MagicBands....Will you wear one?

Will you wear a MagicBand?

• Yes

Votes: 165 67.9%
  • No

Votes: 78 32.1%

• Total voters
If you are concerned about a suntan because of a wristband that is sad. Just saying that there are more important things to worry about and if you are really worried about it you may have some issues.

copcarguyp71

If you are concerned about a suntan because of a wristband that is sad. Just saying that there are more important things to worry about and if you are really worried about it you may have some issues.

It is a vacation and people should be allowed to get out of it exactly what they want. You don't mind tan lines....good for you. Another person does...good for them. They voiced their opinion and you are free to voice yours about your own individual experience but I think to say someone has issues if they have an opinion that differs from yours is even more indicative of "issues" of your own. Sorry to be so blunt but I get so sick and tired of people attacking others opinions here...it is a discussion plain and simple and there is zero call to take it to the next level like that IMO.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Original Poster
So, according to Disney's letter to Congressman Markey, if you are opting to just use the RFID card, rather then the MagicBand, you will not be subject to the tracking aspects of NextGen.

The word from Disney is that all you will need to take advantage of FP+ is an e-mail, a name, and the card. The card will only have short range RFID, which means they will not be able to track you through the parks.

IMO, this is one more BIG reason for opting out of the Band and just using the card.

Does this new information change anyones opinion?

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
I will decide once they roll out all the "advantages" of the Magic Band. I'm still in the diapers and stroller phase so we have to carry lots to the park already.

ulto22

If the button-cell is responsible for constant pulses from a 2.4gHz transmitter, which does not have an on/off switch, and the battery is nonreplaceable, then I wonder exactly how many times these CAN even be reused. If I vacation in June, bring the band home, and it sits in a suitcase sending a beacon for the next 12 months, will the button cell even still be alive for my next summer vacation?

As a student that has been actively researching to build a low power wireless sensor network, I'm pretty sure the transmitter could last for years.

If it is a common coin cell battery, they can actively select when to broadcast (every 10 seconds, 30, minute, whatever they choose) and then power down the controller and transmitter, leaving it effectively using less than a miliamp (perhaps lower). Depending on the time difference between transmissions, it could last a year to 10 years if they designed for long term use.

If anyone gets one of these bracelets coming up, I would love to get one to actually check out the innards and see what really is going on inside.

ParentsOf4

So, according to Disney's letter to Congressman Markey, if you are opting to just use the RFID card, rather then the MagicBand, you will not be subject to the tracking aspects of NextGen.

The word from Disney is that all you will need to take advantage of FP+ is an e-mail, a name, and the card. The card will only have short range RFID, which means they will not be able to track you through the parks.

IMO, this is one more BIG reason for opting out of the Band and just using the card.

Part of the budget was to install numerous short-range readers in strategic locations throughout the parks. The long-range readers were intended to cover areas where it was impractical to install short-range readers.

From a purely implementation perspective, IMHO Disney took the right approach since there was no one technology on the market capable of meeting all their requirements. Disney's use of mixed technologies is a logical solution to the challenges they were trying to overcome.

Returning to Iger's letter, he's not saying Disney won't track you if you opt for the card, only that "[t]he card contains a short-range chip whose location cannot be detected by the long-range readers in the park." Iger's statement is completely true, due to the limitations of the current technology. However, it's also misleading since it is not revealing the entire picture. The card can be tracked but not by long-range readers.

The good news is, despite what's stated on Iger's cover page, the supporting letter does contain new information. Slowly, the truth is being revealed.

P.S. Beyond the tracking issue, Disney was no doubt aware that there would be many guests who would simply refuse to wear MagicBands due to issues of comfort, fashion, etc. It's my understanding that, early in development, NexGen was going to include a card option for those individuals.

G00fyDad

No. ;)

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Original Poster
Part of the budget was to install numerous short-range readers in strategic locations throughout the parks. The long-range readers were intended to cover areas where it was impractical to install short-range readers.

From a purely implementation perspective, IMHO Disney took the right approach since there was no one technology on the market capable of meeting all their requirements. Disney's use of mixed technologies is a logical solution to the challenges they were trying to overcome.

Returning to Iger's letter, he's not saying Disney won't track you if you opt for the card, only that "[t]he card contains a short-range chip whose location cannot be detected by the long-range readers in the park." Iger's statement is completely true, due to the limitations of the current technology. However, it's also misleading since it is not revealing the entire picture. The card can be tracked but not by long-range readers.

The good news is, despite what's stated on Iger's cover page, the supporting letter does contain new information. Slowly, the truth is being revealed.

P.S. Beyond the tracking issue, Disney was no doubt aware that there would be many guests who would simply refuse to wear MagicBands due to issues of comfort, fashion, etc. It's my understanding that, early in development, NexGen was going to include a card option for those individuals.

Originally that's what this thread was about. What % of guest would flat out refuse to wear a band. The reason I asked was because in my family/friends. All said no way to the MagicCuff.

gtjacket

I'm still confused (though will pass no judgement) on why people are so concerned with Disney tracking them on Disney property. If somebody comes into my house, I like to know where they are. I fully support Disney "tracking" me, if that promotes better traffic flow, guest management, and somehow gets offers sent to me to save me money in park stores that I frequent most often. Not digging my card out when I want a bottle of water, cut down on stuff I have to dig through my pockets to find....it all sounds great to me. Even better at the water parks. I wonder if they can program your locker key into it some day?

With the logical half of my post out of the way, here comes my personality quirk:

Do we know, for certain, whether the Magic Bands use a passive or active RF transmitter? The inclusion of the battery has me concerned, but I haven't been able to get a clear reading on whether that battery is powering a radio, or just protecting the data in volatile memory. I'm familiar with RFID chips that are actually powered by the reader, requiring close proximity for the chip to become "active." I don't carry a cell phone on my body. I don't have WiFi in my house. I try to avoid the bath of RF radiation in our society as much as possible. Readers posted around the park are one thing, since the power of radio frequencies degrades exponentially with distance; I don't think I want a 2.4gHz radio strapped to my body for a week-long stay, if it is transmitting under its own power.

We just got ours in the mail yesterday. I brought the shipping box and placed it on the counter in the kitchen. During dinner, both my wife and I experienced headaches and I was dizzy. We couldn't understand why we were feeling this way. We later opened the both and discovered that we brought the transmitting MagicBands into the house and started experiencing the headaches. I moved the box to another location in the house and our headaches went away!

I would like to see some safety studies on the the RF radiation that these are emitting!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
^ interesting. RF can cause medical problems (I've witnessed them first hand) but it's usually far more powerful than a battery powered transmitter. Not saying you're wrong but I'd have thought the power was way to low to cause issues. But two people is more than a coincidence.

Did you feel nauseous as well?

gtjacket

^ interesting. RF can cause medical problems (I've witnessed them first hand) but it's usually far more powerful than a battery powered transmitter. Not saying you're wrong but I'd have thought the power was way to low to cause issues. But two people is more than a coincidence.

Did you feel nauseous as well?

I did not feel nauseous, but I did feel dizzy. I had just been outside for 30 mins in the yard and thought I might have been dehydrated.

When we thought about the RF from the bands, I moved the box of bands to an upstairs closet and our headaches went away. Later that evening, while upstairs, my wife mentioned that she had the headache again. I didn't even tell her that I had moved them upstairs.

I will say that both of us (she more than I) are sensitive to RF devices. She carries an iPhone and cannot leave mobile data turned on without getting headaches when the phone is within 3-4 feet of her.

NormC

If you put on your tin foil hat you will feel better. ;)

It is my understanding that the RF transmitter is a call and response type of device. It is not continuously transmitting as that would kill the battery very quickly. It answers in response to a request from an onsite device. They are most likely not transmitting in your house.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
I would like to see some safety studies on the the RF radiation that these are emitting!

Do you have any bluetooth devices like a cellphone or modern laptop? Do you have a microwave? Do you have wifi?

Because all of those things are emitting radio waves on the same types of radio waves Magicbands are. It's not the radio causing your any issues.. it could be as simple as the odors from the plastics, packaging, etc.

Take off your tin hat.

gtjacket

Do you have any bluetooth devices like a cellphone or modern laptop? Do you have a microwave? Do you have wifi?

Because all of those things are emitting radio waves on the same types of radio waves Magicbands are. It's not the radio causing your any issues.. it could be as simple as the odors from the plastics, packaging, etc.

Take off your tin hat.

I am well aware that all those devices operate in the 2.4 Ghz spectrum and we do minimize their use in our home. It appears from the tin hat comments that people question the validity of the symptoms and the apparent cause so I will leave it alone.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom