Magicbands and passholders

But why would Disney allow so many forms of passes to be active? That would make it to easy to let someone else use it and possibly promote people trying to sell them and what not. Seems to me that this is not what they intended on happening but haven't done anything to prevent it yet.

My understanding is that only one Magic Band can be active at a time. People can have multiple Magic Bands that they can activate and de-activate at will but only one will work at any given moment.

WendyTinkerbell

There seems to be a disadvantage for AP holders, since they will not be able to make FP+ selections until they go to the park the first day to activate their passes. I ordered the magic bands yesterday, but might as well wait until we're there to buy new APs. In fact, I looked online to see if we would get more of a discount at our hotel if we buy APs and I think I'm saving more money using the regular Room Only Discount. I may try to call later to see if the Cast Member is able to find something I wasn't able to find.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
My understanding is that only one Magic Band can be active at a time. People can have multiple Magic Bands that they can activate and de-activate at will but only one will work at any given moment.
I have 2 active MagicBands and plan to test this in a couple weeks.

LizC

So, at this point, a voucher will not allow to make FP+ attraction choices 60 days out and a guest needs an active AP for that, is that correct? Any word on what will be the policy once this is fully implemented? We are tentatively planning a late Feb/early March trip and my husband and my son will have AP vouchers by then (I have an active AP.). I am holding out hope that the headliners will be available day of.

I would assume that your husband and son would then not be able to make fast pass + resos ahead of time for that trip. However, I have ZERO inside knowledge of Disney and am solely basing this on my own experience. I presume headliners will be available day of though. Most people (especially in the beginning, which is when you will be going) will be unaware then can book fast pass + ahead of time, so lots of people will book at the last minute or not at all.

I am going in early February in addition to my October trip. So I (and so many others on this site) can let you know how it works for us.

EDIT: I was wrong. I just tried again after reading some other people had different experiences. I used the 20 digit number on the bottom left of the green exchange certificate card, on the back. Making my Fast Pass + reservations now! :D

Last edited:

coachwnh

There seems to be a disadvantage for AP holders, since they will not be able to make FP+ selections until they go to the park the first day to activate their passes. I ordered the magic bands yesterday, but might as well wait until we're there to buy new APs. In fact, I looked online to see if we would get more of a discount at our hotel if we buy APs and I think I'm saving more money using the regular Room Only Discount. I may try to call later to see if the Cast Member is able to find something I wasn't able to find.
we have APs and were able to make FP times and we just got our bands today. We made our FP times Monday as soon as we found out GF was testing for our October dates.

WendyTinkerbell

Hi! So I received the bands today, but I do have another question. My husband and I will either order our APs ahead of time or buy them when we get to Disney. My first question is, are you able to purchase/activate the AP at the International entrance into EPCOT? (Now that I think about it, I may have read one day that you can buy/activate at the resort now, is that true?) We are staying at BWI and if we would probably be entering from that entrance. Will they also be able to link them to the Magic Bands when they are purchased?

My other question is if both bands have to be linked to the same Magical Experience App/Account. I have an account that all of our reservations are scheduled through, but my husband will probably be going to Disney at some point without me, and will need his own account. How does this affect the band as room keys (since the reservations is currently linked to my account) and Fast Passes that we will hopefully be able to schedule? (Hope this question makes sense.) I saw that you "link" accounts (was thinking this is more for large families or groups traveling together), but does this also work for a couple like us, traveling on the same reservation? I ordered his Magic Band from my account, but don't really want to permanently attach it to mine. In other words, I want him to get his own App on his phone, but when we schedule FPs they be at the same time.

WendyTinkerbell

UPDATE:

You should be able to enter the ticket confirmation number after you order the APs and then be able to select FP+ choices. I had some problems, but the internet help department is trying to remedy the situation now. This seems to be a good solution so that you don't have to wait to activate the vouchers. (I kind of thought that would defeat the purpose of being able to make choices days in advance)

Thanks!

JustJude

I can confirm MDE accepted my will call number and I could make fast pass+ selections using the willcall coupon number for our AP :)

ratherbeinwdw

UPDATE:

You should be able to enter the ticket confirmation number after you order the APs and then be able to select FP+ choices. I had some problems, but the internet help department is trying to remedy the situation now. This seems to be a good solution so that you don't have to wait to activate the vouchers. (I kind of thought that would defeat the purpose of being able to make choices days in advance)

Thanks!
The only number on the letter that came with our vouchers/cards is a reference number which isn't long enough to use on MDE. Should I have another number?

Rob562

My other question is if both bands have to be linked to the same Magical Experience App/Account. I have an account that all of our reservations are scheduled through, but my husband will probably be going to Disney at some point without me, and will need his own account. How does this affect the band as room keys (since the reservations is currently linked to my account) and Fast Passes that we will hopefully be able to schedule? (Hope this question makes sense.) I saw that you "link" accounts (was thinking this is more for large families or groups traveling together), but does this also work for a couple like us, traveling on the same reservation? I ordered his Magic Band from my account, but don't really want to permanently attach it to mine. In other words, I want him to get his own App on his phone, but when we schedule FPs they be at the same time.

I presume you've set your husband up with a "managed by you" profile on your own account, and the ticket and other reservations are assigned to that profile.

If so, you can go into your profile, and under Friends & Family click on the "invite" icon next to his name. Fill in his email address, and they'll send him an email for him to create his own account. Once created, it'll (theoretically) take all of the existing info under his "managed by you" profile and move it all to his new account/profile that is now managed by him.

Having two separate-but-linked profiles doesn't alter your ability to make FP+. As long as the privacy settings on each account allows it, you can make FP+ reservations for each other, make dining reservations for each other, etc.

A friend is in WDW right now. We became friends on MDE so that I could tinker with the site a bit. Because of the settings, I can go in and see what his FP+ reservations are. I can even make new ones for him if I wanted, despite not being able to make FP+ reservations for myself (I have "not eligible for FastPass+" next to my name on all screens).

When I go with my friends next year, I'll probably set up profiles for them when we make our reservations, but before the trip I'll have them each create their own profiles and link them together.

-Rob

WendyTinkerbell

Great! Thanks for filling me in on the "invite" part. I wasn't really sure what that would do, since he is currently a profile on my account. Part of me is even scared to change my password, as I don't want to screw anything up on the MDE since it is currently working. (I've had past issues with previous Disney Sites including the previous Disney Magic App on Verizon)

The good news is that, after calling Disney when my confirmation number would not work, they were able to link what the cast member said "would be my tickets" to the MDE App and I was able to make FP+ reservations without having active APs. I'm not sure how all of this will play out when we actually get to Disney, as she had to speak to three departments to get it set up, but right now it seems like it is working!

LizC

The only number on the letter that came with our vouchers/cards is a reference number which isn't long enough to use on MDE. Should I have another number?

Use the 20 digit number on the back of the green certificate card they send you. The number underneath the barcode. I did it just today and it worked.

Good luck!

stillgoofy

Also I'm talking about passholders. There had been little to no info about bands for passholders and how it's gonna work for many resort stays per year.

Well, one thing I found out yesterday when I customized my Magic Bands and made my Fastpass+ reservations is that I was only allowed a maximum of 7 days of Fastpass+ selections. I have an AP but am only staying onsite 1 night and offsite for a week. I was attempting 9 days of Fastpass+, but was only allowed maximum of 7 days. It would let me get Fastpass+ for day 8 but I would have to give back one of the first 7 days of Fastpass+ in order to do this (so 7 days max but not necessarily consecutive). I suspect this is because we only have one night onsite and they are setting AP maximums for situations like this. I assume if we would stay onsite for 2 weeks, which we normally do, then we would get a a full 2 weeks of Fastpass+ selections.

reptar77

We were selected for the GF test for our trip in the end of Oct we received our bands today. I have a trip booked for next week at the wilderness, do you think our bands will work for that trip? When I say work I mean park entrance, room key, room charging not FP+.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
We were selected for the GF test for our trip in the end of Oct we received our bands today. I have a trip booked for next week at the wilderness, do you think our bands will work for that trip? When I say work I mean park entrance, room key, room charging not FP+.
It will work for park entrance. I believe WL is in "test" mode for October, and if so you can inform them at check in that you have a band that you would like to use for room key & room charging.

We had a split-stay in August when AKL was in "test" mode but Poly wasn't. Our bands worked for our park entrance and FP+ for the combined 8 days of our vacation, but once we checked into Poly the bands did not work for room key or room charging.

Ariel484

Sandy and I both have APs... just AP's (cards - plastic stock). They are the NEW RFID APs.
We're going to WDW Nov14. At our 60 day mark? We were able to book FP+ for every day of our stay.
So - I really don't CARE about the bands :). Just going to wave our cards around.
I was too. I have the plastic AP like you and my husband still has the paper card stock one. As far as I know I didn't link our APs to our Magic Bands but I was still able to make Fastpass + selections (and get a Be Our Guest lunch fastpass). I'm not even sure I see an option on the My Disney Experience page to link the APs to the bands.

On the Magic Band customization page it says that the bands will be used for Magical Express and as our room keys, so I'm guessing once we check in we can add credit cards for charging and possibly link our APs to the bands. I'm confused as to why we were able to make Fastpass + selections when I seemingly didn't link the APs to the bands. Maybe it has more to do with having a resort confirmation #? :confused:

Texas84

I was too. I have the plastic AP like you and my husband still has the paper card stock one. As far as I know I didn't link our APs to our Magic Bands but I was still able to make Fastpass + selections (and get a Be Our Guest lunch fastpass). I'm not even sure I see an option on the My Disney Experience page to link the APs to the bands.

On the Magic Band customization page it says that the bands will be used for Magical Express and as our room keys, so I'm guessing once we check in we can add credit cards for charging and possibly link our APs to the bands. I'm confused as to why we were able to make Fastpass + selections when I seemingly didn't link the APs to the bands. Maybe it has more to do with having a resort confirmation #? :confused:

I think once you register your AP in the system it automatically links your band. I was able to find the link. But don't take my word for it. I'm also on a reservation my Dad made and looks like I'm getting a second band. :D

I want that BoG lunch fastpass but it doesn't show up in our selections. Probably limited. :(

Ariel484

I think once you register your AP in the system it automatically links your band. I was able to find the link. But don't take my word for it. I'm also on a reservation my Dad made and looks like I'm getting a second band. :D

I want that BoG lunch fastpass but it doesn't show up in our selections. Probably limited. :(
Like...maybe? I don't know. It's so confusing to me. My AP (the RFID one) shows up on my tickets list but my husband's does not. I put the number in to the system and it took it but it's not there. HMM...

Did you log in to the Be Our Guest fastpass page and try it from there?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom