MAGICal DLP News, Rumours & Thoughts

LondonTom

What do you think?

The hotel needed some renovation & upgrades. But I am not a fan of having it purely themed after Disney royalty. While some more subtle integrations actually look nice, I particularly dislike the heavy use of all the character art everywhere. It feels like some Mattel product managers took over from the Imagineers to make their version of the Disneyland Hotel.

I'm becoming worried about Cafe Fantasia 🤣

The IP additions, just seem a bit odd and random. Without actually adding anything in particular to any of the rooms?

Reminds me a lot of how they are updating the Grand Floridian in WDW

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

What do you think?

The hotel needed some renovation & upgrades. But I am not a fan of having it purely themed after Disney royalty. While some more subtle integrations actually look nice, I particularly dislike the heavy use of all the character art everywhere. It feels like some Mattel product managers took over from the Imagineers to make their version of the Disneyland Hotel.

Nice. But too hard with the IP. Sequoia and to an extent Newport got the balance right with subtle additions you may miss if not looking for them. Like the Fantasy, I’d rather be in a luxurious environment that so happens to be owned by the company as opposed to being reminded of it everywhere.

fradz

Nice. But too hard with the IP. Sequoia and to an extent Newport got the balance right with subtle additions you may miss if not looking for them. Like the Fantasy, I’d rather be in a luxurious environment that so happens to be owned by the company as opposed to being reminded of it everywhere.
Pretty much 100% agree with this. Looks overall good but could be more subtle on the IP.

mrflo

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the screen cap artwork is a placeholder

I hope so. I am sure it might not be a low quality screen cap that will end on the hotel's walls. But looking at recent Disney Princess re-themed hotel rooms at WDW they used a lot of this poster style artwork as well.

mrflo

I know this is not the Imagineering forum. Just as the side note - it be would nice to have some framed concept art like the ones by Mary Blair for Cinderella or for Sleeping Beauty by Eyvind Earle in the renovated Disneyland Hotel. This would fit with the new Princess theme but add some classy Disney legacy.

UpAllNight

It’s been a week since I was in Paris and I’m missing it.

I was reflecting how I get the same feelings for Universal Orlando but it takes me ages to get psyched back up for Disney in Florida.

I think next year we’re going to go back to Paris and take a year to explore some European theme parks like Efteling, Europa Park and Phantasialand

I’d like to try Tokyo and Hong Kong Disney but I feel the former is the kind of hectic experience I want to avoid as I get older.

Disney World feels so tiring right now. I hope to one day rediscover my love for the place. I typically do when I’m there but the planning is just intense & I honestly, the half hour early entry is such a deal breaker. Come on Disney, an hour for EACH park. I think people pay enough for this perk that Paris, and Universal seem to offer with ease.

fradz

I think next year we’re going to go back to Paris and take a year to explore some European theme parks like Efteling, Europa Park and Phantasialand

I’d like to try Tokyo and Hong Kong Disney but I feel the former is the kind of hectic experience I want to avoid as I get older.

If you need tips for any European park (or at least the 40ish I've been to) or for the most popular ones in Japan, feel free to ask at any point in time; including my recommendations based on what you're after! I visit those 3 European parks very often.

UpAllNight

I
If you need tips for any European park (or at least the 40ish I've been to) or for the most popular ones in Japan, feel free to ask at any point in time; including my recommendations based on what you're after! I visit those 3 European parks very often.

I don’t think anything matches the first experience at a park, or on a new ride, so I’d be excited to hear about your recommendations in Europe beyond those I’ve mentioned. No need to get into the U.K. as I’ve been to them all. Also been to Port Aventura a few times.

I think the new coaster in Warner bros Madrid warrants a visit

fradz

Ok so I'm skipping all the ones you've mentioned in recommandations (if you need tips to maximize your days, let me know). For the rest, I'll try to divide it into sub-sections:

Nordics:
Liseberg: Actually one of the top park in Europe. It's really integrated into the city, feels like a place where locals enjoy some time with their families. They have some really really good coasters (Balder, Helix), some excellent flat rides, their seasonal events are top notch (halloween & christmas, but in christmas they close Helix which is a shame).
Djurs Sommerland & Farup Sommerland: These two have seen a lot of investment lately and have some really good roller coasters, with *some* theming. I'm grouping them as IMO they come as a package, you'd do both. If you're a LEGO fan, you can also do Legoland Billund and visit the Lego house, then your Danish trip will be complete with Tivoli Gardens. You can even go further south and go to Hansa Park in Germany. I wouldn't recommend Heide Park though, I only liked 3 attractions there.
Tivoli Gardens & Grona Lund: I'm grouping these two as they have the same characteristics: A lot of charm (one in beautiful gardens, one by the side of the water), both parts of beautiful capital cities, a lot of history (both more than 100years old, Tivoli Gardens inspired Walt...). Grona Lund is a bit crazy, everything there is tightly packed and intertwined, it's a very unique experience
I've also had a lot of fun in Finnish parks, including a completely empty PowerPark with 14x Junker, but it's fairly far.

Benelux:
Walibi World: An excellent line-up of coasters (with Untamed being among the very very best in Europe, but also Lost Gravity, Goliath and X-Press), a crazy Halloween event and it's looking to build even more RMCs!
Toverland: The park grew from an indoor playground to a fully fledged 'outdoors' theme park, with beautifully themed zones. Great Wing Coaster Fenix, great boat ride, lots of fun rides. Also, it's ideally located between your Dutch parks and Phantasialand. Or you can visit my home and then:
Walibi Belgium and Plopsaland De Panne: The two parks for which I've had the longest time an AP (I have walked to Walibi before, having lived so close to it😂). Both have some gems but are not amazing. Walibi: Kondaa, Challenge of Tuttankhamon (+ Popcorn Revenge, Psyké Underground, Tiki Waka and Pulsar). Plopsaland: Ride to Happiness, Anubis, Heidi the Ride. For my wife, not much beats a front row nighttime ride on Ride to Happiness, with music banging in your ears. Except maybe Hagrid's at night)

(rest of) Europe:
Parc Astérix: The park is about to open Toutatis, a multi-launch coaster that looks like it will be insane. Oziris is a great ride, the theming overall in the park is honestly not bad, they have good rides (not just coasters) and shows, it includes some unique things (don't want to spoil too much). It's also close to Paris so easy to combine with other activities (DLP...). The negatives: the local crowds are from the bad suburbs of Paris and therefore guests behaviour can be shocking.
Gardaland: Right by the Garda lake (hence the name), thus very easy to combine with Verona, Sirmione and all other beauties of Nothern Italy, this park has a few gems like the beautiful dark-ride I Corsari, a great Fuga da Atlantide (water attraction), a few very nice B&M coasters. Really good to squeeze in your dose of parks while visiting nearby things. You can also visit Movieland Studios, about 10 min from the park, but it doesn't warrant a full day imo. I recommend spending the evening in Lazise, by the water :)
Energylandia: Located between the beautiful Krakow and the tragic Auschwitz, this park is your Polish Thorpe Park. Lots of thrills (Zadra, Hyperion, Abyssus, Formula, ....) the park is constantly building new roller coasters). I found the park to feel a bit "unfinished" when I went, as in you could see lots of wiring everywhere. Other than that, 17 roller coasters + 3 in construction ... Do I need to say more?
You also have Futuroscope that has a very "old school EPCOT" feel (@marni1971 ), the two parks in Madrid that you know about,

I could talk about many more like: Tripsdrill, Holiday Park & Movie Park Germany, some more parks in Germany, Italy, Belgium, France, Austria, Turkey,... But this is already a good place to start.

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
I was watching a video of the Paris Pirates for another topic, but I have to comment here about how badly the Chase scene was changed in 2017.

Previously you had the various bits tell a cohesive story. The pirates were after the women, but one villager was fighting back. Basic set up and pay off that was revealed as you floated by.

Now you have the turntables with pirates chasing women, Jack in the barrel finding out about the treasure and another pirate and villager fighting each other for unrelated reasons. What's worse is that the key the pooped pirate is holding makes no sense for DLP because there is no treasure room at the end of the ride, just treasure hidden in a cave. The scene doesn't work because nothing ties together anymore.

Again, like the chicken auction in the US parks, the changes here aren't bad because of their intention, but because they're sloppy in execution. Some minor alterations would have gone a long way.

mrflo

Do you think they will announce a Mandalorian update for Star Tours or anything else new for the parks?

Here is also an interview clip where Favreau was asked if he thought about what a potential ride for “The Mandalorian” might look like.

LondonTom

Do you think they will announce a Mandalorian update for Star Tours or anything else new for the parks?

Here is also an interview clip where Favreau was asked if he thought about what a potential ride for “The Mandalorian” might look like.

Based on absolutely nothing but want. I am going with the announcement of a different Star Wars land for Paris based primarily in the Mando-Verse (allows the greatest range of characters!) with it set up as though we are going to the Navarro we saw in Season 3 😂 But that feels very optimistic, just because I can't believe they don't want to bring Savi's and Dok-Ondar's equivalent shops to DLP.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom