MagicBands....Will you wear one?

Will you wear a MagicBand?

• Yes

Votes: 165 67.9%
  • No

Votes: 78 32.1%

• Total voters

copcarguyp71

Reading this thread a blast from the past came into my head...

images

whitethunder

I'm all in for one of these honestly. If Disney is going to start shoving merchandise in my face based on where I am in the park, that's fine. At the end of the day I still won't buy it. I love the idea of not bringing anything into the park besides a wrist band and my shades. What if they are just trying to make your experience better, there is profit to be had in that as well.

Hopefully the people who are worried about privacy aren't using Google or have a Facebook account, and those are just the beginning.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Original Poster
I'm all in for one of these honestly. If Disney is going to start shoving merchandise in my face based on where I am in the park, that's fine. At the end of the day I still won't buy it. I love the idea of not bringing anything into the park besides a wrist band and my shades. What if they are just trying to make your experience better, there is profit to be had in that as well.

Hopefully the people who are worried about privacy aren't using Google or have a Facebook account, and those are just the beginning.

Are you really planning on just showing up at the park with a wristband? No ID? No Credit Card? No cash? Really?

whitethunder

Are you really planning on just showing up at the park with a wristband? No ID? No Credit Card? No cash? Really?

It is rare you'll find me in a park with much more than 20$, car key, and my AP. I leave everything else in the car. If I intend on having a drink I'll bring my ID, but thats extremely uncommon.

NeedMoreMickey

I don't want to wear the wristband because of the same reason a lot of other people have stated, don't even like to wear a watch in the heat much less a bulky wristband. My husband is one of those old time thinking guys so we never have credit card charges allowed to our room key. We try to use cash or credit card for things we buy, never pay with a debit card so I know he won't be comfortable with being able to use a wristband to charge things.

copcarguyp71

Because I don't stay at the resorts, so I do need disney jewelry.

In that case I can see your point but then I would say let those who are paying the premium to stay onsite have the option to opt-out. Not trying to sound elitist but staying onsite already has certain perks so why not one more.

ddbowdoin

going to say no... it would likely lead to an impulsive buy by either myself or my wife. the act of physically pulling my wallet and card is enough of an action for me to question that validity of the purchase!

NormC

Where's the hyperbole?

Disney intends me to wear a tracking device so they can follow my movements. Disney intends my children to wear tracking devices so they can follow their movements. Disney intends to collect data on me and my family's movements and correlate that with data collected from other sources. Disney intends to use the data to make money. Where's the hyperbole?

Once you accept the premise that Disney is allowed to track my movements within WDW, why does it stop there? Certainly Disney would like to know what else I'm doing while on vacation in Orlando. What's to prevent Disney from requiring me to wear my MagicBand while in Orlando? What law prevents Disney from tracking my movements outside of WDW?
Good Lord! Paranoia the destroyer. If you cannot see the difference between tracking you on Disney's private property versus public non-Disney property your credibility is suspect. Tell me how they are going to track you off property? I suppose they could pay Universal and Seaworld to put a couple of readers at their gates. Maybe one at some International drive restaurants? Big deal, if they see that we are playing or eating elsewhere maybe they will use that data to improve the onsite choices. Of course you could just opt out by taking off your bracelet before you leave site or opt out completely by not getting one in the first place.
The bracelets do not have GPS. I suspect they are going to collect the same data they currently collect with the KTTK cards. The added benefits are entertainment in the queues where your RFID may activate a more personal experience. This is not Big Brother and 1984. This is data collection on how people use their properties and how to make more money off of you while improving your experience. Of course they want to make more money off of us. That is why they are in business. Even Walt would not give it all away for free.

As none of it has happened yet is is still speculation on both of our parts.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Original Poster
going to say no... it would likely lead to an impulsive buy by either myself or my wife. the act of physically pulling my wallet and card is enough of an action for me to question that validity of the purchase!

I agree with this. Tapping a rubber bracelet on a Mickey head is too detached for me. This system is going to lead to some very unhappy and surprising check out days.

Graham9

I don't mind wearing a bracelet in principle, but if we come to the 'World for 14 days, I assume I would have this thing permanetly shackled to my wrist for the two whole weeks. I can see it would drive me nuts after a day or so. I assume the band and the RFID is waterproof?

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Original Poster
I don't mind wearing a bracelet in principle, but if we come to the 'World for 14 days, I assume I would have this thing permanetly shackled to my wrist for the two whole weeks. I can see it would drive me nuts after a day or so. I assume the band and the RFID is waterproof?

Yeah, definitely waterproof.

NormC

This post should make it clearer why installing MagicBand RFID readers at multiple retail outlets potentially represents a tremendous business opportunity for Disney.
I never said it wasn't a "tremendous business opportunity for Disney". I just do not see anything wrong with that. And to answer the OP question: Yes, I will wear one whilst I am on property.

ParentsOf4

I never said it wasn't a "tremendous business opportunity for Disney". I just do not see anything wrong with that. And to answer the OP question: Yes, I will wear one whilst I am on property.
What you wrote was:
Good Lord! Paranoia the destroyer. If you cannot see the difference between tracking you on Disney's private property versus public non-Disney property your credibility is suspect. Tell me how they are going to track you off property?
My post on the other thread suggests how Disney could track you off property and the financial incentives that are likely to make retailers, restaurants, and the like eager participants in the scheme. Do you still stand by your "Paranoia the destroyer" statement?

G00fyDad

It is rare you'll find me in a park with much more than 20$, car key, and my AP. I leave everything else in the car. If I intend on having a drink I'll bring my ID, but thats extremely uncommon.

And what does your car look like? Make... model... typical parking area? ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom