MagicBands WILL become a thing...

luv

I'm sure some people will dig their heels in like that... and I'll wager the vast majority won't. For those who don't want the band.. don't use it.
Really? "Dig in their heels?"

If your grocery store told you than instead of a little card for your key chain, they will now be giving you a wristband to wear because that will be ever-so-much more convenient for you, would you jump for joy at the idea of wearing the thing?

Or would you say, "I'm fine with the card. I don't want the dumb wristband and I'm not going to wear it."

My guess is the latter.

It might be fine for most people who consider it part of vacation fun, but on a regular basis, it just seems like a ridiculously stupid idea. To me, anyway. "I'm going to the parks. Time to put on my park-going WRISTBAND!" Ugh.

I am not a fan of wristbands at all, ever. But I don't want to have to wear one every time I decide to go to a park.

The new APs work wonderfully. I need nothing more...though a keychain version might be nice.

G00fyDad

If hackers can use a simple droid phone to hack into and hijack an airplane

They can't. Been disproved already. Nuff said on that.

Disney will no doubt take every precaution to prevent this but you would be a fool to think that there is any computer system out there that is hack-proof.

Of course there isn't. Look at the yearly Pwn2Own and other such contests.

I would have to say though that any hacker with the skill to hack the MM+ system would be utilizing their talents on a much larger scale and wouldnt waste their time on something small scale like Disney wristbands.

I agree. Especially since they would have to hack your particular card, hope you have charging privileges, then hack past Disney's firewalls to match up the alphanumeric code to your data in their system. Not really worth it.

G00fyDad

If your grocery store told you than instead of a little card for your key chain, they will now be giving you a wristband to wear because that will be ever-so-much more convenient for you, would you jump for joy at the idea of wearing the thing?

Or would you say, "I'm fine with the card. I don't want the dumb wristband and I'm not going to wear it."

My guess is the latter.

It might be fine for most people who consider it part of vacation fun, but on a regular basis, it just seems like a ridiculously stupid idea. To me, anyway. "I'm going to the parks. Time to put on my park-going WRISTBAND!" Ugh.

I am not a fan of wristbands at all, ever. But I don't want to have to wear one every time I decide to go to a park.

The new APs work wonderfully. I need nothing more...though a keychain version might be nice.

No. But then again, I go to the grocery store all the time. Disney..... every other year. That's a big difference. I will jump at the chance to wear one, for a week.

luv

No. But then again, I go to the grocery store all the time. Disney..... every other year. That's a big difference. I will jump at the chance to wear one, for a week.
I go to the parks a lot. And I don't want to have to to get, put on and wear a stupid wristband every time I do that. Especially if I'm out and someone calls and says, "Meet me at Epcot." What do I do? "Oh, it'll take me an extra hour because I have to home and get my wristband..." No, thank you.

I don't like them at all and wouldn't want to wear one on vacation, either. Want to relax and have fun on vacation, not wear wristbands.

But I REALLY do not want to have to wear one every time I go to a park, for Pete's sake.

And, oh my goodness, if I had to have two different ones, one for the 4 big parks and one for the water parks, like I do with my APs...I don't even know how to phrase it. What is the word for excessively annoying and ridiculous?

G00fyDad

I go to the parks a lot. And I don't want to have to to get, put on and wear a stupid wristband every time I do that. Especially if I'm out and someone calls and says, "Meet me at Epcot." What do I do? "Oh, it'll take me an extra hour because I have to home and get my wristband..." No, thank you.

I don't like them at all and wouldn't want to wear one on vacation, either. Want to relax and have fun on vacation, not wear wristbands.

But I REALLY do not want to have to wear one every time I go to a park, for Pete's sake.

And, oh my goodness, if I had to have two different ones, one for the 4 big parks and one for the water parks, like I do with my APs...I don't even know how to phrase it. What is the word for excessively annoying and ridiculous?

..........................................................so don't wear one. Or rather, don't jump at the chance to wear one. Problem solved. ;)

luv

I don't understand all the anger the magic band is completely optional and if you don't want it, simple don't get it they have the very nice Rfid cards in placement for use. And If you decided you want to have one its still optional to use.
I'm not mad at goofydad. :)

It's the general idea that there is something wrong with those of us who don't want to wear the things that is irksome, to say the least.

Sped2424

I'm not mad at goofydad. :)

It's the general idea that there is something wrong with those of us who don't want to wear the things that is irksome, to say the least.
I never said anything like that though, it just seems the general posts seem to be complaining that they even exist and many on here are saying oh great now I have to wear this? NO WAY.

flynnibus

Premium Member

I'm not going to the grocery store for an extended period... which includes lots of getting up, down, sitting, standing, putting my wallet in, out, again, holding stuff for everyone in my group, being thrown around on high intensity things, getting wet, etc. That is a horrible analogy.

Did you feel so strongly when Disney handed out wristbands for EMH?

Did you stop going to a local bar or resturant.. because GASP... they put wristbands on you?

My lord.. I hope you never go SKING where they make you wear this god awful tag to get on the lifts.

It's melodrama when people act like a new wristband OPTION is like asking to give up your first born child.

Vader2112

One great thing I can see coming from it is a potential Easy Pass system at the gates for parking! No more waiting for people to find cash or a card because they had no idea that Disney charges to park or dig out my AP to show the card etc.

djlaosc

Did you stop going to a local bar or resturant.. because GASP... they put wristbands on you?

Both of these could be seen as bad examples as well...

EMH Wristbands - have to wear for a maximum of "3 hours + however long it takes to find a pair of scissors to cut it off"
Local Bar or Restaurants will have a short amount of time to have to be worn as well...

You also don't have to wear these outside of where you are supposed to use them (or on the way home) - if you stay onsite and if you go to Universal/SeaWorld/Mall, you're going to have to take your MagicBand with you (just like your ticket/RFID Card), but your MagicBand will not fit in your wallet like you card will, so you're either going to have to wear it (identifying yourself as a tourist), or you're going to have to put it in your pocket (which will take more room than the card will)

Also, both of these would have been worn at night time, so some of the issues that people have with these wristbands (suntan lines, sweat) would not be/not be as much of a factor.

My lord.. I hope you never go SKING where they make you wear this god awful tag to get on the lifts.

I've never been skiing, but if the tags are anything like the MagicBand, then they're probably going to be covered up by your layers, so again, sun won't count, sweat might (because of the layers), and again, you only have to wear it while you're there.

thomas998

Some people indicate the the MagicBand will suck (excuse the language) and that they will pass the offer to have such a device. But will they really when it looks as tempting as this? The picture explains all...

I really have to wonder, what is the range of these things... is it possible that Disney could set up some receivers throughout the park so that they could actually track guests movements throughout the park? Is it possible that this is really just some marketing tool being pushed over as something else, when in fact it will end up being used to see if Mr. Smith spends more time on Main Street than Fantasy Land... or how long quests spend in a particular line.

Vader2112

Both of these could be seen as bad examples as well...

EMH Wristbands - have to wear for a maximum of "3 hours + however long it takes to find a pair of scissors to cut it off"
Local Bar or Restaurants will have a short amount of time to have to be worn as well...

You also don't have to wear these outside of where you are supposed to use them (or on the way home) - if you stay onsite and if you go to Universal/SeaWorld/Mall, you're going to have to take your MagicBand with you (just like your ticket/RFID Card), but your MagicBand will not fit in your wallet like you card will, so you're either going to have to wear it (identifying yourself as a tourist), or you're going to have to put it in your pocket (which will take more room than the card will)

Also, both of these would have been worn at night time, so some of the issues that people have with these wristbands (suntan lines, sweat) would not be/not be as much of a factor.
You can take them off they are adjustable and more like a watch band. So no need to wear it off property. Lock it in the hotel safe.

Vader2112

I really have to wonder, what is the range of these things... is it possible that Disney could set up some receivers throughout the park so that they could actually track guests movements throughout the park? Is it possible that this is really just some marketing tool being pushed over as something else, when in fact it will end up being used to see if Mr. Smith spends more time on Main Street than Fantasy Land... or how long quests spend in a particular line.
I do not think it is possible since you basically have to press it up against the reader for it to read.

DisneyJoe

In a queue - yes. Near store entrances/exits - yes. Used for food or shopping - yes. Most of this can be done now, to a degree with the KTTW card.

Many believe that this system won't have the power to track every footstep of each person in the park, but rough and general movements - sure.

In other words, when I enter and exit the park, what rides I go on, what stores and eateries I visit, what attractions I go on and how long I was in queue.

Vader2112

How do you get back in your hotel room if the keys are locked inside and you're staying onsite?
Good point! The hotel safe at the front desk? My point is this they are not as cumbersome and pemanent as most people think. It seems the perception by some is that it is simply a disposble wristband like one would receive at a bar, nightclub or hospital. The RF range is apparently not that great either if you literally have to place the band up against the reader for it to work not very effective for tracking. BTW most companies can track you by your credit or debit card transactions anyhow so they can easily see your spending habbits. That is why they have disclaimers about the data they collect from you not being sold to outside vendors. If you think Disney is not doing this through a KTTW card already without RF you are wrong. Sorry got wordy and not all directed back at you.

luv

I'm not going to the grocery store for an extended period... which includes lots of getting up, down, sitting, standing, putting my wallet in, out, again, holding stuff for everyone in my group, being thrown around on high intensity things, getting wet, etc. That is a horrible analogy.

It's melodrama when people act like a new wristband OPTION is like asking to give up your first born child.
You know what? I apologize.

If you want to sit around insulting people who don't want to wear wristbands, I should not attempt to argue about the fact that it is perfectly fine and not at all ridiculous to not want to wear one or point out the very valid reasons for not wanting one. It was silly of me to do it.

If you want to do that, I should leave you to it. And I will.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom