Main Street Electrical Parade

brb1006

Here's a video for those that prefer the classic version.

After seeing this video, there's something about the old lighting of Cinderella Castle that was very charming compared to how it looks nowadays.
51cadc7b0e9b352df27f5b96bc10bb63--colour-changing-lights-famous-castles.jpg

Kman101

Here's a video for those that prefer the classic version.

After seeing this video, there's something about the old lighting of Cinderella Castle that was very charming compared to how it looks nowadays.
51cadc7b0e9b352df27f5b96bc10bb63--colour-changing-lights-famous-castles.jpg

They really have done a good job at sucking out a lot of the charm.

rodserling27

Horrific to hear that the legendary original MSEP has been basically scrapped. Almost as bad as what happened to Spectro.

The way I see it, Disney should either:
A. Develop a Dreamlights style version of MSEP for MK.
or
B. Develop a Dreanligths style version of SpectroMagic for MK.

Why not something new? Because I thought Paint The Night was horrendous. The music gives me a pounding headache and sounds like generic pop ripping off Baroque Hoedown (because it is!). And the whole parade lacked humanity, heart, and imagination. I can't stand screens and there was no charm to its design. Very cold. So therefore, I don't trust the current team to give me something as worthwhile as Spectro or MSEP. Nothing was wrong with either of these parades, so why not just make them better? Just improve what you already know works, for crying out loud. The don't rebuild the entire Haunted Mansion every time it gets a refurb, so why do that with these parades? Man oh man, Tokyo has it all figured out...

brb1006

Horrific to hear that the legendary original MSEP has been basically scrapped. Almost as bad as what happened to Spectro.

The way I see it, Disney should either:
A. Develop a Dreamlights style version of MSEP for MK.
or
B. Develop a Dreamlights style version of SpectroMagic for MK.

Why not something new? Because I thought Paint The Night was horrendous. The music gives me a pounding headache and sounds like generic pop ripping off Baroque Hoedown (because it is!). And the whole parade lacked humanity, heart, and imagination. I can't stand screens and there was no charm to its design. Very cold. So therefore, I don't trust the current team to give me something as worthwhile as Spectro or MSEP. Nothing was wrong with either of these parades, so why not just make them better? Just improve what you already know works, for crying out loud. The don't rebuild the entire Haunted Mansion every time it gets a refurb, so why do that with these parades? Man oh man, Tokyo has it all figured out...
Disney should go with Point B, after all Spectromagic was referred as the "Anti-MSEP" by imagineers and people who worked on the people and for good reason.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Main problem with "electric light parades" is the idea that the music needs to be "electric", too.

Please, no more Casio keyboards, high pitched orchestrations, buzzes, whirls, chirps, slide whistles, beeps and boops, or any sort of gimmicky music.

The music of Festival of Fantasy and HEA and some of the international parades show how you can have high quality music that's rich in orchestration and not gimmicky and not bound to a repeating 32 bar 3-chord progression.

You don't need the music to sound like it's coming from a Fischer-Price toddler's keyboard and xylophone to capture kids' attention.

That being said, if you really, really want to do 'electric' music, there's a whole genre of electronic trance and mood that has a full sound and orchestration that doesn't sound like it was recorded on the Moog.

brb1006

Main problem with "electric light parades" is the idea that the music needs to be "electric", too.

Please, no more Casio keyboards, high pitched orchestrations, buzzes, whirls, chirps, slide whistles, beeps and boops, or any sort of gimmicky music.

The music of Festival of Fantasy and HEA and some of the international parades show how you can have high quality music that's rich in orchestration and not gimmicky and not bound to a repeating 32 bar 3-chord progression.

You don't need the music to sound like it's coming from a Fischer-Price toddler's keyboard and xylophone to capture kids' attention.

That being said, if you really, really want to do 'electric' music, there's a whole genre of electronic trance and mood that has a full sound and orchestration that doesn't sound like it was recorded on the Moog.
Took the word right out of my mouth, the original MSEP music was perfect for the 70's and 80's since that was considered revolutionary at the time. Since Tokyo Disneyland's Dreamlights debuted in 2001, it makes the orignal version look not as impressive since Tokyo's soundtrack plussed the MSEP parade score. When it was brought over to the US Disney Parks, it didn't mash up well since the floats are very old and the lighting tecnology was also old. The only newer technology added to MSEP was the pixie dust effect and the projection on the Caterpiller's face.

TTA94

One of the big things I loved about Spectro was the fog effect at the bottom of the Mickey float :) and the Fantasia floats. That’s one of the things that PTN lacks, as well as smaller floats.

spectrodanny

I miss MSEP. Not constructive but true nonetheless.
I do too, HOPEFULLY if it comes back they'll correct the closing announcement. as a die-hard fan of MSEP, I was surprised that they shortned the closing announcement in the 2017 run (instead of saying "Disneyland's Main Street Electrical Parade" it was just "The Main Street Electrical Parade, like all they simply did was borrow the last 4 words from the opening announcement.

Goofyernmost

If WDW gets a new parade for the 50th they really need to rebuild there storage buildings and have a place to maintain floats better
If you took the backstage tour back a while ago you would see that they have a huge building where the floats are stored and maintained. If they stored Spectro in someplace other then that, then frankly, they weren't trying to keep it in good shape and were indeed encouraging its demise.

raymusiccity

Dream lights parade at Tokyo Disneyland should be the new standard.

It's a shame that so many visitors to the Magic Kingdom are missing out on what was a magical way to end their day. :( The bare minimum standard should be a nighttime parade. Dust one off and roll it down Main Street. We'll even volunteer to help carry it, like they did at Universal Studios....C'mon Disney and throw us a crumb !

brb1006

I would take any of those over what we have right now. My night-time parade withdrawals have gotten so bad that I start to get excited when I see someone walking down Main Street at night wearing light-up Mickey Ears!
I remember one time, guests we heard chanting "Bring Back Spectromagic" during before the final performance of MSEP at WDW a couple years ago. I think there's a video of that somewhere.

mm52200

If WDW gets a new parade for the 50th they really need to rebuild there storage buildings and have a place to maintain floats better
WDW has plenty of storage, not sure if you’ve been back there or not. They kept DEP, MiSi, FoF, and holiday floats back there sufficiently.
The problem was when DEP came and then they put Spectro in temporary storage which led to its demise.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom