Main Street Bakery to Serve Starbucks Coffee

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
People are spouting off in multiple posts like TDO is going to tear down the MSB and put up a brick and mortar Starbucks with a giant green sign. Look at the DCA pix. The signs are tiny and are well-themed. It will be exactly the same here.
This sums up everything perfectly.

They will not do this:

Starbucks-inside-01.jpg

They will do something like this:

DSC00146-1.jpg

And that's a well-themed bakery/cafe with lots of drinks options, Starbucks AND Disney bakery items (the same exact ones found in any park bakery), etc. How this is so bad and the end of Disney as we know it, I do not know. :confused:

theRIOT

Exactly like my friend above has posted. Nice, super themed and just a small amount of sponsor logos throughout. It was good enough for Walt. It's good enough for me.

Biff215

I hope that this is all the refurb entails - just training and rearranging stuff to accommodate the Starbucks equipment. I wouldn't like to lose the current interior look of the Bakery or the Disney goodies currently on the menu. But, I'm not too worried about it, if the job they did in DCA is any indication, and, therefore, I welcome the Starbucks coffee and food alongside Disney's own treats.

I doubt it will get a name change. The location in DCA is called Fiddler, Fifer, & Practical Cafe (as in the Three Little Pigs). There is a sign out front with the Starbucks name on it, but it is period-specific. The Starbucks logo is not visible anywhere on the building exterior.

I would think a 6 month refurb is going to involve a pretty extensive makeover to the interior. If it was just training and equipment, this could be done much quicker. I get that many want to hold on to the bakery, but IMO, it would be better if they reconfigure the space, possibly to allow more inside seating. While I'm not thrilled that this is happening, it could be a positive in the end if done right.

I agree that the name doesn't need to change, although you never know!

Scuttle

Of all the problems at MK...THIS is what gets people upset? Seriously?
Wow...priorities...

Really, complain about the maintenance at the MK and everything that is falling apart not something this stupid. I don't like this as much as the rest of you, but there are bigger fish to fry when it comes to the MK.

Pentacat

Original Poster
Of all the problems at MK...THIS is what gets people upset? Seriously?
Wow...priorities...

These kind of partnerships SHOULD be welcomed by the Disney Faithful. Anything that allows Disney to focus on what matters and not have to worry about mundane things like brewing coffee is a step in the right direction.

And anyone that thinks Starbucks is downgrade from the standard Disney swill should seek out professional medical advice.

captainkidd

Because a few of us have real lives. I've been reading the news on this site since 2005. I don't post often, unless it's something that interests or bothers me. I also enjoy hearing from the insiders on the boards. Sorry, that makes you better than me.

The CM's working there will be Disney CMs trained by Starbucks to handle the coffee machines. No one is losing a job. And the baked goods that we're all fuming about are not baked on MSUSA. They're made on property in an industrial kitchen where the same yummy treats ship to several locations.

A.I didn't say that at all. Just pointed out an observation. But thanks for putting words in my mouth and insulting those of us who post frequently.
B.That is not accurate. The Cinnamon Rolls were baked right at the Bakery.

captainkidd

These kind of partnerships SHOULD be welcomed by the Disney Faithful. Anything that allows Disney to focus on what matters and not have to worry about mundane things like brewing coffee is a step in the right direction.

And anyone that thinks Starbucks is downgrade from the standard Disney swill should seek out professional medical advice.

McDonalds was able to improve their coffee without closing down any of it's restaurants for 6 months.

Nobody is claiming the coffee is a downgrade. KFC serves better fried chicken than the Hoop Dee Doo, but does anyone want KFC over at Fort Wilderness?

captainkidd

FTR, petition over 1,000 signatures.

Sorry, but for something that some are claiming means nothing bad, that's a lot of people opposed to the idea, especially considering the majority of people probably have no idea about this yet.

beachlover4444

Maybe Tony's can be swapped out with an Olive Garden!
I LOVE THE WAL MART QUOTE. They keep changing what is magical about Disney World and I dont want modern day, I want the FANTASY of being there. Going away from the real world and getting stuff I CANNOT get at home. Whenever I vacation anywhere, the first thing I do is find non chain places to experience. I know even Walt had corporate sponsorship but it was incorporated so that it didnt relinquish the idea or theming of the area or attraction. But he didnt let Coca cola put a world of coke on main street. He endorsed it without shoving it down your throat - subliminally. Get on board Imagineers. I know you have great ideas but dont keep tearing down the house that Walt Imagined to further your idea of what we want.

beachlover4444

I like coffee but really dont care for the high octane of Starbucks, what I dont get is why do they have to take out the bakery. IMO it was a way to do away with a buisness that cost money to operate and replace it with a buisness that dosnt cost them a penny not to mention make a percentage of the take. But we lose another piece of ambiance. I dont care what Walt tould have liked or not. I dont like it. I also dont care if anybody thinks I want the place to stay as a museum. Another place that I thought as a comfort zone....lost. I know I am going to have someone call me a fanboi or snorting the pixie dust....frankly I dont care. The bakery has gone the way of the antique store....or other great little details that made WDW and MK what it was. NOW we have some corporate crap hole...just what I wanted a Starbucks on MS. Yea....Starbucks scream early twenienth century to me. Maybe they will have WI-FI and put little tables outside and all the thirtysomethings can sit around like they do at my local mall....A cup of cofee there cost almost five bucks....what do you think it will cost in MK ?

DonaldDoleWhip

McDonalds was able to improve their coffee without closing down any of it's restaurants for 6 months.

Nobody is claiming the coffee is a downgrade. KFC serves better fried chicken than the Hoop Dee Doo, but does anyone want KFC over at Fort Wilderness?
Starbucks and KFC are apples and oranges. Like it or not, Starbucks has cultivated a strong brand that's associated with quality and service, allowing them to charge a price premium that many people are willing to pay. Sound familiar? 'Disney Parks' is built on the same ideals (whether or not they're currently delivering those ideals is another story), and I think these two brands complement each other extremely well.

KFC (and McDonald's, for that matter) are very value-oriented brands and are strongly associated with unhealthy lifestyles. They don't complement the image that Disney is trying to maintain.

IMO, most of the offerings at MSB were rather generic, and many of the 'signature' items (like cookie sandwiches and cinnamon buns) are available elsewhere. Overall, after seeing how well FF&P turned out during my visit to DCA, I have high hopes for the updated locations in MK and Epcot.

scoobygirl39541

I would actually be heartbroken if they changed their mind about adding Starbucks. I've already gotten my hopes up! lol I think the bakery is the perfect location. Its right on main street which makes an early morning cup an easy first priority of the day! By going into the bakery, you'll have coffee, Disney pastries, and Starbucks food all in one place, not to mention the theming. I just can't see what all the fuss is about. So you don't drink coffee... I'm sorry? No one said you had to order it. Just walk in, get your cinnamon roll and let the rest of us enjoy the new addition.

captainkidd

IMO, most of the offerings at MSB were rather generic, and many of the 'signature' items (like cookie sandwiches and cinnamon buns) are available elsewhere.

Where? In 25 years, I've never found those cinnamon rolls anywhere else on property. There are other cinnamon rolls obviously, but that's like saying there are other places to get pizza besides Via Napoli.

captainkidd

I would actually be heartbroken if they changed their mind about adding Starbucks. I've already gotten my hopes up! lol I think the bakery is the perfect location. Its right on main street which makes an early morning cup an easy first priority of the day! By going into the bakery, you'll have coffee, Disney pastries, and Starbucks food all in one place, not to mention the theming. I just can't see what all the fuss is about. So you don't drink coffee... I'm sorry? No one said you had to order it. Just walk in, get your cinnamon roll and let the rest of us enjoy the new addition.

As has been said several times, if they keep the theme and food, then I don't think anyone will care in the least bit what type of coffee is served.

FTR, petition over 1,000 signatures.

Sorry, but for something that some are claiming means nothing bad, that's a lot of people opposed to the idea, especially considering the majority of people probably have no idea about this yet.
Not really considering the Starbucks Bakery will probably have more traffic than that in just one day. Unless that petition gets into the millions, don't expect Disney to care about a bunch of upset people who will still continue to spend money in their parks and resorts regardless of whether or not its commercialized. The reality of it is, people don't vacation to WDW to sit in a bakery eating generic pastries that can be bought in multiple locations, they go to the parks to go on rides and experience attractions. The dining aspect tends to be secondary to most.

DonaldDoleWhip

Where? In 25 years, I've never found those cinnamon rolls anywhere else on property. There are other cinnamon rolls obviously, but that's like saying there are other places to get pizza besides Via Napoli.
Aren't the ones at Gaston's identical? Either way, it wouldn't be a big loss to me, but I don't see any reason to be freaking out yet.

scoobygirl39541

As has been said several times, if they keep the theme and food, then I don't think anyone will care in the least bit what type of coffee is served.

That's a big "if" though. Seems kinda harsh to already have so many arguments against it and even a petition going before one chair is moved o_O

TalkingHead

Yeah, we should insist on Disney soda-pop!! Screw that coke **** you can get in millions of other locations!

Yes, Universal should've used A&W Root Beer for Butterbeer in WWoHP.

Tourists wouldn't know any better and besides they like it when the parks remind them of the strip mall back home in Cleveland.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom