Main Street Bakery to Serve Starbucks Coffee

WDW1974

I think it's all ridiculous. If people don't want Starbucks to succeed anywhere, they won't go and give their patronage and the place will close.

You seem to think that Starbucks is somehow worse than other American brands like ... well, Disney. To most people, they're largely the same. Major American corps that have spread all over the globe because ... people like their products.

The Empress Lilly

I think it's all ridiculous. If people don't want Starbucks to succeed anywhere, they won't go and give their patronage and the place will close.

You seem to think that Starbucks is somehow worse than other American brands like ... well, Disney. To most people, they're largely the same. Major American corps that have spread all over the globe because ... people like their products.
Hrmph, capitalist imperialist.
hammer1.gif

(How's that working out for your middle class lately?)

Meanwhile in Britain, as we speak, $bux is drawing severe criticism for tax...well let's call it 'creative means to avoid paying tax'. Any corporate tax whatsoever. I pay more tax than the whole of Starbucks Europe. Even the most conservative PM Cameron is fed up with Starbucks. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-19967397

SirLink

hammer1.gif

Meanwhile in Britain, as we speak, $bux is drawing severe criticism for tax...well let's call it 'creative means to avoid paying tax'. Any corporate tax whatsoever. I pay more tax than the whole of Starbucks Europe. Even the most conservative PM Cameron is fed up with Starbucks. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-19967397

As a Britt every small business holder to self employed whether Driving Instructor or selling Apps on iTunes - people go to accountants to find ways of paying less tax - most of these creative loopholes are to do with the fact that the UK has let it go on for such a long time - also there are more global companies who aren't paying corporation tax in the UK.

Cosmic Commando

hammer1.gif

You paid more than £8.6m in the last 10 years in taxes? Let's call that $10m and be conservative. Bravo. That's just the UK.
I'm with them! I don't need to see that McDonald's in the Louvre(!). A cultural Fukushima. :cool:

EuroDisney is bringing the best of America to Europe, a celebration of Americana, above reproach by default. I do however understand that my French friends don't share my exception for Disney. :oops:

Surely you of all people here would appreciate the humourous irony of the very same discussion that we've had here currently raging on Paris fora? The exact same arguments, the exact same heated division for and against! Awesome! You can even sign an uncannily familiar petition here: http://www.france-petitions.com/petition/273/starbucks-a-montmartre-non-merci-1
I've signed it with your name, I'm sure you too want to preserve the thematic integrity of Montmartre! :D
I don't agree with them, either. If the French people like their coffee, they will go. But you do realize that they're fighting for their actual city and you're fighting for a theme park where you occasionally vacation, right?

Plus, I think calling pretty much anything "a cultural Fukushima" rubs me the wrong way.

SirLink

You paid more than £8.6m in the last 10 years in taxes? Let's call that $10m and be conservative. Bravo. That's just the UK.

Well they did make £360-ish million in profit the last year and paid nothing, of its corporation tax. There are more holes in our tax system than a sieve - its the fine balance between Austerity measures, jobs and corporation tax. Before I start sounded like I'm endorsing Empress Lilly's post - a lot of corporations have been playing fast and loose with its UK corporation taxes - Amazon and Google being two of the other big companies.

Cosmic Commando

Well they did make £360-ish million in profit the last year and paid nothing, of its corporation tax. There are more holes in our tax system than a sieve - its the fine balance between Austerity measures, jobs and corporation tax. Before I start sounded like I'm endorsing Empress Lilly's post - a lot of corporations have been playing fast and loose with its UK corporation taxes - Amazon and Google being two of the other big companies.
For sure, I have no doubt that they pay some ridiculously small amount compared to their earnings. Like every company tries to do and every wealthy person tries to do. I just take issue with someone literally saying "I pay more tax than the whole of Starbucks Europe", when that is very unlikely even given the facts from the article that the person themselves provided.

SirLink

For sure, I have no doubt that they pay some ridiculously small amount compared to their earnings. Like every company tries to do and every wealthy person tries to do. I just take issue with someone literally saying "I pay more tax than the whole of Starbucks Europe", when that is very unlikely even given the facts from the article that the person themselves provided.

Didn't even catch that ludicrous statement, sorry buddy. :p

Goofyernmost

Hey, this is France we're talking about. If it's American even if it would be the one thing that would cure cancer...they will want nothing to do with it. It's not the coffee, it's the origin. Besides without adding tar there is no way Starbucks could get it thick enough for them. :p

The Empress Lilly

You paid more than £8.6m in the last 10 years in taxes? Let's call that $10m and be conservative. Bravo.
Didn't even catch that ludicrous statement, sorry buddy. :p
The reader is obviously expected to understand a rhetorical device was employed here. So there's no need to state the obvious. Never mind in an impolite sarcastic manner.

When the writer says 'the ballet dancer moved as if she was as light as a feather', one does not reply with a biological essay explaining the ludicrous unlikelihood of a human being weighing as little as a bird feather. That's just silly.

I don't agree with them, either. If the French people like their coffee, they will go. But you do realize that they're fighting for their actual city and you're fighting for a theme park where you occasionally vacation, right?
A venture outside the realm of theme parks is always well worth the detour to better understand Disney. For example, World Expo's when discussing EPCOT. Or urbanism when discussing the MK, or EPCOT again.
There is a very fun connection between Main Street as an idealised authentic urban environment, with the preservation, and development, of authentic European urban landscapes. Montmartre is just as much a turn-of-last-century theme park as Main Street is. But one is privately owned and controlled by one party, the other is public. Yet it would seem the latter is better protected against that which these two themed environments originated are a very reaction to: the inhuman, unauthentic, ultracapitalistic, uniform modern urbanity.

I'm about to start rambling. Never mind.

Plus, I think calling pretty much anything "a cultural Fukushima" rubs me the wrong way.
It is a paraphrase. When EuroDisney was planned, the then French Minister of Culture, Jack Lang, described it as a 'Cultural Chernobyl'. A legendary remark, in Disney fandom and in the real world.
It has come to epitomise a certain reflex of French cultural narcissism, anti-capitalism. Or, judged more positively, as a call for staunch defense against cultural impoverishment, a defense of good taste, an appeal for authenticity and classical European cultural values.

Bolna

Hey, this is France we're talking about. If it's American even if it would be the one thing that would cure cancer...they will want nothing to do with it. It's not the coffee, it's the origin. Besides without adding tar there is no way Starbucks could get it thick enough for them. :p

You know it wasn't always that way? They were after all the first to import that idea of a modern republic to Europe from the United States and they gifted you the Statue of Liberty. Somehow things seem to have soured since then - most times that's not just one side's fault...

Goofyernmost

You know it wasn't always that way? They were after all the first to import that idea of a modern republic to Europe from the United States and they gifted you the Statue of Liberty. Somehow things seem to have soured since then - most times that's not just one side's fault...

Never said that we didn't play a large part in that attitude. I'm just commenting on what things are like now. I wasn't trying to make a judgement on the reasons. I cannot account for why France gave us the Statue of Liberty, it was way before my time. I do know that when I first visited France in the late 1960's the attitude was there and it wasn't that many years after WWII.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Never said that we didn't play a large part in that attitude. I'm just commenting on what things are like now. I wasn't trying to make a judgement on the reasons. I cannot account for why France gave us the Statue of Liberty, it was way before my time. I do know that when I first visited France in the late 1960's the attitude was there and it wasn't that many years after WWII.
The government of France giving us a statue and the attitude of the people of France are two different things.....they are not related.

Genie of the Lamp

How about replacing the Engine 71 firetruck with a hybrid & the Main St. barbershop quartet with a hip-hop group?

Greetings first time poster and Welcome to WDWMAGIC!:) Not to keen on your suggestions however during one of the LTM events this year the Dapper Dans are going to perform boy band group songs (Nsync, backstreet boys,etc.) so to their standards I guess you can say it's a modern hip hop twist to what the group does. Do they make hybrid firetrucks? If so that would fit Disney's message for going green.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom