Main Street Bakery to Serve Starbucks Coffee

The Empress Lilly

Why would I want to eat at Casey's? I can make hot dogs at home. Why would I want ice cream on Main Street? I have the same brand in my freezer. Why would I want to shop in any store on property? I have a Disney store at my mall. Why would I want to ride Space Mountain? There's wild mouse coasters at the local amusement park.

I've got neither a Casey's, nor a Space Mountain, nor a Barber Quartet near my house.

A Starbucks, yes, that I do have.

We all go to WDW for the uniqueness of Space and Casey, but not for the homogenised experiences. Speaking of which, here is the very designer of Casey's Corner speaking about the difference between unique and Starbucks. The artist explains my points better than I can - if only because it's his points I have been arguing:
to me Starbucks symbolizes the homogenization of cities and emerged as a recent brand unlike Coca Cola and Kodak. No matter how much you theme it, it's iconic. Like putting a McDonald's in the Sahara on an Oasis. The symbolism is bigger than the product, "it's everywhere". You cannot escape today's urban world even if you pay admission. I know and agree that guests will love it. They don't care. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, but I just want to escape to another world and have unique experiences.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Oi, it is a to a large extent simply a matter of personal taste. I also find Splash very intrusive in the MK, and perfectly located in DL. Others may think otherwise. It's all not an exact science, but a matter of personal experience, fantasy and projection on the themed environment. Your MS is very different from mine, even if physically it is the same!
Definitely true. Everyone has their own ideas of what works and doesn't work.
by responding you all just keep enabling...
Nah, sometimes that is true, but in this case nobody is trolling or being inappropriate. Just a debate amongst friends. Although we are on different sides on this issue I respect @The Empress Lilly's opinions on this matter and admire his passion for the parks.

Californian Elitist

Getting Starbucks inside Disney is unique, in my opinion. There's a difference between ordering Starbucks from here:

K7PB_new_marietta_starbucks_08.jpg

And ordering Starbucks from here:

7360412374_31b0d4e032_c.jpg

flynnibus

Premium Member
Nah, sometimes that is true, but in this case nobody is trolling or being inappropriate. Just a debate amongst friends.

If you haven't come to agreement after 1400+ posts... and with no new information.. but rather just rehashing the same old info over and over...

luv

So long as it isn't ugly and out of place, I have no problem with Starbucks.

I do miss all the uniqueness of Main Street that slowly disappeared over the years as it turned into just shopping and dining.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
If you haven't come to agreement after 1400+ posts... and with no new information.. but rather just rehashing the same old info over and over...

You've been around here long enough to know that is just par for the course:). The Carsland in DHS thread is over 250 pages and hasn't had new relevant information in 50+ pages.

The Empress Lilly

We discuss Disney because we enjoy discussing Disney. I enjoy blabbering on and on about Main Street with Goof and raven24 and Englanddg and Parentsof4 and Tigger and etc. It's fun.

We don't expect to reach an agreement. To what end anyway? To formally announce to TWDC that 'We, the foamers, in order to form a more perfect WDW, have, at long last, come to the following agreement regarding the Magic Kingdom's food and beverage policy'?

No. All we expect to agree about is an appreciation of civilised debate, if at all possible, with a sense of lighthearted humour too. It's like a game of football in the park. It never ends, there wil never be a winner. Nor should there be. The goal is the fun of the game itself.

Why don't you join in too?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
We discuss Disney because we enjoy discussing Disney. I enjoy blabbering on and on about Main Street with Goof and raven24 and Englanddg and Parentsof4 and Tigger and etc. It's fun.

We don't expect to reach an agreement. To what end anyway? To formally announce to TWDC that 'We, the foamers, in order to form a more perfect WDW, have, at long last, come to the following agreement regarding the Magic Kingdom's food and beverage policy'?

No. All we expect to agree about is an appreciation of civilised debate, if at all possible, with a sense of lighthearted humour too. It's like a game of football in the park. It never ends, there wil never be a winner. Nor should there be. The goal is the fun of the game itself.

Why don't you join in too?

The only thing we all pretty much mutually agreed on was that Splash Mountain was in bad shape and desperately needed to be fixed. Once we all agreed on that they fixed it. Maybe we have more power than we think;)

The Empress Lilly

The only thing we all pretty much mutually agreed on was that Splash Mountain was in bad shape and desperately needed to be fixed. Once we all agreed on that they fixed it. Maybe we have more power than we think;)
What if you're right. And all it takes for Disney is for us to reach an agreement. :eek:

I can just see them sitting at TDO's underground lair. All sitting around a large desktop, a suitcase with $500 million on the table, labelled 'DHS', desperately waiting for us to at long last decide between either Cars or Star Wars already....

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
Consider some of MSUSA's previous sponsors:

Dole - Founded in 1851
Coke - Founded in 1886
Kodak - Founded in 1889
Edy's - Founded in 1928
Starbucks - Founded in 1971

Theoretically, Walt could have enjoyed Dole, Coke, Kodak , or Edy's when he was young. The first 4 companies are "old" and feel like they belong in a mythical place like Main Street USA.

Walt was dead before Starbucks ever existed. Starbucks feels "new". Thematically, it doesn't belong in turn-of-the-century America.

When it comes to theme parks, MSUSA and Cinderella's Castle are sacred ground. Pretty much anyplace else and no one would care. If, for example, Starbuck's opened at the Tomorrowland Terrace, the reaction would have been a collective yawn. No one even talks about the Starbuck's opening at Epcot.

MSUSA sold its soul years ago but that doesn't make this time feel any more right than the last time.

I usually agree with you but my opinion of Starbucks on MSUSA is not a bad one. While they weren't from that time period, they did a good job of making it feel like it belongs. They were classy and definitely not over the top. I feel like Starbucks is a company that can actually pull off that old feel. I think it is 100% subjective though, I understand why you may not like it.

doctornick

That's totally arbitrary. There were plenty of bakeries and cafes in 1905. Just because none of them were probably named Starbucks doesn't mean it's "out of place."

Agreed. People drank coffee in turn of the century America and there were cafes on "Main St" in different communities at the time. It strikes me as somewhat silly to suggest that only specific brands available in 1905 should be located on MSUSA. I mean, should the places that carry Diet Coke/Coke Zero or Sprite? They didn't exist back in that time period either.

Jughead

I wish they brought McDonalds back as I liked having somewhere to go where i knew what was was on the menu and that the kids would eat too.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

luv

The signs aren't bad. I'm not in love with the "Starbucks" on the doors, but it taint horrible and the rest seems fine. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom