Main Street Changes

speck76

steve2wdw said:
I've always thought that a dark ride on Main Street would be the perfect addition. The ride vehicles could be turn of the century cars ("Toad-ish") and the story could be a visit to Walt's hometown in Missouri with a Walt Disney history behind it. Kind of a One Man's Dream on wheels. It would attract the kids because it's a ride and it would have a history lesson along with it. There's lots of space between Main St. and TL for the addition of a show building and Center Street would make the perfect entrance and use the Main St. Cinema as the exit and get the movies playing again. Thoughts anyone?

Main Street is the only guest entry and exit from the park.......any attraction would just lead to additional congestion

mkepcotmgmak

steve2wdw said:
I've always thought that a dark ride on Main Street would be the perfect addition. The ride vehicles could be turn of the century cars ("Toad-ish") and the story could be a visit to Walt's hometown in Missouri with a Walt Disney history behind it. Kind of a One Man's Dream on wheels. It would attract the kids because it's a ride and it would have a history lesson along with it. There's lots of space between Main St. and TL for the addition of a show building and Center Street would make the perfect entrance and use the Main St. Cinema as the exit and get the movies playing again. Thoughts anyone?

that's a great idea! good thinking! :wave:

PhotoDave219

tirian said:
They are updating the wiring inside the old toy store, and doing so requires that they run it through the stockroom (which is where I saw them doing work).

And they're updating the wiring in the toy store because it's going back onstage.

*yawn* I'm tired of replying to the same question repeatedly. I'm going to sleep now. Good night. :D

Then where is DPI moving? Because DPI uses that store as their base.

WDWFREAK12

Wait!

Woa, woa, woa will this go into 2006 summer, if so please tell because that is the time me and many other people are going to disney and would mess it up with no main street!

MKCP 1985

MKCP's wish list for Main Street USA refurb:

5. Return of "The Magic Shop."

4. Dedicated Store on Center Street for "Vault Disney" DVDs including everything from Steamboat Willie to original Disney Channel programming

3. Center Street fruit cups and cotton candy. :slurp:

2. Private club dining (think Club 33) replacing the Plaza Restaurant. Primo priority seating would include balcony seating for viewing parades and fireworks shows. (But how to preserve the forced perspective illusion with live persons dining above the pedestrians is for the imagineers to figure out.)

and

1. "Walt's Apartment" in upstairs of the Fire Station. While Walt's apartment was actually at Disneyland, this would be a reproduction, accessible by stairs.

There, some old, some new, something for everybody.

MKCP 1985

DisneyRoxMySox said:
Did the Old Cinema ever have a big stage? I seem to remember a stage and I got to go up and meet Mickey Mouse. Can anyone verify that? :confused:
I believe you are thinking of an area inside the big expo hall opposite City Hall. In the 90s, you could meet Mickey Mouse there, on a stage.

MSTINKHERBELL01

MKCP 1985 said:
MKCP's wish list for Main Street USA refurb:

2. Private club dining (think Club 33) replacing the Plaza Restaurant. Primo priority seating would include balcony seating for viewing parades and fireworks shows. (But how to preserve the forced perspective illusion with live persons dining above the pedestrians is for the imagineers to figure out.)

NOOOOOOOOO! I love the PLAZA....:mad: . It stays!!!!

Oh' Have a Magical Day :wave:

MKCP 1985

eh, the Plaza in its current configuration doesn't make many top ten lists. Wait 'til you try my new and improved restaurant. You will forget all about that obscure former restaurant on Main Street. :p

Logan5

Space mountain refurb>

i think they should leave one of the tracks inside exactly the same and make a brand new second track that could be an all new coaster. and improve the special affects.

Sergeant Tibbs

tirian said:
Imagineers and engineers were in the Center Street niche on Main Street yesterday (the 22nd), pointing out areas and going through a list. According to one Main Street CM, the old Toy Store will open again soon; the stockroom is reportedly already full of toys. Based on what she heard this morning, another attraction (possibly a restaurant or a small B-ticket) is also being considered. Imagineers apparently want to lure people onto Center Street.

Additional rumors: The Train Station refurb is part of a larger-scale refurb that will eventually restore Main Street. Many Tomorrowland CMs are reporting that their managers have confirmed that WDW's Space Mountain will go down for a Disneyland-style refurb soon. This was supposedly also on the in-house Cast Portal for a few hours on July 17th, but quickly removed.

Well, if nothing else, the Main Street makover is certainly true!
cool, is spacemountain supposed to close soon? I hope not , i went to disneyland and didnt get to ride it, I havent ridden it in a few years:(

Sergeant Tibbs

Logan5 said:
i think they should leave one of the tracks inside exactly the same and make a brand new second track that could be an all new coaster. and improve the special affects.
To add on your comment i think they should leave one track open while the other is being refurbished so can get a chance to ride it;)

Mission: SPACE

Not to be rude or sound like a jerk, but let me just say that Tomorrowland Attractions CMs have hardly any contact with their management, nor do the managers make smalltalk with them about improvements in the area.

In addition to that, a lot of the Tomorrowland managers are being replaced, from what I hear... Maybe some of them have been forced to move to other companies...

DarkMeasures

From what I have seen of the Space Mountain Disneyland rehab, I would mind something like that for the WDW version. But what I would really like to see is another major rehab for the whole land. I mean CoP and Timekeeper are almost doomed. Stitch may get lines but I heard it is very problematic. The Speedway is ugly. The only 2 good Tommorowland attractions remaining are Space Mountain and the TTA.

TLandGuy

tirian said:
Additional rumors: The Train Station refurb is part of a larger-scale refurb that will eventually restore Main Street. Many Tomorrowland CMs are reporting that their managers have confirmed that WDW's Space Mountain will go down for a Disneyland-style refurb soon.
I hate to be the one with the bad news, but Space has only been rumored to go down for Technical Changes.

NeedABreak

I JUST HAD A GREAT IDEA!!!

Ok, maybe its not all that good... But it's not bad.

Tell me what you think:

Just about everyone wants the cinema back, right? And just about everybody is really interested to see what kind of B- ticket could be squeazed into Main St. Combine the two!

The old cinema, back the way it was, but now the area where you could watch steamboat willie is turned into a queue area, which leads to a Mr. Toad's wild ride style attraction or some sort of simulator. The ride takes you through memorable moments in Mickey cartoons and moves cronologicly forward showing the evolution of the character. At the end you are deposited into a gift shop with the latest Mickey gear.

Get it? Old to New! Maybe its dumb.. I'm not sure but it sounds cool to me.

a2grafix

NeedABreak said:
I JUST HAD A GREAT IDEA!!!

Ok, maybe its not all that good... But it's not bad.

Tell me what you think:

Just about everyone wants the cinema back, right? And just about everybody is really interested to see what kind of B- ticket could be squeazed into Main St. Combine the two!

The old cinema, back the way it was, but now the area where you could watch steamboat willie is turned into a queue area, which leads to a Mr. Toad's wild ride style attraction or some sort of simulator. The ride takes you through memorable moments in Mickey cartoons and moves cronologicly forward showing the evolution of the character. At the end you are deposited into a gift shop with the latest Mickey gear.

Get it? Old to New! Maybe its dumb.. I'm not sure but it sounds cool to me.

Just like the Great Movie Ride at MGM but only themed with audio animatronic historical Disney cartoons through the ages?

a2grafix

Oh, was wondering if anyone knows when Main Street sort of went down hill? Last time I was at WDW was in August 1993, so it has been a while. When did the change start to take place?

Why did the changes in the storefronts take place? Society and technology?

So when was the cinema that showed Steamboat Willie taken out? When did the magic shop close its doors? When did the side street with its seasons of change and white cart (fall, winter, spring, summer) close down?

Are the windows in some of storefronts near the fire station still decorated with the latest Disney movie scenes? I remember the windows changed every so often with the "new" movie out -- Fox and the Hound, The Lion King, Mulan, Tarzan, etc. Last time I saw a moveable window front was in June 1999 at Disneyland -- Tarzan.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom