MagicBands to be used in place of parking permit paperwork for resort guests

Goofnut1980

Ok, so here is a question.. We go in May and my brother is going to meet us at AKV and then we will ride together in his car to the parks. He isn't staying on property but obviously we are. How will he get past the guard shack to meet us at the resort and pick us up. Do we just get something printed for him at the check-in desk?

WDF

Ok, so here is a question.. We go in May and my brother is going to meet us at AKV and then we will ride together in his car to the parks. He isn't staying on property but obviously we are. How will he get past the guard shack to meet us at the resort and pick us up. Do we just get something printed for him at the check-in desk?

He will just have to show photo ID and state that he is picking up a guest. They may ask the guest's name, but probably not. He will HAVE to show ID though, I got caught once when I had left my ID in my hotel room off property and the guard at AKL would not let me through to pick up a friend to take her to the airport. It was a major pain! LOL

Clamman73

The one thing I like about this is if you arrive early to the World and want to go straight to the Parks without going through the hassle of checking in to get your parking pass, or explaining that you're a guest checking in today, or paying and then getting reimbursed later makes things go a little easier.

I just hope they're able to scan bands in a manner that is just as quick as showing the pass and them letting you through.

Ben_since_1971

Am I the only one who is bummed out about losing one of the few 'free' souvenirs?? I always save my parking pass to go into the scrapbook.

Seriously, this is a logical next step, but hopefully as others have pointed out they will have long range scanners for the theme park entrances otherwise it will seriously gum stuff up.

DManRightHere

Couldn't they use the longer range transmitter in the band much like an EZPass? That could be more efficient then the old way of looking for the parking pass. You'd only have to stop if you're using a KTTW card or if your band didn't work for some reason. Just a thought....

Disney is trying to be more streamline, and we all know the bands have the capability. I'm sure this is the long term goal, they just have to take baby steps.

DManRightHere

I get using the MB for the driver. But what about the car? How is the car to be ID'd without a sheet of paper in the dashboard?

Good question...does Disney ever ask for vehicle info? I don't remember. The guard shack only has to get the info once, maybe they're subtle about it.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I agree! I wonder though, is the magic band tech capable to do the same thing that say, the SunPass does? Would it be feasible for each plaza lane to to have such a receive that could scan the car as it approaches for bands with appropriate access so you could just stroll through without stopping?
How are you going to stop people just going through? Install barriers? SunPass sends offenders penalties in the mail, this is not possible at WDW. I don't see any alternative than having a CM deal with issues at the booth.

KLinder7

Anyone know if MagicBands can be used as identification to visit the resort? For instance, if I have a breakfast reservation at the Cape May Cafe, can I just use my band to get access to the resort or do I need to show my ID?
Wish there was a way not to have carry your license in the park. If there was a way to validate your age in case you get carded, I literally would only need to carry my MB in the park.

chiefs11

How are you going to stop people just going through? Install barriers? SunPass sends offenders penalties in the mail, this is not possible at WDW. I don't see any alternative than having a CM deal with issues at the booth.

Easy.. there's a swing-up gate. If it scans your MB and you can park for free it automatically swings up as you pull in. If not, you have to deal with the guy in the booth and either pay him or show your pass or have him check your KTTW card or whatever. They can mark a lane or two 'hotel guest' only or something, and while I'm sure you'll still get some idiots that go in there that shouldn't, it should be faster then the other lanes. Not sure there'd be any other way to do it since they can't mail you a fine.

DManRightHere

Could Disney issue unpaid parking fees in the mail? I guess that would be the cheapest solution. Next, they could have a barrier that lets each individual car through as it's identified.

Wouldn't this be the same as a toll taker? A person can still run the magic band entrance and keep up with which cars just pass through or having issues with checking in.

Goofnut1980

He will just have to show photo ID and state that he is picking up a guest. They may ask the guest's name, but probably not. He will HAVE to show ID though, I got caught once when I had left my ID in my hotel room off property and the guard at AKL would not let me through to pick up a friend to take her to the airport. It was a major pain! LOL

Thats awesome! Thank you!

MissM

Will this be forthcoming for AP's too? Because right now, we have to show the discount card or RFID card (plus driver's license) to get free parking.

JasonDeyoung

Wish there was a way not to have carry your license in the park. If there was a way to validate your age in case you get carded, I literally would only need to carry my MB in the park.
Ya know I've been thinking/wondering this tol. Not sure if it's just coincidence but I've not been carded since I've beenusing Magic bands. Granted I'm def over 21 but I've been curious about this cause I only carry my phone and Magic bsnd when I go out

Tom

Beta Return
The only problem with this, and it's not really a "problem" I guess, is I resent having to give every person's name for a dining reservation. As a local I am not always dining with people who are on Disney vacation with MDE accounts. Even when people DO have MDE accounts, I don't like Disney always needing/wanting to know who I am dining with, so I usually leave the guests blank. So if people arrive in different cars I guess they will just give the name that the reservation is under, but they won't come up by scanning any band or card.

This is probably why they'll have the dedicated lane for MB users, and will still have a guard shack lane for special situations.

You actually paid for parking? I have never paid for parking regardless if was eligible for free parking or not.

One of the many reasons why this is a positive system implementation. To correct this problem.

I thought the same thing.

You shouldn't go anywhere without photo identification on your person, period. If you were to have a medical emergency, you absolutely must have ID or you become John Doe and a major problem. Should also carry insurance info for the same reason.

Easy.. there's a swing-up gate. If it scans your MB and you can park for free it automatically swings up as you pull in. If not, you have to deal with the guy in the booth and either pay him or show your pass or have him check your KTTW card or whatever. They can mark a lane or two 'hotel guest' only or something, and while I'm sure you'll still get some idiots that go in there that shouldn't, it should be faster then the other lanes. Not sure there'd be any other way to do it since they can't mail you a fine.

But this doesn't speed up the process over scanning your band at a reader, since you still have to wait for the gate to cycle for every car in this scenario.

But is that any different than the "old way"? Guests can blow through the legacy gates as-is, no?

Yes, but you're not "invited" or "encouraged" to cruise right on through now. There's an implied mandate to stop, so most law-abiding citizens do.

If you go the "SunPass" route, you're telling everyone to drive on through, which will just end up in hundreds of people driving through who aren't eligible for free parking....because they don't know any better, or they think they'll get away with it.

Could Disney issue unpaid parking fees in the mail? I guess that would be the cheapest solution. Next, they could have a barrier that lets each individual car through as it's identified.

Wouldn't this be the same as a toll taker? A person can still run the magic band entrance and keep up with which cars just pass through or having issues with checking in.

I don't think Disney, itself, has the authority to run license plates and issue parking citations. The toll plazas on toll roads take a high-resolution photo of your plate if you run the plaza without a Pass, and they use legal authority to mail you a fine. I know the foil-hat brigade will argue that Disney does/can do this, but in reality they would have to jump through some serious hoops and cut some serious red tape to earn this power. They could probably do it through RCID, since it's a government, but not worth it just to save a second or two at the toll plaza.

KLinder7

This is probably why they'll have the dedicated lane for MB users, and will still have a guard shack lane for special situations.

One of the many reasons why this is a positive system implementation. To correct this problem.

You shouldn't go anywhere without photo identification on your person, period. If you were to have a medical emergency, you absolutely must have ID or you become John Doe and a major problem. Should also carry insurance info for the same reason.

But this doesn't speed up the process over scanning your band at a reader, since you still have to wait for the gate to cycle for every car in this scenario.

Yes, but you're not "invited" or "encouraged" to cruise right on through now. There's an implied mandate to stop, so most law-abiding citizens do.

If you go the "SunPass" route, you're telling everyone to drive on through, which will just end up in hundreds of people driving through who aren't eligible for free parking....because they don't know any better, or they think they'll get away with it.

I don't think Disney, itself, has the authority to run license plates and issue parking citations. The toll plazas on toll roads take a high-resolution photo of your plate if you run the plaza without a Pass, and they use legal authority to mail you a fine. I know the foil-hat brigade will argue that Disney does/can do this, but in reality they would have to jump through some serious hoops and cut some serious red tape to earn this power. They could probably do it through RCID, since it's a government, but not worth it just to save a second or two at the toll plaza.
Good point, didn't think of that. Even more so now with the chance of getting hurt by one of those selfie sticks. ;)

chiefs11

Not true at all.. with a mickey-head band reader you'd have to stop and put your window down, stick out your arm, etc.

I drive through an EZPass toll every day, the gate lifts opens as soon as my car starts to pull into the toll booth... well before a guard would even be able to see if I have a pass on my dashboard. Posted speed limit for the ezpass only lane is 5mph, but most people don't get below 10 or 15 because they know the gate is opening.

Just saying it's an option, and it has the potential to move things along at least as fast as things do now, with the possibility of it being even more efficient.

DManRightHere

I'm thinking about how Universities and colleges issue parking fines, but I think most of those are through campus police, but it is still private property violations I think...

Companies pay big money to save a few seconds (or less) if it increases efficiency.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom