more expensive for us to do so.

Kman101

It really depends on where you live, considering the cost of airfare. They certainly don't have any hotels that are as inexpensive as some WDW hotels, at least Disney-owned ones. I looked at going to Disneyland instead of WDW this time, but it was going to be substantially more expensive for us to do so.

It definitely depends on where you live. Flying out of say Melbourne, FL to California isn't cheap. It depends on the airport too. Orlando to SNA can be reasonably priced (though go into LAX and it's more expensive). But it's double from MLB to SNA. It's interesting and I kind of have fun seeing the varying prices. (I've been pricing out a Disneyland trip for this year). And I'm looking for one, maybe two people. I can't imagine forking out airfare for a whole family! It can get pricey.

Always good to explore all options. I've also seen people say the same about Tokyo. It's just dependant on someone's own situation and their location.

brb1006

Send that note to WDW management ;)
And yeah, sure the only Disney animated films from the 1960's and 1970's that gotten representation nowadays is usually the Pooh characters, 101 Dalmations with Cruella, and some of the characters from Robin Hood if your lucky. But the foreign parks at least give spotlight to Disney's lesser known or popular such as The Aristocats, some of the characters from The Three Caballeros (Besides Panchito, Jose and Donald), and Bianca and Bernard from The Rescuers. For a brief period, characters from Oliver and Company and The Great Mouse Detective were seen in older shows at WDW and DL during the late 80's and early to mid 90's and that's about it.

These days, Disney prefers to focus on their most popular films of the 1990's, their recent hits, and classics made during the beginning of Disney Animation Studios and spinkle in some Pixar at both DL and WDW. There was a time when Disney used to give more variety to their lesser known and past films.

Kman101

And yeah, sure the only Disney animated films from the 1960's and 1970's that gotten representation nowadays is usually the Pooh characters, 101 Dalmations with Cruella, and some of the characters from Robin Hood if your lucky. But the foreign parks at least give spotlight to Disney's lesser known or popular such as The Aristocats, some of the characters from The Three Caballeros (Besides Panchito, Jose and Donald), and Bianca and Bernard from The Rescuers. For a brief period, characters from Oliver and Company and The Great Mouse Detective were seen in older shows at WDW and DL during the late 80's and early to mid 90's and that's about it.

These days, Disney prefers to focus on their most popular films of the 1990's, their recent hits, and classics made during the beginning of Disney Animation Studios and spinkle in some Pixar at both DL and WDW. There was a time when Disney used to give more variety to their lesser known and past films.

Other parks still do. It seems to be a WDW thing. "Eww, old". I mean who in the world ever would have thought Pinocchio would be a "rare" character. LOL

Tokyo DisneySea has Bernard and Miss Bianca out for heavens sake! Not to mention the Pinocchio crew (just to name a few).

WDW lacks in entertainment and characters compared to elsewhere. Funny considering how visited it is.

They still have characters unreachable on floats (Edna Mode anyone? Yet couldn't guests easily meet her at DCA?) ... I guess they do it so "everyone" can see these popular characters but seriously. They waited quite a while to even bother giving Olaf a meet and greet ... The just don't want to deal with lines. But you have long lines because you make characters "rare" or unreachable, so when they are, you get a massive massive line. They don't quite get it. It's like they panicked after Anna and Elsa got hours-long waits. They use the Villains thing as another reason, but that was poor management (and allowing too many guests in). That was a direct result of villains being "rare". Maybe if more were available, they could have done the party without mass chaos. They create their own demand, but then act shocked when guests line up for hours to meet certain characters.

brb1006

Other parks still do. It seems to be a WDW thing. "Eww, old". I mean who in the world ever would have thought Pinocchio would be a "rare" character. LOL

Tokyo DisneySea has Bernard and Miss Bianca out for heavens sake! Not to mention the Pinocchio crew (just to name a few).

WDW lacks in entertainment and characters compared to elsewhere. Funny considering how visited it is.

They still have characters unreachable on floats (Edna Mode anyone? Yet couldn't guests easily meet her at DCA?) ... I guess they do it so "everyone" can see these popular characters but seriously. They waited quite a while to even bother giving Olaf a meet and greet ... The just don't want to deal with lines. But you have long lines because you make characters "rare" or unreachable, so when they are, you get a massive massive line. They don't quite get it. It's like they panicked after Anna and Elsa got hours-long waits. They use the Villains thing as another reason, but that was poor management (and allowing too many guests in). That was a direct result of villains being "rare". Maybe if more were available, they could have done the party without mass chaos. They create their own demand, but then act shocked when guests line up for hours to meet certain characters.
Glad I'm not the only person who raised an eyebrow when I learned Pinocchio is now considered a "Rare character" after Long Lost Friends Week from a few years. I remember one of the only times Marie from The Aristocats and Clarice from the Chip N Dale short "Two Chips And A Miss" was spotted at Disneyland was Dancing With Disney from 2012-2014, the reopening of the Disneyland Train, and sometimes during the exact day of Disneyland's Opening. I still remember a time when characters from Pinocchio, some of the characters from Robin Hood, and The Seven Dwarfs were common meetable characters at WDW. Nowadays they are only seen during a private event, DVC parties, and Halloween or Christmas events.

Last edited:

Kman101

Glad I'm not the only person who raised an eyebrow when I learned Pinocchio is now considered a "Rare character" after Long Lost Friends Week from a few years. I remember one of the only times Marie from The Aristocats and Clarice from the Chip N Dale short "Two Chips And A Miss" was spotted at Disneyland was Dancing With Disney from 2012-2014, the reopening of the Disneyland Train, and sometimes during the exact day of Disneyland's Opening. I still a time remember when characters from Pinocchio, some of the characters from Robin Hood, and The Seven Dwarfs were common meetable characters at WDW. Nowadays they are only seen during a private event, DVC parties, and Halloween or Christmas events.

Whoever does the Moonlight Magic parties for DVC in the parks gets it right. Personally.

I mean, look at what was offered for photo pass day this year? Characters that just had a meet and greet cut ...

Br'er Fox and Bear used to both be out. Same for Hook and Smee. That's been probably 10 years now but they were. Now they're "rare villains". Why not have Br'er Rabbit out every day? The, you know, "mascot" of the ride, so to speak. But, no.

At least they have the Country Bears out roaming and meeting (do they still?)

brb1006

The most recent DVC party at Epcot actually had Edna meeting guests who are members of Disney Vacation Club. Don't get me started with Judy and Nick from Zootopia being common at DCA at Disneyland but WDW took a very long time for the two to finally be meetable with guests until the Christmas Party from a few years ago.

Last edited:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

Fair points. I live in MN, and (un)fortunately we aren't more than 2000 miles from either coast, so the plane ride is 3-4 hours, tops, depending on which coast we're going to. I say "unfortunately" because that also means we rarely get to fly on wide-body aircraft, because those are typically reserved for longer routes.

We didn't stay on-site (Homewood Suites in Garden Grove), and I think we did the 15 minute walk to the east security checkpoint more than we rode the ART buses. There are ways to visit DL without breaking the bank, and it probably takes less effort than planning ADR's and FastPasses for WDW. :eek: ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom