Magicbands and passholders

jl2081

Original Poster
Haven't seen much info released about magicbands and passholders. But I'm wondering how it's going to work with resort stays several times a year and being programmed over and over. As a passholder who lives an hour away we stay on property several times a year for long weekends and sometimes just one night stays. I average we probably stay at last 10 times a year, so with all of that I'm wondering if there will any programming issues since it will be used so much. Any thoughts?

Britt

I wouldn't imagine so! I'd think it'd just be loaded with your info and you'd just have to update on the site? Or maybe it'd automatically update with new reservations?

Im so jealous...it'd be awesome to be that close, and still JUST far enough away not to have to deal with the tourists! : )

jl2081

Original Poster
Oh no I still have to deal with tourists, I live in St. Pete and I'm about 10 mins away from the beaches. Tourists everywhere I go! Benefits of living in Florida I guess.

Britt

Oh no I still have to deal with tourists, I live in St. Pete and I'm about 10 mins away from the beaches. Tourists everywhere I go! Benefits of living in Florida I guess.
Oh no!!! Im in Colorado Springs, and luckily...we usually only get tourists spring/summer! The winter people stay towards Aspen and Vail...lol

Tuvalu

Premium Member
We have APs and a set of MagicBands from our August stay. We are going the first week of October and I was able to select FP+. Yesterday I received notice to "customize our MagicBands" for October, even though our current bands are still active (according to MDE). So I did (picked new colors).

ratherbeinwdw

We have APs and a set of MagicBands from our August stay. We are going the first week of October and I was able to select FP+. Yesterday I received notice to "customize our MagicBands" for October, even though our current bands are still active (according to MDE). So I did (picked new colors).
Do you know when the time starts on the AP? When we got them in the past, it didn't start until we turned in our certificate for the card. However, the Official Disney site says the time starts when you purchase an AP. We won't be using them for a couple months, so I don't want the time to start now.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
I don't know when the time starts on an AP, since we renew ours every year and the renewal date stays the same (we can renew 30 days prior to expiration up to 30 days post-expiration, but the anniversary date remains constant.) I would go by what the official Disney site says to be on the safe side. Or you could call and ask.

jl2081

Original Poster
I didn't know that it keeps ur anniversary date and waited till the 30 days after was almost up and basically missed out on a month of use. Anyone heard a date when ap holders will get the band's? Our passes r good till Dec 10th so I don't know if we will get them for our current passes or When we renew.

jl2081

Original Poster
I'm really surprised they r going to send new ones. Now ur gonna have too link them to ur account. I wonder at what point they r gonna realize they r issuing multiple bands to the same passes and if that will be an issue.

jl2081

Original Poster
Do you know when the time starts on the AP? When we got them in the past, it didn't start until we turned in our certificate for the card. However, the Official Disney site says the time starts when you purchase an AP. We won't be using them for a couple months, so I don't want the time to start now.
I've noticed in the past it starts when u redeem them for actual passes. That's how it worked for us when we first got passes, have had passes now for a while so I have the same anniversary date every time we renew.

Rob562

Theoretically, you'll get a new Band with each new trip. As far as I've been able to tell, they'll all be active and available to use in-park for park admission, FP+, etc. Any RFID cards you have linked to your profile should also work. You can individually disable Bands if you lose them.

One thing that is unclear to me is how they'll work for entry into the rooms. You may be limited to only one of your active Bands for your room key, but I haven't heard one way or the other. (What we need is for someone on their second trip with a second MB to try and use the Bands interchangeably for various aspects of MDE/FP+/room keys)

-Rob

jl2081

Original Poster
Theoretically, you'll get a new Band with each new trip. As far as I've been able to tell, they'll all be active and available to use in-park for park admission, FP+, etc. Any RFID cards you have linked to your profile should also work. You can individually disable Bands if you lose them.

One thing that is unclear to me is how they'll work for entry into the rooms. You may be limited to only one of your active Bands for your room key, but I haven't heard one way or the other. (What we need is for someone on their second trip with a second MB to try and use the Bands interchangeably for various aspects of MDE/FP+/room keys)

-Rob
But why would Disney allow so many forms of passes to be active? That would make it to easy to let someone else use it and possibly promote people trying to sell them and what not. Seems to me that this is not what they intended on happening but haven't done anything to prevent it yet.

jl2081

Original Poster
Also I'm talking about passholders. There had been little to no info about bands for passholders and how it's gonna work for many resort stays per year.

Rob562

But why would Disney allow so many forms of passes to be active? That would make it to easy to let someone else use it and possibly promote people trying to sell them and what not. Seems to me that this is not what they intended on happening but haven't done anything to prevent it yet.

Once a Band is assigned to a person's profile on MDE, it cannot be changed (a fact that it clearly stated in a pop-up window that you have to acknowledge). If someone were to buy a Band off of ebay (I've seen some listed already) they wouldn't be able to link it to their own MDE profile, since it would've been linked to the original owner, unless the seller somehow got their hands on an un-linked MB.

And even if you hand one of your Bands off to someone else, they'll still run into the same potential issues that they would if you gave them your AP now. Namely, the finger scan at the entrance to the park, and the name/ID check if the finger scan fails.

If you have two people wearing Bands inside the park that are linked to one profile, you're dipping from a single pool of FP+ choices.

-Rob

LizC

It starts when you turn in your certificate for your AP, and begin to use it. I purchased my certificates weeks ago but will not be turning them in to actual AP's till we go in October and use them. I was able to order my Magic Bands, however I can not make Fast Pass+ reservations until I have the actual AP's.

ratherbeinwdw

It starts when you turn in your certificate for your AP, and begin to use it. I purchased my certificates weeks ago but will not be turning them in to actual AP's till we go in October and use them. I was able to order my Magic Bands, however I can not make Fast Pass+ reservations until I have the actual AP's.
Our vouchers are suppose to be here today. So, from what you've said, I will be able to order magic bands before I turn the voucher in? The cm told me I couldn't do that at this time. You must be staying at a resort where they've already been rolled-out.

PolynesianPrincess

Our vouchers are suppose to be here today. So, from what you've said, I will be able to order magic bands before I turn the voucher in? The cm told me I couldn't do that at this time. You must be staying at a resort where they've already been rolled-out.

You do have to be staying at a resort where the band testing is going on. If you look on the main page here, there is a list of what resorts will be rolling out the testing going forward. Also, FP+ can be made once you order the bands. If you don't activate your pass til you get there, you can't make FP+ choices until then. I'm not sure how that will work with availability and whatnot. We ran into some availability issues in the park when we tried to change an attraction to a different one. Told us there was no availability. So hopefully you will have options when you get there!

LizC

When I ordered them I was also told I would not be able to get them. Then I happened to be on the phone with a Disney IT person (I'm assuming this is what they are called) for something else, and she told me I can order them. I went online and there was the link right on the Disney website. I think a lot of the time people who take our ADR's and room reso's over at Disney often have the wrong info.

That being said, I am staying at Animal Kingdom Lodge and this is one of the test resorts. Which resort are you staying at?

Sans Souci

So, at this point, a voucher will not allow to make FP+ attraction choices 60 days out and a guest needs an active AP for that, is that correct? Any word on what will be the policy once this is fully implemented? We are tentatively planning a late Feb/early March trip and my husband and my son will have AP vouchers by then (I have an active AP.). I am holding out hope that the headliners will be available day of.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom