Main Street Bakery to Serve Starbucks Coffee

SpecialAgentK

I've been on a few cross-country road-trips and have come across many towns without Starbucks. It's rough to drive for miles and miles and miles and just want some coffee and there's nowhere but Ye Olde Espresso and Milkshakes stand that just closed an hour ago. I can get why Starbucks on Main Street would be really popular. I have 3 stores within walking distance right now but I really want to go to that one!

And sadly the calories in the caramel ribbon crunch frapp have convinced me to avoid them. Though I think I have a free drink reward I'm gonna use to splurge on a Venti one this weekend before they all go away!

wogwog

Poked my head in the so called Bakery several times today and never saw much of a line. No line out the door at all. The indoor queue handled the incoming guests. That being said, the guests waiting for delivery of their order was quite a crowd. Maybe that is the normal operation at a SB. This is the first one I have ever been inside of as I never have liked coffee so I can't judge.

As far all the comments about it being a blot on MSUSA it is simply one more in a long line of bad changes in the name of profit and crowd issues. It won't be the last. We used to have all day trolley cars. All day vehicles and Omnibus. But the crowd levels blocking the street make all of those impossible to have on the street. They still have them all day at Disneyland but Disneyland does not have the stage in front of the castle blocking the street multiple times a day or the awful "Move it shake it celebrate it" embarrassment that belongs at Hollywood Studios.

It is not going to be again the way it used to be. Lot of business MBA types making the decisions these days and not enough dreamers. Too many visitors and too much money to be made.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I'm not sure that they ever had a baking ability at that location. I had read someplace that all the baking or a very large percentage of it was done at the properties central bakery and then shipped to Main Street. Can you imagine how hot it would be in there if they had ovens running all day. What you could smell outside was piped out there with Disneys make believe odor machine.

my thoughts exactly... I don't know the details.. but I have a hard time thinking they made all their food there on main street :)

RSoxNo1

However, the Fountain View will inexplicably start selling fresh baked cinnamon rolls. :) Only from 5:04p - 5:09p on every other Thursday. Also, the site doesn't have pictures of the new napkins?! And you call yourself a Disney site?!?!
At further glance it appears that the napkins are plain white.

Tim_4

No, I'm saying it looks like a Starbucks counter has been crammed into a Main Street building. I have no particular problem with them serving Starbucks, even if I don't particularly like their coffee. But I think the execution here is off. It's like they couldn't decide if it should continue to look like the Main Street Bakery, or look like a Starbucks - so instead you get both.
*Shrug.* I guess a hybrid between Main Street Bakery and a Starbucks seems to me a pretty reasonable appearance for, you know, a Starbucks in the Main Street Bakery.
Problem is outdoor seating is not good when it is 94F outside like it was today, or when a typical Florida rainstorm is in progress.

I have had the pleasure to listen to Marty Sklar give several presentations and he always stresses the importance of 'meet the needs of the people'. WDI's latest quick service at MK (Bakery and Gaston's) do not meet the needs of the people very well in my opinion.
I think you're extremely wrong in that assumption. I'm guessing the ratio of people who want a Starbucks coffee in MK to those looking for a cinnamon roll is about 10 to 1 in almost every population of people except this one.

Tim_4

We sell the whole bean Starbucks coffee mainly for resort guests who would like better coffee in their resort room. The VIA is for those who want the caffeine on the go, since all you need is a bottled water (if you get the refreshers or iced coffee). So don't expect this merchandise to disappear
Merch discount for cast members?

nytimez

*Shrug.* I guess a hybrid between Main Street Bakery and a Starbucks seems to me a pretty reasonable appearance for, you know, a Starbucks in the Main Street Bakery.

I don't want "pretty reasonable." I want the "Disney Difference."

I've heard a lot of different definitions and explanations of that difference over the years, but "pretty reasonable" was never one of them.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member

I've heard a lot of different definitions and explanations of that difference over the years, but "pretty reasonable" was never one of them.
Agreed. Ticket prices are higher than "pretty reasonable" so guest experience should be higher. I can go to Starbucks at my local Target store. It won't make my trip any more magical to order the same pre packaged coffee cake at WDW that I can get a mile from my house any day of the week.

ParentsOf4

When building Disneyland, Walt Disney wanted the park to be the best it could be. He was supposed to have said "That's not good enough for them" or "They'll expect something better" every time he disapproved of something, Disneyland's future guests always in the forefront of his mind.

The current company seems to settle for "good enough".

It's the difference between Walt Disney and The Walt Disney Company.

Tim_4

Not "pretty reasonable" quality. "Pretty reasonable" choice of theme. I was talking about the direction they went, not the quality thereof. I think the quality is spot on, with a dramatic improvement in the product itself. Dramatic.

nytimez

I think the quality is spot on, with a dramatic improvement in the product itself. Dramatic.

I don't dispute that Starbucks is far better than Nescafe. I don't particularly like Starbucks, but I'd take it over Nescafe, no hesitation.

But I disagree on the quality of the work at the location, at least based on the photos. They've done better. They could've done better here. They didn't. They went for "pretty reasonable," whether you meant the phrase that way or not.

alissafalco

If the Starbucks products on MSUSA (mugs, beans, etc) had park specific disney/starbucks packaging I definitely would have bought some of that merchandise for gifts, but since it is the same exact merchandise that I can get anywhere I will not be buying any merch there. It's too bad because that would have been a good gift to bring home for friends/relatives.

The Empress Lilly

Are y'all seriously saying this place looks like every other Starbucks in the country? What do y'all's local Starbucks look like? Mine surely don't look anything like this.
Well...I'll be hanging out in this Starbucks all weekend long. :)

p1030161.jpg

post_display_open-uri20130521-29071-6jymz3

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom