Main Street Bakery to Serve Starbucks Coffee

The Empress Lilly

Looks like DCA is taking its cue from the MK. TWDC learned from its Florida guests that a Starbucks with a simplified menu is still a Starbucks, and that the rubes will still flock to it.

'Disney Parks 2013, where you find the exact same food you have at home but at double the price'.

STARBUCKS MENU CHANGES

A regrettable change has occurred at the charming FF&P Starbucks location that has left a bad taste in our mouths. No more cheesy roast beef or roasted vegetable sandwiches. No more soup. Those items that were unique have been removed in favor of items that have far less prep time. The menu has been simplified and food options have been narrowed down to either cold sandwiches and salads, or the usual breakfast sandwiches you can order at any local Starbucks
http://micechat.com/35894-disneyland-starbucks/

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Most of the passion was because of location and traditions. I've often described Main Street USA (MSUSA) as theme park holy ground and Starbuck's was "desecrating" that ground.
Sadly, MSUSA is a shadow of its former self.

I had already moved out by the time my family went to WDW for the first time, circa 1987/88. My dad was enthralled with the unique shops on Main Street and talked about them in great detail.

When I finally went a couple of years later, he insisted I pick him up a mask. If memory serves, it was on the left side of the street (facing the castle). Was this the magic shop? Does anyone have an old map detailing the old shops?

I still love MSUSA, but now it's for the glorious exteriors and the names on the windows. The shops are generally a big disappointment.

Goofyernmost

I guess I'm just lucky. I have never gone to WDW to buy something. Apparently, not that many others have either. If they had the little specialty shops would still be there. Those stores didn't exist just for atmosphere, they existed to sell things. When they didn't it was moved out and stuffed Mickeys that did sell replaced them.

Main Street, to me, is exactly the same as it was on my first visit in 1983. If I went into any of the stores along the way, it was because I was looking for an "attraction". Not finding one, I turned around and went out. The exterior, other then that little alley where all the fake flowers were, is the same. Actually better, because the colors are more vibrant, and more attractive. But, Main Street is still Main Street to me. I don't ask anymore of it then to be a street with store facades on it. That it is...and that satisfied my need. :angelic:

I didn't go to WDW to eat, especially things that I could get elsewhere. Coffee of any name is still coffee, be it some unheard of brand or Starbucks. Ice Cream is ice cream and my demand is only that it be good. Walk along carrying popcorn? Why? Just so you are more thirsty than the Florida heat already causes. What do you do with it when you ride an attraction? Don't know, never needed to find out.

Those stores were never set up to just be a museum set. They were set up to generate revenue. If people didn't buy, then the most basic of business practices is to replace it with something that will. Demand drives it. If there is not a demand that makes it profitable, it will disappear. I'm talking about demand for something to buy, not something to look at.

Mark In KY

Its better than the coffee syrup they were peddling though.
I'm sure that it is. I'm just not into the whole coffee as art experience that Starbucks peddles. The only language I need to purchase coffee is, "Large, black, to go". The few times that I've been in a Starbucks their employees acted like I was the one speaking gibberish.

SirLink

I'm sure that it is. I'm just not into the whole coffee as art experience that Starbucks peddles. The only language I need to purchase coffee is, "Large, black, to go". The few times that I've been in a Starbucks their employees acted like I was the one speaking gibberish.

I'm pretty sure that is just an Americano like Caffe Nero/Costa Coffee/etc. calls it.

Sans Souci

I'm pretty sure that is just an Americano like Caffe Nero/Costa Coffee/etc. calls it.

An Americano is a shot of espresso, filled with hot water. The name came from American GIs serving in Italy. They couldn't find the coffee they were used to back home and this was the closest approximation to it. :)

ETA: I used to work as a "Barista" at the 'bux. LOL

SirLink

An Americano is a shot of espresso, filled with hot water. The name came from American GIs serving in Italy. They couldn't find the coffee they were used to back home and this was the closest approximation to it. :)

ETA: I used to work as a "Barista" at the 'bux. LOL

All I know is here in the UK if you ask for filter coffee it ends up being coffee syrup. Ask for an Americano and you have something that is better than that.

Animaniac93-98

When I finally went a couple of years later, he insisted I pick him up a mask. If memory serves, it was on the left side of the street (facing the castle). Was this the magic shop? Does anyone have an old map detailing the old shops?

Walking towards the castle, the shop was on the left side of the street in the greenish building now labled as part of the "Hall of Champions":

index.php

magic_original.jpg

Disneyland still has their Magic Shop.

I guess I'm just lucky. I have never gone to WDW to buy something. Apparently, not that many others have either. If they had the little specialty shops would still be there. Those stores didn't exist just for atmosphere, they existed to sell things. When they didn't it was moved out and stuffed Mickeys that did sell replaced them.

Main Street, to me, is exactly the same as it was on my first visit in 1983. If I went into any of the stores along the way, it was because I was looking for an "attraction". Not finding one, I turned around and went out. The exterior, other then that little alley where all the fake flowers were, is the same. Actually better, because the colors are more vibrant, and more attractive. But, Main Street is still Main Street to me. I don't ask anymore of it then to be a street with store facades on it. That it is...and that satisfied my need. :angelic:

I didn't go to WDW to eat, especially things that I could get elsewhere. Coffee of any name is still coffee, be it some unheard of brand or Starbucks. Ice Cream is ice cream and my demand is only that it be good. Walk along carrying popcorn? Why? Just so you are more thirsty than the Florida heat already causes. What do you do with it when you ride an attraction? Don't know, never needed to find out.

Those stores were never set up to just be a museum set. They were set up to generate revenue. If people didn't buy, then the most basic of business practices is to replace it with something that will. Demand drives it. If there is not a demand that makes it profitable, it will disappear. I'm talking about demand for something to buy, not something to look at.

Is this post sarcastic? I honestly can't tell. It gets so many things wrong about why Main Street offered what it did and does I don't know where to start if it's genuine. :confused:

Mark In KY

Walking towards the castle, the shop was on the left side of the street in the greenish building now labled as part of the "Hall of Champions":

index.php

magic_original.jpg

Is this post sarcastic? I honestly can't tell. It gets so many things wrong about why Main Street offered what it did and does I don't know where to start if it's genuine. :confused:

index.php

magic_original.jpg

I eat a lot of popcorn in the parks.

Goofyernmost

Consider me confused, too. My face looked exactly like that smiley as I read the post.
No, I wasn't being sarcastic, and there were other reasons for Main Street USA, it was to bring us pack to the turn of the century, but that was the external themeing. The internal themeing was a different story. The interior was almost completely capitalistic, EVEN TO WALT. Yes, they had merchandise that could be connected with the store name, but that is where it ended and it certainly wasn't merchandise that could only have been purchased or stocked in 1900. Many of the spaces were "rented" by outsiders as retail space. They did throw a few Disney connections in there to balance it out, but primarily it was private enterprise. The problem was that the phrase location, location, location was not thought out. The retailers felt that being in Disneyland and even Disney World early on was a place for high traffic equaling more sales. However, over time it proved out that people went to Disney for entertainment, not shopping. Sure they went into the buildings and slobbered all over the merchandise but they didn't buy enough to warrant the continued presence for these retailer. Since Disney didn't manufacture all the those consumer goods, they replaced it all with what they did have and that was good old Disney related items that could be used as memories of the trip.

I know that people romanticize Main Street for what they think it was all about, but in my opinion it was retail space to be rented out and it turned out to be an ineffective retail outlet for anything other then souvenirs.

SirLink

I know that people romanticize Main Street for what they think it was all about, but in my opinion it was retail space to be rented out and it turned out to be an ineffective retail outlet for anything other then souvenirs.

I think most know what it was being romanticized for it was a retail corridor with heart you had the cinema, you had the arcade, you had the 'old fashioned' sweet shop and you also had souvenirs that you couldn't get anywhere else like DLP you could buy cars on Main Street the first couple of years it was open, with fancy different deeds which had a Main Street Logo on. It had heart - now it simply is bland, boring and generic the largest in theme park shopping mall in the world.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
I think most know what it was being romanticized for it was a retail corridor with heart you had the cinema, you had the arcade, you had the 'old fashioned' sweet shop and you also had souvenirs that you couldn't get anywhere else like DLP you could buy cars on Main Street the first couple of years it was open, with fancy different deeds which had a Main Street Logo on. It had heart - now it simply is bland, boring and generic the largest in theme park shopping mall in the world.
Yeah - what he said!

Californian Elitist

No, I wasn't being sarcastic, and there were other reasons for Main Street USA, it was to bring us pack to the turn of the century, but that was the external themeing. The internal themeing was a different story. The interior was almost completely capitalistic, EVEN TO WALT. Yes, they had merchandise that could be connected with the store name, but that is where it ended and it certainly wasn't merchandise that could only have been purchased or stocked in 1900. Many of the spaces were "rented" by outsiders as retail space. They did throw a few Disney connections in there to balance it out, but primarily it was private enterprise. The problem was that the phrase location, location, location was not thought out. The retailers felt that being in Disneyland and even Disney World early on was a place for high traffic equaling more sales. However, over time it proved out that people went to Disney for entertainment, not shopping. Sure they went into the buildings and slobbered all over the merchandise but they didn't buy enough to warrant the continued presence for these retailer. Since Disney didn't manufacture all the those consumer goods, they replaced it all with what they did have and that was good old Disney related items that could be used as memories of the trip.

If Main Street was supposed to be used for solely retail, what was the point of the Penny Arcade (still at Disneyland, but mostly a shop), the Main Street Cinema (still at Disneyland), the Magic Shop (still at Disneyland) and others?

Sure, we should expect Main Street to have shops to sell neat things. But not every shop on Main Street should be like your typical, outdoor shopping venue. And since when was it abnormal to buy and eat things like ice cream and popcorn on Main Street (in regards to your previous post)?

Please skip to 6:00.

Walt Disney buying and eating popcorn, with plenty of butter, on Main Street at Disneyland.

Goofyernmost

If Main Street was supposed to be used for solely retail, what was the point of the Penny Arcade (still at Disneyland, but mostly a shop), the Main Street Cinema (still at Disneyland), the Magic Shop (still at Disneyland) and others?
Please check out what I said in bold below:

Goofyernmost said:
No, I wasn't being sarcastic, and there were other reasons for Main Street USA, it was to bring us pack to the turn of the century, but that was the external themeing. The internal themeing was a different story. The interior was almost completely capitalistic, EVEN TO WALT. Yes, they had merchandise that could be connected with the store name, but that is where it ended and it certainly wasn't merchandise that could only have been purchased or stocked in 1900. Many of the spaces were "rented" by outsiders as retail space. They did throw a few Disney connections in there to balance it out, but primarily it was private enterprise.
Sure, we should expect Main Street to have shops to sell neat things. But not every shop on Main Street should be like your typical, outdoor shopping venue. And since when was it abnormal to buy and eat things like ice cream and popcorn on Main Street (in regards to your previous post)?
That was from a different post and was not even closely intended to say that it was in anyway wrong for people to eat popcorn or whatever on Main St. USA. What I said, is that I do not go to WDW to eat. It isn't a mass condemnation of others that do that, just that I don't and that was why Main Street did not seem all that different to me. And yes, it would be nice to have shops with neat things, however, if people don't buy those neat things, they will not stay for long. They aren't there to look at. In retail every inch must produce revenue. Not the product of a fantasy happy ending, but unfortunately, the way it is. And, as I said, that is the reason that I think we have the Main Street that we now have with just generic Disney stuff, that actually does sell. Disney does, however, have one item prominently displayed that I do think is there solely to be looked at and that is the $10,000.00 Crystal Castle. I'll bet they don't sell one of those everyday. :D

Goofyernmost

I don't disagree with what you said, but, in my case the heart doesn't come from what is offered inside the buildings, it is what I feel as I walk down Main Street. I don't have to go into a store to imagine what is in there and since I don't plan on buying anything, I have no need to anyway. I just let my imagination tell me what's there, whether it is or not.

I fully realize that not everyone feels that way, and that's fine. Everyone has a different way of looking at things. I started that post with "I guess I'm lucky" meaning that all that was inside the doors didn't have any impact on me at all. I also wanted to express my belief that make me that way...I don't go to WDW or DL to buy things...what's for sale in those buildings mean nothing to me. They do not create heart to me, just someone attempting to separate me from my cash. I know I'm old and cynical but I'm OK with that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom