Magical Express arrival

deemcb

So we are having to take a late flight and we don't land until 5:30 or so. It has been 10 years since we were at Disney and I have no idea how long it takes to get to the resorts on the Magical Express shuttle. Anyone know this? We will be staying at Fort Wilderness Cabins and we are trying to figure out what we will have time to do when we get there.

fizzle75

While I sympathize, yours is an isolated incident, hardly a reason for no-one to EVER use what is a very reliable service.

As for the rant about being a "prisoner of Disney" - The vast majority of vacationers to WDW could care less! That's exactly why they go is to be on property and stay on property. If that's not what you want, that's fine, but hyperbole tends to make your entire post significantly less credible.

Yeah, what Monty said.

Hey there all, I go to Disney a lot and book many many people for the DME service. I will absolutely tell you I have NEVER had an issue with it. Not one time out of the past few years at approximately 4-5 times a year!!!! That having been said I specifically advise all my clients and have said it repeatedly on these boards, DONT EVER PACK ANYTHING OF VALUE OR NOT EASILY REPLACED IN YOUR CHECKED LUGGAGE. Cameras, videocameras, prescriptions, glasses, jewelery, money, traveler's checks, money etc. Should ALWAYS be kept on your person. Many, many hands are on and possibly in your bags that are checked from the deposit with the airline at your check in until they show up in your room, not limited to but potentially including the bag handler who took your bag at your home airport, any inspectors, the bag people who took your bag off the plane in Orlando, the person who loaded it for transport to your resort, and the luggage person who got it to your room. With that many people having access to my bag, I think Ill keep my valuables with me in a carry on!!!! So far luckily I havent had anything go missing, but I also havent allowed the situation to potentially happen either!!! Also if you packed your video camera in your checked luggage, I would be VERY worried as to how well that was being handled and if it would be broken by the time I got it back!!! Belle

Well put Belle! A little common sense can go a long way.

My wife and I have used Disney's Magical Express six or seven times now and we love it! The only complaints I have with DME (and they are minor)are the occasional lengthy wait at Orlando International(depending on which resort you are staying at, day of the week, time of day, etc.), the time it takes for your luggage to get to your room, and how early your DME pick up time is when leaving. Other than these very minor complaints we absolutely love DME and will continue to use it as long as it is offered.

Our Disney vacation "officially" begins when we first step on DME, that's when we first feel the "magic". Riding DME is almost an attraction in and of itself, it's a great prelude to our vacations.

Upvote 0

Tiggerfanatic

We absolutely love DME. The convenience alone makes it worth the price of admission, and when you consider that it's FREE, it becomes a no-brainer. Especially when it was just me & DD - I felt really safe taking the DME buses. It took just about 90 minutes from getting off the plane to standing at the check-in desk both time we have used it.

Upvote 0

leeseem

late arrival-DME

We have an 1130pm arrival at MCO last week of October, then taking ME to All Star Movies. We will have our 14 mos. old and 3.5 yr old with us. Do you think at that hour it will take less time to get to resort than stated 60-90 min average? I keep going back and forth as to whether or not to rent car for convenience, but then you run into renting car seats in addition to car. I'm also thinking kids will fall asleep on bus ride to resort, so I'm leaning towards using ME. We will probably take luggage on bus. Good thing is, grandma and aunt will be on trip to help DH and I with our boys. Any input on car or ME? Thanks! :)

Upvote 0

Phonedave

I have used the DME about 8 - 10 times. It takes between 60 to 90 minutes from the time I walk off the jetway to the time I walk into the lobby of my resort.

I have also never had an issue with luggage. One nice thing about the DME is that if your bag are lost by the airline, DME tracks them down and gets them to your resort, as opposed to you on your cell phone.

As for the person who had their luggage lost by the transport company, that is pretty crappy, especialy the way it was handled by Disney. It is however an isolated incident.

As for being a "captive" of WDW. I used to be a die hard car renter, but then I thought about it. I go to WDW, I don't go to Orlando. If I go to Orlando, then I rent a car, and I also stay off property. If I got to WDW, I stay on property, and have no need for a rental. If you really want to leave property at some time, there are options. You can rent cars on property, or for a single trip there are taxis.

-dave

Upvote 0

romiti

Here's another vote in favor of DME -- it's been great each and every time we've used it over the years. I've got a question related to DME arrival -- I'll be visiting WDW in September, planning on using DME. Unfortunately, my brother, 27, has recently found out that he will have to take a separate flight from my Dad and I, and thus would be arriving in Orlando later than the two of us. Has anyone ever had this problem with DME?? Is it possible to still take advantage of DME if your party is arriving at different times, and would need to take different motor coaches to property?

Upvote 0

Rob562

Here's another vote in favor of DME -- it's been great each and every time we've used it over the years. I've got a question related to DME arrival -- I'll be visiting WDW in September, planning on using DME. Unfortunately, my brother, 27, has recently found out that he will have to take a separate flight from my Dad and I, and thus would be arriving in Orlando later than the two of us. Has anyone ever had this problem with DME?? Is it possible to still take advantage of DME if your party is arriving at different times, and would need to take different motor coaches to property?

Happens all the time. (In fact, they often have people arriving on separate *days*)
Just make sure that each person's flight info is given to DME, and that you give your brother his luggage tags and his transportation voucher out of the DME packet that comes in the mail. It also wouldn't hurt to remind the CM at the DME counter that you have a third Guest coming in later that day.

My friend and I lucked out on our trip next month. He's flying from D.C., I'm flying from Boston. Originally there were more than 90 minutes between our arrivals. But after flight schedule changes and a re-booking on my part, we now arrive less than 15 minutes apart.

-Rob

Upvote 0

dvitali

I would like to make a recomendation to Magical Express people:
Please post several persons at the entrance of the rope queue to direct peoples to the right side of rope when boarding Magical Express. Last time I got on the wrong side of the rope and ended up going on a another resort bus. Luckly the bus driver saw i was on the wrong bus but made a extra stop at Pop Century for me.

Upvote 0

PrincessBitty

We've always had a great experience w/ DME. It is really quick (5-10 at counter, 5-10 in line, 40 to hotel) and it puts you in a wonderful Disney state of mind. (Luggage comes to the room pretty quickly too from our experience). I feel bad about the person with the bad experience, but you can't blame Disney since it is not their responsibility to do anything for you, it is the contracted travel company who is legally responsible. (Plus who packs valuables in checked luggage - that's just asking for problems!) Also, you know your family best - if you decide to do DME, you know well in advance that you will be on property with only the Disney buses as transportation - if you know you will possibly want to leave the grounds, it is best to rent a car - it's not like you get of the DME at Disney and it's a surprise that you can't leave!

Upvote 0

shoppingnut

We've always had a great experience w/ DME. It is really quick (5-10 at counter, 5-10 in line, 40 to hotel) and it puts you in a wonderful Disney state of mind. (Luggage comes to the room pretty quickly too from our experience). I feel bad about the person with the bad experience, but you can't blame Disney since it is not their responsibility to do anything for you, it is the contracted travel company who is legally responsible. (Plus who packs valuables in checked luggage - that's just asking for problems!) Also, you know your family best - if you decide to do DME, you know well in advance that you will be on property with only the Disney buses as transportation - if you know you will possibly want to leave the grounds, it is best to rent a car - it's not like you get of the DME at Disney and it's a surprise that you can't leave!

Totally agree. I don't know who is foolish enough to pack valuables in luggage and expect them to get there/home since there are so many many hands touching you luggage and this is why no one wants to take responsibility, so ultimately it is your responsibility to carry valuables on your person. I NEVER pack valuables and have never had a problem with anything missing from my luggage. Clearly in the rush to take DME they didn't think through the consequences of that decision and so are now mad at DME and Disney.

Upvote 0

mouselvrmom

Please post several persons at the entrance of the rope queue to direct peoples to the right side of rope when boarding Magical Express. Last time I got on the wrong side of the rope and ended up going on a another resort bus. Luckly the bus driver saw i was on the wrong bus but made a extra stop at Pop Century for me.

When we were on ME in January of 07, they did have a person stationed at the rope entrance making sure that people were getting into the correct queue. And they mentioned several times which bus you were waiting for once we were standing there just tomake sure people were in the right line. So hopefully, that sort of thing doesn't happen to often.

Maybe they just do that at busier times of day though?

Upvote 0

Chezman1399

We have an 1130pm arrival at MCO last week of October, then taking ME to All Star Movies. We will have our 14 mos. old and 3.5 yr old with us. Do you think at that hour it will take less time to get to resort than stated 60-90 min average? I keep going back and forth as to whether or not to rent car for convenience, but then you run into renting car seats in addition to car. I'm also thinking kids will fall asleep on bus ride to resort, so I'm leaning towards using ME. We will probably take luggage on bus. Good thing is, grandma and aunt will be on trip to help DH and I with our boys. Any input on car or ME? Thanks! :)

Everytime I've used it for All Star or Pop it's been more like 30-60 minutes. I think they're usually one of the first stops.

Upvote 0

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
The last to trips to the World we have taken two large groups of over 15 people each trip. All used ME but one group and arrived on different flights, different times, differnet days and all got there in less than 90 minutes and all bags made it to the assgined rooms. We will continue to use it for anyone flying into the airport.

Upvote 0

RiversideBunny

.... Last time I got on the wrong side of the rope and ended up going on a another resort bus. ....

On our last trip, they checked my ME voucher four times.
Once at the counter, once to get in the line, once when going out to get on the bus, and then when boarding the bus.
I was starting to get a little annoyed because each time I would put the voucher away in my carryon and then have to get it out again.

Now I understand that they were just double and triple checking to be sure guests got on the right bus.

:king:

Upvote 0

dvitali

Here what happen: after checking in at the counter, the cast member told me to go to this elderly gentleman with the oversized Micky Hand. This gentleman look at my ticket and without saying anything point to the last two rope queue (one was for Pop Century and the other was the All stars). When got to the rope queue the sign post there was between the the each side of the rope with no arrow pointing which way.

Got in line and was about second one to go on. While waiting I was getting annoy about why some other resort buses was getting fill 3 to 4 time in a row than per each one time for Pop and All star. Finally the cast members who was working the rope drop the rope and ask us how many in my party since i was by myself i said "one" told me to go outside and pointed to this one pacticular bus. Which I did. When it was time to board the bus driver without looking just rip the ticket stub out of the book and said ok. Sat on the bus for 5 min. with the other passengers Driver finally came on and saw he have two Pop tickets (me and a family of three) he came on the loud speaker and say that he would have to make slight detour to drop us off first before heading for the All star. That was when I realized that I stood in the wrong line.

Upvote 0

MickeyspalJim

Last year We flew into Orlando 5 times and used Magical Express. After the walk and shuttle ride into the main terminal, We were downstairs at the ME counter in just a few short mins. One time I had just gotten over to the chairs across from the ME counter and gotten seated, when My wife was walking away from the counter having completed our checkin in mins. flat. They assign You a line to walk through depending on Your resort. At the end of the line they ask your resort and radio over to the desk that handles the buses and assigns You a bus. Depending on How full the bus is already as You board and How many guests want to place luggage onboard under the bus, determins How long of a wait You have once on the bus. We may have waited 20 mins. for the worse case senario and then headed to the resort. The trip was about 30-35 mins. each time for Us last year. Again, it depends on the time of Day and traffic. Most of our trips, We arrive on Sunday at different times, so We are not hitting busy workday traffic. Another time factor is how many different resort stops, with a max. of 4, and of course, which stop is yours. We have been using ME since it was started, and have never taken 90 mins. or more that has been mentioned earlier, so Maybe it is just the luck of the draw? Some come in When there are many arriving flights, which makes sense that the whole process will take longer. With less people flying lately, they may well wait much longer to leave the airport till they get enough passengers to make the trip worth while. There have been stories of guests having to be transported by Van due to the lack of passengers, so anything is possible. The buses are clean, comfortable, and Yes, it is just an earlier start to the Disney Magic, so why not just sit back and enjoy the whole experience.

Upvote 0

Phonedave

Unless they have changed it since I was there last in April, there are a number of people at the entrance to the rope queue.

They take your voucher, check it to make sure it is stamped by the desk person, and then say "Beach Club, right this way, have a magical vacation" and motion down the lane you are supposed to be in.

Maybe when you were there they were all off for a gang toidy or something. :)

-dave

Upvote 0
We used Disney's Magical Express on Wednesday evening and left the Wilderness Lodge at 5:00 p.m. to head to the airport. On our way off the property we stopped by the Polynesian and Grand Floridian resorts...we had a good experience using the service; however, when we arrived in Florida a few weeks ago we rented a car from Alamo since we were going to the ocean as well. It seems like there are tons of Magical Express buses that are constantly taking and bringing guests back from the airport.

Upvote 0
If stating the facts makes me less credible, I guess I am guilty. My prisoner point is that my family likes to eat off the grounds at times( Like 1:00AM after the parks). We also like to have our own car to go where we want and when we want, not when the mouse tells us.

As far as the lost bag, yeah, it could be viewed as my fault. My anger goes towards Disney for washing their hands of it and trusting Mears to make it right(Which they didn't)!

I can sympathize. My husband left his laptop bag on the ME bus last year, and we had a heck of a time even getting information about whom to call. I love both Disney and ME, and my husband was at fault for leaving it on the bus, but the Mears people were not helpful at all.

That being said, I will still take ME due to the savings and convenience. If we need to go elsewhere, we simply take a cab. If it's not too often, it still beats the price of a rental car and gas!

Upvote 0
Sorry for the double post, but I didn't answer your question. Our next trip we arrive around 6:00. If there was an evening "extra magic hours" event that night we would go to a park, but as it is we will have a quick dinner and enjoy the hotel pool, then get a good night's sleep and start early the next a.m. If your stay is short or you just can't wait, by all means visit the park that is open latest (often Epcot, and Illuminations is a great way to start a trip!).

Upvote 0

Shere_Khan

Leaving in 9 days and using magical express.
Just a question, all you need on your bag is the yellow ME tags and they will take care of getting your luggage to your resort for you? So we skip baggage claim?

If we wanted to pick up our bags at baggage claim, do we not put the tags on at all?

I am a little nervous about letting them handle it, although it seems most of you have had good experiences.
I have never booked a trip or done this before on my own, so I am very nervous that I will do something wrong.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom